Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

There's a small issue with the mouse capture and rendering in gnome 3 that I thought I'd share because I found it interesting.

Here's the configuration: you have two systems running synergy through an ssh tunnel. The client system is running gnome 3 with arch linux, full up to date system with the standard kernel. When you boot the client system, you have a keyboard attached but no mouse. You login locally and startx to load gnome, standard regular session. Then you start up sshd, and set up the tunnel for synergy, kick off synergy on the synergy host.

What happens when you do this is, you have the mouse and keyboard available to the client, but there's no pointer - the pointer is still there, and you can see it disturb the text as it moves across but it's like a ghost, you can't actually see it, you seem to see through it. You can fix it by plugging in a physical mouse and moving it the slightest bit. I've seen a related issue where you'll load up gnome 3 on a laptop with a related lack of mouse display; easiest way I found a way to fix that was by clicking into xsettings in the upper right, opening the mouse section and it'll show the mouse at that point. Could be particular to my setup but I don't think so.

Anyone seen any related peculiarities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have OpenBSD running on one laptop; it's a bit antiquated in ways and you can really hurt yourself easily if you're inexperienced, but it is fairly easy to get up and running with gnome 3 which works perfectly, and it will be quite secure if you're not a moron and open it up. I like using it for an endpoint to shell into other boxes - if you're running openbsd on a laptop, those micro belkin usb wireless kits work really well and have nice blue blinken lights.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

By saying old and fully supported, I imagine a Pentium pro think pad.

it's extremely lightweight as far as memory footprint and it'll run on most anything; usually keeps itself under 512mb, rarely hits swap. A lot of the elevators run it for example. You can in fact run a multi-terabyte fileserver on a 386 with it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

really doubt it since it's the default mode of operation for the latest RHEL!

it is; if you're on arch or tracking current, in gnome 3.12 /.14 classic no longer works. If you're looking for that gnome classic feel, use mate which is the continuation of gnome 2 and works well.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

solaris and bsd can't run mainline gnome anymore.
  • solaris 11 ships with gnome 2.something from before systemd.

• freebsd has a "systemd-shim" that emulates systemd behavior + a patchset for gnome.

• openbsd/netbsd systems are probably just poo poo outta luck

actually openbsd supports gnome 3 flawlessly, and as of a few months ago gnome 3 is live on freebsd as well but still a bit rough last I checked

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

why would openbsd support gnome flawlessly but freebsd be rough?

Because they're more or less managed entirely separately, although they do exchange some code. Theo forked OpenBSD a long time ago, and they're quite different at this point. As I recall the port to OpenBSD was primarily due to one dude who did the bulk of the work; apparently most of their devs work on laptops with gnome; who knew?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think the BSD community expects you to go to great lengths to deploy to their architecture. I expect eventually they'll work in compatibility with systemd of some sort, as right now it's a lot of work to port over.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it came up in the security thread yesterday - it's only if you're tracking -current, which means you're deliberately mucking around with a testing version. No one runs -current in production.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pram posted:

More like no one runs FreeBSD in production lol

right; just netflix, dyndns, people with taste

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's deprecated on all of them, but available on some for legacy support.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Someone find me a fast nvidia desktop card that isn't huge and loud. Right now I'm using an ati 7750, which is okay but the main reason I picked that particular card is it was one of the only reasonably modern cards I could find that wasn't two slots with a huge fan. I'd gladly swap for a comparable nvidia which would actually have full 3d support for me (although they'll add the ati eventually I'm sure). Also all graphics stuff is bad and the less time I think about it the happier I am. Remember manually editing modelines?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I built an arch system a bit ago - at the time I hadn't even installed a linux in probably five years and didn't even know it existed. But I had a set of requirements and older hardware, and even attempted I think Fedora and a couple of others first, but ultimately I couldn't get all I wanted done with other distros. The main reason I chose it is I wanted full disk encryption with a key synched to it, and none of the other systems gave me that option.

I wouldn't use Arch unless it was a system I didn't mind being broken from time to time, and expecting it to require some work to configure. If you need the flexibility of a linux from scratch with much less effort it's a good choice. I mean, I can't see any reasonable use cases for say, slackware, but Arch has its uses. For most uses there are easier choices like Debian / Centos or whatever most suits your wants.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

i think all fast cards are huge, though nvidia cards post 600-series haven't been too loud. the gtx750 are the current short/single-slot/htpc nvidia card of choice, should be a couple steps up performance wise from the 7750

I was able to find exactly one card that fit with this, a Zotac low profile. Finally have 3d; also it formats the desktop slightly better, and the nvidia-settings is really nice, thanks

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I've been using PC-BSD lately, and I've been seriously impressed with how it manages the software and upgrading. It'll make a snapshot, and test everything in a new chroot environment if it needs to before installing, checks everything for sanity. Then when you reboot if anything at all goes wrong, you can load back to the past several snapshots like that. You can tell it how and when to make new images or how many previous environments you keep.

So if an upgrade goes wrong you just revert, everything is exactly where it was (all the packages and files are back to the correct versions - like it never happened). There are packages but you can build your own easily too if you need particular options; can't really think of anything it doesn't do that I'm missing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

If it weren't for sublime text I would probably unironically use PC-BSD

Virtualbox works a treat on it, set up a vm if you want and sublime away

e: actually, I just looked and it's in ports and packages ready to go

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 19, 2015

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

nosl posted:

If not, can't help idiocy.

Lol, PC-BSD != Linux

PC-BSD != good BSD

It's just poo poo. Install FreeBSD.

This is an amusing post, as if you read the handbook today at a number of points it'll say 'oh btw, if you're interested in running a desktop, you might be interested in PC-BSD which automatically takes care of all this for you if you don't feel like compulsively janitoring your system'. It's run by core members of FreeBSD. When you run uname, it'll show FreeBSD 10.1 release. You can transparently switch between the two just by changing the repository and a few config files. They are in effect the same base system, with PC-BSD giving you a few minor additions to make it nicer for desktop use, and somewhat hardened security, like having up fail2ban and pf preconfigured for you. Also it has some really nice graphical applications for managing things like the ZFS volume manager, that thing is really neat.

Tell us more about your bike shed though. I don't get why people running other systems rip on BSD over poo poo that's not even accurate, I mean why do you even care are you secretly afraid you might be missing out I don't care what system do you run does it work for you that's great, how's the diet are you getting enough vegetables, they say you should eat all the colors of the rainbow you know

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I also had to mess with things in a vm to get the video to load, maybe check how you're embedding it and test on some different clients

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh. I guess we didn't turn on https on getendless.com yet.

https://endlessm.com

would you mind just posting the vimeo link directly

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Zombywuf posted:

dbus status: still poo poo

I had some bs with a system the other day, after an update it started running out of processes for no reason. Tracked it down to dbus, don't know exactly what the issue is but it is spawning zombie processes, which eventually hits the proc limit for the machine. I have papered over it for the time being by increasing the number of processes. I'm hopeful that a future system update will fix the forking issue. Or maybe it's something else but I can't be bothered to investigate further

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

babies havin rabies posted:

GNOME 2 was fine. what the gently caress happened?

speaking generally, not about GNOME 3 specifically

Gnome 2 was forked and lives on as Mate, and is still more or less the same as you remember. The Gnome 3 crew decided to pursue what they feel is a more modern user interface. I think underneath gnome 3 has attempted to resolve a lot of the pain for developers by removing whatever legacy cruft, with the aim of making code easier to write and maintain.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

so loving future posted:

erlang as well (which is basically prolog). everybody hates erlang, but literally just because it's different and weird. it's enjoyable if you use it for more than 5 minutes.

it's good for building high reliability systems as well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

now I do. that's neat. fortunately ive never needed that thanks to only being a programmer after the year 2012

it's still useful for automating processes you couldn't easily otherwise

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

i thought the freebsd ports system was good. where you just have a huge hierarchy of make files and say "oh look another one of those games where you push around blocks to the right place, nice,. make && make install"

you can still do this except it's usually just one command now. mostly you can set it all to auto-update so it just seamlessly patches itself, works well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ahmeni posted:

its nice but its even nicer with a windows backend

yeah; I didn't even realize in-home streaming was a thing, and happened to see it was available when I had the client / server on the same network at once and gave it a try. What else is neat about it though is if you get to desktop (I just bring up the adv options menu after launching a game) you can also just stream the desktop with it. Handy for games but just for general streaming it works fine as well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you can change the default icon and still have the foot in Mate, I have the foot on mine. if that's the killer app you can't do without

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

blowfish posted:

2017 year of macbook on the linux

the permissions toggle on the right is actually good and i wish it came by default with every linux distro, where is this from?
alternatively and even better please make linux handle permissions in a way that is low effort for dumb desktop users

i just ran into this with lubuntu on homesrevers that need to be usable for computer illiterate normal people. why does ubuntu a self described desktop OS for end users not let you write to any added hard drives after you plug them in and format them by default?
i will have to write "open terminal, type sudo chmod -R og+rwx /mnt/, enter password" on a post it note stuck to the loving servers

just look at the group that is associated with the /mnt directory, grant it write permissions if it doesn't already have it, and then add whatever user you want to be able to write to drives to that group. when you create new users add them to that group. alternately, you can lock it down further by creating a group just for that purpose, and change the group to that

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a dork is a whale penis, or so the urban legend goes

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Marzzle posted:

gonna post some pics of bad gnome3 behavior:

also i am bad at picking IDEs/videogames/tv tia

what's Sam_Brownback.htm

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Oldsmobile posted:

I'm sure there's a market for small, cheap devices for mostly random surfing. But weather those are phones, tablets or small laptops depends on what's available and most people will certainly not be willing to pay 1k+ for anything of the sort.

it's butt weather

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yeah, that could be the issue; using a ps/2 keyboard may fix it. I recently had a similar issue where I updated a system without a keyboard attached, which resulted in the keyboard no longer being found on boot. After some digging it turned out that behavior is intentional, and you have to have a keyboard connected when you update if you want it to be detected so you can login directly.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this entire digression into the details of keyboard protocols is purestrain linux. the reason why I agreed with NBSD about it being possibly related to usb is due to how the drivers load while the comp is booting. if you are early in the boot sequence (for example, you're being prompted for the encryption key to unlock the root) you have drivers for input, but you do not have the full kernel loaded and are not there at the shell with the standard userland yet. And so you may find yourself being prompted to type some poo poo and find you have no keyboard

in those situations, plugging in a ps/2 keyboard if available may be preferable to janitoring your early boot process, or attempting to work with the devs to change the behavior

and yes that can and will happen with a modern system

lol at the discussion though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I like vi. Wouldn't call it a good editor as such, but it's reliable and mostly consistent regardless of where you are, and it's always there.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pram posted:

its like ending up in ed. wtf is even going on with that pos

ed is bad but it's so simple on the offhand you have to use it and have forgotten you can just look it up and figure it out in a few minutes. you need about three commands and they're all one letter

most of unix makes more sense when you remember it's 1) Berkeley in 2) the late 70s written by 3) dirty hippies

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ed came from engineers at bell labs

vi came from dirty hippies at berkeley

emacs came from dirty hippie engineers at mit

agreed, but I would contend that most of kernighan thompson richie et al also got dirty af at Bell Labs

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Truga posted:

The best way to beat basic programming into people is still having them write said programs onto paper.

But holy lol who the gently caress writes kernel modules without an IDE :wtchris:

programming was brutal for most of its past compared with today. unix was initially written largely without an ide to speak of. as was c, basic, fortran, probably large parts of the early linux kernel and so on. early program loops were accomplished by physically connecting one of the ends of the paper instructions to the other and feeding it back through. can you imagine having to manually flip switches to change your code? I don't do much heavy development, but I don't mind writing small programs out on paper or doing some light development at the shell. writing assembly by hand and debugging physical machines like they did though, no thanks

e: typo

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 11, 2016

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it was mentioned upthread a while ago, but if you want to run Windows games on linux, provided they're on Steam you can stream them from a windows machine to the linux client. it works quite well.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Have you considered using OpenBSD, the operating system that is secure by default?

OpenBSD is actually somewhat more user friendly today, and even has modern desktops like gnome and mate. It does lack some software i'm sure most folks would want, and it doesn't support vms. If you need a nice firewall or whatever it's a fine choice.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.1/mac.4

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the freebsd 11.x mac(4) man page you dingus

freebsd and netbsd are considerably more up-to-date than openbsd

freebsd 5.0 was officially released in 2003

openbsd is literally 15 years behind freebsd on a very basic security feature that proprietary UNIX has had since the early 1990s

if you felt like you needed it you could either run FreeBSD or just port it. OpenBSD decided to stay with discretionary access control for simplicity. it's a fine, well designed os. it's not appropriate for everything but yes it makes a nice firewall. you can run gigabit with it without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

selinux is necessary and important whether you like it or not

he was talking about using openbsd as a network firewall, which is loving lol

herp derp just let me set up this $3,000, 1 kw xeon to handle as much traffic as a $250 embedded machine with eight cores that consumes 15w

i said nothing of the sort, now you're just talking trash nbsd

about 250 would cover fine hardware for the task