Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rock2much posted:

That would be amazing. I use the Plex on my Roku all the time.

RARFlix on Roku (a modified Plex install) has the ability to continuously play random episodes from a specific series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Plex is on sale on amazon appstore for $1 today. You probably have a couple hundred amazon coins, so go get free plex today.

Just a heads up that this app is slightly out of date so it does not yet have the Chromecast support.

EDIT: I also just got a $1 app credit for buying this so it was free for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought 3 Rokus last month too :/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Short Plex on Amazon Fire TV video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZNsACFJuU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Im reading some of the plex transcoding FAQ, and they give a very general, reccomended benchmark for a server doing transcoding. I see that my core2Duo setup is 7(!) years old at this point, and benchmarks at 800-1200 on a scale where 2000 is where i should be.

I'm considering an i7 for the extra cores, and threaded processes but will I see a bigger difference over i5 ? I will stream single transcoding 80% of the time, but i can see 3-4 streams at a time a small percentage of the time. Also this is my main server, so some other processes will be running.

I'm looking for real world benchamarks as I cant get a reliable handle on what plex is actually chugging on. But the difference in processor cost is like $60-$80

I was streaming single streams fine on my Celeron G3220 and moved up to the cheapest i3 4130 only because I wanted to do multiple streams. I think the i7 is totally overpowered for what you want and a high end i3 or low-mid i5 should handle multistreams fine

I've found the Plex forums to be a pretty decent source to get an idea of what is needed. Haswell is very good for 1080p streaming at low wattage now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 8, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you rip the DVDs into a format that Roku can natively play then Plex will DirectPlay it from your laptop with no issues.

http://roku.yt1300.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

me your dad posted:

Cool, thanks for that. My laptop hard drive is fairly meager so I could use a 500gb USB drive I keep downstairs. I don't keep the drive hooked up to the laptop all the time though. Would there be any problems in Plex detecting it if I only hooked it up when needed?

It should work, yes. Plex builds a database of all your movies and tv shows in whatever folders you tell it they're in. It stores the database on the local machine so it should have pointers to where they are on your external hdd. If you unplug the drive it will still load up the library fine but will throw an error when you try to play. Plugging the drive in (as long as it retains the same drive letter) will have a correct path to the file again and play.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

Roku tells me that my plex trial has ended and I can't play stuff any more. :gonk: I wasn't aware that I was on trial.

You can either sign up for a plex pass monthly/yearly/lifetime sub, pay the one-time $5 fee, or download the alternate plex player RARFlix which works just as well and has new features that eventually get rolled into the regular plex app anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

I deleted and reinstalled the app and it works now. What was the cutoff for when they started charging? I've been using this for ~1.5 years.

It switched over Jan 1st of this year but if you had it installed beforehand you should be grandfathered in. Seems like it was just a hiccup.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thumbnails are indexed on the local server.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Apparently if you're using the Plex app on your Samsung tv you'll be interrupted, while your video is playing, every 8 to 30 minutes with a Pepsi commerical! Samsung really is trying to push the limits between this and the "always listening" accusations.

Yup, started happening yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/2va6k9/plex_stops_half_way_through_and_plays_a_pepsi_ad/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

I just didn't understand what made the Fire TV so much more expensive than the stick is all.

The stick has a slower CPU, half the ram and no wired connection. Interface navigation is noticeably slower with the stick.

http://www.geek.com/android/amazon-fire-tv-vs-amazon-fire-stick-whats-the-difference-1607870/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone having issues with the new plex on Roku? If I try to play a file it gets artifacts and corrupting and usually quits in a minute or two. Restarting the video makes it behaves, but for now I have to play every video twice. Rarflix works fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My next question was if the app had any bug reporting but I'll be sure to let them know.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Am I just blind but does the new Plex app on the Roku not have a search function? Seems like a pretty big omission.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex forums were hacked, attacker asking for bitcoins or else he will release the db.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/3bstq2/plex_forums_hacked/

Shouldn't mean much to anyone unless you did something dumb like use the same username/pass elsewhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The big bummer about the Plex app update on Roku is that I don't think it carried over any remote stream quality settings. I set up a Roku to specifically play nice with my shared library and my crappy upload stream and sent it off 500 miles elsewhere and since the app update "everything we watch is choppy"

Incoming phone support :negative:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roku has had universal search for years and it's never worked with Plex either.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex confirmed they'll be on new aTV at launch.

https://twitter.com/plexapp/status/656960207994556416

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I actually ripped all my DVDs into my Plex library. V:shobon:V

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the disk space and can do the initial download which takes 5 minutes. /s

As to "why avoid it" - PLEX is super useful for loads of things, but if you're dedicating your own gaming PC to serving other people :filez: I'd have to wonder why, and why loads of simpler solutions aren't being used instead. In particular, a local install onto mom'n'pops desktop and a way of dropping them files / giving them magnet links and a client to download public domain media that will directplay at 1080 is nearly always going to be better than feeding them a 720 transcode.

Not so much here, but look at r/plex or their forums sometime, and you'll find people dedicating all manner of resources to serving content to other people, and it's 10:1 them wanting to be ~~the guy~~ vs it being in any way the best option for the people to get content.
Most eventually stop when they realise being free tech support and/or dealing with people sharing the password around is more trouble than it's worth.

lol you're saying that plex is too complicated but instead recommend loving bittorent of all things.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

- Install plex on their PC and TV / iPads

- Have it look at eg c:\movies and c:\tv
- set those as BTsync directories
- stick poo poo in your own folders to sync across
- it appears for your family on their devices as per any other solution
- if you have other family elsewhere you can repeat the above and 3-4 way syncs only get faster
- none of it needs any maintenance

- share my library

:confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newegg has the HP Proliant ML10 Server on sale for $189 if anyone is looking for a cheap, low power Plex Server

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-001A-000R5

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wasn't it deemed legally that it's kosher to have a backup of your own DVDs after years of the studios moaning?

Backing up your own media has always been legal.

Breaking encryption to do so is not.

So you can back your DVDs but not if you have to break encryption.

A consumer would never get in trouble though, they use the laws to wield against people making the software instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone using Ombi? It seems pretty awesome but I can't seem to find a way to edit the newsletter contents.

I used it for a few days but then I updated it and it broke everything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lol people in that Reddit thread threatening to cancel their Plex pass because the fan art size changed. Some people man

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can choose whatever library you want. If you want it to be part of your other shows, that is the default behavior.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like LiveTV is only on the Android and iOS apps right now, not working on web or AppleTV/Roku.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/well-do-it-live/

List of supported tuners:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 1, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HD Homerun Connect on sale for $80 at Overstock today
https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CONNECT/14542799/product.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cornjob posted:

Shouldve been more specific. Its a dell inspiron laptop. I assume that means a PCIe card is not an option?

Re appletv: what about when the file has dts audio? Wont that require transcoding? Many of my movies have dts

You could always shuck the drives and go for something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111491

That would mean putting out some cash though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex Live TV is finally out for AppleTV and Android mobile devices. Roku and FireTV still in the works.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/control-time-space-sort/

I tried this out on AppleTV and ra pretty slow compared to Channels, but stream quality was great. No DVR on AppleTV for some reason though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Did the LiveTV update drop for FireTV? I just got an update and wasn't sure if it was it or not. I don't have Plex pass so cannot try.
Nope, just AppleTV and AndroidTV devices (not FireTV).

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115007689648-Watching-Live-TV

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's still perfectly legal to rip your own discs so even if they did have specific movie information, there's nothing to say HOW you acquired that media so there's no legal liability for the user.

Media companies already include pirate sites in certain "popularity" metrics, this isn't anything new.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

It seems like it would be highly unlikely for a home user to get a file that is, say, an MD5 hash match with a popular shared file, just by ripping their own media.

Atomizer posted:

It's the "breaking encryption" part that's been "illegal".

These have nothing to do with Plex privacy policy though

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh thank god for live tv on web now. I wanted to watch some tv at work last week and had to resort to streaming it on my cell phone and then plugging the phone into my MacBook via USB and opening up QuickTime screen recorder to view it on the bigger screen. Not an ideal situation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Godinster posted:

Unless you really love Apple there's virtually no reason to get an apple TV over a similarly priced Shield or cheaper Roku. I don't know how any actual human likes using that God awful remote control on ATV.

The Channels app on ATV is the best OTA app on any set top box right now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Does anyone generate video preview thumbnails? The live skimming feature on the AppleTV is neat and helpful, but I've never enabled it because it seems like that would take a long time to render and eat up a crap ton of space.

I do and it does. My thumbnail cache is currently at 86gb.

The transcoding part ain't so bad it's only for a few minutes after the file is added. I'm not worried about space except I have it all on my primary SSD for speed so I gotta make sure it doesn't fill up. It's worth it for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Dang. How big is your library?

Large and dumb

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm having an issue with Plex on AppleTV. If i'm watching a TV show, the 30-60 seconds drops out. It will start buffering around the 90 seconds left mark for a second which will increase exponentially until about 30-60 seconds left and then the file will just stop. The file plays fine on my Roku boxes, and I can finish the episode by using VLC on my phone and airplay.

Anyone else see this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

emoji posted:

Why is Plex AIDS now?

:bravo: