Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Which Wargame installment would be the best if I was looking to play single player? AirLand Battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

There is a good goonmade LP about it. It is linked on the OP. Check it out and see if you like it.

Requires archives, but I have seen LPs of European Escalation and I think I'd like it. At this point should a person just stick with the latest installment or is there a reason to buy the first two?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Elukka posted:

Forest combat was about using infantry as spotters for flame tanks. All HEAT warheads had mad AP; a Konkurs was basically a Hellfire and all RPGs were AP 20-22 by current numbers.

Hell's Highway had a side road most people never noted and you could just drive down an infantry squad right into the enemy base.

Tigga was #1 ranked forever and there were probably less than 10 really competent players at a time ever. I made actual real by money losing in a single elimination tournament three times.

Also the game looked like this:

Oh, EE. :allears:

I'm playing EE for the first time and it is wonderful. It's what I hoped World in Conflict was going to be.

Runs great on a 6 year old PC, too.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I like World in Conflict too, but multiplayer tended to get a little hectic for me. The campaign was great, though.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Am I wrong to assume that EE is more of a sim while Red Dragon is more arcadey for the sake of gameplay?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
The last two posts are more what I meant. Bad choice of words on my part.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I am terrible, but maybe we could. I don't have any microphone or anything, though.

E: This Ramstein mission is some primo bullshit.

reagan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 15, 2014

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, is this what several of you guys were talking about? I've had a few tough missions before this in the first Soviet campaign, but this is above and beyond. I understand that anti-tank missiles should destroy tanks in real life, but for the sake of game balance it just seems like a bad decision to have missiles that one shot most tanks consistently.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

Against humans you can use smoke, misdirection, and concealment as well as either shelling the ATGMs or bypassing the area completely. No idea if this works in the campaign though.

Smoke in EE?

But yes, most of the problems I am having arise from the fact I'm playing single player. I'll shut up if you guys want to keep the thread strictly Red Dragon. I'm just waiting for the next sale to pick it up.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, I guess I still have to stick to Wargame and World in Conflict. Those two and Men of War are the only RTS series I've actually enjoyed.

You don't enjoy Company of Heroes? Man...

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I finally bought Red Dragon on sale as well. Is there no way to play the Air Land Battle maps in Red Dragon?

Is there a way to do that, or is there some reason Eugen isn't porting the maps over?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Cream_Filling posted:

I had trouble handling WG:EE because there was just too much stuff happening at once and there was no pause button even in single player. Have any of these things been fixed? Because I'm having trouble imagining how I'm supposed to manage air + sea units on top of just driving my tanks around.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I like European Escalation the most. The campaign was decent (to a point), and the atmosphere was perfect.

My only complaint is that you need to unlock units with command stars. Pain in the rear end.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

poo poo, random dude came and made a Mod tool for campaign BG listings. Thats a loving gigantic help. Can finally do poo poo like get rid/change the Tor's and T80's in the Chinese campaign in like... 5 minutes. Used to take loving forever to search and find the proper stuff!

Do you have a link? I kind of wanted to play that campaign but when I heard about all of the ridiculous toys the Soviets had I said forget it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I wish there were more pre 1980 servers. I had a blast playing 4v4 pre 80. I'd kill for a 10v10 pre 80

I wish there was a 1970 toggle.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Shanakin posted:

Just be aware that the multiplayer focused balance patches for EE had a detrimental effect on the balance of the campaigns, although the last one is apparently still good. EE's campaigns remind me of classic RTS campaigns like age of empires etc where you start off with given units and a set piece battle and maybe have some interesting and unique objectives beyond just kill lots of stuff.

The campaign in ALB is more like a total war game style game where you move armies around and battle on the map but it's kind of small in scope and a little awkward. There's no real storyline or narative to it.

Red Dragon basically takes the ALB formula, and refines it, re-injects some narative and calls it a day.

I'f probably say EE had the best campaign, but the balance issues put it about par with Red Dragon. ALB having the least interesting campaign but it was still okay. One credit to ALB was it allowed for multiplayer adversarial campaigns.

I didn't play EE until this past August, but it was still a good experience. I regret purchasing ALB and RD, though. Online isn't my thing to begin with, and the community of these games is awful.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I just got an e-mail from Eugen, and I thought this comment at the end was a nice contrast to the NDA that Relic has for Company of Heroes 2.

quote:

Testers are at liberty to discuss the game publicly, take pictures or record/stream games, under the condition that such material must contain a mention stating that the content was tested/recorded on a non-final version.

Edit: wrong thread I guess

reagan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 14, 2015

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

European Escalation campaigns were pretty fun.
...At launch. The game's units were rebalanced to hell and back post release for multiplayer, but the SP campaigns were never edited to match. If I recall, some of the campaigns are nigh impossible now as a result.

Also they're much different than later games, being scripted missions vs. move units on a map and play skirmish-like battles.

Last summer I managed to make it all the way to the Warlord campaign before I lost interest. The campaigns are still playable if you use an extremely methodical play style, which I kind of enjoyed.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Worst part of RD is the palette that they have to use for the maps. I much prefer the assets used in EE and AB. Hopefully the next Wargame goes back to Europe.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Elukka posted:

I think it makes sense for them to at least take a break now. I like Red Dragon a lot, but there's not a whole bunch more they could do by expanding the same formula anymore. I hope whenever they're done with the Act of War thing they do a Wargame 2, a real ground up sequel rather than a standalone expansion, and go Cold War again. So many games are WW2 by default and I like the 80's period much better.

1945-1980 would be my ideal time period. I would say 1975, but 1980 would allow them to sneak in the first variants of NATO heavies like the M1, Leopard 2, and Challenger 1.

Improve the AI, make a dynamic campaign encompassing all of Europe, and I would fork over big bucks. And do not let obnoxious fanboys within the development team or elsewhere inflate the stats of their favorite Wunderwaffen.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Alchenar posted:

I'm not even kidding they should make it a MOBA. Use the maps and control zones and throw in a ton of AI units streaming in from the reinforce points and then give each player their own unit selection to add to the battle with.

Strategy is basically dead unless you have CA or Blizzard over the office door anyway.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Any plans to bring Uralgraznomod up to date?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Looking forward to it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

gfanikf posted:

Are people still playing the game online? I typically only do single player, but I've just gotten so addicted to Wargame ALB after finally playing it after an old steam sale, but I think it has Iike 70 people playing it online. I also figure that RD has a lot more improvement as ALB did over EE. Just wanted to know if the game is at the end of its life cycle? I'll probably just play single, but if goons are playing mp I might give that a try too.

I still play skirmish quite often.

With Custard on the Uralgraznomod team, is there any way I can make a skin request? His work is great, and I really like the Russian T-72 skin he made for the previous release. Specifically, I was wondering if he could transfer his Kfpz T-72 skin to the Kfpz T-72M and M1. Something like this.

Just add the black mudflaps. I'd do it myself, but I don't have photoshop.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Their continued support of Red Dragon gives me hope for Wargame 4.

Any news on Uralgraznomod?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

MrYenko posted:

When I first played EE, the very first tutorial map, all I could think about was that if Eugen ever released a full set of modding tools, Steel Panthers might finally be obsoleted. The bones are there to make an absolutely awe-inspiring company to maybe battalion sized war game, but Eugen hasn't released tools, and can't seem to actually grasp what they have.

The lack of modding tools is a loving travesty.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Hazamuth posted:

Had a few Cat C only matches with friends and it was the most fun I've had with the game in a while. The combination of new maps and no prototypes made for actually quite engaging matches. Then I realized that it was pretty much the ALB experience.

Yup, that era is my favorite as well. Less sniping, less BS.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I only play era specific skirmishes against PC opponents. It's a lot of fun, especially with Uralgraznomod.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So I'm curious

1) Is this game still played frequently online? Curious but dont want to get stomped for hours on end, which I fear might happen if I try to compete with this games veteran community
2) Is the single player satisfying? I'm coming from the world of Total War games. I own EE but find the single player to be weirdly rigid and somehow unsatisfying to play.
3) Is it worth $45?

If you are the kind of person who spent their childhood reading Jane's books and checked Soviet Military Power out from the library countless times, this game is worth $45. I primarily play single player skirmish, but I prefer the EE single player. The single player in the last two establishments have been disappointing in my opinion.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
My Wargame themed music playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAHOhuachk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynTsskKL8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RodrZ2we_hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K0sW8GX-4

reagan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 22, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

My childhood was a transition from green army men to military micro machines to a literal library of cold war history/equipment catalogs to Tom Clancy games...

Sounds familiar.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Both go without saying.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

OctaMurk posted:

2) I think so, especially if you downloaded Dandywalken's Revised Campaign Mod. It's worth a run through anyways but it's primarily a multiplayer game.

Anyone got a link?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

poo poo, I didn't realize that was him.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Following up on the sequel discussion, I would like to see a return to the 1960s/70s/early 80s, along with a dynamic campaign encompassing all of Europe. They don't even have to get super fancy, just expand the ALB campaign to include the entire continent. That, and force planes to target an enemy's last known location if they lose sight en route.

I'd be really disappointed if the sequel was restricted to the Middle East. They can tack that onto an expansion.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Xerxes17 posted:

Deserts only Wargame makes me thing of every map being Hop to Glory and I shudder in pain.

At the moment I'd say that the current issues of Wargame rests with the rather hosed up scale that currently exists. You have recon sniper teams all the way up to theater-level assets like Patriot that are also tacked on to strategic naval poo poo like Battle-cruisers.

I'd agree with those saying that EE was the most "congruent" experience. ALB was a good step forward, albeit with some issues that could have been solved with some more tweaking and more level-headed engineering on Eugen's part. RD however felt like it was straining under it's own weight from the beginning and from a game concepts point of view, it really did collapse in on itself as a result of having simply too much poo poo.

I would personally enjoy a rewind back to 1983 to 1985 or so. It's the fulcrum point where thing feel the most fair between the nations involved and that everything is thus the most interesting.

Also, no unicorn units. They seem to always make themselves into a balancing/thematic headache.

Yes this.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Latest patch broke Uralmod again.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Sounds like Ural mod is dead? A shame.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I voted for Finland, but yeah I'd be fine with Yugoslavia. REDFOR needs to be padded out somehow. Could always include all of the smaller Warsaw Pact nations, but I imagine the voice acting is the most expensive part of these packs.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Looking forward to the next uralmod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Uralmod dead? I've been trying to play lately and this vanilla poo poo is unbearable.

• Locked thread