Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you want to read some great Spidey comixology is selling Scarlet Spider for .99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The complete series?

.99 per issue. It's a great deal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is that the new one with Kaine?

Yep

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!
Finally, to anyone who read Ultimate Spider-Man #1 this week I really hope that's not the real Peter, part of my enjoyment of ultimate spidey is that I never read the Peter stuff so Miles didn't feel like he was in anyone's shadow, under pressure? Yes, but, shadow? No. I had to force myself to think "well, let's see how this plays out" :smith:.

You need to read Amazing Spidey 1-122. You can really see that Mary Jane changes from her first appearance to helping Peter deal with Gwen's death.

As for the Ultimate stuff, look who the bad guys are in the beginning of the issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The love triangle stuff was also due to John Romita Sr. (The best Spidey artist) coming on board. He was most famous for doing romance comics, so that element was added more to Spidey.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

One of the many reasons I love his run. I've been going back and hitting up the Ditko stuff, and while I love the art in the first run of books, there's a meanness to the characters that's off-putting. I mean, Peter Parker's a complete smug rear end in a top hat most of the time, even when the other kids at school actually try to include him in things! If you read the first few dozen books as the origin story of a teenage supervillain it makes much more sense. And it's not just Peter. That first picture of Gwen Stacy posted a page back is a great example of the how the other supporting characters are generally written--sneering jerks who fail to see Peter's brilliant superiority or something. I think the change to make him less of a loner and more of a guy you really could root for, while taking away the supporting cast's total mindless at-all-times antagonism was for the best.

On the other hand, his first fight with Dr. Doom was loving amazing, like watching two angry 8-year-olds play Calvinball. "I'm going to throw your own laser satellite back at you!" "Nuh uh, the floor is ice now!" "Well then I jump over it and punch your head!" "WHICH WOULD WORK IF THAT WASN'T MY IDENTICAL ROBOT TWIN!"

This is the best picture of Gwen from her first appearance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Suben posted:

If you want to believe Rich Johnston, get ready for a Spider-Woman book by either Dennis Hopeless or Cullen Bunn (most likely Hopeless) and Greg Land. :shepicide:

I would say its Hopeless since Bunn already has 3 big 2 books plus his image work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Spider-Man 100th Anniversary had great art, and it was okay for a one-shot, but it doesn't feel like it blew me away. It was good but not Amazing, but still worth a read if you can.

I'm not giving Slott any money so I didn't read Spider-Man 2099

How is a Peter David written book giving money to Slott?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In the Marvel universe it's the year of our lord the high evolutionare 2014, and there's still no publicly available anti-mind reader helmet. Thanks Obama.

Y'know, I think Scott could stop a good chunk of mutant racism if he promised all his supporters anti-mind reading helmets 'Why hate us when we have these hats that will stop the GOVERNMENT from reading your mind! They started with your emails, don't let them invade your privacy further!'

Why would he need to market them when they already have tinfoil?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I really hope that Spidey Super Stories is not the next stop :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Same team as the Edge of the Spider-verse issue, too! Please let it be in-continuity to that book and not shove her into 616

Doubt it as she has been announced to appear in Spider-women, so guess its going to be sort of a backdoor pilot for this book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's not just Marvel. DC do it too. Just prior to the reboot they killed off Clark and Barry's parents, because everyone has to be Spider-Man or Batman.

The only time that Clark's foster parents were alive was post crisis. Pre crisis they were dead too.
The other thing that due to the way Marvel's multiverse works they can always say that the ones from this events are not the same ones from the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you mean in general or a specific bit?

Its Wendy, Marvin, and the Wonder Dog!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

I heard Slott call Ms Marvel the new Spider-Man which is quite true. The latest issue of Ms Marvel reminds me of some Spidey story where a robot goes after Peter at school because it was set to track Spider-Man.

It is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yM4ItdO9M

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, on a more positive note: Spider-Ma'am. :allears:

Will we get a No Spider-Ma'am group with JJJ?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Them killing Kaine is bullshit. He better be back!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

As much as I love Remender's run, he made the symbiote a bit too one-dimensionally evil for my tastes.

It was hard to tell where it was the symbiote ended and the booze started in that run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man I really hate the whole indirect killing doesn't count thing. It is so lame and misses the point.

Like when Captain America says "I don't torture people, but she does!" like no dude, if you allow it to happen, you are still doing it.

Also I think this poo poo is coming back during Secret Wars, so it isn't over, but Peter and Co don't know that.

Cap will kill you if he has no choice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Terror, Inc. predates Jeepers Creepers by quite a while.

Also less child rapist

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of Miles how is the storyline with Miles in All New X-men?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone like Hawkeye that much before the Fraction/Aja book?

The miniseries that he had in the 80s was pretty good and a lot of deaf people liked him before the Fraction/Aja book. He was also pretty great in Thunderbolts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

I would take over twenty comics of Venom going, "I'M GOING TO GET YOU PARKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR," over reading any issue with Bizarro in it.

Not even What ever happened to the man of tomorrow? He has been in some good issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Castomira posted:

Makes sense. That probably applies to the interrupted Angela plotline, too.

As long as they don't break up The Mary-Janes, I'll keep a positive attitude.

Angela is being replaced by 1602 Witch Hunter. Spider-gwen is in Spider-verse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^burtle posted:

I miss u Spock~

I miss u Kaine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Argue posted:

Maybe the patch of Ultimate Manhattan will survive on 616, with Ultimate May, Gwen, and Miles' cast surviving. Have that high school principal from USM in there too and have him pissed that now he has to deal with multiples of everyone enrolling in his school.

The principal from Nova.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Marvel just announced that Mary Jane is going to be part of Iron Man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? Why? He already has a redheaded love interest.

I don't think they have really interacted outside of civil war.

No idea. Guess that's something that will be part of the time jump.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And Agents of Atlas hasn't even started yet.

Its a one shot

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

He didn't say when, but that he would.

I am pretty sure he said that the first storyline in Spider-man is a sequel to Spider-men.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Don't hold your breath.

Or based off what he said just wait till next week

quote:

Spider-Man writer Brian Michael Bendis entrenched this idea further during an interview with Marvel.com, calling Spider-Man a “sequel” to his 2012 series, Spider-Men. In Spider-Men, Peter Parker traveled to the Ultimate Universe for team-up adventure with Miles Morale. “[T]he thing I get asked about every day, is a sequel to Spider-Men, the [series] we did a couple of years ago where Peter Parker met Miles. Consider the first year of this book the sequel to that series,” Bendis said.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It is time to bring back the twins!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

We haven't gotten that far yet.

I know in Venom they said that if you are bonded to it for a certain amount of time, its "permanent"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This isn't even the craziest way he has done this.

Hire actress to impersonate aunt may.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

90% of all female actors over sixty are employed by Norman Osborn.

drat you Meryl Streep!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of wonder if Slott & Bendis are in an unspoken game of chicken over who's going to blink first and let the other guy claim the 'longest run on Spider-Man' trophy.

When, really, the fact theyve both been writing so long is kind of a damning indictment of Marvel in general.

At least theyre getting new blood in with Zdarsky (& depending how you look at it, Conway).

Bendis already has 16 years

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Oh right, I see it was rebooted in 2015. Could I not just start from there and make enough sense of it?

Nope since it's still slott and he has been writing it for a long time

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Then stop reading just before the Ultimate Clone Saga.

Edit:As for the reading , if I had the money to read that other comic I would.

I know this sounds crazy but the ultimate clone saga is not bad and if you stop reading there then you won't get to aunt mays and her suoer boarders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gatts posted:

Why can't I just get all my Spider Bros and Baes hanging out kicking rear end.

Peter, Ben, Kaine, Miles, Jessica and Jessica just going about kicking rear end and being all awesome and poo poo with the Spider Multiverse.

With Uncle Melvin!

• Locked thread