Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/05/us/politics/george-bush-portrait-exhibition-opens-in-dallas.html

quote:

Tony Blair stares ahead, sober and resolute. Hamid Karzai, in traditional green cap and cape, glances off to the side, almost as if checking over his shoulder for the Taliban — or perhaps for the United States. The Dalai Lama looks serene, Stephen Harper jovial, Jiang Zemin grim.

I dunno if I'd describe Stephen Harper's smirk as anything but smug and poo poo-eating, but hey at least Dubya managed to capture that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's telling that the California Politics thread died due to never-ending food derails.

It didn't die, it just got deported to Tourism and Travel.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Countdown until Paul Ryan calls for privatizing all federal lands...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Obama really embodies that whole "campaign from the left, govern from the right" thing, doesn't he.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember during freshman year at uni, the Young Americans for Liberty chapter was trying to get people to register Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the primary, saying that could throw the primary to him for the R:evil:OLUTION.

Not only are they malicious, they're outright delusional too.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

1stGear posted:

Its amazing how the first page is all "Yeah, finally someone putting it to those drat Jews! What a shame he got caught!" Then once they realize it was one of their's they start hemming and hawing and gosh what could have driven him to this this is totally out of character for him

I'm amazed you made it that far, I felt sick to my stomach once I got to that one crazy guy's sig talking about how "the Jews are a great danger and it's amazing how the internet covers their tracks :tinfoil:"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh, neat.

CBO has revised it's estimates, saying the PPACA will cost less and insure more than they had predicted. Congratulations on the CBO now being re-labelled as a biased tool of the administration who's work should be questioned always, unless they say things that are bad for the President.

Wait for the media to just not report this at all...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Republicans arguing that states have the right to secede. :irony:

In one of the supposed birthplaces of the party, no less!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

You think this is a joke but it is what will happen.
A whole generation will be characterized by their AIM screennames, forum posts, and fan-fictions.

Again, literally the Onion in real life?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Which of them was the one who was giving Obama the evil eye in the second debate? Was that Josh?

I think Tagg :lol: was the one who said he wanted to punch Obama after the second debate.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Maybe it's just me but I e-filed my taxes. Is Mitt Romney so out of touch with America he doesn't even know he can do that? Or is he so out of touch he doesn't know how? That's what this picture said to me honestly.

The Romneys coming off as out of touch when they're trying to do the whole "We're just like you, Real America!" is kind of to be expected, isn't it?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'd have loved to go to Cal instead just to take a class taught by Reich.

Here's his blog, for reference, and here's him smacking down Sippy Cupp.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Bill Kristol is claiming in his newsletter that "a friend in the know" told him Clinton's running mate will be David Petraeus.

The fact that Bill Kristol had a job or is anything other than a ranting street corner demagogue is proof that this isn't a meritocracy

You gotta love it when people collecting wingnut welfare talk about how America's a meritocracy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS upheld the MI anti affirmative action law. Bonus action is Roberts blasting Sotomayer's views of race, saying she "does more harm than good"

Gosh, I wonder why the Hispanic woman from a poor neighborhood has a different perspective on race than the rich white guy?

Wait, what? Did he literally say "racism only exists because you butthurt minorities keep talkinga bout it!"?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Radish posted:

I found an article about his recent speech on the Daily Mail's site and the comments were mostly criticizing him for being a racist and similar opinions, then I started seeing some stuff like this:

"You guys don't understand what's he's saying: that black people are inferior geez how could you be so wrong??" I'm pretty sure Fox News knows their audience well enough that they don't want to even try and moderate stuff like that.

Jesus Christ, how exactly does one respond to the "it's not racist to say black people are moochers and blame everyone and everything but themselves for their woes, because it's true :smuggo:" canard?

This is even more ridiculous than when my idiot sheltered "friend" from Dartmouth tried to justify his "black people need to change their CULTURE" with anecdotal tweets from Nicki Minaj about "white-shaming" in predominantly black schools.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I thought he said macawca or something, not friend of the family. I know, they're both racist terms, but that doesn't mean people treat them like they are. That is too say, people were all like "he didn't know it was racist" and got away with it, but nobody will believe you if you say that about friend of the family.

Didn't he try to justify that by saying "My mum from South Africa said it was a term for Indians!" or something like that?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

You know the worst/best thing? He's technically got a better opinion than most Republicans.

That's right. The blatantly racist rancher is objectively better on race than the majority of the Republican party.

EDIT: Oh my God, he's still talking!

Cliven Bundy: "RaHoWa is coming y'all!"

quote:

"Where is our colored brother? Where is our Mexican brother? Where is our Chinese -- where are they?" Bundy said. "They're just as much American as we are, and they're not with us. If they're not with us, they're going to be against us."

Yes, Bundy, I and a bunch of people like me are totally going to go to your ranch and party and smoke weed and getting rip roaring drunk.

quote:

Bundy noted that he "hardly ever" saw a black person until he was a teenager, and was surrounded by only white people during the press conference he was holding, according to the Post.

Gee, whodathunk?

edit: Goddamn, his whole "Where are our brothers in the fight against the gubmint" really drives home the whole "Why can't minorities see that conservatism and the GOP are good for them" schtick.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mornacale posted:

Yeah. There are a ton of white people who have simply never been called out on their racism, and thus don't even realize it when they're saying something unacceptable. On a recent visit home, my step-father was explaining how he's not going to let political correctness keep him from poking fun at people, like for instance having a laugh with "orientals" about their slanted eyes. I can only imagine Asian dudes laughing uncomfortably because it wouldn't go well for them to punch his lights out. I've also sat in the living room of a family friend while she explained that she wasn't racist, she just couldn't respect Those People who burned down Their neighborhoods in race riots in Pittsburgh.

From last page, but I'd wager "having never been called out on their racism" also something that just generally occurs with a lot of rich, privileged people as well. It wasn't very long ago that I was arguing with a rich Asian guy at Dartmouth (who managed to do two study abroads, mind you) who was like "How is that racist" when I said "you know, your comments that black people need to 'change their culture' are pretty racist" and tried justifying it with anecdotes from Nicki Minaj on twitter talking about "white-shaming of high-achieving black pupils by their peers in predominantly black schools" and saying "NO MORE WHITE-SHAMING".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Obama 2012 posted:

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That. That is how it is racist. I feel like it might be worth my time to memorize this definition for whenever this debate inevitably pops up.

"B-but Nicki Minaj said it's true! WHITE-SHAMING" :qq:

And on another note, I still remember how a Rand Paul supporter from some lily-white part of Pittsburgh kept pestering me with the "NO WHERE ARE YOU REALLY FROM" canard. Gee, whodathunk!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Well, at least she loves America! :downs:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Telesphorus posted:

Interesting to see liberal states like California with such big cuts also. Is this because of an unstoppable changing tide of colleges being run more as businesses, or are there other factors?

We have quite an issue with our state prison system.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Think John Roberts will ever get a clue?

"Being called a 'wetback' or 'chink' or 'friend of the family' is only a problem if you make it a problem :jerkbag:"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if you are ethically OK with the death penalty in theory, I don't see how you can sign off on it in practice given how messed up our justice system is.

Isn't there some sort of correlation between being white and wealthy and thinking that the justice system is fair?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Conservative writers say that Palin has finally gone too far with her waterboarding = baptism line, but is there a chance that her usual supporters will also be offended enough to desert her?

quote:

"If I thought that kind of hateful declaration and abuse of the Christian religion was what conservatism stood for, I wouldn't be able to call myself a conservative," he writes.

Hate to break it to you, buddy...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe this is old news, but looks like the Cliven Bundy situation is breaking down:

http://gawker.com/nevada-ranch-militias-turn-against-each-other-over-dron-1570140614

So after they didn't get the fight with the evil feds they were looking for, they're instead fighting each other now?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Wow, this article on how white privilege is Totally Not A Thing because a Princeton student and descendant of a holocaust survivor said so. :shepicide:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

What a pretentious wank. "I'm going write a bunch of words to show that I willfully ignore what 'privilege' actually means."

I mean Jesus tapdancing Christ, it'd be nice if this brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion freshman at Princeton had thought about how it sounds to everyone else when he talks about what his grandparents experienced as if it were a sign of the strength of his own character or a testament to the fact that he knows what it's like to have lived a difficult life.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 2, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

St. Pierre and Miquelon send delegates to France's National Assembly and are patrolled by units of the French national police. Its citizens have French suffrage and citizenship. I want to visit sometime because it just sounds too weird.

Wonder what the situation is with our part of the Virgin Islands?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Has this New York Magazine article been posted here yet, about Lara Logan's incredible gently caress-up?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

How can people see this and not feel totally pandered to? It's so transparently stupid. :psyduck:

Aren't these the same people who gush about how Reagan "made them feel good to be American again :911:"?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was a great article, thanks for sharing.

The last paragraph:

The name sounded familiar, so I googled Clarissa Ward, and I recognized the picture from a retweet from Brown Moses that I read Saturday. About her and her news crew being detained in Ukraine by armed gunmen. Chilling.

I probably should have mentioned this in the post, but as it turns out, Logan was working with Lindsey Graham in the buildup the report. It probably isn't surprising in hindsight, but I dunno if I'd ever seen this reveal before.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Amergin posted:

You're right, I'll vote for the liberal party who doesn't want to cut anything ever because lord help me for wanting a smaller, more efficient government.

The "liberal" party agreed to cut food stamps to try and flex their bipartisan credentials.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Amergin posted:

Because of the two parties, one has a libertarian sub-group while the other has... the greens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I will 100% vote Republican. I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 because of the two candidates, I preferred him.

HOWEVER, if it had been between, say, Jon Huntsman and Obama in 2012, I would have voted Huntsman. I don't want Bush, I want Huntsman, Rand Paul or some rare moderate realpolitik mix. And even then, I'd hold my nose while voting for Paul.

But don't worry, I'll let you keep making the immediate assumption of "He'll consider voting GOP, therefore he'd vote for Bush." It's a great stereotype.

You'd vote for Rand Paul, a "moderate" who came out against the Civil Right Act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Also, isn't it the case that the rich are more likely to donate to stuff like operas, which they predominantly use, while the poor give a higher proportion of their income to charity for the poor than do the rich?

• Locked thread