Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Here's a screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

can we dumb opinion clickbait

(clicks article, Matt is upset because of the pandemic meaning no crowds)

He's working anyway. He's coming up with a new character.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Benne posted:

Do we even know what TNT's plans were for a second show other than "we've been talking about it?" Most of the speculation was about moving Dark to TV, which could still happen since they're still taping that and putting important stars on it. COVID obviously hosed everything up, but by all accounts TNT is extremely happy with AEW and wants to make them a big part of the WarnerMedia family.

Tony was on Eric Bischoff's podcast recently and from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like they just want to air Dark. He said he wants it to be pretty different in style and presentation from Dynamite. Personally, I'm hoping he's studying Lucha Underground since that's the closest any wrestling show has come to feeling different.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Benne posted:

I kinda hope he doesn't since that show was a massive ratings flop and hemorrhaged millions of dollars for years, and I say that as one of this forum's biggest LU stans at the time.

To be fair, there's a lot of really dumb mistakes that LU made (and it being a ratings flop could almost entirely be attributed to it being on a channel that nobody had) that I don't see AEW repeating. The not touring or selling tickets, and especially the completely abysmal merchandising that LU did, I don't think would be mistakes that AEW makes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pinche Rudo posted:

Hangman needs to sign with NXT *drinks a giant jar of piss*

I can't think of a company that would handle Hangman worse than NXT.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Baker posted:

It's because it is hard to gauge if people are actually excited to see Matt Cardona.

Related to this, I've been kind of fascinated by the subtle ways wrestlers have had to change to adapt to a fake crowd. With MJF, it felt like he was working the other people on the roster as much as the audience at home.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW did/does do it with Lance Archer and Jake and it rules every time. Because it's good.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 4, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheRoonMeister/status/1292278053801013249

Pylons fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 9, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

lol why do ppl tweet dumb poo poo at cody and then delete it when he responds like do they not realize he regularly responds earnestly to stuff like that

He actually responded to Cody with a big tirade about Orange Cassidy and Brandi and WCW and Tony Khan, then he got worried about getting "doxed by AEW fans" so he protected his account. His twitter also had like a million posts about the Premier League being corrupt and retweeted takes about Kylie Rae.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really liked the build up of the Fiend but his matches suck and he comes off like a very creative guy who is a terrible fit for modern weekly wrestling.

The Fiend would be a million times better in AEW because they'd actually put some effort into his video production. And that's not saying "The Fiend should go to AEW" because I don't want that.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Does this article count? Because uh, wow.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

All of these complaints about fans were stupid a few years ago because we knew that it was not impossible to create a well received product, they just don't do it. Now there's a company actually doing that and the complaints seem even stupider.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Was there anything else to the story of Tessa refusing to cut promos for Impact while their World Champion and refusing to give the belt back while she was in Mexico? I can't blame her for not wanting to travel during the pandemic, but refusing to even cooperate with Impact was pretty lovely to do after they stuck their necks out and defended their decision to make her World Champion right after all the racist stuff she said came out.

Presumably she didn't want to cut promos if it was just going to lead to her vacating the belt anyway (which it was, because she wasn't leaving Mexico). I think she did return the belt though.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How the gently caress could anyone think Matt isn't so much happier to be at AEW than WWE?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The thing that really gets me about those arguments (because I've heard them before) is that they act like the only thing that matters is titles. Brodie was IC champ in WWE (for all of.. 27 days?), was he leading a stable that he got to design the identity of? Did they even let him talk? Did he get a competitive WWE title match where he got to kick out of the champion's finisher (at 1!)? Did he get to utterly squish an EVP and mid-card champ?

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 10, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Bayley kinda looks like Maribeth Monroe there.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Did Dave even bother to review the Shiozaki Kenoh match that is one of the best matches of the year? Weird how he has a Japan-boner and yet watches very little outside of New Japan :thunk:

To be fair, there's plenty of stuff he watches but doesn't rate because less people care about it. I think CMLL is an example.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Benne posted:

Also Dave is consistently more generous to WWE than many of his biggest critics

He's way more generous to WWE than Alvarez.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's way more accurate to criticize AEW for Justin Roberts and Darby Allin than Jimmy Havoc who they pulled basically immediately and let go after a few months.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cody got a good match out of Hager which is like a loving miracle.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

The worst Cody challenger was easily WARHORSE and that was not on Cody exactly. The match was just badly designed and played to none of WARHORSE's strengths while also coming the week after Eddie tore the company down.

Yeah, they didn't let him cut a promo but also following Kingston's promo from last week would've been a gigantic order.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rarity posted:

Didn't a survey show that wrestling fans are more left wing than most other American sports?

It was from a few years ago but it showed that pro wrestling fans are both pretty left (for the American spectrum) and also not very likely to turn out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think about Impact at all.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Isn't that profitability mostly because of the Saudi deal though (and it's still unclear whether they've actually gotten paid for that)?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I’m also willing to bet that wwe forbade anyone who might have made a video from doing so

They blacklisted DDP and Vickie for being associated with AEW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Let's never refer to this man as being objective ever again. One was a masterpiece of professional wrestling, the other was sloppy. I don't think Cody/Lee was a bad match but it wasn't anywhere near the level that Balor/O'Reilly was.

As far as journalists go, Meltzer is as biased as any. He's a bought and paid AEW shill with no objectivity, so expecting honesty from him would be like waiting for Sean Hannity to be truthful about Biden. It's just not happening.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NJPW fans acting like WTL hasn't been the butt of every New Japan joke for the past 5 years.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sometimes it feels like some of them have that underground/indie band attitude where half the reason they like what they do is because it's less popular comparatively.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Honestly if it was year 1 of AEW I'd be leery about a partnership because the relationship would probably be very similar to ROH's relationship with New Japan, but at this point AEW has done very well at standing on their own two feet.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah. The match he had with Jungle Boy on Dynamite is light years behind their match at DoN, and part of that can be attributed to it being a TV match vs. a PPV match, but MJF (and Jungle Boy) have both really gotten better since then.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Also most of the fantasy booking I've seen.. doesn't really involve The Elite except for Kenny and Hangman? Nobody is like "hell yeah, let's bring Cody back in"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WWE would love to have Cody back. They wouldn't use him well at all.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Honestly, he'd probably have gone to WWE over re-signing with NJPW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Broke: MJF vs. Ishii

Woke: MJF vs. KENOH

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder if there should be a separate thread for stupid wrestling journalist opinions.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

More people learned about Carter's signing with WWE on Miro's twitch than will watch his NXT UK debut. In fact, there's a good chance that more people will watch because of it, so thanks Miro.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 17, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did they even sign Sydal? I assumed he was on a per-appearance deal.

I don't think he's signed but he's probably closer than Cardona ever was.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My aunt walked by my computer and read that post and disagrees.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alright, fess up, which one of you wrote the Town Hall segment last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

davidbix posted:

BTW, for the record, this is from /r/politics. I don't think it's even been posted on /r/SquaredCircle last I checked.

It was, but got quietly removed for some reason.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/jkeacs/wwe_cofounder_linda_mcmahon_who_runs_trumps/

Edit: Oh whoops, wrong scandal today, I think?

Pylons fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 30, 2020