Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

But that's exactly what Peter Parker is

Only post BND.

Also that time he was rebooted in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stretching the definition of manchild a bit here.

Though the early 2000's are basically still the reboot era so I don't know why they should be stated as two different times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I don't know what definition of manchild yall are using.

I mean I guess it has become kind of a nebulous term and all so I shouldn't be surprised.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am not sure a character (if you want to call her that I guess) that appeared in two movies is the most popular iteration of the character. Or that many people cared all that much that she died.

Edit: I mean maybe by default? Because she isn't a well known character (outside comic circles) and I don't think that has changed.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 23, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Been reading Spider-Man comics on and off since I was seven, and going on thirty this year, I hope Peter always stays young. Marrying him off, giving him kids and a stable job, is just too far away from what made Spider-Man such a hugely popular character. We want to see the characters we love grow and change the way our lives do, but Spidey should be preserved for future generations.

There's a pair of old VHS tapes, one with a couple episodes of Spider-Man '66, the other with a couple episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, that really defined the character for me. I was fine with married Spider-Man, but when I got ahold of Ultimate Spider-Man in my teens, it felt like the comics were finally publishing the real Spider-Man again.

Spiderman hasn't been young since like the 60's to about the late 70's. So he hasn't been young in over 40 years.

So I don't think that is what made him popular, all things considered.

Edit: Also he really didn't read that young in the 60/70's either, but that is more because of how they wrote him then age.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 25, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh I feel like core of the character isn't really at thing.

At least that specific.

The core to me seems to be the responsibility poo poo, and the soap opera poo poo.

Trying to narrow it down any farther seems pointless or just flat out impossible.

Like I like USM, but nothing about it seems spidermanish to me, it is just a teen soap opera poo poo. Spiderman may have also gone through that (I don't really think he did but for argument sake we will) but nothing about that has retained a spiderman specific identity.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

They threw out the 'supermodel' part of things back with Johnathan Caesar in the 80s. The literally only bought it back so they could then complain about how unrealistic it was for Peter to be married to a supermodel. Why do people keep parroting this nonsense? :colbert:

I do love the idea of realism (or relateablility) was a problem for a character who just literally had his mind swapped with a villain.

Who is now also fighting inter dimensional Vampires.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hickman is a plotter, and it is hard as poo poo to give a gently caress about his characters.

So Spiderman probably isn't something he could do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I am not sure why anyone would point to his FF run for interesting characters.

Because, um there weren't any.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Doom was doom I guess.

But it is really hard to gently caress up Doom.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

The marriage isn't coming back. I think it's time to move on. I hope you guys aren't like this about real life break ups.

Eh, it probably is at some point.

It makes a nice event, sells some comics.

Also I liked Hickman's FF. Just not for the characters.

If they existed.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 11, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man I really hate the whole indirect killing doesn't count thing. It is so lame and misses the point.

Like when Captain America says "I don't torture people, but she does!" like no dude, if you allow it to happen, you are still doing it.

Also I think this poo poo is coming back during Secret Wars, so it isn't over, but Peter and Co don't know that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the point of that in the movie was that he wouldn't buy that Cap would let him die, but Tasha might. The plan was always for Falcon to catch him and bring him back up in the classic Batman 'scare the confession out' tactic.

Well I got that scene mixed up with the comic book one that swaps Natasha out for Moon knight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No one knows what fridging means.

Its not a term that is used in comic books, its only really used outside.

It would make no sense considering its based on a DC story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Is there even such a thing as a casual comic book fan?

I would assume that term doesn't really apply to any niche market.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goons lecturing people on how teens talk will always be funny.

You all are so hip :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I dispute that. I can't think of one idea I like of his, that isn't just insert character into other characters stick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I always thought the controversy was because the main villain was a crossdresser who acted in the most stereotypical evil crossdresser ways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think he meant by have Slott write it.

That counts as teasing IMO.

Also we do know that certain Battleworlds poo poo is gonna stick, we just don't know which yet.

The only confirmed is the UU.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sometimes you gotta hope man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't care about Speedball and what they did was just awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Roger Stern had a lot of bad ideas.

Also I still find it hilarious they brought Harry back and still haven't done a thing with the dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that's by far the funniest part of all this. Bringing Harry back was like their power goal next to ending the marriage and letting Peter be a swinging bachelor again. Harry just kind of floundered around not doing anything and making Pete look like a manchild by having 2 kids and an ex-wife while Pete has yet to settle down, then he vanished. As for Pete's new love interests... what a memorable bunch of characters that was!

Yeah it is really a bad idea to highlight how a character whose big draw is his personal life, is really stagnant and boring. Which makes the Spider verse poo poo make sense, though you can only keep that going for so long.

Die Laughing posted:

Norah Winters was great.

Speaking of the Brand New Day era, wasn't there a Cindy Moon or something Moon working at Mayor Jameson's office? She may have been Black Cat in disguise. Whatever happened with that?
She got dropped like a lot of plot points of the era.

Really if you are gonna have multiple writers these things are bound to happen. Unless you plan it out beforehand, which BND doesn't really seem to have been.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Probably his OC.

I am actually surprised that isn't what happened really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

DeConnick had some kinda problem with it, and I'm pretty sure Slott was totally against it because it wasn't Carlie Cooper it didn't allow for scenarios where Peter's love interest is in danger or scenarios where he has to lie to his date to cover up his superheroism.

I'm sure someone tried to tell him on twitter these were positives and he blocked them.

To be fair, I am pretty sure that 90% of the writers who wanted that status quo back wanted exactly for those reasons as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To fair, that is only here.

For reasons I don't understand, most other comic boards loving love Dan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be even more fair, I am basing this off comic book resources, which tends to trend a bit sycophantic. Especially when something is ongoing.

But I only read it when Dan's run started, so I don't know if that is common or what.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If slott is still running the ship for Peter then everything he did will carry over.

There is no loving way Dan would be able to let go of his own poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hello Dan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I want him to still have the kid because Peter is the perfect goofy dad.

Goofy dads are underrepresented in comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I can't for the life of me see what y'all see in this. It strips everything that makes the character remotely interesting and replaces it with pure dullness.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

I got halfway through your post before my eyes glazed over from boredom.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Dan Slott vs John Byrne over the new direction (it's bleeding cool don't click but also click)

It is kinda sad how some of you guys sound like Byrne/his posters.

Unless there is more here, no one sounds like that here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Marvel's telling retailers that RYV #5 is going to be massive like Spider-Gwen #1 was. There's 1:100, 1:150 and 1:200 variants that were added the week of the final order. The 1:200's cover will reflect the twist that happens OR SO THEY TELL US.

Didn't they already reveal the post sw book and he is in Japan or something. So I am not sure what that twist could be.

Edit unless it is in the story itself, but that would be silly as who cares none of this matters.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 20, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That twist would own so it isn't happening.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What? Why? He already has a redheaded love interest.

I don't think they have really interacted outside of civil war.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 11, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They were probably unfounded, as when describing his new run Slott commenting his is gonna bring back everyone's favorite trope. Love Triangles.

Who actually likes love triangles, BTW?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Me. Any sort of romantic trouble for Peter. I'm also a fan of "will they/won't they", "I love you, but hate Spider-Man, because I blame him for my fathers death.", or "I'm attracted to Spider-Man, but Peter Parker does nothing for me."

OMG, I didn't know anyone liked any of those things.

They are so loving tedious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So pepper isn't in the book? That means Bendis is probably using her as a stand in.

That is really lazy Bendis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Decius posted:

Maybe, just maybe we should wait until we've read the loving book before calling a author lazy or something?

No.

• Locked thread