Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Martytoof posted:

I've been using my 625 for like a few weeks or a month now and I still can't get used to WP keyboard. There's just something about it that make me literally typo every word. I'm not sure whether the iPhone keyboard was any BETTER but maybe the error detection was more advanced? Can't really put my finger on why I'm so bad at this...

... much like I can't really put my finger on the keys I want :(

If you're on WP8 and not using the swype style then the best advice I ever got was from Microsoft: "Don't pay attention to what you're typing. Try just stabbing in the general area and let the predictive figure it out." This has worked wonders for me. Just go real fast and stab in the general area of the key. The second I start trying to pay attention to what I'm doing, typing becomes an instant headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PlaneGuy posted:

That's what I do, but "share to Facebook" just opens the app. I hope this isn't a sign of sharing services to come.

that's odd. You on 8 or 8.1? I'm on 8 and "share to Facebook" just uploads it right then and there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Their cross platform smart watch?

http://gizmodo.com/there-might-be-a-microsoft-smartwatch-in-october-1597694963

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got my 630 in from Cricket and while it's an awesome little budget phone, it puts off some serious heat on the back panel. That normal?

edit: Actually it's probably just from all the syncing and stuff. Regardless, for virtually free, this is a decent drat phone!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 25, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just realized the 630 doesn't have any led for a flash/flashlight... What the gently caress?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

Budget phone. Doesn't have an ambient light sensor for auto brightness either.

My 620 was more budget than the 630 and had both.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

You got ripped off on you 630 or got the 620 for a great price, the suggested retail price for the 630 is a solid third less than the for the 620.

Got them both for $50. Just kinda figured the 630 would be a step up from the 620.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 29, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On my 630, whenever I try to access the internet, on EVERY PAGE it will load to about 95% (with a blank screen sitting there) and then sit for about 20 seconds, the load fine. No matter how strong my connection. I've tried on Wifi AND Cellular Data.

Also whenever I come out of lock screen, it sits there for 4 to 5 seconds on "resuming..." before showing my start screen. Pretty unacceptable. It does it after restart too with zero apps running. Might just have to return this sucker.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

soapgish posted:

This occurred after installing Live Lock Screen Beta then uninstalling. On the off chance you did, change the lock screen pic to Bing then change to anything else, and that will solve.

That was exactly it! Thanks! Now if I can figure out while everything that requires internet delays its load for like 3 seconds. The facebook app is especially egregious... It rarely loads anything!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah he meant 7.5.

As for my internet connection woes, I've discovered they actually go away when I switch to cellular data for the most part. I think I may have mentioned to the contrary earlier.

So it seems there is something on my wireless router that is really stalling/throttling mobile connections. It just seems to have started in the past two weeks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok so after my Kindle, Windows Phone, and the mother in law's iPhone ALL having WiFi problems as I mentioned earlier I decided to test some router settings. It appears changing my Netgear router from B/G/N to JUST G/N has fixed the WiFi delay issue I was having.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After a couple of weeks with 8.1 gotta say that Cortana is seriously useful and the speech recognition is scary good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Whenever I connect my phone to something via Bluetooth, the volume rocker will ONLY ever operate for that Bluetooth connection from there on out. Even after disconnecting the device and straight up turning Bluetooth OFF on the phone. Want to adjust the ringer or call volume? Nope, it will only adjust a non-existent Bluetooth connection. Trying to watch a Netflix video and want to turn the volume up? Nope. Still trying to adjust a Bluetooth connection.

Anyone else run into this bug?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm thinking of changing over the thread page icons to use the newer, non GIF ones from Awful.app. Do you guys like it more? Or do you want me to leave it.

I don't have a say on the thread icons but pleaseeee put some padding around the unread posts number. It's driving me nuts from a design standpoint!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drastic Actions posted:

That's because it's using the forums actual thread icons. If you don't see them, it did not download them. These you should always see, since they are in the app. I'm up for playing around with the layout (and it should be easy enough for anyone to do, since I have sample data in the XAML so anyone can play with it :v:. Right now I'm just happy it works as is.

Better? Or should it be equal with the thread icon. Or did you mean the number in the box.

I think it should be equal with the thread icon... and now that you mention it I'd do the number as well!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah great job. It's easily my number 1 used app every day.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LentThem posted:

And as you tap each one, you'll get a nice long "Resuming..." screen as a reminder that a world exists outside of your phone and that you should spend time in that world while you wait

Do you or have you in the past used the lock screen beta?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Isn't OK Google, the Android Cortana?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LentThem posted:

I find it frustrating that my Symbian phone that I 'upgraded' from to a Lumia has more built-in functionality, stability, battery life, and a better mic than my new phone. I'd declare it to be the better phone if any of the apps had been updated since 2012.

I still use it as my alarm clock with Sleeping Screen, because gently caress trusting a Lumia when they have a history of doing any of the following:
-Battery draining overnight by itself
-Phone freezing overnight by itself
-Alarm not firing for some reason
-Alarm firing silently for some reason

Yes, my new phone looks great and stands out as being very unique in this city where almost nobody has one, but god drat it's all the little things....

Yowza, my Lumias have never done any of that :(.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So..uh... Spotify for Windows Phone. I have Premium, but it appears there is NO WAY in the app to put it out of "shuffle" mode. So every album or playlist HAS to shuffle... what am I missing? Please god tell me I'm missing something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is the random icon highlighted? I think it can shuffle using that or the green Spotify shuffle button. I had noticed I was shuffling and checked and that was highlighted even though I never actually selected it.

The Windows app is really odd in that it takes way too many steps to get the play screen with all of the forward/back/play/pause buttons and album art. And even after I get there it likes to randomly go back to the playlists page when I try to advance the song, but not my playlists page - which I might enjoy. No, it's the theme playlists that other people created. Kind of weird since Spotify is the same in iOS and Android - but for WP they decided to make the interface wacky.

There is no random icon in my app at all. If I go to a playlist, I'm presented with a sort of collage screen at the top with a play button on it (that shuffles when played) and a green "shuffle" button underneath it as well. If there's a way to turn shuffle on and off I ain't seein' it. :9

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

There is no random icon in my app at all. If I go to a playlist, I'm presented with a sort of collage screen at the top with a play button on it (that shuffles when played) and a green "shuffle" button underneath it as well. If there's a way to turn shuffle on and off I ain't seein' it. :9

Figured it out. Go into a playlist or album, start playing a song, then click the "now playing" banner at the bottom of the screen then THAT has a random/no-random button. Stupidly buried.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could it be that MS Mobile is holding off on a new flagship because W(P) 910 is going to be another 'reboot' of the OS, with no upgrade path for handsets running 8.x?

(this lame strikethrough joke brought to you by Awful for WP and its handy bbcode insertion tool. The only app on my POS phone that works as expected.)

Even so, the 1080 going for ~$300 now would be something I might consider, if only the app outlook was better. I place the camera high on my smartphone priority list, but I need better apps than what's currently out there to make it worthwhile. The Instagram app, for instance; it can't even do a simple 2-image collage.

If they did yet another "no upgrade path" OS reboot, I'll drop Windows Phone. They did it once and I give them the benefit of the doubt, but doing it again would just be the deathblow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Where can you get an Icon for $300 unlocked??

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

loquacius posted:

I checked again and it looks like that search result was actually for a 920 and I just can't read. Whoops. Revise my previous post to "it costs $465 unlocked :geno:"

Ha yeah I was about to jump right on an Icon for $300 unlocked.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's a cool idea, but it still falters with the same poo poo as other non-system lockscreens. Takes a bit to unlock and it clearly takes a screenshot of the screen you were on so when you "resume"...it goes to a lovely artifacted screenshot for a second or two then to the actual screen. Weird.

Nice idea though...love the "pacing" calendar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Funkface posted:

On a different note: Has anyone noticed a subtle fading in and out of music on their Lumia 1520? I've disabled all Dolby fuckery, and have v decent headphones, but still hear a weird muffle/volume modulation at times. No pattern noticed as of yet, and it seems to happen in both youtube and xbone music. Am I nuts? What could this be? Recent hits on my playlist include Machine Head's latest though also noticed on Jon Hopkins.

My 630 (which I've now decided is a lovely phone and should only be used as a backup/burner) does this. Especially when streaming Spotify over bluetooth.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can you not get Cortana to give you directions? I kept trying to get directions from her today and it was just loving web searching the address I put in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Psyker posted:

I bought one of the Lumia 635's on Black Friday because I've been super curious about the Windows Phone OS and such for a -long- time now. I currently have an iPhone 5S. After dicking around with it for the past two days...

...Why isn't Windows Phone more popular? The OS is fun, streamlined, and flashy. I can customize my home screen pretty well. Live tiles are really cool. Hell, even on a $40 phone the OS is really responsive. Cortana is a dream.

Where's the breakdown? I'm seriously considering dumping my iPhone on my next re-up because WP's are much more affordable and seem to be feature rich. I understand there's some poo poo app support, but I can work around that comfortably. I just feel even on a lower end phone for someone that doesn't use their phone for games that the 635 feels really not a lot different than an iPhone.

Of course, my real problem is apparently Verizon having poo poo support for WP and AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile are garbage where I live.

Microsoft couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst. Sooo...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

You didn't actually make a point her.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I got a galaxy 4 tab recently as my first foray into android and goddddddamnnnn is it terrible. I know its samsungs interface most likely but its ugly, unintuitive and laggy and slow as poo poo. I mean how do you release a product that is laggy out of the box!?

I'm still probably gonna jump ship at some point but it went a long way to making me appreciate how nice Windows Phone can be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

You bought a lovely budget tablet from one of the few remaining OEMs that still lathers everything up in a slow, bad skin. That's like buying a Lumia 520 and complaining that Windows Phone cameras are bad.

Not really. I'd expect the camera on a 520 to be bad but I'd expect the core experience to work well enough. Same way I'd expect the camera on the galaxy tab to suck but would expect at the least the core experience to be serviceable. But its just all lovely!

Also it was $100 so I couldn't resist.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong to expect better than you got. I was trying to say that you shouldn't assume the problem was Android, just like you shouldn't assume all WP cameras are bad after using a 520. You just bought a lovely tablet (or, analogously, a lovely camera in the 520). That shouldn't deter you from considering other better options (like a flagship Android or 1020 camera!).

Right I mentioned it was Samsung in my original post. I was just reiterating that, regardless of it being Samsung, it makes me appreciate his nice the WP OS is. And how i can get a silky smooth experience even on my $50 budget phone.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For those who are sticking with WP that could easily leave, what's keeping you there? I'm actually asking, not being a dick.

I just love the way the OS flows to be honest. Shortcomings aside, it's just a goddamned nice user experience that really seems to peel away some of the over complicatedness that can plague smartphones.

I'm eagerly awaiting a trial of Lollipop though. I like what I see there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Denim rollout list is on the link below for Europe. If you go up a level you should be able to get the rest of the world as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

That says my 620 on Cricket should have Amber, but it certainly came with Cyan.

edit: Ooops I have a 635. Goddamn I hate these naming schemes.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My brother has a M8 windows phone (brand new) and is having an issue. With any extra app that didn't come with the phone he gets an error trying to use it. First if he actually tries to use the app (which has been downloaded and installed) it just goes to the app download page with an "update app" button on it. If he clicks update it says theres a problem with his Microsoft Account and to click next to fix it. Clicking next goes to the Microsoft Account page where he logs in and... Nothing. It logs in fine but going back to the app just becomes rinse repeat.

Any ideas?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

:thejoke:

Everything about the Zune was high quality well engineered stuff by the end. Easily the best take on a music platform Microsoft has ever had, or ever will at the current rate.

Yeah both the hardware and software were top notch... So naturally Microsoft had to abandon it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

repeating posted:

How old is he? Child MS accounts have to have approval for apps. Is there an error number?

He's in his 30s but I think I figured it out. He had a 920, but he just switched over to his own AT&T account instead of our shared family plan when he got the M8. When I log in on a computer to his associated Microsoft Account, it's just showing his old phone. I'm thinking his Microsoft Account isn't associated with his current M8 phone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

repeating posted:

Even if he created a new account it would work. Just check what's listed for "Microsoft account" in Settings>Email + Accounts.

It's his Microsoft Account that says "attention required"... Tapping it requests a login which leads nowhere as logging in leads nowhere. Rinse repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is the Moto G LTE still the best budget Android phone? My wife is tiring of not having the same apps as her friends on her Windows Phone so I'm looking to switch her over.

Is there a better budget phone that will have Lollipop?