Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That is a great opinion imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't know anyone who watches sports because of the biggest star. I watch sports because I like the competition and I guess also because I want to see my team win. Everyone I know watches for pretty much the same reason.

You don't know anyone who watched a Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, or Floyd Mayweather fight, but not the latest UFC or boxing events?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

"Rock doesn't count" is a very stupid take I'll agree to that but uh how the hell does Kofi not count?

I believe the argument is that Africa doesn't count.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, the general point of 'just make a good product and don't constantly talk about WWE' is fair.

When we tried talking about TNA you complained about that too.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

I put 95% of Cena being booed due to having two finishers that looked awful that prevented anyone from popping.

Counterpoint: People who booed Cena cheered for Edge, who had like 8 finishers, each and every one of which sucked.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

it may sound impossible to believe but brian adams and bryan clarke were one of the better parts of the utter death era of WCW

although that may explain why that period was utter death

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cavauro posted:

is anyone here 'PepsiPlunge' or 'FFDragon' from gamefaqs.com? in 2002 or 2003 or something my name on there was alex shelley and those people would send me ROH videos through email. well, that's all.

I feel like a veil has been lifted from my eyes, and now the world makes so much more sense.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Austin was a badass who beat the crap out of assholes. Repeatedly, like nearly every single night. That's why it worked. Vince/Austin was a unique take on it.

Now they still have the Vince/Austin factor, but now the heroes rarely win, which is the exact mindset that helped kill Vince's rivals in the first place.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randy Orton is a much, much, much better worker than NXT's #2(?) babyface(?), Dexter Lumis.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

My biggest issue with the 2012 match isn't that the ending is bad in a vacuum (it's fine when taken out of context, since it tells a coherent story - Big McLargeHuge comes in, fucks up the hero, but is hoisted by his own petard due to his hubris) but that it came in "the worst year of Cena's life."

Cena absolutely should have been getting beaten left and right, and even knocked down to opening match or even Lo-Down level - "sorry John, you're poo poo and we've given your spot to Drew Carey" to really sell that point home.

Don't worry, WWE has been doing this for you for multiple years now, just with the entire WWE roster. They even included the 'everyone sucks so much we're pushing a Drew' bit!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Plenty of video games are bigger than any movie.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I don't get people on there who act like Meltzer has some anti WWE bias when in reality he's often too kind when it comes to them. Just listen to him defend this Lana story line even though it makes no sense whatsoever.

Meltzer being biased against whatever company you like and towards whatever company you dislike is a tradition that existed long before reddit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm gonna say that maybe we shouldn't post Brodie-related tweets because the purpose of this thread is partially to have fun laughing at idiots and there's no fun in posting those.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When was the bug shift in the IWC or has it always been like this? I'm the early 2000s I was very much on the wrestling boards and chatrooms and just saying you liked the WWE in any capacity would get you labeled a mark but it's like completely reversed now.

All you need to know is that all evidence we have is that the IWC hated babyface Steve Austin and thought turning him heel was a great idea.

Basically nothing has changed.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

Wade Keller, unable to comprehend the concept of birthday presents

I mean, it's very possible that AEW introduced the concept of birthday cakes to Jake Roberts.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Man who defends Brodie Lee conspiracy theorists is deeply offended, oh no.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

I think first is Peyton Royce or Charlotte, second is Brody and I don’t have a clue about the third

Second is Roman Reigns. If Ryan Satin had mentioned the Brodie thing it'd have actually been a good dig, so of course he didn't.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Zombie Lemur posted:

Not that this applies to that dude in particular, but my favorite genre of twitter account is the wannabe influencer that's like @MeltzerKryptonite316 with a bio that talks about how they keep the IWC in line.

But then you look at their tweets and they get less engagement than some random grandma talking about how her rutabagas are coming along really well this year.

Normally I'm fine with this kind of stuff but you have crossed the line.

The Rutabaga-growing Grandma Community is far better than any wrestling one.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Babyface cash-ins on weakened opponents are always terrible and part of the reason why the babyface run after that fails is because a wrestler WWE has faith in would have a cash-in built up to instead of going 'gently caress it, we're not giving you a real push to the title, but here, have the belt!' The terrible run after the cash-in is because WWE thinks the wrestler sucks too much to actually carry their end of the feud.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Davros1 posted:

It was Vince SR's idea. The Senior McMahon was big on ethnic gimmicks, so he pictured Hogan as an Irish character.

In defense of Vince Sr., I believe his reasoning was that Bruno was a massive draw among Italian fans, so Hogan was supposed to be that kind of draw, but for the Irish.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Who, currently signed to AEW, should be a tv jobber.

cm punk

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

karmicknight posted:

alright, Punkhausen vs. rear end Boys is a money match.

Those Punk rear end videos from WWE were secretly part of a nearly decade-long build to this feud.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Guillermus posted:

He'll put more content and when this thread forgets about him, he's gonna melt down hard.

Ah, the NWA Mountain State method.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Agreed Tony Schiacone trying to convince people that AEW isn't going to end tonight with the final Dynamite ever is some shameful posting.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wrestling fans are weird because all people who obsess over entertainment are weird, and wrestling is designed to get you obsessed in ways other forms of entertainment aren't.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tony Khan's greatest strength and weakness is being a poster.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The most damning thing ever said about Tessa was when Tony Schiavone was doing a public Q&A and someone asked if Tessa was going to be in AEW and he went 'No' and moved onto the next question as casually as possible.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Seams posted:

do people normally ask for concussions

anybody who asks for a steel chair shot to the head to really be laid into,

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

The AR graphics look stupid as gently caress and cheapen the hell out of the whole product

They should have gone when Vince did

They should go further and do AR matches.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shard posted:

This is revisonist history because folks absolutly cared about Cena. During his first heel run, then during his face turn and right up until he was fighting Christian and Angel for the world title. And even then half the crowd loved him and half the crowd hated his guts. But people were never quiet.

You're right in that nowadays women and children are considered people by hardcore wrestling fans, but they definitely weren't during Cena's prime. They were the enemy, and if those groups liked a wrestler, it was proof that wrestler sucked.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

Because Hogan wanted to put his name on a ratings pop, right?

Close, Hogan wanted credit from the executives in attendance for selling out the Georgia Dome (which had already sold out).

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The current AEW world champion who is set up to be the top star of the company for the next 15 or so years is a minority.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

I only watched the video of him addressing the crowd once so I may me misremembering, but it seemed like people cooled off on the booing when he started talking about how people should be afraid for their safety when they come to work.

I do find it admirable how he went out to the live crowd like that. He didn’t have to do that or the pretape, it’s somewhat unprecedented in wrestling aside from stuff that drove storylines/character arcs like the “Bret screwed Bret” stuff after Montreal.

I can't help but wonder if part of the reason he did it is he knew he was opening the show with the return of Danielson, someone he knew A) he could trust completely, and B) Chicago would go nuts with joy over seeing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

who is that next to cole

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

shiksa posted:

thats mr wardlow

i legit didn't recognize him did wardlow get fired and this is his rick bognar equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The thing about high-end ECW is that the people who have done nothing since leaving ECW/ECW died but leech off the ECW name weren't the people doing high-end stuff.

So the names who are associated with only having success in ECW drag the reputation down, along with a lot of the angles/edginess just...well, being exactly what 'the problem with the Attitude Era is that it's not edgy enough' would result in.

Like if you tell me 'Yeah ECW Great Shane Douglas' I go 'okay there is no way that's watchable unless he's being carried'.