Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Darn and I was hoping the twist would be that everyone gets incursion'd, then the camera zooms out to reveal Uatu standing there saying "And that's what would happen if I got shot in the head and Spider-Man got mind-whammied by my eyeball", revealing the entire last 4 months of Marvel continuity to be a What If.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fred is on posted:

God drat I hate being right.

I mean, that would be an awesome gag ending, but come on if you honestly thought a particular moment where Leopardon just stomps on bad guys over and over was going to happen, you were fooling yourself. Even if the comic weren't grimdark, that's like totally on the other end of the comedy spectrum, into wacky hijinx (although I guess he could've shown up with Miles and the cartoon Spideys, but noooo everyone wanted a robot fight.) Supaidaman calling himself the emissary of hell will never not be funny though.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 8, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You could totally have Leopardon at least save the day in that particular situation without exploding. You could also build the robot up as a secret last hope, or anything. There's no reason to have the heroes constantly job to the villains to create tension unless you are a bad writer.

No one thought "To me, my Galactus" was a stupid gag ending.

"To me my Galactus" worked because it had tons of buildup and everything worked in the story. A giant robot appearing from nowhere to save the day doesn't work in the same way at all. Although I suppose I agree that the explosion was unnecessary. Maybe Doc Ock and Sp//der can do the emissary of hell a solid after all this is over and fix the thing up.

edit:

It's funny, thinking about this whole darned event, that it's lazy writing but simultaneously, it's kind of necessary? Slott kind of wrote himself into a corner from the start by promising an event with every Spider-Man ever, then making it a story involving a bunch of vampires that kill Spideys. We all know it's gonna come down to 616 Spidey saving the day, so (like every good What If) all the other Spider-Men-and-Women are living on borrowed time. And since there are so many alternate Spider-Men with so many more amazing abilities than 616 Spidey (like Captain Universe Spidey or the Spider-Man with a loving giant robot) that by necessity they have to job out just to make 616 Parker even stand out in the grand scheme of things.

Frankly, the whole premise of the event is flawed. If you want to have every Spider-Man ever in an event, you can't have a villain that's based around killing Spider-Men, because you're inevitably going to anger fans when you off their favorite SM (is there a universally hated Spider-Man?). But if they don't kill any Spider-Men, well then there's no villain important enough to unite all the Spider-Men. The only way I see to do it is to just invent a whole bunch of random-rear end Spideys of your own creation so you don't have to write around the other Spideys' established personalities or abilities, but as it is, Spider-Verse is held back by being... Spider-Verse.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 8, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Walrus posted:

You don't have to kill to establish threat. The Spider-Men could be enslaved a la Verla's hounds or do body horror as they're turned into powerful spider-strands for the Web of Fate that the Gothic Victorian Cosplay Society are having Master Weaver make to give them control of the multiverse or something and then it's an easy enough fix for everything to be set straight at the end without feeling like a complete asspull.

Slott's just a bad writer.

I'd argue that doing body horror (which most people write as literally a fate worse than death) would be just as bad if you're trying to avoid the negative fan reaction but hey whatever. Thank goodness Hostess Ad Spider-Man isn't dead, he was just horrendously transformed into a web and has no mouth but cannot scream but hey he isn't dead.

Look, I agree, you don't have to kill to establish threat. For example, a lot of Dark Reign's threat was based entirely on the fact that a psychopath was in charge of SHIELD and had a bunch of other superpowered psychos on a leash totally government-sanctioned to kill people whenever he wanted. But that's establishing a threat based on one planet in one universe. Again, my question is how do you establish a multiversal threat. And I think the easiest way is having the spiders being hunted. You can say that Slott's a lazy hack for taking that easy way, but in Avengers, Hickman is killing whole worlds like it's going out of style, the situation is tense and nobody in this thread cares half as much (because nobody cares about all the Captain Britains being dead). You can say no one cares because Hickman is a better writer, and to an extent you'd be right, but ultimately I think it's because everyone gets mad when they see their favorite Spidey lose.

And that's what I was saying before. Spider-Verse promises every Spider-Man ever, and it delivers... and that is why it fails. Every Spider-Man ever in an event comic is an idea destined for disaster because 616 Spidey is the star and event comics are where background characters go to die. You might as well mourn Skrull #482-A from Infinity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is that both think the other is wasting their talent.

It is notable that one of the first things that Ock does after taking Peter's body is note how easy to make Peter's web fluid is and how he could have made a shitload of money with it. Then he's amazed that Peter doesn't have a doctorate so he goes off and gets one. Ock thinks Parker is wasting his talents on superheroing, Parker thinks Ock is wasting his on evil (they're both kinda right well Peter is right, but Doc Ock has a point).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 11, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seeing that Spider-Punk page with V.E.N.O.M reminded me, does anybody else find it weird that there's not been one Venom/Spider-Man who kept the symbiote in this whole thing yet? I mean, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of What Ifs, but I feel like there's gotta be at least one story where Peter keeps the symbiote, for better or for worse.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wasn't she recently destroyed from existence in Remender's Uncanny Avengers? I only barely remember reading that story and I don't think I read the end.

Unknown. She faded away when Kang was defeated, presumably back to her timeline.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't say I'm upset about MvC Spidey's death. He was always a mid-tier character. :rimshot:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Here's a preview for ASM #13.

What the hell is going on with that baby? The proportions are all wrong.

Also, here's a preview for Spider-Verse Team-Up #3.

Interesting that Deflaco & Frenz are not only using the narration captions Slott did (which they themselves called out as wrong), they have her calling her brother 'Benny'. I'm guessing those mistakes are deliberate, since it makes no sense for them to point out a mistake and then make it themselves.

Also, on a more positive note: Spider-Ma'am. :allears:

I just realized that I think Kaine's a dead clone walking. His whole status on what being the Other means is really vague, that picture of him going full spider is ominous, and now that New Warriors is canceled, he doesn't have a series to go back to to justify keeping him alive. He's not immune from death and killing the Other seems like just the kind of "big deal last page cliffhanger" things this event has been full of. :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I hope the next version of Peter involves him growing a neckbeard and wearing a Spider-fedora.

Actually, it's about ethics in webslinging.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Did you know Anya is an orphan? She has no family, and she's still in high school. It's never brought up but at the same time there's no goddamn reason for it because I can't even remember who killed her father.

It was some bullshit where he was a target for assassination along with Red Hulk and when they both got poisoned, Ross hulked out to survive and accidentally smashed a chunk of roof on the guy. You know, some bullshit.

Also thinking about the Spider-Girl series reminded me that that scene with her decoding the scrolls in ASM is flawed. Her powers used to be tied to mystical totem poo poo. But now her powers are now a leftover part from Spider-Island that somehow didn't get erased at the end of the event and also somehow didn't turn her into a spider-monster like everyone who developed powers in that event. So she's powered by good ol' science like everyone else. I'd figure continuity cop Dan Slott wouldn't let that slide so easy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

Parker Brothers sex-machine.

Milton Bradley is not gonna be able to compete with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's always one-man juggling act/super-writer Charles Soule available.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If Kaine is actually dead I will be so disappointed, goddamn. I mean Jesus what an unceremonious death. Just "oh we stabbed the Other now he's dead I... guess? but we won't really show a corpse, just smear a little blood on this web here and move on to some other bullshit"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

What's interesting is a preview for post Spider-verse shows a load of Spider's who are going to be part of Secret Wars, one of them is Spider-man Noire. Now, to the best of my knowledge, he died during Spider-woman's adventures with Silk. So there could be a fair number of Resutrections on the table in the Epilogue issue.

Noir got hurt and they left him in his reality, but he didn't die.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

What's Scorpion been up to lately?

IIRC, Spock beat the poo poo out of him (like put him in a full-body cast and literally broke his jaw clean off) during like, his first week of being Spidey (his reaction was "Wow I never realized Parker was pulling his punches so much all this time"), then Spider-Slayer fixed him up with NANOMACHINES, but then Spock killed Spider-Slayer so the nanomachines stopped working and he went back to being incapacitated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Yeah, but it was called Iron Man 2.0

Yvonmukluk posted:

It was an Iron Patriot run, actually.

You're both right. And I bought them both because I'm a sucker for War Machine and neither was ever anything but subpar. (Iron Man 2.0 was egregiously bad because when you're writing a story about a guy called War Machine, whose whole gimmick is "having a suit designed to wreck poo poo harder than Iron Man" the best story to write with him is not a mystery where the final boss ends up being nanomachines and no one really gets wrecked)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Because even if she's not the MC2 Spider-Girl (although as far as Slott is concerned, she is) having her story end with her an orphan is really depressing?

Dollars to donuts the page after that preview of ASM 15 is a reveal that surprise surprise Peter and MJ lived through it all via [INSERT BULLSHIT HERE].

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well on the one hand I'm glad Kaine isn't dead, on the other hand, that ominous hand bursting out of a spider corpse leads me to think when he appears next it will be as a villain or a spider-monster or whatever just Scarlet Spider is finally dead is what I'm saying/fearing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So now that they're not bound by crossover law to pay attention to the main title, what are the odds on any of the writers of the other spider-books (2099, Silk, Gwen) paying attention to Slott's dumb "oh man everybody's spider-sense is totally shot" thing from the latest issue?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Well to be fair universes have been poofing out of reality, and literally crashing into our reality, for several months now so...

Well yeah, but that's something we as readers know about. To Spider-Man in universe, this should be big news.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

When did this happen.

Okay I phrased it poorly their spider-sense is "diminished"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

See, I liked that tone here, but hated it in Ant-Man. So maybe I just don't like Spencer?

Perhaps. Because while I didn't dislike Spider-Woman, I'd say that Ant-Man sure hits the kind of tone Spider-Woman seems to be going for much better. And if you're gonna do the whole "Z-list supervillains are weird" thing then yeah, Superior Foes basically is a master class.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 5, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

You guys sure are mad about a throwaway line.

This is the same forum that got into a heated debate because Ms. Marvel referenced an internet meme.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

wait, what

Start here and the next two pages are like a breakdown where discussion shifts from talking about comics into an eventual debate about memes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Doctor Octopus decided he needed to take over a younger Parker to allow him more time to prove himself the SUPERIOR Spider-Person.

"Now that I am adorable, no one will dare attempt to stop me!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jubilee's okay. The only truly bad characters are Deathstroke and Daken.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what makes me madder, that Camuncoli's on art, or that Slott seriously used the word "gumption" in an interview in loving 2015.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thompson is writing Spidey, basically in-continuity Marvel Adventures Spider-man.

You had me at Marvel Adventures.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a reason there are no Reeds. It's because they all died in FF except for 616 and Ultimate.

Well yeah, but since everything supposedly died, all the alt-Reeds could theoretically come back. They just aren't because of the standing "gently caress Reed Richards" policy on Battleworld.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If Ganke doesn't survive I will be very mad. Same with Jessica, Bombshell, Cloak/Dagger. I pretty much love everyone in All Nee Ultimates (even though the book was poo poo)

I can see maybe Cloak and Dagger because no one's done poo poo with the 616 versions of them in forever (although their mini from Spider-Island was very entertaining), or Bombshell maybe, but I really don't see Jessica making it over. I mean, 616 already has a Spider-Woman and a Black Widow and IIRC didn't the end of Spider-Verse show that Kaine wasn't quite dead yet? So there's still a clone around. Ultimate Jessica Drew is facing a serious crisis of being phased out due to being redundant.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

New this December from Marvel: the BROWN RECLUSE.

Sneak preview (imagine with genderflip i guess):

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Can't wait for Peter Parker's body guard Spider-man to show up.

I unironically want to see this because of the sheer ludicrousness (Although in all honesty Marvel's overrun with Spider-folk these days, if Peter needed someone to put on the costume to pull the old "Look I can't be Spider-Man, because he and I are in the same room!" it'd be easier than ever)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got around to reading ASM and honestly I don't think it would have bothered me all that much if ASM prior to Secret Wars hadn't ended on the note it did. "Oh no, our company's hosed!" SMASH CUT TO "Man things sure are loving great now!" Like, I know, I know, the universe is timeskipping after Secret Wars, which is something I hate in general so that's on Marvel, not Slott. And I'm sure there'll probably be flashbacks to what happened in that gap to make Parker so successful, but I hate hate hate when a story drops me with an established character with everything wildly different with no explanation.

Also I don't know if Slott is trying to write Peter as being some sort of nice noble boss who gives second chances or if it's just clumsy writing, but finding out someone in your company has been actively sabotaging your company, undermining your decisions, and possibly working with supervillains to make attempts on your life is grounds for termination, not a stern talking-to.

Lurdiak posted:

This still seems like a weird move overall, a huge part of what made all those characters interesting was the world they inhabit. But hey, I'll give it a shot.

First 5 issues: "Hey Miles sit down and let your old man tell you about his new, retconned backstory. This is the all new all different way I became a SHIELD undercover agent in the 70s..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I have no idea if it's what Slott means to do or not, but I could see Peter being aware enough of his medium to reason that if he fires her, she'll bomb around other companies for a minute before landing in HYDRA or the Secret Empire, and will then show up six months later in a weird metal suit swearing vengeance on him for an imagined or disproportionate slight.

That's kind of what I was thinking too, only if Peter were somehow becoming genre savvy, he'd realize that keeping his identity secret from his loved ones has only ever caused problems in his life rather than double down on the elaborate ruses by getting Prowler to body double for him as Spider-Man when they need to be in the same place at the same time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

That said, they should probably kill off the entire team because who cares?

Web warriors is actually a fun-to-read gem among the current Marvel lineup and I don't see the problem with it.

(That said if anyone's getting axed it's totally Spider-UK. Dude hardly takes off his mask, his only gimmick is "is British" which doesn't translate to text well, and his tragic backstory doesn't make sense anymore (his homeworld was incursion'd... except it should be back now))

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda tired of literally every Miles Morales story ending with "venom shock does ker-razy poo poo". I mean drat, Bendis, did you forget that Spider-Man can do whatever a spider can, like shoot webs and poo poo?

I mean I know I'm being a little hyperbolic here but I know his super awesome power that conveniently no one really understands has knocked out the (Ultimate) Green Goblin, Venom, Dr. Doom (+ a room of HYDRA goons), and now loving (Prime Earth) Blackheart? Like, what can't venom shocks do?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 5, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Basically you should watch Ultimate Spider-man now,

Disney marketing team parachute account spotted. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I am in some sort of bizarro universe because goons hated Slott while I thought he was just an okay writer and now that he's writing some really silly dumb poo poo, people like him and now I think he's a hack. Maybe it's a character trait of my brand new post-SW reboot.

Oh also Spidey 2099 is cool.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I genuinely don't know what people are seeing in Slott's latest run. Please help me understand.

Well you see it's great because it really gets back to the roots of the character as a man-child who skips work to get in petty fights with friends.

(I don't get it either)

• Locked thread