Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Flame Weapon only does about half of that now since the patch.

Half of the scaling or half the flat increase? Or both???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

The biggest disappointment in Dark Souls 2 is that it's missing a place as dickish as sens.

Ratbroing is kind of like building your own little Sen's Fortress.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FlyinPingu posted:

Lucatiel chest piece is so great. :allears: Other pieces are the Hunter's Hat, and then the Judgement pants/gloves.

Dark Souls 2: Unironic Fedora Selfies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kazil posted:

He looked into the item find items and said they all apply the same buff. So wear any piece you want.

He peered into the very essence of the code. But what ever came of it...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

My best moment with Lucatiel was when I summoned her in front of the Smelter Demon and she promptly ran off the platform, into the lava and died. :downs:

That's the curse taking its toll. She thought the lava was strawberry bavarian cream. Poor Lucatiel.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bogart posted:

Man, that's a nice dingy robe. It looked much grosser in 1. Probably from all that firekeeper blood. :unsmigghh:

The dingy robe was great in DS1 for looking like Clint Eastwood. I'm really glad it's in this game too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know I really wish Lucatiel was a summon for the final boss instead of Vengarl. It would be like having Solaire for fighting Gwyn.

But then again she'd probably just fall off the cliff or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

It really should just be his head, rollin' around biting at stuff.

Maybe shooting some kind of magic mouth laser.

This is what I was expecting too. Why must you play games with my heart, DS2?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just defeated Nashandra and noticed in the localisation credits 'Yoko Ono'… surely not.

John Lennon wasn't killed, he just went hollow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just got invaded in Lost Bastille at like 100k SM. Not only that, a blue cop came to my aid (and then fell off a cliff or something). Killed the invader myself, but I gotta say it took me completely by surprise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Black Knight Greatsword or Ultra Greatsword might be good with those stats. Or the Defender Greatsword, if you use Sunlight Blade a lot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm about to take my first character to NG+ as well. Is murdering all the NPCs a good idea like it was in DS1?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rudager posted:

Since you said platform I'll assume you're talking about the first possible encounter with him, he only appears there once, but he'll turn up again in a short while where you won't be able to run in, grab your poo poo and run out without killing him

You can always bone out of boss arenas if you're fast enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm doing a polearm playthrough, and man, halberds are amazing once you get used to their sweet spot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is the only way to get Targray's halberd to kill him?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress the police.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh god, the backstep->light attack on halberds. Where have you been all my life?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: Creighton will react to you wearing Pate's gear. He won't attack you, but he'll chuckle and say "I've got you now you dirty rat" and then "Don't scare me like that, I thought you were him".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Handmirror Knight. Though I guess that'd be Handmirror K***t. :(

Actually ****mirror K***t. Because Hand is a dirty word.

(also it wouldn't fit anyway)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

For what it's worth "ask other people" is literally what the Souls games want you to do. Whether or not you agree with that intent or not is up to you, but the entire series was designed to make people discuss the game and talk about how they did things and how they succeeded so other players learn how to do it themselves.

So yes, go ahead, use a wiki or ask some friends. It's what the devs want you to do.

Yeah, DS is supposed to evoke the feeling of a bunch of kids on the playground telling each other how to get to the warp zone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

It takes regular titanite whereas the Drangleic set requires twinkling, so yeah you can definitely upgrade the Alonne set quicker and without feeling like you're wasting a limited resource.

Also regular titanite upgrades to a higher percentage than twinkling. Twinkling only goes up to 150% of base, regular goes up to double.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winning duels, killing sinners, and defending blue babies all count for ranking up.

e: misread that

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 28, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also it degrades twice as fast on PC (because you're playing at double the framerate!), unless they changed that recently. I don't think they did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Y'know, I'd never considered that spicing down spell requirements might affect the spell's scaling itself. Is that actually true, or does using a spice ONLY lower the requirement?

I know it lowers the duration of many spells, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't actually affect the spell's intrinsic scaling. Of course it would do less damage due to having less int/faith, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

I just got DSII in the steam deal, is there a writeup somewhere what's different between DSI and DSII?

edit: especially the controls differences, I haven't been able to do a jump attack yet.

If you've played DS1, you should know that the best experience is going in blind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poise is the stat you want. It mostly comes from heavy armor, but you also get a tiny bit based on the lesser of END or ADP. Poise makes you less likely to get staggered by hits. It won't completely prevent you from getting staggered, as a really big hit or a lot of small hits will stagger even the highest poise, but it helps a lot. Although, yes, the better to solution is to just not get hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also why are you so dead-set on getting a claymore? I mean, it's a decent weapon, but there are a load of better options that don't require as much trouble that early on. You can get a bastard sword much earlier which is nearly identical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's even worse on 4:3.

People still use 4:3? How quaint.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you collect all four crowns, and then go talk to Vendrick, they'll get a permanent, unbreakable life protection effect. You'll never hollow while wearing a crown.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, if you talk to Vendrick beforehand he'll tell you to retrieve the crowns and bring them to him.

But I didn't even know you could talk to Vendrick until I went back to kill his hollow form on a new character. my uncle who works at From told me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ashen Mist Heart allows you to peer into the memories of the withered...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Defeating Vendrick himself is such a loving chore in its own right. Dodge his attacks 50 times and never screw up even once or he'll oneshot you.

brb grinding 99 Adaptability

If you take him on immediately after beating Velstadt, he won't have the insane defense and attack multipliers regardless of how many giant souls you have. This is what I did on my first playthrough and he was a complete pushover, and I was wondering why everyone thought he was super tough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The halberd you get from the dragonrider's soul scales with magic and is pretty decent, but then again I'm a big halberd fan. It also has almost the same str/dex requirements as the MLGS, so it's a good holdover until you get that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Infusion changes the weapon's scaling, so it's generally not worth it if you have high str/dex. Demon's great hammer is good, but keep in mind that the 50 str requirement is for wielding in one hand. You only need 25 str to two-hand it. More str is never bad though. And yeah, use twinkling titanite on the demon's great hammer. It's the only material that can upgrade it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

Flynn's Ring (treasure in first DLC), provided you keep your equip load - and therefore vitality stat - low enough.

Is this actually good? I stripped down to nothing but my weapon and it only gave me like 5 extra attack power.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well that makes sense I guess. The description led me to believe it was based on your actual equip load, not your max.

God dammit From.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What the gently caress does "pubby" even mean in a game with anonymous multiplayer that constantly connects you to multiple other people involuntarily with little to no input from you.

HEH, looks like this loser didn't get an invite to the secret goon guild.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's what you get for trying to play "just the tip" with Ornstein.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Making the Moonlight greatsword was a mistake. I should have used that soul on crystal soul spear. It's attack animation is awful, way too slow, and can't be enchanted nor does flynn/blades ring do anything so does substandard damage. You don't need the ranged heavy attack as a caster since you have, you know, magic to deal with ranged.

If you infuse it with a magic stone (enchanted) it turns it into purely physical damage that scales with INT. Pretty sure it will work with RobFlynn that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

When would people suggest doing the DLC? Is there a good place in the story where they fit in?

The DLC areas are definitely intended to be tackled after beating the final boss from a difficulty perspective, but ~*lore-wise*~ it makes sense to do them beforehand. I'd suggest the former, since they're much harder than the rest of the game, but then on the other hand there's no real burning reason to do the final boss beforehand either, other than souls and maybe some boss weapons.