Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I just go to Supercuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
GPM had the worst client ever, good riddance.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jenny Agutter posted:

what? its fine

Absolutely not. It's much too easy to move and remove songs in playlists, did it accidentally all the time. It also simply suppresses songs that are no longer available, without any indication - with Spotify, I can set it to "show unplayable songs" so I know what songs I'm suddenly missing in my playlists.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 18, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, I totally expected that stage demo to be a call to a real hairdresser.

The clickbait is strong with this one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Agile Vector posted:

maybe, but jobs did the same style of call but live, didnt he? its one thing to say yeah, its edited for details etc., its another to have a totally fake presentation and not disclaim it when asked directly. even a 'modified for privacy' response would have made sense

Did he? The calls in Apple presentation always seemed just as scripted.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

yes, if your product is ai that can make a phone call it's somewhat important for the ai to be making a phone call, because otherwise you're just demonstrating a phone call, which i understand have been around for a while now.

If the technology is there, this doesn't matter at all. They are demonstrating how it works, the specific content of this one phone call isn't the point.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Who likes calling people when texting is so much easier? The worst are annoying people that don't understand the signs that I'd like to end the phone call and not spend an hour yapping.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

twitter for android has to bundle its own emoji because android doesn't get updates https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/21/17376316/twitter-android-emoji-update-fix

Pretty sure they could simply use the emojis bundled with the Google Play Services.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Google  has quietly crept out of the tablet business, removing the “tablets” heading from its Android page

This seems more like an exercise in re branding if they're now only in the "Chrome OS tablet" business instead of the "Android table" business. Eagerly awaiting the release of the "Allo tablet".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Disregard, the Android tablets section is back up

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/1003122415742771200

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How is leaving out an egg more inclusive? You'd need to add more ingredients to be inclusive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Had they added some shrimp 🦐 to the salad, that'd be inclusive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Wheany posted:

oh, so it's expensive trash for children

Don't think the iPad is targeted at children primarily.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AES performance most likely. lovely scores mean battery drain and performance bottlenecks for encrypted storage.

nvm

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Streamed games feel terrible, input latency is much too high. And that's on a great wired cable connection. It's like gaming on a terrible TV but much worse. I'm not looking forward to only playing Killzone 2 in the future.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TwoDice posted:

have you guys seen the input lag on a modern tv outside game mode? 100ms is way more than whatever your cdn latency is and console gamers put up with that everywhere

More like 20-30 ms with any modern TV. Still entirely too much. And playing on a TV with that much input latency already feels terrible. Adding a round trip to and from the next GPU farm, encoding time on top sounds even worse.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 29, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Krankenstyle posted:

alone in the dark

That's a real classic.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

ugh chrome 68 does the windows 10 native notifications

And that's a good thing.

TwoDice posted:

if you can get 10ms e2e latency to a data center on a low latency display that’d probably be good for most games
idk if that’s feasible tho

With how much the government is investing in FTTH, everyone will be on fiber very soon. Oh, wait.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

jit bull transpile posted:

And then these same idiots make fun of "grills" for doing frivolous things like shopping for fashionable clothes. Gaming hardware is Armani Exchange for toxic nerds.

Or, just maybe, there's an actual reason game streaming hasn't taken off so far and that reason is latency makes streamed games feel terrible?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People actually reading Gruber is the most baffling thing to me.

Also, analysts never know anything and shouldn't be listened to. They're always either dead wrong or stating the obvious.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Most desirable:
Don't buy a crapple.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

i don't understand why logitech requires a lovely dongle and doesn't use regular rear end bluetooth

Their modern mice and keyboards tend to support both.

See: M590 mouse, MX Anywhere 2S or K375s keyboard.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

None of these things are true.

The PS4 controller absolutely does have less latency than other controllers, like the Xbox controller.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/controllers-input-lag-comparison.58569/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Thanks for the graph showing Sony controllers are garbage

learn2read

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fact it's taking this long to produce should make it pretty obvious the new Mac Pro is going to be another overengineered POS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's me, Jony Ive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

is there a way to revert to the blob-man emoji on an android phone without running your phone through a russian credit card skimmer?

my new phone has android 8 and the only thing i really miss is the blobs

There are some blob emoji available as part of two Gboard sticker packs. Unfortunately, no way to get back the real blobs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

skull mask mcgee posted:

bring back rdio

Rdio's UI was terrible and super slow.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why would you expect any of these primitive "assistants" to be of any help in a "what to do when I'm sick" situation? Best case, it'll pull some remedies from some quack website and parse it incorrectly.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Remember when chatbots for customer support were all the rage in the late 90s? This is the same thing, just more refined.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How many people even use browser profiles. Can't imagine that's a widely used feature.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

I like that the tabs don’t look like complete out of place windows95-era garbage anymore

Now they look like completely out of place Windows XP-era garbage.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

i use a personal one and a work one
the account switcher thing is now in the address bar area, next to the three vertical dot menu

my bitter bi rival posted:

me for work and personal separation. firefox's profiles are not as easy to use as chromes were but are still fine.

Hm, I do this using two versions of the same browser - Release and Beta. Maybe I should look into profiles, but I dislike the ugly icons it puts on the taskbar.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple needed Google to invent copy and paste for them, so I'm not sure that theory holds.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
New YouTube app finally has a dark mode (just like the web version), that alone is worth the update.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Remember when Iphones couldn't copy & paste?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
But what if it's their new chat client, "Allo Again"?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, I'm going to read page after page of someone's grievances about having to work on Google+ instead of the product they wanted to be working on.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

or the normalization of nazi themes in something dull like video games ultimately helped normalize nazis themselves

Or, just maybe, not every societal movement is related to gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just lol if you're not using Vivaldi.

• Locked thread