Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I think I'm about done with that thread. I really hope all these loving Cold War my-country-isn't-good-enough spergs stick with Wargame and don't pollute the process for Eugens next game.

Maybe that's why they decided to stop Wargame for a bit and go back to Act of War. Good luck milsperging out about a futuristic C&C like RTS with stealth tanks and power armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So then I'm wondering what new tanks they'll actually give Scandinavia.

I'm assuming Denmark and Norway will just get upgraded Leopards, but if Sweden only gets a single new Centurion then they'll be pretty hopeless tank wise.

Maybe the cut Leo 1A6 for Germany can get somehow justified for Scandinavia?

On a related note, the devs have posted a couple topics on the official forum detailing which units were just barely cut for each faction. Only W Ger and France so far, but still interesting.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Scandinavia not getting any high-end tanks kinda stinks. I hope they'll be getting lots of different ATGM platforms, or they'll have problems fighting any kind of heavy armor.

It'd be fun(ny) if they did add the Strv 2000 though. They added the Chimera, so why not? :v:

I started appreciating Canada's armour a lot more when I realised that not only do they have a cheap-ish Strv103/Challenger hybrid, but it doesn't even take up a tank slot :getin:

Personally, I wish they had treated the Chimera as a rule instead of an exception and added in even more wacky but sorta believable prototypes.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Part of me really wishes this game was more easily moddable with regards to adding new stuff like models, rather than just editing values. Four campaigns just ain't enough, and how drat cool would it be if folks could just mod in all those fun units that got cut from RD.

However, another part of me believes that the idiots on the official forums would instead spend all their time arguing over whether tank A should get another half point of AP because of quality control practices changing at Bob's Tank Factory in June of 1987, instead of making fun new stuff...

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 26, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Plus, isn't it almost impossible to counter-battery Monitors since splash doesn't really exist in water so you'd need a direct hit?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Guess people finally got that "oh poo poo SEAD is coming turn off all AA" button folks wanted. Sort of...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

What do they mean by that? Because I know for a fact pre-patch ship guns would wildly miss when they rolled a miss and hit if they rolled a hit. They behaved just like any other direct fire gun. Except for looking really dumb, because they roll for each barrel individually so you'd get a dual barrel cannon firing a salvo of 3x2 shots and you'd get the misses exiting the barrel at almost 45 degrees from where they were pointing. Or one barrel shooting straight and one barrel firing wildly to the side.

Yeah, it was especially silly when ships would be almost right next to each other and would fire half their shots way to the side of the enemy boat like the gunner was drunk or something.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Got bored, made an all Gavin deck:

XpAxg4j60BIHkqRPJUimPIwwcR9lekbedI5jyMI4I9QPowgfRgYuVnKltG2jbX1pa03STJW0raTgoIkdKSpHWlDMVr64ykjSRhZLswiUVLdpuzndCsA=

Anything particular I'm missing that also comes in an M113?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I opened the game and caught this perfect wild-type specimen

I've always wondered who was the guy working on character sets that said "No no no, we can't ship this yet. There's no way to type a swastika!"

Or why you wouldn't disable it as a developer when your last two games were full of people spamming Nazi poo poo in chat :eugen:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jet Age posted:

The Igla-N change is a nerf right, what were the stats before?

More range and accuracy before, but 6 HE is pretty big.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Magni posted:

How the gently caress? :doh:

So shooting silenced guns made you more invisible? :psyduck:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

My major gripe with assault squad 2 is that it's the exact same game Assault squad 1 was. They made like 3 UI changes. This isnt a big deal for its MP I guess but that series has always had really fun SP, and I expected a little bit more effort then that.

Is the hilariously bad VO still there with US troops yelling "Enemy is in the reach zone. For Uncle Sam!" ?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Aw man, the ZTZ-85 III needed those two cards. It's a drat good tank, but 5 M1A1 equivalents just don't cut it when the US can get like 24.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man, I've got to stop reading the official forums. What a bunch of fun vampires. Seriously, they'd throw all choice in the game away in the name of "authenticity".

Specifically their drive to cut old units from the game because their poor little unsupported M1A1 died to a dozen T34s because their cold war wank fantasy demands only heavy tanks slugging it out with each other.

How bad are they? A T34 spam is stopped by a single cluster bomber.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone still play this dumb game?

Personally I've been playing more Skirmish than multiplayer because goddamn is setting up gimmick deck fights fun.

4v4 of nothing but M48s on one side and T55s on the other. Or like Cat C fights without waiting ages for pubbies to fill up slots.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

One other important thing is any bote marked as "Riverine" cannot be targeted by ASMs.

And Hellfires actually do decent damage to larger boats. A roving swarm of STRBs is actually a serious threat to larger ships, especially on maps with islands you can scoot around for cover. They're just drat fast and probably way too hard to kill for their cost. But drat do I love those things.

Especially on Naval only maps. They're golden for flanking around the main blob and attacking command ships holding zones.

On the same subject of river botes, a lot of people miss the Zippo. Even without using the flame throwers, it's a durable platform with a good 40mm cannon, and also a pair of 20mm despite not having any listed on the unit card. They can be surprisingly useful against infantry and IFVs when advancing up a river.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 24, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mortabis posted:

:negative: NOOOOooooo my T-34s :qq:

I guess that's their solution to the cheap tank spam problem.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Did they ever give a rough estimate of the DLC date? Are we talking this month? Or like just some point in the summer still?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm curious how the tank selection for the Scandinavians will work out in their DLC. Judging by what I've been reading on the forums, both the Strv 122 and barely past the drawing board Strv 2000 are out.

So wouldn't that leave them as literally the only coalition without a heavy tank? I mean some new Leo 1s are cool and stuff, but not having any decent damage sinks could be pretty tough.

Unless Eugen overhauls it all again with the accompanying patch for that DLC...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

It's been rumored that Denmark is getting some Italian 76mm SPAAG which will be the only SPAAG with more than 1 HE. It's never been in use by Denmark, so don't ask me why they're getting it but not a Strv 121/122. :shrug:

They've been pushing the line that the only reason anyone else got the Leo 2 was because the wall fell.

Which doesn't explain why they couldn't get the wacky Strv 2000 which could have been produced if the wall didn't fall. Although I've always been of the mind even things like the Chimera should be more common if it means better gameplay and balance.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think even Medium AIs get a decent income boost, at least it seems so in Conquest.

And they spam like crazy. Bring tons of cluster bombers if you're facing the AI.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

6 HE iglas are a lot better than 4HE. Akula maybe slightly better in A2A combat?

Also does "interceptors" mean CIWS? If so, a 2 second aiming time is going to make ASHMs a lot harder to shoot down, particularly lone ships and ships at the outside of a blob. And the angle of fire change means they won't be able to shoot down missiles passing over/near the ship? That change could really shake up naval play.

I think it refers to the MIG 31/Tomcat.

Increasing the aim time and decreasing the fire angle removes the ability to do the ol' orbits of doom where you just have them loiter in a circle lobbing missiles at things from out of range.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

There's a really weird phobia/hatred of them that has persisted since ALB.

I think it started back in the early days if ALB when a pair of them could lock down the map for air, plane and helicopter.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, the AI gets some serious income boosts, even on lower difficulties I think. I can't play Conquest against the AI because I always get overwhelmed by waaay more units than they should have early in the game.

Or maybe I just suck. Also possible :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Koramei posted:

I burn through my TOW vehicles like crazy. :colbert: I don't use the tanks in that tab though, you're right, but what kind of thing should I replace them with?

Either the I-TOW version or the TOW2 jeep. The regular TOW is too weak to do what you need it to do: dent heavy tanks your K1s can't handle on their own.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

See to me what would make sense is something simple like having more units in a group = better morale for the group (because you can see your buddies or some command bonus thing or something), with the trade off being the more units in a group the easier they can be spotted (because it's a lot harder to hide fourty dudes than ten).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

reagan posted:

Requires archives, but I have seen LPs of European Escalation and I think I'd like it. At this point should a person just stick with the latest installment or is there a reason to buy the first two?

EE is the only one with scripted story campaigns, but from what I recall they're basically unplayable now because they never edited them after all the balance patches leading to impossible matchups.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=47907#p655196

Earlier launch of the Korean War campaign and 12 new units for non - Scandinavian nations. Hell yes.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd put money on the SK one being the K9 Thunder or something close to that. Blue Dragon needs a modern Arty piece.

At a loss for what the Canada or Aussie ones could be. Not that there isn't a bunch they both need, but there's not much historically to add.

..Unless we get the Chimera Mk.2 :getin:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm kind of hoping they do give Canada Leo 2s, because that could mean the Scandinavians could be getting them also.

Because otherwise they'll be literally the only coalition without a heavy tank :(

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

From the forums:

"MadMat" posted:

New unit types are:
- 1 infantry squad.
- 2 planes.
- 2 IFV.
- 1 APC.
- 1 SPAAG.
- 1 SP-Mortar.
- 1 Heavy SAM.
- 1 Light SAM.
- 1 TD.
- 1 SPG.

Models are:
- 1 is a copycat.
- 3 are variants.
- 8 are new models (including the infantry).

Only 2 are unfielded prototypes, although several others will be classified as such due to their service date.

... and 1 is a super-hero ...

Today's unit was apparently the K9 Thunder for SK, so that's the SPG down.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They've said the US one is a non-prototype, and is one of the ones they listed in that thread of dropped US units.

Given that the PIP effectively takes the Patriot's role, I'd guess the Roland truck maybe? I'd say maybe the LOSAT, but that would have to be a proto wouldn't it? Seeing as it never actually hit service.

The US could use a midranged, wheeled, radar SAM.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

REDFOR's gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad as hell.

Oh man.

It's the Patriot isn't it? Prepare for months of "Why no S300 :qq: "

That's the only thing I could think of that would piss off RedFor fans.

Well that or the Jav...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It could also help if the Patriot absolutely guzzled supplies, ATACMS style.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Canadian Recce ones are pretty good at slowly plinking at supply trucks, unguarded AA, Artillery, etc... If you can get them in a good position.

That 1AP is pretty handy.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MonkeyLibFront posted:

That's just for the Campaign DLC right, not the Scandinavian DLC? because that would be atrocious.

Nah, in ALB they had a similar patch where every country got a new unit.

Canada got the Chimera, Denmark got a new tank, other nations got things like useful planes or a new SPAAG.

Norway got a reserve infantry unit with turn of the (20th) century bolt action rifles :v

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Figured something like that. They'd be the only coalition without a heavy tank otherwise, and that'd be hella stupid.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mortabis posted:

What was the reason for that again, no conformal fuel tanks?

Seriously loving dumb. As if anyone looks that closely at the units anyway.

The official forums is full of posts about "This model is slightly wrong and is seriously impacting my enjoyment of the game and also it's an insult to the citizens of <x> nation and it must be fixed now" posts. Boggles my mind.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone tried the new campaign yet? How's the difficulty? Heard it was supposed the be pretty punishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Has anything ever been said about multiplayer campaigns?

They're totally out for RD.

• Locked thread