Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Loving the 8.1 update so far. Seems to run a bit smoother now too. Although the 8gb storage on my HTC 8x definitely feels more restricted now with only some 3 GB free or so. Might have to pick up a new 730 or similar when they come out so I can put more than 10 songs and a game on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

If anybody is interested, AT&T is selling refurbished 925s for 80$ without a contract. Not a terrible deal for sure.

I saw this deal and wanted to jump on it, but the thought of having to sign up for a new service and then canceling (they do a credit check and require your SSN), possible fees, and the chance of at&t being shady, was enough for me to back out. They also had galaxy s4s for 179 and other good deals.

They'll probably show up on eBay or swappa after all the fatwallet people get them and try to turn a profit.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You might not have seen it because I edited my post in that thread 4 hours afterwards, but the 520 and 620 are also options on AT&T. I recommended the 820 because it is a bit nicer (better back camera, front camera, double the RAM, option for wireless charging) than the 520 and your budget can afford it, although I suppose at that point you could do what RVProfootballer said and scour for a deal on the 920/925.

Honestly I think the 820 is probably the best buy at the moment, unless you really are looking for the higher definition screen. The 820 has a removable battery and has support for a SD card, which means 64 gigs of extra space. Also, it has an AMOLED screen which I hear makes glance use a negligible battery usage. You can also pick them up for around $100.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
A known issue for the 820 is that the battery does not properly sit in the phone. Take off the back cover and see if the battery just falls straight out.

I had this problem as well and the solution is to buy a 3rd party battery or place a small piece of paper to ensure the contact with the battery and the metal contacts.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

No, it's not even that they're incapable of making a usable app on their platform. The WP8.0 one was usable. The WP7.5 one was good, even. They took a good app and made it usable, then took that one and broke the poo poo out of it. v:geno:v

Just like the Zune -> Windows Phone desktop app.

Anyone have any problems with Cortana identifying music on 8.1? I can't tell if it's my phones microphone or if the portion of Cortana is now garbage.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, after posting on the Android thread apparently Android has never had any optimization problems and has never been a RAM hog...

So after some more research, I think I might be going with the Nokia Lumia 920. I can get one for $250 which is $50 over my original budget but still quite reasonable

720p screen (well 1280 x 768 becasue of the digital button thing windows has) 1GB of RAM, and whilst it doesn't have expandable storage it does have 32GB built in and works with windows 8.1

Is this a good phone?

If possible, get a Nokia 925 instead of a 920 if you can. If you want to get a 920 on the cheap you can pick one up on Swappa for ~$120 or so. But if you want to go cheap, get a 520/521 or wait a month or two until the 635 comes out for $99.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
The Nokia Lumia 830 is going to be :siren:$450:siren: on AT&T.

What the hell? I can buy an unlocked international 930 for $460 off Amazon.

This seems almost too high of a price with the Nexus 5 unlocked at $350?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

MobMentality posted:

I think I'm the guy WP is designed for. Completely ADHD about how I use my phone. I've got the HTC M8 and, though initially hesitant about moving from the Lumia line (with a brief period of using a Galaxy), I'm loving it. Then again, I only make brief acquaintance with any of my apps. I can see how anyone wanting more intimate function out of their apps could be extremely frustrated.

I'm pretty much the same way, only apps I use are awful, readit, myTube, and facebook messenger. The annoyance and lack of apps doesn't really affect me.

Although the facebook messenger apps drains battery ridiculously fast, and forced me to uninstall it and use the website instead. The facebook app luckily provides notifications for messaging.

Would have of course preferred a 930/icon instead of the m8 windows, as it was a logical upgrade from the 920. Microsoft probably hosed that one up.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Good news!! Microsoft has finally released a great flagship!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Lumia-1330-specs-revealed-by-GFXBench-listing.133635.0.html

Can't wait to use my 5.7 inch phablet with a snapdragon 400!

This thing is going to suck unless it is priced low, wait didn't Microsoft already try that with the 830 but it was about $150 too much?

I understand going for the low cost market, but I can't imagine someone in a low cost market grabbing one of these.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So after a few days in rice my bathtub dunked 1520 wont turn on. No response with a usb charger in (though it's a lower ampage vs. the 1520's original. I have yet to try a charging plate, though I don't think the battery would have died so I don't think this is the problem.

Any ideas on the next steps to rehabilitate a water damaged phone? This 920 I'm back on is insufficient.

Take it to the local Microsoft store and tell them it doesn't work or turn on? Should still be under the one year warranty and they are pretty lax with replacements, even if its not something covered by warranty such as drops.

My girlfriend took an 18 month old 920 whose battery was lasting only 6-7 hours on a full charge and they just swapped it out for a new 1020. I have heard though that sometimes they'll only do an out of warranty/etc replacement if you buy their extended warranty thing.

Worth a shot though I think, just make sure you make an appointment through the store because otherwise you'll get there and they will make you set up an appointment.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Good news: If uninstalling does not work, reformat your device. :)

The app might be trying to read the old database file (which it will blow up on, because they are totally different) and uninstalling it might not actually be deleting it (which makes no loving sense to me, considering it's in storage on the app, but that's windows phone for ya). So you might have to reformat to fully get rid of that lovely database file.

Also if it's blowing up at startup on the new version I just released, it will blow up in the beta too. Again, it's probably the database file. So yeah, reformat.

EDIT: And I just reproduced it in the simulator. Installing the old version (with the crappy database) and installing the new version on top of it will cause it to blow up. And uninstalling it won't help, even though I'm storing them in ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder it's still there, so it tries to load it.

What the gently caress, this is lame :\. So yeah, I guess you do have to reformat and try again. gently caress this poo poo :shrug:.

Really glad I got an HTC M8 Windows instead of the Android version.

FYI if you have an M8 windows, don't update the dot view update as it will screw up your dot view case and make it worthless! I'm holding on to the dumb platform only because of Windows 10, which my phone may not get anyway, in hopes that *this* update will fix WP.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

It was better than either of those phones when they were all new; it still is now.

820 isn't too bad. I prefered it over the 920 (even though I believe it had a lesser resolution screen).

I really liked the form factor of the HTC 8x and I wish it was updated with better specs, etc, but that's unlikely.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

The estimate for fixing the upgrade bug is sometime next week. So, if you feel like toughing it out on 10080 for another week, you can possibly get it then.

Hopefully this one is stable compared to the garbage that was 10080.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

The write-off just means that they think the acquisition won't make as much money as it cost, though, right? I can see how that would lead to those rumors, but it also just makes sense that they'd do it to close off the fiscal year. I think, I'm no expert on corporate finance.

Something like that. It was valued at say $100 and they paid $125, so the accounting difference (goodwill) was $25. That 25 might decrease to 0, but it isn't a change in cash, and Microsoft's stock has apparently done well enough not too many people care that much.

In any case, wp10 has taken too long if you ask me, with limited information about new handsets etc. Even if windows 10 comes out in December, what's to say it won't be a mess and will take 6 months to fix? I'd hate to drop an upgrade on a new wp10 flagship and then it suck or be buggy, when I could get an iPhone honestly.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Specs of the upcoming windows 10 flagship phones have leaked (chinese site/grain of salt/etc):

Lumia 950

5.2" 2k Display
3gb RAM
Snapdragon 808
20 megapixels rear/5 megapixels front camera
32gb storage
Removable 3000 mAh battery
micro SD card slot

Lumia 950XL

5.7" 2k Display
Snapdragon 810
3300 mAh battery

Release expected in October or November. Both phones are expected to have metal bodies.

Source:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/406877,microsofts-first-windows-10-smartphones-leaked.aspx

This looks like a decent effort, although Having made the switch to the windows 10 dev preview on my 930 I've got to say I'm on the fence about a number of changes that have been made to the way the operating system works. I miss the simplicity of panoramas and big text.

That sounds pretty nice, especially the regular 950 since it has a big battery. Curious as to what the pricing is going to be, since off contract those are going to be quite expensive.

A $299 (zenfone 2) clone with windows 10 would be awesome. While the 830 was nice, it just felt too expensive for what you were getting.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Should have waited for this. Well if that flagship phablet WP is true I'll just get that I guess.

Got my 1520. Followed the instructions to enable the 1700 4g band for extra signal on T-Mobile (go to dialer, dial ##3282#, hit the 3 dots on the bottom, settings, change from automatic to manual, then go to bands 13/14 active and check the 1700 band.)

Tap Scroll issue exists. It's not too bad honestly, just annoying. Can't imagine the Snapdragon 810 will run the OS that much better, since the 800 doesn't feel all that much faster than the 920, except for the resuming screens.

Wish I had gotten a different color than Red. Glossy back makes it slippery and phone is drat huge.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

wait that's a thing you can do? what are the bands you have access to now?

There's a link on WP central that describes the "hack".

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/326565-how-t-lumia-1520-rm-940-t-mobile-wind-mobilicity-aws1700mhz-hspa-band-4-a.html

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

wormil posted:

Waze on my windows phone kicks rear end. Like yesterday my daughter and I were going to the dmv. In Waze I type DMV and the closest one pops up. My daughter uses Here, she types DMV and gets a list of random dmvs in random states across America. So she adds our city and state, same result. Finally go to Bing and find the closest dmv and use the directions link. I mean Here is not a bad app but I find it frustrating. Waze is just a superior app all around. Sorry to hear they were bought by Google.

Edit, we were driving separately.

I've been using CoPilot GPS recently and it blows here drive out of the water. It also has offline maps and gives alternate routes as well. Goes on sale for ~$5 every so often.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Jeez, stop being so unrealistic... They new Lumia 550 will be available in Q2016. The 900s series "soon" after.

The "affordable flagship" with poo poo specs for $400!!

Is sideloading android apps on Windows 10 going to actually be a thing or is just a proof of concept for the betas?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.326602300?icid=icid_us_catp_modg_phn_citytalk_100615lnch

Here are the frequencies. Not sure which T-Mobile specifically use but you can compare it with other T-Mobile devices to check. There'd be no point selling an unlocked version in the US though if it didn't work well with other GSM carriers.

GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)
TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 .

Tmobile requires:

LTE : Band 2, 4, 12
Hspa+(which I believe is the wcdma): 2, 4
3g: 4
2g: 2

Looks like it should be fully compatible!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

It also seems like a good use-case for third world countries where your smartphone is your only computing device, since a monitor, mouse, and keyboard are probably easier to come by than a desktop computer

Do you need a flagship device to use Continuum, though, or would any phone with USB-C work?

Yes, but what 3rd world country person would pay $500+ for a flagship phone? I could see continuum being useful if it was on a low end ~$100 dollar phone.

I can really only see this being useful for offices that have keyboard monitor setups that you could just plug your phone in and get to work. At the same time, if I'm stuck at the airport or something and need to do a quick edit, the continuum enabled phone doesn't help me but a laptop would.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

SHIIIIIT, looks like it's time for me to swing by a microsoft store!

Just stopped by my local MS Store. No 950 on display but they had the 950xl.

It is a drat nice feeling phone. Reminded me of the galaxy alpha somewhat. Still seems like the XL will work one handed, barely. Fast as hell with no real resuming screen BS that plagues my 1520.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

Yes, only problem is that hamburger menus, etc are still all the way on the left side, and the width of the screen doesn't shrink along with the height . So if you can't reach the left side of the phone anyway, it doesn't help too much.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Loaded the preview on my 640 as well and so far so good. Loving the fact that I can respond to text messages without opening up the messaging app.

Only annoying thing is that for the new universal apps (this is there on the awful app too), the menu button is on the top left. Would be nice if a swipe from the left would bring up the menu or there was a menu button somewhere easily reachable. Small complaint (especially with the one handed mode).

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

The control for making that menu (Split View) does not support the gesture. So if a developer wants to add that functionality to it, they have to roll their own solution. So your best bet is to yell at Microsoft and tell them to make it a supported gesture.

having said that, they never added pull to refresh controls and I ended up making my own anyway. So...

Interesting, after looking at the wp10 news app it makes sense.

Is it possible in the awful app to add a link/button to bookmarks and the main forums page in the three little dots menu in the bottom right?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I tried the 950 in the store. All the reviews are accurate- it's incredibly underwhelming. I don't know if it's the demo software layer that they put on in-store phones, but Windows 10 seems like a mess (I haven't tried any of the builds). Even the core apps greet you with a short ellipses when you load them. I've been on-board since the Focus, and I think I'm jumping ship now. Just an insulting lack of effort from Microsoft.

Same thoughts as well. $550 for a windows phone just seems like too much, especially after playing around with it. Think I'm going to jump ship to Android (looking at the Huawei ascend mate 2) and see if the WP situation improves in a year.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Big dumb idiot me went and bought an unlocked Lumia 950 from the Microsoft Store for Tmobile.

Screen is really nice
The plastic back creaks slightly and kind of feels cheap.
Battery seems OK, I'm draining about 20% in one hour with the screen on at 50% brightness. Seems low for a phone with a 3,000 mah battery. There was a phone update which seems to improved the phone battery while idiling.
The iris scanner is cool but not really useful (fails 30% of the time and no quicker than entering a PIN)
Camera is great
Performance seems good, but the phone gets warm. Edge browser makes this thing run hot.
No wifi calling
No visual voicemail (what the hell)
Settings app crashes 40% of the time
Quick charging is nice, but drat the USB type C is a pain in the rear end since its not yet really prevalent.

Nice phone, hard to justify the $450 premium over a 640. Poor battery life may make me want to return this thing. Especially when I can probably get an awesome phone (xperia z5 or even an iphone 6) for $550.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I just got a 950 and the software is unforgivably buggy. I've been trying to associate my Microsoft account with this thing for hours, but most of the buttons on the Accounts and Settings screen either don't register, or the entire Settings app just loads a blank screen. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

Edit: in the You Email and Accounts page (again, when it chooses to load), I have three options.

1) "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead." This option for some reason prompts me to search for an app in the store, when I click Yes, it brings me to a blank page that is *maybe* the new store? Except the only things on the page are a hamburger menu, the word home, and a search button

2) Add an account". This button does nothing

3) "Add a work or school account". This button does nothing.

This is utterly pathetic.

edit2: Also hitting the back button from that screen gives me 30 seconds of "Resuming...". How on earth was this RTM?

Skip all that stuff if possible and right away go to the system update (to get xxxxx.29). If there's no update, do a factory reset from the about screen and do the update ASAP. Seemed to have fixed a lot of problems for me (for some reason if you don't do a factory reset you may not get the update).

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Went and returned my Lumia 950 today at the Microsoft Store. Employee at the store said they had a bunch of 950/950XL's come back because of terrible battery life, random reboots, or running way too hot.

Almost walked out with a 640XL for $249 but instead bought an Android (Huawei Ascend Mate 2) for $200. Has almost the exact same specs (Snapdragon 400, 720p 6.1" screen, 13 MP camera), basically your average midrange smartphone/phablet. After an update to Android 5.1, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. The phone is pretty quick and it doesn't seem as slow as I was expecting and is a bit faster than my now broken 640. I have to get used to what sort of apps I need to replace the cool windows phone things (cortana reading texts over bluetooth), but I've downloaded Outlook, Onedrive, Office, Groove... hell Microsoft even has a start screen replacement called Arrow Launcher for android. The complaint is that Android slows down after a while, guess I'll see how that works.

I'll probably pick up a 950/950xl once Windows 10 is fleshed out and all the bugs are worked out of the system.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Now they are going to spend the next 6 months optimizing the base OS so that's it's as stable and pleasurable as...WP7 was?

Which is insane because windows phone 7 came out 5 years ago.

Regardless, can't imagine Microsoft will ever pull out of the mobile market. A 1% marketshare globally is still what, 5 million users?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Has the battery life on the 950xl settled down to something usable? I tried the 950 but had to return it after 2 days due to massive battery drain regardless of how many restarts or tricks I tried.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

How well does the 1520 run the insider builds? That was always a pretty well done device I thought.

1520 runs it pretty well, however the latest w10 build disabled the glance screen options and touch sensitivity options. My touch screen started acting up badly so I replaced it with a slightly used 950xl, which is definitely snappier, but not too much. The 1520 definitely feels more premium.

So far, loving the phone though. Battery life is good, but idle drain is a little on the high side. Are the 950s worth 500+? No, get an iPhone or galaxy s7. The 950xl would be a solid $299 or $350 phone honestly.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I think it's called Microsoft Hub Keyboard. Still in preview however.

Still waiting for MS to come out with a Windows phone launcher.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Am I crazy for wanting to get the new Alcatel 4s windows on Tmobile? Or is WP still the same as it was 9 months ago?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I almost bought a Moto g5 plus as well but shelled out the extra $100 to get a Z Play. Motorolla seems to have near stock Android that runs smoothly and their phones (except the super high end) have really good battery life.

The new Microsoft launcher (formerly arrow launcher) is really nice for Android. Wish it had live tiles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is anyone still using their windows phone. I just busted the poo poo out of my current phone and I miss my old Nokia experience. I see that I can get an unboxed HtC M8 One for like $100.

I use my phone for browsing, Netflix, podcasts and audiobooks so it's not like I need a cutting edge phone.

I tried my old 1520 (which I "upgraded" to windows 10 mobile) - ran like garbage unfortunately. For $100 bucks you would be better off getting a Moto x4 Android or something. Windows 8 may be better, but not sure.