Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

i use nova launcher on my nexus 4 because it provides something similar to the stock experience of android kitkat or w/e without having icons so huge i can only fit like three of them on the screen

Yeah kind of defeats the purpose of having an uncomfortably large screen if each icon takes up like an eighth of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just got a new android. excited to download some malware from the Play Store

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just got pushed the new google calendar ui. I think it actually might be functionally better but it looks like a plaything for a childe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

99% sure it'll end up being better than using my 4-year-old nexus 4 which had some amount of corrupted blocks in the flash so i would need to reflash the rom every couple of weeks when everything started crashing too much to use, and which didn't have any of the bands t-mobile needed for good coverage

android.txt

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sometimes when I select a word in a pdf while in desktop chome's pdf reader, it puts the little android text selection brackets on either side for a half-second :tinfoil:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

The windows versions of Google's apps (chrome, PDF reader, docs, etc) actually are just wrappers for a chromeos vm that runs the desired app within it

oh my god

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
in order to preserve it's faragher/ellerth affirmative defense against a sex harassment case, google had to take prompt and effective remedial action to correct harassing behaviour. :science:

Firing the dude was a good way to do it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
seems like every time i use google maps the interface gets worse and more obtuse. it's pretty impressive

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ain't strokin
google's just broken

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plz rename this or the android thread to "Blaming Samsung!" tyia

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

infernal machines posted:

their customers are advertisers, their products really only need to be able to help convert views into engagement, if they could find a way to do this by strapping you to a chair and jamming a needle into your brain, that would be a product

Maps needs access to:

Device & App History
Eyeball Needle

[Accept]

*shrugs* better than apple maps, i guess

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 25, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a something awful with good posts

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Celexi posted:

So after android split the payment part of Google wallet into its separate app android pay, they have now decided to put it back together again and rename it "google pay".
But you apparently still need both apps installed for it to launch, if you launch the standalone ones it tells you to open google pay instead.

lmebo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ars discussing the new look of android p: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/hands-on-with-android-p-is-this-the-beginning-of-a-new-design-language/

quote:

The main motif we can pick out of this new design is "white and round."

google's making the os resemble its users

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
make a phone os called talkos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FMguru posted:

johnny fireball with an actual good point

wouldn't you not want to be associated with android?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/26/17157444/acer-chromebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced

chomeos tablet

chablet

tome

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you wouldn't download an api

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
goog thread gettin spicy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
shitposting is prior art

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
can't wait to get owned in court because my s.o. was able to subpoena all of the nest recordings in which I'm chatting up the hunnies

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
something got hosed up when I uploaded all of my music to google play so all my album art is a picture of e40

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
great cliPs is good (you might even say great) because you can check in online and they have your haircut preferences stored on a server somewhere :yaycloud:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

your beret

:whitewater:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oh ok I was just picturing a big, floppy raspberry beret. the kind that you find in a second-hand store

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so now, instead of running Google drive on your computer to sync with your Google drive, you'll run drive file stream to sync with your Google one

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they changed the google news interface and now it's really bad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I mixed up oreo and lolipop for a second and thought "hey that isnt awful" but then I remembered :rip:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
isg+

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poor honeycomb :rip:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
goog did something good!

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/01/google-quits-selling-tablets/

Google  has quietly crept out of the tablet business, removing the “tablets” heading from its Android page

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just used google meet or whatever the new group messaging thing for business is

not good

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
webp exists because some hotshot middle manager wanted a promotion and had to come up with a new product fast

passes the toothbrush test if every chrome user is forced to use it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"According to the New York Times, when Page looks at a potential company to acquire, he wants to know if the product is, like a toothbrush, 'something you will use once or twice a day.'"

*tbf it looka like a part of the test is asking "does this make your life better?" but goog doesn't seem to care about that part so much

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the new turtle does look pretty dope

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
chome is eating all of my processor megahurtz on my lovely work computer

taking like fifteen seconds to load a simple webpage

scroogled again

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my work uses windows 7 :rip:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ok how about this:

"you know why safari's icon is a compass? it's cause you'll need one to navigate the confusing ui!"

"you know why they call it safari? because it enables exploitative conspicuous consumption for rich white people"

"nice browser. Where'd you download it from - the toilet store?"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

well it would normally be closed when in your pocket/purse and won't have much travel. since android doesn't have a faceid equivalent it won't be toggled all that often for most users as long as you make the latch require the camera be powered to release to prevent people from just clicking it absentmindedly like a pen. if built to high standards it shouldn't be a problem.

but built to android phone standards? lol.

yeah I fidget a lot and would absolutely click the camera up and down a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mrmcd posted:

My Pixel phone has developed a strange curse. Now, no matter what usb-c charging device I plug into it, instead of the charging battery indicator showing up, the male usb-c plug gets extremely hot and a strong scent of burning metal and chemicals is noticeable.

This is 100% reproducible on several different chargers.

"other than that it works great!"

• Locked thread