Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I meant more about the Int range about which each catalyst was best in, but I guess you're right in that it's not that hard to figure out. Staves instead of wands is rad though.

I didn't mess much with sorceries, but I'm pretty sure there are no strange weighted scaling factors like last time. Instead, you just get a fair selection of strange catalysts that favor different elements and have different casting speeds. Simply the highest "MagAdjust" (the listed element type damage is the bonus spells of that element type will receive) catalyst isn't all you want to look for. As mentioned above, there are even a few multi-purpose items in there as well.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh yes I'm going to have a fun time with this one. Are there multiple "endings" like in DS1 to go for in new game plus?

Nope. Just one, and it sucks. If I were you, I would go into Dark Souls 2 expecting little to nothing from the script/lore. That said, there are other changes (including minor lore snips) that make NG+ something other than 'more of the same with harder hitting HP bricks'.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemonpieman posted:

A good point, but hell, it's more annoying to me to just divide people talking about the game between two threads.

Wouldn't it be a better solution if you made this the Dark Souls 2 PC tech support thread, and leaving actual gameplay stuff to the gameplay thread?

If the game had a simultaneous launch, yes, that might make sense, but given a sort of not quite long but not quite short delay it spares the PC audience from wading through spoilers while trying to get info. Additionally, is spares the console audience from having a retread of the same poo poo, different launch.

Blame Namco for dividing the community.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

El Golden Goose posted:

Same thing happened to me. Wonder what the deal is?

Same thing happened on PS3 a couple of times. Just some oddity with the way it interprets the XML, or whatever scripting language they use for the status splash.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RushJet posted:

Any one else notice the lack of invasions happening? I have yet to be invaded once by another player. Are they just not as common in your first play through?

Yeah, it partly has to do with Soul Memory. Since a steady source of cracked red orbs doesn't quite come until you join the BoB you're going to accumulate enough souls to put you out of range of people starting up. The small bits of orbs you otherwise find don't account for very much.

There are also lot of other hoops potential invaders will probably want to jump through before invading to make use of the cracked orbs since getting more can be tedious. Naturally that will just bump SM even higher.

Invasions don't seem to kick in until NG+.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I played with a friend at his place yesterday, and figured I would be able to just ping-pong my save since I was playing on my Steam account over at his place, but using one of his machines.

It looks like the game is producing a new save hash however, and said hash is bound to the save itself, so I can't just copy the .sl2 data to the new hashed folder generated by DS2 on my home PC. How can I fix this so I can use the save on my home computer?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ethanol posted:

when you're duel wielding, and you press strong attack on the lefthand, it makes a little twirl.. is this just a flashy taunt or is there a riposte in this that I can't time right?

Its weapon specific. That is probably the curved sword parry.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

Burn a human effigy in a fire

Do not do this. This 'disconnects' you from online for about an hour, no invasions and no summoning. You want to burn an ACETIC to refresh despawned enemies. That said, it will respawn them with NG+ versions, so be deliberate and careful about using this option, as it will also 'upgrade' that zone around the bonfire to NG++, once you finally hit NG+. Each use of an acetic on a particular bonfire will further increase the difficulty, and before another acetic can be used on the same bonfire you must kill the boss associated with that fire (there may be some exceptions).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I managed to copy my save over from one machine to another just fine, just kept the same folder names and hash names. Sucks they didn't auto copy saves though.

Are you trying to copy between different accounts?

Nope, same account. Logged in at his place with the same account I use here at home.

If you aren't having any trouble he may have made a mistake and sent me the save data from the wrong machine. I'll double check there and report back whether we're idiots or not. Thanks for the heads up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Am I right in thinking that there aren't many benefits to dual wielding in the early game? I don't have the stats to do the power stance and I just realized that I attack every bit as quickly with one weapon as I do two.
Powerstancing is not some sort of straight upgrade, it just unlocks some more utility, as its benefits are fairly slight. Likewise, the benefits of just having a weapon in your off-hand non-powerstance are similarly slight. Just compared to powerstance, you have the off-hand's full moveset. Powerstancing replaces the Left shoulder buttons with attacks that use both weapons simultaneously. This may or may not be ideal, so even once you can powerstance you may want to temporarily go back to vanilla dual-wield, or even 2hand your main weapon.

So a few points, weapon durability is a big thing now, so being able to attack from your left side can be helpful to avoid unnecessary durability damage from clipping walls. Same for outright bouncing your weapon. It is slight, but it isn't like powerstancing is all that great. In my experience, 2handing your main weapon would yield better damage and poise stagger than powerstancing (mace powerstance moveset withstanding). Finally, alternating left-right attacks can sometimes be a bit faster than the combo moveset on a given weapon. Experiment. Any benefit may be slight, but its all situational. I would frequently just vanilla dual wield, even after 40/40 str/dex and could powerstance a whole bunch of different weapons.

That said, dual-wielding is MUCH better than in Dark or Demon's Souls, if only because shields just aren't all that great anymore. It takes a moment to get your shield up now, so you have to turtle just a bit more than before. At the same time being careless, or being overwhelmed will heavily punish you for using a shield. I basically cooped through the game on PS3 with a friend, and he would consistently be smashed repeatedly while he was using a shield, where I was having fewer problems just dual-wielding. Generally, he too would have fewer problems the moment he ditched the shield. As a result, I only ended up using a shield for about two hours on the first character out of three, and over 100 hours on PS3 alone. They're not poo poo, they're just not nearly as important, even if you have low ADP/AGI.

So, no, even disregarding the shield, there are benefits for vanilla dual-wield; you have more options available to you (less important in PvE, but nice). Considering the shield... they're just not all that good anymore (still great, but you can safely ignore shields).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 26, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

90s Shoes posted:

Also, there's no main menu music {this was a problem with Dark Souls 1's OST too, granted), and almost every song that isn't listed above is missing a good 30 seconds or more as far as I can tell. It's sort of nuts.

Probably just nickle and diming. Namco didn't want to pay for a second CD to accommodate the soundtrack.... so they paid someone to edit the music to fit in under 1 gigabyte. Pretty crummy.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

warburg posted:

When is the earliest I can get a staff? I'd really like to make a battlemage but all I've gotten so far is the crappy DLC one.

In Forest of Forgotten Giants, off the path Pate tells you to explore is a secret passage at the bottom of the large stair case. Go check that. (Press the interact button on the walls rather than attacking).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

This is hilarious.

I'm getting a new laptop in a few days, just waiting for it to be shipped, but it only has the an onboard graphics card, HD4400. Will I be able to run this game on it?

I wouldn't have very high expectations, but it might at low resolution with most/all of the effects disabled.

the HD4xxx series is pretty old now, and a 4400 is simply low-end; basically there to draw the Windows 7 aero desktop. Still, it is a DX9 GPU, and technically supports whatever this game will throw at it. Just comes down to a matter of speed. Unfortunately, it may not be able to handle the geometry, and there are some effects you can not disable, so where it may run, it might never be playable.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Is there any point in using the Cloranthy Ring? +3.5% stamina recovery speed seems almost completely worthless?

Considering stamina is the mechanism that meters all offense and defense, every bit can count for a lot, particular regeneration.

Additionally, all else being the same, the Royal Soldier's Ring, which increases equip load, generally provides a MUCH smaller effective stamina regen bonus (lower equip load % means lower stamina regen penalty), although this can be thrown off with a lot of VIT.

It is a good ring, the +1 and +2 are definitely up there with "the best" rings at their given ranks. I love it, even the vanilla version. If you don't feel it provides much benefit, don't hesitate to swap with something else. Where "the best" in this game may be a thing, most things seem pretty well balanced enough that they do not so grossly overshadow everything else that it doesn't ultimately come down to a matter of taste. Use what you feel helps the most.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

Would I be making a huge mistake if I did co-op in the forest to boost my level a little? I'm doing it now to try and see the whole place before I go solo but wouldn't mind levelling a bit since I'm only 15 at the minute, starting as sorcerer

Don't sweat it. There will be people of a huge variety of SM right now. You would have to go way way way out of your way to push yourself out of summing brackets for any given area with the populations being so saturated.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone know if it's more intensive system wise? My machine is already long in the tooth and maxed out DSII is stuttery :(

If you're already having trouble, don't bother. It will impose a performance hit short of disabling all of the stuff it adds, in which case you're just as well running the game vanilla.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So, Flawless Widescreen updates and says Ds2 has been updated to use VAC and one of the fixes it uses was unsafe. Seeing no new updates I can only assume it was enabled from the getgo, or silently added on the patch Monday morning. Meanwhile I was using the thing all day yesterday.

I'm as good as banned, aren't I? :negative:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

immortal flow posted:

Does anyone else get this irritating control issue, where if you're using a large weapon (great club in my case) and you're locked on to an enemy, if you move the left stick too soon before swinging you'll ignore the lock and flail away in the direction you were pointing? It doesn't seem to apply with smaller weapons, and I have no idea why this issue might even exist.

Working as intended.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

FrancoFish posted:

Old Knight Shield, 100% Phys Reduction. For some reason, they just cut right through my shield. I can't even get past the first pair with 50% of my HP left.

Maybe bleed. All of the enemy katanas deal bleed damage. I THINK the old knight shield has low status "high" element resists, since the greatshield is the reverse. Try a different shield, and watch that status build-up meter.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cat doter posted:

Can someone that knows how to beat this loving ancient dragon help me out? I can't seem to get him to repeat his pattern so I'll get in a bad spot and he'll one shot me. Dude's a oval office.

Don't lock on.
Keep the camera pointing toward his head.
Get between his back legs.
Double tap one of his feet.
Wait for him to do something.

If it is a foot stop, just go to the other foot and double tap.
If he rears up on his back legs, run out from under him to his side; he will breath fire between his legs. Don't attack.
If he starts to take off you can get the camera looking around, you just want to get toward his tail and follow it as he spins around in the air.

That's about it. Just take it slow and steady. The real trick is just watching his head so you can get the tells, then getting the camera to look at his tail when he is about to take off so you can sprint along with it. It may take a couple shots to identify what is what, but those three attacks all have distinct tells, but you will only notice them while looking at his head.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Calidus posted:

I was unable to enter white mist when a the host used Ascetics to fight Smelter Demon a second time before I had beaten it the first. The other summon and myself were both disconnected, when the host entered the mist.

No, what happened is the boss was not there at all. If the area had been hit with an acetic you would be allowed in. Host was probably trying to get help for the OTHER boss that pops up in there.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Artificer posted:

For the other guy, I have already released him, but I have not yet talked to him in Shaded Woods. Can I talk to Pate in Earthen Peak first before talking to the guy in Shaded Woods or would that break the storyline quest?

Edit: As for the gated trap, I'm pretty sure I exhausted his dialogue in FoFG before I went into the trap, and then promptly died. When I went back I think he was gone. I'm still on the right track, right?

Doesn't matter. Just so long as you release guy number 2, and exhaust their dialogs at all points along the way. You don't even need to summon Pate for Last Giant. Just do Pate's little 'puzzle' at each point (exhausting dialog afterward). The other guy only has dialog.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks. Is it still the case that you can't put enchantements on infused weapons?
You can not use resins, but you CAN use element spells on infused weapons, and it is HIGHLY recommended that you do so. Where a resin/element buff otherwise only adds about 50 of the respective element damage, if the weapon already has lightning damage, for example, then Sunlight Blade will add 50 to that, then increase the lot of it by 1.3x. CMW and Flame Weapon are the same. Magic Weapon and Great Magic Weapon at 10 and 20% bonuses. Again, resins just will not work on anything but pure physical damage weapons (this also excludes weapons with bleed/poison, usually).

The result is the "best" way to get "the best damage" is only investing enough stats to equip the weapon you want, infusing it, and then using one of the spell weapon buffs accordingly. Flame weapon in particular, since it requires no stat investment, but you could just as soon spice down CWM or Sunlight Blade. It is stupid.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

What infusion is best for a Throne Watcher Greatsword, I heard there was some weirdness with using Faintstone on it?

Magic. There's just some strangeness where using Poison, Bleed, or Lightning make it appear to set the magic scaling to S, but the effective scaling is lower and naturally reduces the base magic damage as well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Guh, I don't get it. As soon as I get past 200k soul memory I just stop getting summoned. I'm at 280k souls and trying to sunbro at Chariot/Skeleton Lords, but I get summoned like once every 20 minutes. supposedly people get summoned fast throughout the entire game though so I have no idea why I always seem to be alone.

Doesn't seem like people are populating that zone. I think most of the population is at Bastille. Otherwise summoning does seem a bit slower. I couldn't find anyone to summon for Covetous, despite being the sunbro haven for a while.

May be that the PC audience is just leaning on solo experience. In part the audience likes to play that way, but a lot also may have come from playing on console, and are just bum rushing content without taking/dropping signs.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Domattee posted:

It should be one covenant with two different rings, the Crestfallen one acting like it does now, and the Targray having the same function but also allowing you to be summoned, with a one assist requirement.

Just make it one ring. Simply being in the covenant should summon a blue bro when you are invaded, provided there is a viable blue bro wearing the only ring the covenant offers. Want to be invaded without help? Join a different cov.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

When am I supposed to attack again after the guard break for the riposte? I can't work out what the timing is.

For guard breaks, just stop your combo. If you can move again, you're fine for the punish. For parries, excepting a couple of unique parry animations, you have to wait until they fall on their rear end.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The ring you get for joining the Way of the Blue isn't required to summon a Bluecop when invaded, it just boosts your HP a bit.
Wait... really? I keep hearing people insist you wear the drat ring if you want cops to come help.

I've only been invaded twice across maybe 200 hours on PS3/PC, so I don't really have any experience to go by.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

What's the earliest 100% phys block normal shield? I'm running a hex + mace build and don't really want to invest a ton of str to use that greatshield in the shop.

McDuff sells a 100% phys block shield that requires 12 str. You have to get him the Dull Ember, however.

Dangleic Shield requires 16 but can be picked up right after the second boss in Forest of Fallen Giants.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If the PvP rewards table over at wikidot is to be believed, I just took down a level 280 ratbro at level 65; 6/6 STR/DEX 5/5 INT/FTH. Daggers and poison are so good.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 5, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
They're probably equivalent to pounds. Most of the "real" weapons fit pretty well according to that model, being somewhere around 3-6 pounds. Even things like the largest Zweihanders weren't much more than about 10, nevermind 12 pounds. Something like 12 kilos would be insane, not that it is a realistic Zwei.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

How much of a difference does Vitality make?

I really wanna fashion souls it up, but with just a light helm on, i'm at 45%. I've been basically naked the whole game through.

I do use 3 weapons (Halberd, Uchi, Dragonrider bow) so that's where most of my weight comes from.

VIT is as good as you need it to be and depends entirely on how light you want to remain. I personally try to stay around 50%, but some characters I'll hang around 70%. The big deal, to me, is dodge distance. If I'm below about 20% the long rolls gently caress me up. Less of an issue, but a big one in PvP is stamina regen, and I don't feel like I can attack and defend hanging close to 70%.

If you're trying to equip a lot of weapons, get some VIT, if not a lot. You CAN simply go no armor, but bristling with big weapons. If you don't like that, then get the VIT. Equip load bonus effects will have a greater effect with more VIT, so you can hit a bit of a threshold where all of a sudden it seems like you can't even get over 70% equipload when wearing something like 3rd dragoncrest ring and soldier's ring+2.

tl:dr Get VIT retroactively. Find what you want to equip. Decide what equipload % you want to get at. Level VIT accordingly.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 5, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Question about mundane. Will it confer the scaling bonus to all elements on the weapon at the same rate? For example, Heide Knight Sword: will it receive the same bonus to physical and lightning?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

JAssassin posted:

Can someone post some :words: on how to do well in duels/PVP in general? I'm running a dual Katana build, which has worked well so far, but now that I'm getting into the higher soul memories, I'm hitting some walls that I can't seem to break. I'm not sure whether what they're using is too good, or what I'm doing isn't good enough.

Namely, hexers are the biggest thing that I can't seem to stop. I can roll through their spells fine, but I have no way to punish them once I get close because they'll immediately roll after each cast. I tried using a shortbow to attempt to poison one of them, but the poison never caught, and I couldn't really hang at a range. Obviously Greater Resonant Soul needs a nerf, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to punish these guys? I don't want to just throw my hands up and say "Well, that's hexes."
You know they are going to roll, so let them. Dodge toward them through their spell, hold the button, let them roll, and use your katana sprinting attack punish them on the next roll. If they roll twice, then next time, keep sprinting into them until they roll twice. Continue as many times as necessary until they run out of stamina. Fighting casters is a joke unless they have some sort of strategy for punishing people who roll into them through spells. Hexers in my experience do not have said strategies.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Renegret posted:

How does poison work in this game?

Specifically, once I poison someone and they begin taking damage, what happens when I hit them with more poison? Does it extend the length of the poison? More damage? Or nothing at all?

A poisoned ricard's rapier is hilarious in PvP. If you manage to hit them R2, they'll probably be poisoned and they always start running away, where you poke them more. I don't know if I should switch to a different weapon to do more damage, or keep poking them with more poison though.

Depends on your build. I run dual daggers, one poison infused, the other normal, so when I get poison I just let it tick, and keep myself at a safe, but 'engaged' distance. This forces them to either go offensive, in which case I just backstep a bit using my stamina for defense, letting the poison handle my offense. If they try to run, I should be close enough to let my normal dagger backstab damage nearly ohko most people from full health, the poison just helps give me the opportunity. Wins by poison:crits are probably 50:50, so neither is more or less effective than the other, but they definitely compliment eachother.

I just have to watch out for jesters/gowers. Haven't decided how I'll handle them, but I may resort to consumables. I'll have to look into it whenever anyone actually uses the drat things. So far haven't actually encountered ANY, which I've found peculiar, if however extremely fortunate.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

You can stack 'toxin' and poison too, they're apparently two different status effects for some loving reason
It is for that reason, especially PvE. Poison is pretty good alone in either, but stacked and the damage ticks really fast. You're pretty much looking at half of most bosses' health in about 1 minute, and in PvP, poison them, let them heal, and toxin them. Push to pressure with more poison build-up, if no poisoning them again. Once you get he effects stacked, they're basically hosed. Not a bad counter for gowers/jesters on a poison build. I'm just not sure how to help get toxin to "stick". Are there any other sources, other than toxic mist?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the Blue Flame have the moveset of a broadsword or longsword?

It has the moveset of the Blue Flame. Long/Broadswords are only different in their strong attacks, and Blueflame strong attacks are replaced by casting sorceries.

EDIT: I should note, I have no idea what happens when you 2hand the thing, so there may be some room for strong thrust/slashes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ronnz posted:

So, I think I completely hosed myself.

After beating the Royal Rat Vanguard (jesus..) i joined the Ratbros and instead of exploring past the Rat King I wanted to kill some invaders.

Wanting to be an rear end in a top hat I thought "hey, let's burn a Bonfire Ascetic so they have to fight NG+ rats!" :v:

Well, after burning it I remembered that I will now have to kill the Royal Rat Vanguard on NG+! :downs:

Please tell me that past the Rat King isn't the Gutter

You can get to the gutter through the well in Majula. Vanguard isn't that bad, either. You'll have much better options in NG+. If you want the real trick to make the fight more manageable, turn the music off and it won't seem so hectic. :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Good lord, the Belfry is insane. It's been just two hours since I joined up and I've already got almost 50 chucks.:stare:
I feel a little bad those poor guys who were just trying to get to the boss, but you know... there are chucks to be had.
Yeah, it is so easy to win in there I eventually started trying to get hosts to successfully get through the drat place and still ended up with more dead hosts than not.

No joke, most difficult thing I've done in Dark Souls 2 is trying to get hosts to successfully reach the boss door. In hindsight, bringing warmth may have trivialized the whole thing, but oh well... I did still want the chunks...

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I'm starting to be really disappointed by the DEX/swordsman style of play in the late game. In DS1 if you knew how to parry and you had a +15 Rapier you could absolutely annihilate any parryable opponent. In DS2 though the scaling sucks and for a lot of late game enemies I'm having to riposte like 3 or even 4 times :(

Use an upgraded dagger.

Rapiers do not seem to have the same massive critical damage bonus they did in Demon/Dark Souls. Instead, the dagger has it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Blue Sentinels seem to massively outnumber Way of the Blue members. I did 62 invasions yesterday (I know because that is how many cracked red eye's I had when I started) and only two summoned a Sentinel at all. It's likely that they were the only two people in Way of the Blue.

Also, they both failed to protect their target.

Its mostly that people just leave way of blue. If you do some "low level" invasions you'll maybe get 20% of your invasions or more summon a cop. I was doing some pirate invading in No-man's wharf around 80K SM and aside from getting wrecked because the work hook is that bad, saw a little under 10 cops out of 20 cracked eyes. Interestingly, I saw the same one maybe three times.

EDIT: should also note, that there are just compounding effects on all of the measures FROM took to try and mitigate low level twinks. Way of blue alone might have been pretty handy, but it doesn't agree with SM and no whole eye orb. I try to stay in way of blue on a bunch of my characters just to cops a bit more mileage, but I still haven't been invaded once on PC, and only twice on PS3, so oddly enough, Way of Blue is probably just going to be an NG+ thing, rather than a newbie covenant.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2014