Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If anyone wants into the facebook group have any of the goons here hit me up!
Yeah sure... But only if there's plenty of knob pics. :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

surrender posted:

Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

Here's a demo video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg
Available January 21st, 500$.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 14, 2016

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

I finally bit the bullet after years of contemplation and got my first eurorack stuff yesterday. :woop:
Here, listen to me having fun while drowning into grimdark ambient droning scifi hellscapes:
https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/resin
https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/screeching-to-a-halt

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

good jovi posted:

nice. I wish the Lifeforms had been around when I started, it looks like a lot of fun.
It is! It's got just enough features to be fun, flexible and great sounding without being too bare bones.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lasciate esperanza, voi ch'intra... i mean welcome to eurocrack where youll always keep chasin that first hit
diggin the weirdness
Yea. RIP my wallet
Thanks!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
A couple of miscellaneous thoughts, you can take 'em or leave 'em as you please... :)

There's a new version of Disting (mk4) coming out next month which has a small dot matrix display instead of the LED array. It might make using the module a little less arcane and it can also mean that there will be more of the older models available 2nd hand.

Have you looked at Mutable Instruments modules? I think that they strike a fair balance between clarity and cramming extra functionality behind buttons or switchable modes and the custom firmwares people have done for them extend their usefulness even more. For waveshaping, I'd take a look at MI Warps. It's not analog though but it uses analog modeling and is super versatile. I'd also consider MI Links instead of the buffered multiples for added utility if you don't specifically need two mults.

For VCAs, I'd go for something that can be switched between linear and exponential and which has daisy-chained outputs so you can use the outputs either individually or mixed together. I have MI Veils being delivered to me today but there's plenty of others out there as well.

Maths is good.

Overall, I wouldn't stress too much about getting the perfect modules. Slowly extend your system and trade away things that don't work out for you. Of course you already know this but it bears repeating :)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

sliderule posted:

I find it strange that an essential modular component is not VCAs with gain over 0dB, and more specifically level shifters between audio, envelope, and CV ranges. The number of times I have needed to actually amplify a signal has been numerous, and my only options are uVCA's exponential response, which are normally accounted for.

As an example, I have a limiter patch that feeds back mix output through a rectifier and into Maths ch1 signal in whose inverted output is added to ch2 positive offset and minimumed with the mix level. (P.S.: I get a lot more mileage from Kinks than I used to.)

My primary problem with flexibility of the patch is that I can't push Maths ch1 high enough due to the level of the audio in.

Tell me there's something obvious that I'm missing. What do you use for level shifting?

It definitely feels like there should be a more elegant solution out there but you could get an amplifier module like Doepfer A-183-3

edit: do you have an oscilloscope? I have a super cheap digital one from Aliexpress that is invaluable when doing more precise stuff with CVs.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 19, 2017

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Been gearing my eurorack setup towards a relatively compact (168hp total+external mixer) livejam-capable rig and it's getting pretty fun! Here's a bit of goa trance for taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxEjxwnCoA

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

So after posting 'show me a song without bleeps' I thought that was pretty stupid, so I have done more digging around modular. I found some pretty awful stuff and found the more uptempo, edgy synthwave/dreadwave stuff is quite achievable. This video decided me, a 10 minute 'challenge' where someone builds a song from scratch. Clearly he has his patches ready, but it did reveal to me how it's possible to make 'a song' in a style I really like even without a keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaw_6XGLPo

So from this and a few others I've realised that what I want out of a modular system initially is a bass voice, a melody voice, and a percussion voice that can be predefined in pitch and arrangement. After that, it's all fair game. I would appreciate if someone could correct any of my misconceptions! For basic sound it seems that an Oscillator + Envelope Filter + VCA is required. To arrange sounds into melodies I'll need a clock/clock-divider, sequencer and a pitch quantizer (?). Drum/Sample modules are just a matter of personal choice, it seems, and I already have guitar pedals for delay and reverb (for now)

- I take it that I need to have two modules for melody/bass sounds? I don't want a simple octave-down. Is there something I need to look for to avoid the 'p-p-p-p-p' I hear when I turn the pitch down on synth instruments into lower octaves?

- It seems that a Pressure Points and Brains are a go-to for sequencing pitch, altering it and providing a gate, but am I overlooking something? The Doepfer A-155/154 seem to do the same sequencing but can't be 'played' at all, despite having 8 steps instead of four. Is there something in between?

- In terms of sequencing a whole song, it sppears I can look at either simply subdividing the clock and then piping that into something that will turn on/off parts of the instrumentation and pitch shift, or some dedicated hardware. The Arturia Beatstep Pro seems like a natural choice, but it's not exactly the kind of dial/patch/button thing I was after. Are there any rack-mounted alternatives that aren't as expensive as the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms? It seems like a no-brainer easy-mode, but is also more than £600.
Yeah, Colin Benders is awesome! Check out his own youtube channel too. He’s got a lot of jams there as well as videos where he shows in more detail how he builds songs on the modular.

- For melody sequencing I would consider options that provide you with several tracks since you are planning on having at least two (bass+melody). I have a Stilson Hammer mk2 that I’m pretty happy with (after using Rene + a PP with Brains) but there are other options out there as well. The Hammer does 4 tracks with pitch and gate and if you have leftover tracks, they can always be used to sequence drums or do cv step modulation of whatever.

- A lot of sequencers (like Hammer and Rene) and some VCOs (digitals mostly like Braids and Klavis Twin Waves) have built-in quantizator. I’ve managed without a dedicated one this far.

- For long-rear end sequencing that is synced to a tempo, like changing a song’s structure, I’d take a look at Pamela`s Workout or Ornaments+Crime. Haven’t used either one but they might work... But doing this isn’t something I’d worry about yet since I would advise you to first get hands on with evolving the songs manually before automating it to get a better feel for what your exact requirements will be...

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Plavski posted:

Thought this new loopop video was p. cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOAgqcM2eI

That IS cool and very tempting. Too bad my case is already full... :frogout:

...since I bought Morphagene this week! :getin:

Here I'm putting some Erik Satie through the thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDxvFDRYgs

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
My first DIY Eurorack thing!

It's a switched multiple. I crammed in 12 jacks which are divided to banks of 7 + 5. The tight spacing prevents me from using patch cables with thicker plugs but for me it's a good tradeoff. I only have like a handful of short Make Noise cables that I can't use here in every jack..

The panel is made out of a cigar box. It looks nice but as a material it's a little too flimsy and it likely won't last forever so I'll switch to acrylic or something once I get more intimate with the local library's laser cutter.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Nice. For your next one, grab some ON-OFF-ON SPDT switches, a 10k resistor, and some diodes and make a 2-output OR circuit for gate combining.

That’s a good idea, thanks! Some brave souls (like mylarmelodies) use a switched multiple for mixing gates too but I’d rather not take any chances...

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to do more interesting things with simple sines and layers of distortion. Simple saturation isn't enough; I want to explore the kinds of effect chains and parameter modulation that can create complex harmonics and gritty textures out of one single sine.

The problem is, most often I just end up overdoing the saturation part and getting squarewaves, or any sort of movement or time-based effect I add in an attempt to coax weird harmonics ends up a sludgy mess. I can't seem to nail down a process for turning a simple sub bass into an evolving project.

As you might have guessed, this post was heavily-inspired by my recently-rekindled fascination with the DOOM soundtrack. I also have a sneaking suspicion some of my favourite D&B right now is constructed in a similar way - not with mountains of detuned oscillators or FM, from the ground up by bussing out the sub bass to judicious effect chains.

Any ideas for starting points with this kind of thing? Particular time-based effects like phasers, and how to employ them to coax out harmonics/inharmonics from a sine? In what order to stack them against saturation effects?

It's been a while since I watched that GDC talk so I don't recall the details but I think Mick Gordon layered a lot of different signal chains together. He probably introduced a lot of the movement by crossfading or sidechaining between the different layers which, individually, might be fairly static for the most part. I'd also wager that he ended up doing a lot of stuff "in post" by chopping and layering selected bits of the original recordings by hand to form the final riffs too.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

On one hand I want this really bad, on the other I don't have enough VCOs in the Shared system to justify dumping the old rené in favor of this.

You can, and should, use the outputs for other stuff besides just pitches and gates.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Looks like it would be meeblip se (if I can find where I’ve shelved it) and Strymon Magneto for me. Neat!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Kind of wanting a new drum machine. I love to collect them and jam on them and don’t really care about finishing songs or whatever, it’s just how I like to relax after work.

What are some good options in 2019? I have a couple MFBs that are mostly great. Was eyeing the TR8s but none of the YouTube demos have really sold me on the sound of it. I like the Tempest a lot, and the Alpha base is interesting. Tempest is also like 8 years old now and still expensive. The Rytm looks okay but I’m not crazy about electron gear overall

I saw Vlad Kreimer demo the Pulsar today. If you can wait a while that would be the perfect machine to get lost in to. It was insane.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

ColdPie posted:

Folks interested in sharing their favorite synth youtubers, or other content creators? Here's some of my favorites.

SynthMania - Amazing keyboardist. Breaks down 80's - 90's trance styles.

Alex Ball - A couple months ago someone here posted his amazing hour-long Roland documentary, although he also has shorter documentaries on stuff like the LinnDrum and the Prophet. He also posts amazing original songs often played on 80s and 90s synths. Of all the musicians I follow, I'm most jealous of his skills.

Once Upon a Synth - Posts cool introductions to designing specific sounds, and thoughts on composing.

What you got?

Good stuff, subscribed them all. Here’s a few that most are probably familiar with but let’s get them out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7qlc5EVydo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5WnuLzQzk
Look Mum No Computer. Mostly centered around crazy DYI stuff but there’s a lot of more general interest synth stuff and nice song performances too. Probably best known for the furby organ and 100osc synth projects. His way of presenting stuff is not everyone’s cup of tea but I think it adds to the charm and it definitely stands out from the drier stuff out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28sf60EVcqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJvgGT1njk
Hainbach. Features a lot of somewhat more esoteric ways of creating electronic music. Analog tape, lab equipment and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8od1a1mySU
Loopop. Synth overviews and tutorials so not terribly exciting but still a great resource for feeding your GAS. There’s less time spent in listening oscillator waveforms and filter sweeps than in Sonic Labs videos which is a huge plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0N6kr6H6_Q
Ricky Tinez. Mostly jams with small, mobile setups but there’s always good overviews of how they are constructed.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I made a eurorack case out of an old czechoslovakian ammo crate! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHzJ3-6-WU

It was a suitable size for 63hp, 6u although there was a 1.5cm gap left in the middle between the rows that I decided to fill with a row of clock utilities that is tailored to my own needs. There's a master clock (with 2 outs because you always end up multing it anyway), quarter division, switchable division (8/16/32), reset (every 4 bars), offbeat/snare clock with a "roll" or "fill" button and a 2 track 16 step mini sequencer. The sequencer is a bit similar to Look Mum No Computer's Big Button. It has a switch for picking the active track (a/b) and buttons that add or remove a gate to current time. A-track outputs a normal gate and B-track outputs something that resembles an envelope (made with just a resistor and a capacitor). There's also a DIY version of Euclidean Circles Six Switches expander on the row because they were sold out at Schneidersladen when I ordered the rack rails and power :D

I really like how it turned out. It looks nice and it's unique. The size works pretty well since it's portable but big enough to jam with for a whole night if you don't mind smaller modules.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Some eurorack progressive psytechtrance (I guess?). It goes without saying in this thread but I need to spend more time training and using my existing gear rather than eyeing new modules :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNtDi0H7uvE

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

e: lol it looks like thats pretty much every eurorack envelope follower (generates triggers from input) so let me ask instead - does anyone have any recommendations?

You probably won’t get sensible results from recorded music with an envelope follower. Even busy drum beats, like the amen, are probably stretching it. Look up transient detection algorithms and be prepared to work with fourier transforms and other mathy stuff if you want something as universal as you’re hinting towards. Doing it in real time is likely even more difficult.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Is the classical music jam still going on? I did a crunchy lofi take on some Bach with some eurorack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-igSlRbogs

Sequencing: Nerdseq
Sound sources: Twin Waves, Manis Iteritas, 3x prOk Drums
Filters: Sinc Bucina, Three Sisters, Cinnamon
FX: Mimeophon, Freez, Kompressor
+mixers, envelopes & VCAs

Yesterday when working on this piece my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer crapped itself and let out some magic smoke. Mixing on the modular kinda sucks when you don't have any stereo mixers and have gotten used to the convenience of per-track EQs and sends. I might get the just-announced Tascam Model 12 as a replacement/upgrade. It seems to suit my needs pretty well where the mixer is primarily for jamming but then if I want to work on a track in a DAW I can record the individual tracks without a hassle either on an SD card or via USB (as an audio interface).

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

All these things sound like NodeJS packages and I guess there is a direct correlation between the name and how obscure/expensive the module is

Yeah, many of the manufacturers are really into obfuscating what their modules actually do. A lot of them follow some weird naming system. Noise Engineering uses latin, Endorphin.es aerospace terminology and Mutable Instruments has 2-3 syllable nouns in plural. I guess this is slightly better than the synth tradition of just having a few letters followed by some numbers but sometimes when the whimsy extends to product descriptions or manuals (I’m looking at you, Mannequins/Whimsical Raps!) it gets annoying.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody do a lot of recording straight to media (as opposed to having a computer/audio interface in the mix)? I have a small synth setup at work and want to be able to record extended fart sessions, but don't really want to get a PC in the mix, and I'm looking for as few bits and bobs as possible. Is a small mixer that'll record straight to USB the best option or is there something else out there I'm overlooking (besides, like, a Tascam 4-track...)

Since my previous mixer just gave up, I’ve been eyeing the Tascam Model 12 they announced NAMM a few days ago. It’s got integrated SD recording although it’s not really minimalistic. Another approach altogether would be to get a small portable mixer that has 2 sets of outputs and just plug the others into a zoom recorder or similar. A bit more fiddly since you’ll have to check for volume levels etc separately but that might suit your needs better.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Excuse the double post, but I'm looking for some advice. I'm working on a theater project where the director wants basically constant underscoring for the show, and really wants something drone-y, dark and sinister in the vein of Lustmord or Atrium Carceri, but with a distinctly synthy flavor. For theater stuff I normally just source stock music or the like, but this sounds like it's at least somewhat in the wheelhouse of what I can do. I've never really done long ambient drone type stuff, though, so anybody have any advice or pointers on how to tackle that style, beyond long reverb times and delay feedback loop type stuff?

I just got a NDLR, which I feel will be useful in this endeavor, and I think the Peak will be a good centerpiece for a lot of the timbres and textures he's looking for, plus I have tons of weird loving sound effects to mangle (might be a good kick in the butt to learn my Digitakt a little better), but I'm not sure how to approach writing multiple 20-minute pieces of evil ambient music.

For Legend of Grimrock’s dark ambient background tracks I mostly used layers of granular synthesis. Find or record samples that have a lot of harmonic content without being too clean. A short recording where I tap a metallic cooking bowl which sounds a bit like a badly made pan drum was my favorite but I also used a lot of squeaky rusty doors and other metallic squeals, singing and whispers and so on. I usually pitched the grains way down and found a nice spot in the sample where I can scrub the playhead with a slow lfo for movement. Having some variety per-note in scrub speed and playback position helps give it some additional movement when layering chords. And then of course reverb on top. I did this with Ableton’s Granulator but Morphagene or similar should work too.

https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/sets/legend-of-grimrock-2-ambient-music

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I really need to start using my Morphagene again. Haven’t touched it in a while. I want to play around with using a mic for sampling my voice or random acoustic things instead of just using recordings. The only mic I have at hand is a zoom h1 and I hope it works well enough plugged directly into the module.. Only one way to find out I guess!

Here’s a (morphageneless) patch from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/antti_tiihonen/status/1223906805228507136

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I made a modular patch that sounds like 2020 to me.

Generative melodies from Manis Iteritas, Antumbra Knit (tiny Plaits) and ALM MCO and some beats from prok drums. Running stuff through Mimeophon feels like cheating. Everything sounds so juicy. Tangy short comb-like repeats or long washy warm blankets of delayed boops all sound great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKSGi4tG6I

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

spider wisdom posted:

the studio i work(ed) at sorta leaned on cv (sadly or thankfully, not control voltage) as well as a handful of in-the-red months to lay me, their only begotten remote working son, off last week. so in addition to the standard worldwide crisis junk, i have job searching in a nigh-impossible climate to deal with as well.

appropriately, i am turning to the synth corner to sink some sorrows! was super pleased to dial in some decent kinda Hyper Light Drifter sounds with a Deepmind 12 and MS-20 combo, and now i have a little more time to unlock the POWER of MATHS (and actually figure out the Disting). my search for a Valhalla/Z-DSP replacement continues (the Z-VERB might be rad but not a replacement), and i pine for a Mordax Data for eye candy/waveform education. Pod Mod kinda sold me on the Bad Comrade v3, too.

what would YOU add/replace to this lil setup if you wanted ambient drone noise moods? (my modulargrid direct jpgs have never updated for some reason). here's what i've sorta had sights on for near future updates.

also! if anyone is looking for a Microbrute creator’s edition and/or Z-DSP and/or Montreal Count to Five and wants to reduce my anxiety a little this month, i am selling those things on reverb. pm me and let’s make a deal!

I wouldn’t waste real estate on a system of that size to Data. I’d get a cheap ebay/aliexpress digital oscilloscope instead. It’s much more fiddly to use and there’s usually only a single channel but it costs you only a few bucks.

The 2hp arp seems odd too since you have o_c. Have you tried the hemisphere firmware? There’s the carpeggio app which should roughly cover what Arp does I think... Which reminds me, hemisphere has an oscilloscope app too!

Another filter maybe? I love the Three Sisters and it’s perfect for drones since you can very easily create a very full mix of different sound sources with it if you plug something in each input. Qpas seems really neat too if you want to play around with stereo stuff.

For ambient stuff I’d definitely look into Mimeophon or Morphagene or something else that combines delay with reverb and has possibilities for looping and other time travel tricks. I suppose uBurst can do this somewhat but I personally have found Clouds a little lacking or fiddly to patch when I want to create a huge blanket of sounds from simple input audio.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I decided to try using Make Noise Mimeophon for mangling some beats. Reeeal happy that I gave it a shot. It's probably my favorite patch this far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAiSH4UjnS4

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks! :tipshat:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well that was fun.
Nice Model 12. I was looking at one to replace my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, but also to use as a standalone mixer/recorder and occasionally with Ableton as a controller.

I’ve had the Model 12 only for a couple of days now and it seems very nice! I haven’t even plugged it in to the computer yet but I do intend to. One routing option that I would’ve liked to see in the mixer (although I don’t know if this violates some principal law of mixers) is that I could route the master into the sub mix so I could use the sub mix outputs & volume slider for my monitors. Now I need to probably get a passive xlr volume attenuator or something so I don’t have to use master volume slider for getting a comfortable listening level.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm confused, is the sub not just a mirrored main output? so you can't have like... a booth and master out? What does the "Main" button do on the sub out?

The sub can almost, but not quite, mirror the master. The master eq section and bluetooth audio cannot be routed to sub. The ”main” button routes the sub’s output into the main mix, instead of running parallel to main, and the mixer doesn’t have an option where sub is post-main. That way I could hear the master eq or if the mix is too hot on master which is important when streaming on PC, recording to SD or if I record direct to my camera from the headphone outputs.

I don’t know that much about mixers in general (this is my second one and I don’t have any actual sound engineering expertise) but to me the implementation of sub mix feels a little limited here. It’s most likely though that I just want to use it for something that it’s not designed for. :v: All I really want here is a separate volume control for monitor outputs, like my previous mixer had, so I’ll have to get a separate piece of gear for the volume attenuation. It’s not that expensive but still a slight annoyance.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I want to record/stream at ”full” volume but monitor at a different, usually lower, volume.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

You mean the master volume knob affects your internal recording level ?

Edit, there’s a post rec button on the master fader, that should allow you to record internally and only affect the output volume

OHHH nice. How come I’ve been so blind. :eng99: Thanks! I feel stupid but that’s a good kind of stupid since it prevented me from buying something I don’t really need heh

edit: okay that will make the SD recording bypass the master EQ too. Not 100% what I was looking for but ehhh maybe I’ll just deal with it

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 31, 2020

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Yeah that’s what I do most of the time. For live performance sort of stuff the master EQ can be a helpful tool and a nice shortcut for quickly sculpting the overall sound but I can live without it.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the best advice.

Also, what are you recording to? If it's your computer then can you just use audio out over USB and use the master outs for monitoring? Honest question. I don't know if it can do audio out or audio in over USB and the specs aren't clear on that.

Yeah, audio over USB should work alright since the mixer is also an audio interface. That should be good for streaming and if I want to record to a project in a DAW directly. Haven’t gotten around to plugging it in to my computer yet though. Another case is recording jams and random bleeps directly to SD on the mixer (with individual channels + master) and the post rec toggle should solve my monitoring volume issues there well enough. So I think I should have all my bases covered now, I’ll just have to verify in practice. I also use the headphone out if I want to record a jam directly to a camera’s mic in, like with the one I posted previously, but there’s no issue there since that output has a separate volume pot.

Thanks for the discussion, it has been helpful. I guess I’ve been a bit stuck in some old habits that weren’t directly transferrable to this particular mixer’s feature set.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Can you guess who's the dude on the video doing some absolutely banging dark techno on eurorack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_uBLfysz0

It's the composer of Frozen's soundtrack

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

I'm looking for a beginner friendly synth with built in speakers so I can practice around the house, can anyone recommend some?

edit: if I were to get one without speakers built in, what kind of speakers would I need to get?

I'm not totally sure but to me it sounds a little bit like that you could be looking for a keyboard, or maybe even a digital piano, rather than a synthesizer. If you're interested in having a bunch of fun preset sounds that you play with piano-like keys then that's probably the case. Synths are more centered around designing the sounds itself and they often don't even have keyboards at all. Built-in speakers are a rarity but keyboards and digital pianos almost always have them.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

I have a keyboard and the preset sounds are all really cheesy and bad aha

Ah poo poo. Never mind then. In that case I'll second the recommendation for Volcas. They are a nice way to get your feet wet. You could also check out if your keyboard happens to have a midi output. In that case your options are a bit wider since you could play desktop synths and synth modules with your old keyboard. Volcas have a midi input as well so you wouldn't have to fiddle with the touch strip that much.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Yesterday our improv band played at A.MAZE Berlin festival’s live stream. For this session we had two eurorack modulars, a drum machine (mostly as a metronome and master clock), KORG iM1 on iPad and drums, guitar, bass and miscellaneous other noises. It was the first gig for the band and we had loads of fun! It’s not perfect but pretty happy with how it turned out since it was pretty much all made up on the spot.

https://youtu.be/EdsN9zIVySA?t=625m
(The time should skip to 10h25min)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Decided to try once again to do a more mobile eurorack rig (previous tries have been suitcase sized so too big for just taking along on a whim) so I got myself an Intellijel Palette case and 0-CTRL for sequencing. I don't know why I haven't used the model input of Knits (Plaits) that much before but it seems to pair especially well with 0-CTRL where you can easily define an instrument per step and then modulate everything with everything. :shroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBb-YDuSTlc

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Concatenation posted:

I think if the video lists the gear used in the title, and it’s not explicitly a gear demo or tutorial, then it’s probably going to be bad

I’ve done that to trick people to search and click on my videos. It works in that regard but your statement still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
TBH I think it’s a bit weird to scrutinize it very closely what random people do with their synths. Or I don’t think folks who play the guitar for fun get quite the same level of judgement. Is the difference that guitarists’ hobby is marginally cheaper so the expectations are different? It’s fun to make sounds of varying quality with synths and I don’t want to ruin it by getting too serious about it.