Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They could even have one of those celebrity name fusions, like Wellred.

Can't find the quote, but I remember Morrison saying he'd be a bad fit for Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Speaking of the change in Spider-Man between when Ditko was on the book, and when Romita took over, CBR talks about a Grant Morrison story that could have been. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/05/09/comic-book-legends-revealed-470/

Grant Morrison posted:

The Spider-Man of that world is a creepy, skinny Ditko guy, who lives on his own and is shunned by the neighbors.” said Morrison, “He only comes alive when he’s out on the rooftops leaping about and squirting jets of white stuff over everything. Freud would have loved the story as the creepy but ultimately decent Spider-Man meets his counterpart from a place where Peter married a supermodel and made lots of money. The story was based around that tension and the ultimate redemption of the creepy Ditko character. I’d do something different now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Isn't Grant Morrison considered to be close to insane in all seriousness? It's either him or Frank Miller I heard that about... Because that entire quote just feels unhinged and weird.

I think it's just a big jab at Ditko. Spider-Man becoming an anti-social recluse who can only express himself when he's out super heroing (or making comics in Ditko's case). Grant isn't the first person to make a Freudian joke about Spidey's web, but in the context of a sexless Spider-Man it's a lot more apt.

Grant probably saw something disturbing in the original, tortured loner, version of Spider-Man. We can relate to Peter's problems with bullies, bills, and girls, and share in the escape of putting on a costume and becoming someone that's stronger and wittier than yourself. While that sounds great, it ignores the fact that Peter's life still sucks when he takes off the mask. Spider-Man becomes more of a noble avoidance of his real life problems. Grant likes his heroes mentally and socially healthy in and out of costume.

If he didn't lose the glasses, start riding that scooter, and dating girls, we'd probably have a Peter Parker that hides away in his room reading Ayn Rand.

Spider-Man: Blue is a pretty good showcase of Peter becoming more socially conscious. Tim Sale drawing Gwen and MJ invokes Romita's time on the book, reminding you of when Peter had to face it that he hit the jackpot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

MagnesiumB posted:

That's a pitch I can get behind. Also kinda makes me wonder what a Louis C.K. written comic would be like.

Probably awesome. Patton Oswalt wrote a really good JLA story. Comics write good comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider-Gwen sounds more interesting than Spider-Man. Batgirl meets Spidey. And that look is amazing!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Been eating up almost all the Original Sin tie ins, and it's a shame that I can't read loving Amazing Spider-Man of all things.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll admit I don't hate Dan Slott, but I have no interest in reading the main book either. I sure hope Spider-Man and the X-Men is good!

Slott called Ms Marvel the next Spider-Man, so I gotta give him some credit for that, and this next issue will be the first one I buy since he started his solo run. Kinda pumped about Spiderverse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The funny thing is that DC could have easily done the same loving thing with Batgirl in the new 52. Though Batgirl would have a better relationship with the police.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

So, Matt Fraction isn't a butt stuff werewolf?

This was my first issue since Slott started on the book, and I thought it was actually pretty good. My first exposure to Spider-Man was a VHS copy of a couple Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and I didn't mind the back up at all. I don't mind them breaking a few eggs to make a omelette that has all the Spider-Mans. I quit reading Amazing partially because I thought I read all the Spider-Man stories, but Crisis on Infinite Spidey's is just the thing I'm looking for.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They're rescuing Spider-Man '66. My dad loved that cartoon. I was introduced to Spidey from the Amazing Friends show, which is totally different.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Would you say your hate boner is directly proportional to Slott's murder boner?

Have you tried not reading Amazing? I know it's tough, but I was able to skip Slott's entire solo run on the book until Spiderverse came about. It's been pretty fun so far, can't wait to see things really get under way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did you at least read the Edge of Spiderverse one shots? They were fun stuff, and each stand on their own until the last couple pages of each issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I heard Slott call Ms Marvel the new Spider-Man which is quite true. The latest issue of Ms Marvel reminds me of some Spidey story where a robot goes after Peter at school because it was set to track Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yep.

And the Spidey teaser is referencing one of Marvel's biggest events. Peter and MJ marrying in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21 had a live event in Shea stadium and everything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spiderverse is off to a good start. Don't care much for the villains, but I'm loving all the Spider-People. Where's the Spider-Man that's still possessed by the symbiote? You'd think that'd be an obvious one to include.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Haven't seen her. Though it's probably for the best if you have alternate versions that you are fond of not being used. Like we haven't seen Earth X Peter and Mayday. Or Spider-Phoenix.

Earth X Mayday is part of Kang's gang.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You're really reaching with the ham fists. Those two issues gave you everything you need to know about the character. Of course her fan girl tendencies are going to come up, they're an endearing part of who she is. Nobody wants to give Slott any credit for giving Ms. Marvel a huge push by featuring her in Amazing loving Spider-Man.

How was Spiderverse Team Up? Local store under ordered.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Like that other one that is getting her own series?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider Girl was really good in Avengers Assemble.

EDIT: Spider Woman is a great character.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 22, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My favorite parts were the references to Spider-Man comics, so I'm claiming it as a Spidey book.

Iceman calling him a Non-Mutant was a reference to the era, around when McFarland was on the book, he was billed as the Non-Mutant super hero. And I liked the reference to the Toad/Frog Man team up from Amazing Spider-Man #266 which also included Spider-Kid who became Steel Spider, famous for getting his arm bit off in Ellis' Thunderbolts. Spidey was still wearing the symbiote I believe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like her classic look, but I'm totally down for this. I'm always a fan of a good non costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Whatever happened to that Sinister 666 idea that was teased years ago around BND? That'd have been great for this event. A crash of Rhinos! A flock of Vultures! A rave of Electro's!

I don't have anything against Morlun, but I'd rather see Norman Osborn try and throw Spider Gwen off a bridge. If you're going to bring out all the Spidey toys, give me some classic villains to smash them against.

EDIT: :frogout: I'm planning a Spider Punk costume for C2E2

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 9, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Close second to Green Goblin. Having Norman and Peter know each other in their civilian lives gives them a relationship few Heroes/Villains have.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah but it's also a relationship that was barely used except for some mostly unreadable comics toward the end of the 90's.

Often imitated, but Amazing Spider-Man 39 and 40 is the definitive Green Goblin story. It's a really great example of what made Spider-Man such a great character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Please tell me you'll be at C2E2 this year. If there's two things we love on the outskirts of Detroit it'd be punk music and Spider-Man.

If Spider Punk dies we riot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks for buying the issue guys, I'm glad you liked it! Response to Hobie as the Anarchic Spider-Man has been pretty great for the most part. Making comics is fun.

Gave it to my friend who does punk music, and he says it's certified 100% Punk. Even the censorship on the head bashing panel did little to obscure the brutality, and was pretty funny to boot. Using music to weaken the symbiotes was also used in Spider-Man: Reign, but it's such a good metaphor it doesn't matter if it's been done before.

We really dug the cover that one band did of Spider Gwen's "Face it Tiger", so we might whip up a little something for the Anarchic Spider-Man.

Anything you can say about the editorial process? Any resistance to making Spidey Hobie Brown?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish the one-shots were Morlun losing for silly reasons.

Morlun can't kill Twinkie Spider-Man because every time he tries he's distracted by the twinkies, or the twinkies somehow manage to sate his hunger but only in that world or whatever. That would be funnier than the punchline being murder.

Nope. Being the one time fruit pies didn't distract a villain because he'd rather consume the hero is just fine on its own. Slott knows his Hostess ads. Dude brought the Ding-A-Ling family into the 616.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider Punk seems like too much of a rebel to be slinging webs that restrain people.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Has Rick Remender told you how jealous he is that you got to do Spider Punk? Seems like it would've been right up his alley.

616 Hobie Brown could use a fire lit under his rear end. I got his first appearence (Amazing #78) when I was a kid, and always wondered why they never made a bigger deal out of the Spawn looking guy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Masks died with Rey's knees. I've been harping since I've got back into wrestling that it needs more masks and face paint.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I honestly wouldn't mind in the least if 616 Peter got replaced with an alive Ultimate Peter. Trade in 616 Aunt May too. Miles, Peter, and Gwen; Teenage Spider People would be some great fun. I'd put all the continuity of my Spider-Man collection on the shelf for something new and exciting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, realizing that is kind of what made me stop caring about modern Spider-man comics.

Been reading Spider-Man comics on and off since I was seven, and going on thirty this year, I hope Peter always stays young. Marrying him off, giving him kids and a stable job, is just too far away from what made Spider-Man such a hugely popular character. We want to see the characters we love grow and change the way our lives do, but Spidey should be preserved for future generations.

There's a pair of old VHS tapes, one with a couple episodes of Spider-Man '66, the other with a couple episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, that really defined the character for me. I was fine with married Spider-Man, but when I got ahold of Ultimate Spider-Man in my teens, it felt like the comics were finally publishing the real Spider-Man again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Early twenties Spider-Man is fine. It keeps close enough to the core of the character. Marrying him to a super model and giving him a kid matures him too much.

Nova aged out, and they replaced him with Sam Alexander. If they want to make Miles Morales the youthful Spider-Man, and let Peter grow up, then I'm fine with that. There just needs to always be a Spider-Man in that 15-25 range.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Literally? C'mon..

I actually love the MJ/Peter marriage. She's the happy ending that Peter deserves. I just worry that the character isn't going to have the same appeal to kids if Spidey has kids of his own. I'm getting old, I don't think I need to take him with me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

XboxPants posted:

But... even if Peter grows up, the old stories are preserved for future generations. I'm not exactly sure what you think is going to happen if Peter ages in the comics - it's not as if the old stories get burned in a fire, and they're apparently still perfectly accessible to youths, since you yourself admit to growing up on Spider-Man stories from 20 years before you were born.

People who think change would be cool aren't trying to retroactively take away the old stories you like. You'll still have the decades upon decades of comics and cartoons that you treasure, and they'll still keep making great "Young Spider-Man" adaptations like Ultimate Spider-Man and the amazing Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon from a couple years back.

Future generations won't be losing anything.

You're right. I do hope there's always a young Spider-Man because when I was a teenager I found high school student Peter more relatable than high school teacher Peter. This was also the time where the only DC books I read without Batman in them were Teen Titans and the Legion of Super Heroes. Like, I'm sure that Ms. Marvel will do fine when she becomes an adult, but I wouldn't trade those teen years for anything.

It's an interesting conversation. Maybe we can rile up the detailed thread sometime and argue about what kind of characters kids and teens prefer, and the importance of youth for certain heroes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You guys are so full of poo poo it's probably coming out of your ears. I'd have a hard time finding an uninteresting character in that run.

And the correct answer for Spider-Man writer is Mark Waid or Zeb Wells.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The marriage isn't coming back. I think it's time to move on. I hope you guys aren't like this about real life break ups.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Most real life breakups don't involve selling the relationship to the devil.

Most.

I'd like Frank Cho to get a proper arc in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

WickedHate posted:

His Silver Surfer is a huge Doctor Who rip off. I actually liked it at first but it got so old so fast. Especially since he has the Surfer constantly losing the silver, to make it even more obvious.

The last issue was real good. Old school Galactus fighting, moon surfing, craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I know it's a total coincidence, but I was tickled that during her conversation with Carol about ditching the costume she says she hates donuts. When she puts back on her costume in the first arc of Bendis' New Avengers, Jess says she's done with donuts, and uses them to bribe imprisoned super villains.

• Locked thread