Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not going to go on an internet outrage campaign, but I do think it'll be very disappointing if the game will never end up looking as good as it initially did in that footage. This is a series that genuinely benefits from it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The embargo goes up early next week according to Brad Shoemaker, so that's still a long time before it's out. No need to try and get someone to break it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hey dudes, embargo's up. Definitely doesn't seem like they added in the old lighting system, but it sure does look nice running at 60 FPS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-ii-pc/2300-8726/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mans posted:

Yeah i read about the lightning and i'm okay with that because i'm not a child. I thought people were talking about actual graphic downgrading. Whiny goons will be whiny goons.

It is graphical downgrading, though. I'm not going to boycot it or anything, but let's not act like there isn't a pretty significant difference between what the game looks like now and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how you can't express disappointment in the degradation between preview footage and final product without being called a shallow whiny entitled douche baby

Wait no that's loving dumb

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah it looks different, but have you actually played the game? It's still good looking overall despite the flaws.

Yes, I have beaten the PS3 version. It's a good game that is not ugly. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that it doesn't look as good as it initially did, especially when I'm double dipping on PC. It's not a big deal, but it kind of sucks. Still looking forward to the PC version - the framerate alone will make a huge difference.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can just avoid hackers by staying hollow, can't you? There probably aren't that many great opportunities for coop now, anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Naar posted:

If you don't mind going for a slightly shady CD key seller, Simply CD Keys have it for £19.99 after a voucher, G2A and Fast2Play for a bit less, though they are shadier. Nuuvem are apparently selling a worldwide version for a decent price.

FWIW, I bought Thief from Simply CD Keys and had no issues. Though they seem to be out of stock of DS2 right now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I heard that in DS2 you have the ability to respec your stats, so does that include all your stats or just the ones you've added to? So for example, if you start as a class which has 9 intelligence, but you don't plan to use any spells, can you put yourself down to zero or 1 intelligence and reallocate those points elsewhere? Or is there a minimum of how low you can put something?

It's purely reallocation, no de-leveling. Don't think you can go below your starting stats.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Preoder: They start in your inventory.
No Preorder: You can buy them from an NPC roughly 2/3rds in the game.

Also it should be noted that those items are kind of garbage. At least I haven't found any use for them. Though it is the only way for all but one class to start with a shield from the very beginning.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Phsyical did, in europe.

Really? I just got my CE today :shobon:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, Lost Sinner is hard to fight in the dark. I think I'm missing something, what with the cutscene, and those two locked doors. I also heard a bell ring while exploring around that area.

So, I'm guessing I missed the Belfry?

Depending on your build, the Belfry boss can be much harder than Lost Sinner, so that's :darksouls:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sex Robot posted:

She always notices poo poo that you miss. It's like those skeletons in the field at the beginning of the game where those goblin monkey things are. She saw the skeletons as a flag for "agressive trap thing" but there isn't there's no trap. There is literally no reason for those skeletons to be there.

There is a reason. They're there to tell you not to gently caress with those monkey things. I did the first time and nearly died.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

Man, Velstadt was quite the fight :stare:

So I've killed the Throne Watcher/Defender, where do I go from here? There's a door with a chasm I clearly can't reach and I still haven't seen the area with all the dragons from the trailers.

There are other places you can use the King's Ring

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saw someone elsewhere mention that there are graphical mods out already. Anything stable/noteworthy at all?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but are any of the graphics/lighting mods safe to use now? I haven't kept up since like April or something, but now I want to play the DLC and I remember when those mods were released there was talk of VAC banning and the like.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I started a new character on PC, and although I haven't played the game since launch basically, I'm just cruising through the content. But I'm totally stuck in my old mindset and playstyle, so I'm rolling Drangleic armour and bastard sword and I'm not seeing anything that's much better yet at around the halfway point. On my first character I went for the Alonne Knight armour and greatsword, but I don't really want to do that again, so I'm looking for any other good alternative strength-based build.

How is the Murakumo in this game? I got one in the Majula chest, and it was my preferred weapon in DS1. It requires a lot of dex, but is it worth just sticking with the minimum requirement? I was thinking of switching to that and then sticking on maybe the elite knight armour to counteract the weight gain. People are saying it ends up being as good as the Drangleic armour, but gently caress farming for chunks again. Any other good mid-to-heavy armours?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just farmed for like 4 hours to get the full Mad Warrior set. I win at games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iretep posted:

It only took me about an hour thanks to the memory usage trick.

Yeah, I used that too, but it still took ages for the drat things to drop. Now I'll never loving take it off, though, so that character is going to be stuck looking like samurai predator forever, but I'm probably okay with that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a good completionist/expert LP run where the player is methodical and actually experiments with builds? Even ENB just stuck to mostly one type of character and pretty much didn't do any optional content.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm generally of the opinion that a lot of Dark Souls 2 felt kind of tepid. I'm not going to say it's worse or better than 1, because I also have a lot of problems with that game, but either way a lot of areas in vanilla DS 2 I found pretty unengaging.

I just started the DLC, and I must say that while Shulva is a pain, Dragon's Sanctum is loving awesome. As far as I'm concerned one of the best areas in the whole game. It really gave me that claustrophic D&D-style dungeon crawl that I thought the main game was lacking - it's not quite as dynamic as Sen's Fortress in terms of the encounters, but it feels a lot more dangerous and scary. Throwing all those spectral guards in your face was a real dick move, but the moment where you get to the big "revenge" area really made it all worth it; one of the best feelings I've gotten in the entire game.

So yeah, I hope the next two pieces are as good as this.

Holy poo poo Jester Thomas :smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Actually shrine of amana is cool and good, in my opinion

Having just gone through it for the first time since launch, it's gotten better. You're still just going on way too long fighting the same three enemy types, though, and it gets boring. If they had made it shorter or maybe cut the enemy count by 5-10, I don't think there would be as much complaining. It's just one of those areas that tests your patience, because you know it's not hard, but you still have to take it really slow.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've actually been messing around with the Curved Dragon Greatsword, and I like it a lot. I wanted to try a dex build that wasn't just fast weapons like katanas or daggers, so I started out with the Murakumo, which I like, but the scaling on that sucks. CDG requires a lot of strength, but has B/S scaling at +5, so it works out in the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nakar posted:

So I guess the Crown DLC will be taking place on like the rim of the Iron Keep volcano? It almost looks like you can look down into the skybox from Iron Keep in a few spots in those screenshots/videos; makes me think you might be able to even see Iron Keep from the DLC area.

Parts of the DLC look like some kind of foundry or factory, which is really cool. The rest are more castle-like, I guess.

Calling it: The entire purpose of this piece of DLC is to explain how that elevator works.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

The lengths people will go to avoid you as an invader are crazy. I had one guy in the aerie go to that little island you have to drop to on the zipline and chameleon himself. Right now, in the forest someone ran behind the King's Gate which I can't open or get to the other side of. Why???

This rules actually

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Daynab posted:

On the other hand, twinblades, curved greatswords, the warped sword powerstance R2, the sword-whip... There's a lot of wacky movesets in the game.
Personally I'm always happy to see more diversity.

What's wacky about curved greatswords?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Berserk is like the primary inspiration for these games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been replaying the PC version to prepare for the DLC

You know I was initially pretty disappointed with DS2, but after the second playthrough I like it a lot more. Like DS1 I think it has a few areas that are truly awful, but the overall pace is just so well-tuned, and when I wasn't playing I found myself constantly thinking about playing it. It has a lot of faults, but I definitely think the core gameplay essence is intact and incredible. The DLC rules too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Turns out the curse of the dark sign is just your skeleton wanting to get the gently caress out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The bossfights in DLC were pretty awesome, and I thought the tower was cool, but goddamn gently caress everything about Iron Tunnel. I don't even think I'm going to bother, it's just the most annoying slog and I'm not getting any non-NPC summons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If I have one major problem with these two DLC packs so far it's their insistence on putting lovely consumables into every freaking chest. I feel like 80% of the loot in both chapters is either dried roots or old radiant lifegems.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fashion Souls!

Goddamn do I love the Sir Alonne helm.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 28, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stokes posted:

RE: The Iron Passage and the hate it's getting. Why are you stopping to kill the enemies? Why do you need the shinies? I haven't even bothered with trying to get all the treasures in there because I know that they just aren't going to be worth the effort. It's been that way the entire game. What's that really hard to get treasure up there on that ledge? Oh it's just a consumable, whatever. The boss at the end is nothing special anyway it's just a re-skinned base game mini-boss. You don't need help for it.

So you're basically agreeing that it's total garbage, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Running past poo poo is my least favourite thing to do in Souls games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Maldron is probably one of the best examples of 'fake' difficulty. Hyper poise, unlimited stamina and the ability to heal as a phantom is just a stupid way of enhancing the challenge. Stripping away limitations a player has while giving them mechanical advantages a player can't actually get is silly.

I didn't want to follow him down that shithole so I went back and forth a few times to see if I could end him before he ran and finally I said gently caress it and when he ran I loving sprinted down onto the gear in the middle and jumped off it, landing a :krad: drop attack on him, and it was the best moment of this DLC for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Smornstein posted:

Is there any easy way to farm the Mad Warrior set yet out of curiosity? I never found him in the Belfry and Prowlers might be able to drop his stuff since they're kind of the exact same fight.

If you go to the belfry bonfire, put the game in a window and check the system processes. Rest at a bonfire until you see darksouls2.exe spike by 15k or so; this means the mad warrior has spawned. Go up and kill him with your best item drop gear, repeat. It'll still take you a while, but it's probably the most reliable method. I don't know if it's easier/quicker to kill the prowlers, I haven't tried it myself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

verybad posted:

I think Ruin Sentinels is a bullshit fight, not because it's especially challenging (well, not anymore anyway), but because the arena you fight them in is visually (& gameplay-wise) uninteresting, the sentinels are all the same and because it rewards a very passive, boring style of play where you turtle up behind your shield, maybe dodge a few big hits and just wait until everything lines up perfectly and then you counter hit once and go back to turtling. This seems to be a problem with the Souls series in general, though.

This is true, but I think people (myself included) give the other Souls games a pass on a design level if the encounters are thematically, narratively or aesthetically interesting. Ruin Sentinels is not. I'll admit it has probably the best boss music in the game (the only one that stands out to me, anyway), but it's just a big grey, square room with three tall dudes in armour who lumber around. It's a boring fight.

I think DS 2 is mostly rock solid or at least comparable to the other games in terms of general design. It's with everything else that it doesn't hold up. At least until the DLC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best caped armour is the Throne Defender's since it not only has a cape, but also two vestment-like cloths hanging from the front. Fashion Souls!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm looking for some sweet looking medium armor for my new cleric. I've already used the Lllewellyn and Archdrake armor a bunch on various characters, though, and I was hoping to find something a bit more ragged looking anyway, bit more 'wandering pilgrim' without just being straight up cloth armor. Doing a melee faith build so I'd like some poise at least.

Requires some ascetics, but Heide Knight?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

One of my other characters has the Exile Holding Cells bonfire at intensity 30. She did not get the chainmail. Plenty of those loving gauntlets though!

Maybe Creighton's set, then? At least the chest piece definitely has that worn, ragged chainmail look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

people always comment on the fact that Iron Keep is up an elevator and never on the fact that you emerge from a building in Heide's Tower onto a bunch of platforms in the middle of the ocean with no other land in sight

And also when you leave Heide's tower you take an elevator that goes straight down, deep underwater into a large cavern with its own separate ocean outside?