Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Umberger posted:

Also a thing people are missing is that not only could they do those things to you, they'd do those things (egghead/curse) in the first zone of the game to brand new players. It's just a really lovely way to introduce people to the game.

Ya, this was an utter dick move situation. I had a darkwraith gimmick character that I kept at the Belfry, and wouldn't you know it, egged/cursed. Which is a real bitch when you have no way to remove it without ruining your character.

Edit: Ended up hacking myself the cure items. Was just lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

I thought there would be a timer on how often you could get invaded like in DS1. I was only summoned once.

The real lovely thing about the rat covenant is not only do the enemies not attack the host of the world, but everything you kill is in their world so you aren't even making real progress. There's no incentive to do anything other than kill the host or die quickly. I was summoned by a crappy shield-stalling player who was constantly retreating behind enemies, I cleared out just about every rat before I finally killed him... and then returned to my world only to have to clear them all again. :sigh:

Just getting summoned is a victory for them in how they can force you to waste time killing enemies in another player's world. Or you can both do a mexican standoff since there is no incentive for the summoned player to progress in the level.

Actually, by killing the rats in the host world, you are actively hurting him. The rats are on the same respawn total as everything else. So if people keep killing the rats in the guy's dungeon, eventually the rats stop respawning when he rests at his bonefire, and now his little dungeon isn't as nice anymore. (Mind you, he can burn the item to repop mobs)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone else ever find that that in PvP they hit someone, the game makes the sound for them hitting the person, yet they don't take any damage? It happens for me on a regular basis with Pate's Spear. I'll clearly stab someone but they don't take any damage from it. Never see it happen to me though.

Happens to me frequently with maces. I'l hear the crushing sound, but they'll not take any damage. I'm usually fine with it, after all, I'm sure I've done the same thing to them right back.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

Also where's my kick? Is that long-windup bitch-slap supposed to be a replacement for it? It can't even destroy plank doors like kick in DS1 could.

The long-windup hit is the replacement for the kick. It's not nearly as overall useful as the kick. However, it is a guard break, and at that it is better than the kick ever was. If you hit someone with the guard break when they have their shield up, you can follow up with a free riposte.

I've surprised many a greatshield invader with it. People think it's just like the kick and that they are safe even if it connects. I've fixed that misconception.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Guard break seems so slow that most people would just backstep out of the way. I haven't tried it myself though, so maybe people are worse than I think.

Thing is if they even get tapped with that move while their shield is up, they go into a massive vulnerability animation. It's not like the kick where who cares if you get hit by it. Also you step forward during the windup yourself. Not something to overuse mind you, but effective where it's useful.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Crusher posted:

You're power stancing, right? The power stance left handed light attack is where it really shines.

I know the one/two left light is the overall most useful move, but I have a soft spot for the goofy as hell left power attack. Also, the right light attack is really useful for quick strike and move away play.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

turtlecrunch posted:

This. My impression is that when people say how much they love hexes they're not talking about the dark spells you might use to get through a PVE level, but the pay2play PVP and boss spells (Resonant). However, regular hexes do a little bit of knockback and stamina damage too so that's good...sometimes. :shrug:

I only use hexes to enchant my fist and for my pulling attack (DURKURB).

I've found Dark Fog/Dark Orb and even Dark Hail to be useful in PvE. Fog is fantastic on enemies it effects, and Orb is certainly a good option when you need a single target ranged nuke. Mind you, most of my general fighting comes from dual wielding maces, but hexes are certainly useful outside of bosses/pvp.

Mind you, you could spend those attunement slots on miracles as well, which might be a bit more PvE useful what with all the healing. I still like carrying Dark fog at least.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Do dual caestus have a power stance and if so, how much str/dex do I need to use it?

Bit late on this, but it's 15 str/9 dex. Light left attack is a one/two that is short range, but fast and damaging. Light right attack is the standard right straight, that has longer reach and is also fast on recovery, good for hit/run. Left power attack is goofy as hell, but does a lot of damage, not incredibly practical, but funny.

Seriously though, your main tools are the left and right light attacks. Also the rolling uppercut is not bad.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

You're kidding right? I mean, Gaping looked neat the first time you saw him, but then you realized he was an utter chump of a fight that is so boring you might as well skip him from then on.
I'm of the camp of preferring more humanoid bosses. I'll agree in that I wish their was more variety in the effective tactics for some bosses but all told I was never very impressed with DK1 "huge monster" boss fights. (DLC not included) Maybe we've just gotten to use to this genre of game. (also, I my judgement isn't complete since I haven't beaten DK2 yet)

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

joe football posted:

I'm trying pvp for the first time by being a jerk trying to max out the rat covenant. It's really fun but the rats stopped spawning after I got to level 2, is that intended or is there some way to get them back?

It is intentional. Just like all other areas of the game, monsters stop spawning after they've been killed enough. You can burn a bonfire ascetic to respawn them, though I'm not sure if that makes you eligible for NG+ invaders.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box posted:

shrug, I had fun with it. I'm not saying it was my favorite fight in the game or anything, I just thought it was a nice change of pace compared to some other bosses in the game. I would love a fight like that right now because at the point I'm at in Dark Souls 2 I am extremely tired of every boss fight being strafe right, dodge, attack, repeat.

Eh, I don't think he was freaking out about it. A lot of us just think Gaping Dragon is a really, really boring fight. I thought Covetous Demon was more interesting, and I killed him without dieing. At least it looked like he had a variety of attacks, and even had an attack for when you were attacking him from the side. (which was really easy to see coming)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Babyface Mingo posted:

Real quick, anyone know why my Dark Souls 2 online isn't working?

You didn't by chance burn a human effigy at a bonfire did you? Also you aren't VAC banned are you?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreadNite posted:

For those who have put a bunch of hours into this already and played the first Dark Souls, how you would you compare it against the first? I'll be picking it up tomorrow and am looking forward to playing it but wanted to hear what you guys thought.

No spoilers please! :D

Personal opinion, the areas are a little more compact that DS1, which can be a bit annoying. I personally like the combat system in this game more than the last. Dark souls PvP is still Dark Souls PvP, but you've got more options for it now. Co-op is fantastic in this game, much better than dark souls 1. Soul memory sucks, but overall, as long as your pressing forward on your character, it's not that bad.

The interface improvements are fanatic, IMO.

Babyface Mingo posted:

Although I am VAC Banned, but I doubt Dark Souls II is running on TF2/CS:S-era Source engine.

If you are VAC banned, you cannot use Dark Souls 2 online at all. The developers have said this is a bug though, so hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Babyface Mingo posted:

Thanks, gonna wait and see I suppose. Oh well, doubt no online will really ruin Dark Souls 2.

Apparently, if you make another steam account, then use family sharing on your main account to share with the secondary account, it gets around this issue. Not sure on the finer details on that path though, something to look up if you are interested though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

All in all, I'd say Dark Souls 1 is categorically the better game. Things just fit together better, there's a lot less redundancy and wasted space. The controls are tighter, the difficulty ramps up smoother and the general sense of progression is stronger.

Well, at least until you beat O+S and get the lord vessel, at which point DKS1 turns into a hot mess.

This is going to be one of the places I feel a lot of people disagree. I'm noticing the lack of a connected world as well, but for me, it's not as big of deal. And I'm enjoying the challenge most of the areas bring so far. Now, I haven't finished the game, so I can't truthfully weigh in, but so far I haven't come across completely dull areas with dozens of slow non-threatening enemies leading up to bullshit gimmick bosses.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd love to hear back from you about that, please tell me how you're feeling about this after doing the Undead Purgatory.

Fair enough, I'll revise my statements when I reach the end of the game. So far I haven't run into DKS2 Lost Izalith though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreadNite posted:

How about the PvP? Is sorcery (Dark Bead *cough* cough*) as broken as it was in DS1 PVP? Or is DS2 more balanced than it's predecessor?

Magic still is very powerful. Certain melee setups can be very powerful. Apparently, with a certain build the Avelyn is extremely powerful. I can't really comment on how it's all going to shake out as people min/max to all hell, but right now it feels fairly right. I've been beaten by, and beaten casters. I've been the caster and gotten punched to death. I'd say it's too early for me to personally call. Example, the really powerful spell Dark Fog has ruined a lot of people I've fought against. Two days ago, I fought against a non-magic user who swapped between all sorts of different move sets and instantly cured the poison from Dark Fog, he kicked my rear end.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

alarumklok posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the world's worst PvPer. I've invaded/been invaded at least a dozen times so far, including some ratbro-ing of my own, and I have won ONE fight, and the guy was afk and I just had to kill him before his bluebuddy could off me. Someone, tell me the top 10 secrets big pharma doesn't want me to know about PvP.

Um, that's kind of hard to say, it depends a lot on what they/you are doing. Um general things. 1. Always try and keep enough stamina for a roll. 2. Don't overuse one move, try and mix it up with other moves or swapping weapons quickly. 3. Ranged weapons are useful. A quick throwing dagger is extra a bit of extra damage, and it can surprise people. 4. The guard break is absurdly useful if they are overusing a shield. If you succeed at hitting them, immediately get close and hit R1 for a potential riposte for strong damage. 5. Poison is very effective to the unprepared. If you can poison someone, you will often win your fight with little trouble. Mind you, if the person you are fighting immediately uses a consumable to counter it, then you know you're dealing with a tough opponent.

That's all I got without knowing what you are using/how you play.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 30, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Crusher posted:

For anyone who loves fun, do yourself a favor and take the force miracle to that tiny bridge at the entrance of Belfry Luna. Enjoy your free kills via gravity.

Careful with this, if you get an enemy caster you've put yourself in a bad spot. So many kills with dark fog/flame swathe.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

scamtank posted:

Traitor Henk, the wondrous mantank of Lost Bastille.

You run Redeye Ring with that build? It seems like it would be perfect, and make hosts like you.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So yesterday, I got it in my head to try a belmont build again reguardless of getting the old whip or not. I rushed a deprived to Old Dragonrider, rushed through through Huntsmans and Earthen, and got the dull ember.

So now that I can buy/upgrade/dual wield whips....how do you make these things not suck? My L2 powerstance attack does like 170-200 damage. I expect this damage difference is because I'm so use to using strike weapons, but it just seems awful.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So, no suggestions on making whips not underperform? Alright, guess it's time to try out that great club.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ice_Mallet posted:

I've been dual-weilding a fire whip with a dark old whip, and that's been working out pretty great. Whips in general don't have enough durability to stand by themselves, and they also lack damage. While the old whip has damage, it's durability is abysmal to the point that by itself it's unusable.

However, whips are great at supplementing other mid-range weapons. This includes whips themselves. For example, I can deal damage with the old whip when I require it, and when I want to save the durability of my old whip I just use the other whip instead. And since you're also using the old whip, your secondary whip also takes less wear and tear. This allows me to deal decent damage at a decent range while keeping my whips functional.

I haven't tried the status whips yet, although I heard having a poison-infused spotted whip with poison resin on it is pretty effective. Since Fai increases Bleed BNS for whatever reason, a faith build should be able to use a bleed-infused notched whip pretty well.

Hmm. Thanks for the advice. I think I need to just buckle down and beat the game, instead of hoping all over the place with my characters. My Richter Belmont build was getting more use out of the Heide knight sword than my multitude of whips. Hell, I could do next to no damage to Smelter demon with anything. On the plus note, I'm really good at dodging Smelters attacks now.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Akett posted:

Man, I feel like helping people fight the Covetous Demon is the most subtly insulting thing you can do. It's like you're saying "Ha! You need help with this guy!"

And yet it's the best option I have for getting my humanity back because my soul memory is so high that the only people who can summon me in Heide's are in NG+.

I've been summoning all sorts of help for every boss I've already beaten. It's not so much that I need the help, it's that I want to spread the rewards to others.
Summoned help for Last Giant and Covetous last night, and I think my co-op partner for Earthen Rise was shocked when we got to the 2nd bonefire and I immediately torched the windmill.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man, so I am following the pro-strat hexers guide and I bonfire ascetic'd the poo poo out of undead lockaway. the only trouble is every phantom I summon decides the best strat for skeleton lords is to kill all 3 of them and let me die to a swarm of adds.

Ahh, okay qualification, I wouldn't summon help for Skeleton Lords or Smelter demon. Skeleton Lords are really very easy solo, and help just leads to exactly as you say. Smelter demon because I find the health increase not worth the tradeoff for the extra bodies.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Protagonist posted:

Also I've gotten 3 of the great souls Sinner, Spider Monster Lady, and The Rotten, and I have no idea where to go now, I've exhausted all the paths yet-to-be-explored that I was aware of, but I don't want to just look up the answer. Just a hint on what area I should look into more thoroughly.

After you beat Old Dragonrider and unlocked that bonfire, did you talk to the Miracle lady? If you did, did you exhaust her dialogue so that she leaves? And when she leaves, have you found her a second time? If you have trouble finding her, go back to Majula and head on the path back towards Heide's Tower of Flame

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

BobbyK posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but I've been slowly working my way through this thread and I'm not caught up yet.

If I leave a covenant to join another one, then come back to it, does it reset?

No. Their is no penalty for leaving/rejoining covenants.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I hear there's a magic mace in the Bastille but I can't seem to find it. Where should I look?

Huh, I'd be interested in that as well. I never found a magic mace in the Bastille. Found one in Huntsman's Copse though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Maybe that's the one. How much more until the Copse from where I am in Bastille?

The Copse is on a different path than the Bastille. You can probably get there right now, if you've beaten Old Dragonrider that is.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How many different 'paths' are there, out of curiosity?

From Majula, four, though one of them leads to the same spot, so really three. However, no matter which path you take first, you can find a consumable that opens another path. Makes a grand total of five paths from Majula.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

lonter posted:

Which mace is it that gets good? IS it the one clerics start with, or are there others I should look out for?

It's a mace in this game it's probably good. But ya, the mace the cleric starts with and the blacksmith sells are really good starting weapons. Might be replaced with better things later, but to start it's fantastic. I'm still using mine on my hexer. Hits for like 400+ with dark weapon while one handing.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Silly me, here I was almost having fun the wrong way!

A lot of people here think bowing or such before fights is really stupid. Personally, I like to emote, but if they attack me, it's my own drat fault. I suggest if you want to bow, that you do so when they are outside of a range they can do anything to you.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

They should let you use red signs even if you're not full human. You can be invaded when you're not full human!

Um, you can use red signs if you aren't human. Mind you, if you aren't wearing the ring that makes you appear human you open yourself up to be soul appeased.

Had that happen to me before. First time I'd seen the spell, so I kinda walked into it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

88h88 posted:

Could someone please explain to me just what the deal is with Belfry Luna I mean just what am I supposed to be doing? I talked to the guy on the door but he's clearly mental and I go wander about and get attacked despite supposedly being friends with door dude...

It's a optional PVP area. What you as the host player need to do is run up the two flights of stairs, and climb the ladder to the top. Up there is a lever that you need to pull, which opens the gate blocking the fog door on the second level. Now go back down and through this fog door, and prepare for Belfry Gargoyles Redux.

Oh, and players will be invading you until you get into the fog door. However, if you pull the lever then die, the gate stays open and you can skip the roof part.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

bobby2times posted:

The Bat Staff and Dark Fog is so overpowered. I'm just wrecking fools on the Iron Keep bridge.

Until you run into the prepared pvp character with like 99 poison cure moss on his quickslots. I fought with a guy who was prepared like that, and lost pretty badly.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

No seriously I'm sunbroing the sentinels and 7 out of 8 people so far have been casters. That die to the sentinels in one hit.

I've noticed that too and love it. Redeye ring, decent armor and a greatshield. Ya guys, go ahead and cast, I've got this.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Kimmalah posted:

So have you seen how much damage they take from magic? :raise: The fight is only hard for casters because it's impossible to dodge three dudes and cast at the same time.

Yes, they take a lot from magic. I was trying to say I like the fight because I enjoy tanking it for other casters.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

bef posted:

Also where do I find the games earliest hexes/sorcery spells? Soul arrows are really boring

For hexes, you could kill Dragonrider then open the path to Huntsman's Copse. Trainer is right there near the first bonfire.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, finally beat it. This thread is huge and my complaints have probably already been stated. Some good improvements in this game, but a few steps back in other regards. Still a good game, and I'll start up NG+ after I take a break for a few days. With 60 hours worth of play between three characters, I can't say I didn't get a good deal out of it.

Lots of stuff to like. And I love co-op in these games, so doing that was very enjoyable this iteration. I kind of wish bosses would get more move sets when they detect co-op partners. Would be nifty to see more multi person attacks if the situation calls (not just AoE of course).

Think my favorite fight ended up being Smelter Demon. Really enjoyed throwing Red eye ring on with a Gyrm's Greatshield and tanking that for others. Though he's not as easy as the Ruin Sentinels since he'll actually switch targets often even with the ring. Too many easy bosses though, that probably could have been cut out for more level. I mean, Prowling Magus and Congregation, Covetous Demon, The Rotten, just to name a few. Ahh well, I had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Realtalk; yeah his spells are pretty great but lingering flame is simultaneously awful and amazing. I always equip it because its useful but taking up two slots AND having the worlds longest cast time makes it pretty painful to use.

I feel the same way. It's such a long cast time, and it kind of goes away a bit too fast for my taste. At the same time, you get hilarious moments with it sometimes. I was bellbroing, was summoned in near the fog. Threw down a mine at the door. Right as I placed it and was moving away/climbing the ladder in Sol, the host rushes past me, and tried to get through the fog door.

Wish I had grabbed a screenshot of him blowing up.