Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

Did they ever show that's the wrong word reference Anna Maria sleeping with Peter before now? Because I don't remember that happening at all during Superior and find that coming out at the end hi-fuckin'-larious. "Oh hey we hosed guess ya should know"

No I'm fairly sure it happened. I don't have the exact issue, but it happens during a date where they go to a Planetarium. They basically have a discussion about not getting hung up on things and just going with the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know what's more embarrassing, Hobgoblin's nonsense gunhammers or that Solo was involved.

Nothing will ever be more 90's than a panel of Solo jumping through a plate glass window firing two pistols. All while shouting out " While Solo lives, TERROR DIES!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Actually...

(Amazing Spider-Man 534 by JMS + Ron Garney)

On the one hand, I do like that that page because it's a well written piece to move along the central narrative that JMS wanted to work with. Namely that Peter is smart enough to figure something out and is being paranoid about how much information others have on him. From that point of view it's good. (NOTE, I'm not saying JMS's take on Civil War was good. I thought it was really tiresome him making the Pro Reg side into the ultimate evil boggeymen and to do so, they had to make them all evil.)

On the other hand, Peter you are a dumb rear end. "No one knows about my Spider-sense but May and MJ." HORSE poo poo! I can pick up any Stan Lee issue of Amazing from the 60's and I'll find a number of pages of you telling villains all your powers and how they work. Daredevil being blind was a better secret than your Spider-Sense.

The thing about JMS's run that got me (apart from the occasional hissy fit he seemed to throw around Civil War.) was he wanted Spider-man to work alongside the Avengers and how he could contribute to them. That's cool, I approve of this.
And he decided to use BMB's New Avengers line up to do so, wonderful. They were the Avengers at the time, it makes sense. Okay the Sentry was off the table because no one was sure what the deal with him so he sat out the Amazing stories. That's fine, other writers did the same.
What did kill me though was he would have Wolverine show up in the Avenger's meetings and act like an rear end hole to Spidey and either get smacked out of windows or verbally torn a new one by Aunt May. Right you don't like the guy, fine. That's lovely but fine.
But he didn't even have the stones to show that Wolverine was a part of the team and would you know help the Avengers save the world. Like during the Hydra Arc with the evil Avengers, Wolverine shows up in the pre and post fight scenes, but JMS makes it look like Wolverine actually doesn't go into battle with the Avengers. He makes it seem like Wolverine is just sponging off the Avengers and using Avengers tower to pick up mutant chicks and drink booze and nothing else.

And that is what I found really lovely. It's one thing to not like a character. But going out of your way to make him seem lovely at his job too? That's like Garth Ennis levels of bad.
Say what you will about Dan Slott,, even when he uses other character's in cameo's, he at least shows them being heroic. Sure his Avengers had to be not competent enough to immediately spot Spider-man was Doc Ock*, but he would at least show that the Avengers were busy fighting Spider-slayers or Goblin Island spider-soldiers or masses of super villains and not just have them all pass out as drunk.

* = And really it's not their purpose in the story. The Doc Ock story was never going to be resolved by "the guest stars instantly figure out something is wrong and end the dramatic tension."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that's another thing, Felicia has been around Spider-Man more than enough to realize *something* was hosed up over their fight. Why she's all "must kill spider" instead of trying to figure out what was wrong is baffling.

Not really. You see, Felicia has always loved/lusted after Spider-man but been meh about Peter Parker. In fact, they did break up when Peter explained who he was under the mask.

While their relationship is complex and she does rely on Spider-man (the person) to help her out of jams, she ultimately wants Spider-Man's body in a lustiful manner.
But Felicia is a selfish person. Sure, she does the hero thing and she robs from criminals and those who "can afford it" but she is not above using it as an excuse to enrich herself.

Yet as far as Felicia is concerned, Spider-Man finally got tired of their games. And not only did he web her up instead of their normal sparing/forelplay activity, he called the cops on her. And when she got arrested, all her ill-gotten games over years have been taken from her.

Really Felicia doesn't want to figure out what was wrong with Peter, because that would mean investigating the man beneath the mask and she doesn't care about that. She cares about getting back at the muscular red and blur friend with benefit who decked her and took away all her stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Any uk guys/girls here read spidey via the monthly mag "Astonishing Spider-man"? Looking back the price per content was phenomenal, £2.50 got you two current story arc issues and a back up which would be a classic spidey issue or a off-shoot like toxin.

I remember my first copy had Ben Reilly fighting Kane in the front and inside featured JRjr art and just thinking to myself, that's spider-man! That's how he should look, that's how Pete should look it's perfect. 14 years later I'm still reading ol' Web Head :3:

They also had an x-men one which probably made reading x titles much easier.

Ahhh those were the days :allears:

The Astonishing Spider-Man? Son, the comic series that got me into Spider-Man was The Exploits of Spider-Man!

http://www.biblio.com/book/exploits-spider-2329th-june-1994-tim/d/62810768

Check that poo poo out, the very first issue I ever bought. For £2, I got 100 pages of pulse pounding action. And not just ANY Spider-Man stories. It was the first two parts of Maximum Carnage, and an issue of Spider-Man 2099. I even think there was a Venom/Spider-Man arc from just before Maximum Carnage finishing up around that time too.

(And you want to talk about modern comics being confusing? Imagine being a 10 year old trying reading the first two stories where Venom is in San Francisco freaking out over Carnage and wanting to help Spider-Man beat him, then flip forward about 50 pages, and Venom and Spider-Man are in New York pounding each other's heads in and trying to figure out how that worked? Because 10 year old me didn't have no Internet or Wikipedia to figure out that Amazing Spider-Man #373 took place about 8 months before Spider-Man Unlimited #1.)

But reguardless, it was those comics that got me hooked on Spider-Man, and I still have those issues hold up in a locker. Fantastic value.
And the covers. I never realized it, but I think they used original artwork for most of those issues, and they were really good original artwork. That one of Peter/Miguel in the puddle is Amazing. As is another one with the two just webswinging off a building.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The solicitations for August's Spidey books are up.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52926

They mention Superior Foes being at it's "Penultimate Hour." Hope that means for the story arc as opposed to the book being completely cancelled next issue.

I'm also very intrigued by Superior Spider-Man getting an issue 32. While it's nice to have Peter Back, Otto's story really isn't done yet, at all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Do any origin retellings sell well?

Green Arrow: Year One.

Simply because his origin was mostly an obscure piece of trivia. So no matter how many copies it sold, it was bound to be more than O.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So, moving past that depressing conversation which was out to rob the joy of a dinosaur based world...

The solicits for November are up, and it's all Spider-Verse all the time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54943

WARNING: THE ABOVE LINK CONTAINS MENTION OF BEN REILLY! IF YOU ARE A HOPELESS BEN REILLY FAN, READING THOSE SOLICITS MAY MAKE YOU WANT TO BUY INTO SPIDER-VERSE!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I came across this on my news page today.

Basically we all are probably aware at how everyone is challenging people to pour ice over their heads and somehow Motor Neuron Disease will be defeated.

Anyway a 3 year old Irish boy decided to do it and when he had to nominate people to do it he picked his friend, Bono (from U2) and Spider-Man.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/spiderman-ice-bucket-challenge-1637309-Aug2014/

Upon being contacted about this Dan Slott decides to answer the kid's challenge. I thought it was cute.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

And you can compare Hickman to this when he shows the Cabal brutally murdering the Super Hero Squad universe while they laugh about how innocent the place is. Until then, nope.

Frankly, the stuff the Cabal has done is worse than anything Morlun has done. Like he's seriously amateur hour compared to what the Cabal has been doing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

When I finished Superior Foes 17, I genuniely thought that was the very last issue. And I was pissed since it didn't finish any of the stories. Since finding out that there is at least one more issue left, I'm far more relaxed about it. That being said, there's a lot to wrap up in one issue.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Castomira posted:

The really horrible thing about Daemos wrecking the ending of Spider-Girl is that MC2 was like the last surviving series after One More Day where Peter still had a happy ending with MJ. Now, at last, that's been borked too, and by virtue of the fact this'll probably be the last meaningful time we ever see MC2 in anything, Slott managed to get the last word.

If it's any consolation, that Peter at least got to heroically sacrifice himself to save his family.
The way things are going in the Marvel Multiverse even if he hadn't appeared here, Peter and his entire universe would have died unaware when their Earth hit another Earth. Or he would have been gruesomly murdered by Thanos and the Cabal and turned into lawn chairs, right before they set off a bomb that blows up Peter's Earths.

Things be grim in Alternate Earth lands.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I saw it coming but it still sucks that leopardon completely jobbed out.

To be fair, he went down fighting a super powerful vampire, that had just absorbed the Enigma Force/Captain Universe energy and bought everyone enough time to escape.
It's not like he died for nothing.

Personally I thought this issue moved the overall plot along well. (Got the heroes moving, setup a weakness for the badguys, explained the Prophecy stuff a bit and indicated the villains had a goal other than "eat people.")

Also there was Spider cowboy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I did an interview for MTV News about Punk Spider-Man/Spider-Punk/whoever with a couple of the pages from tomorrow's book previewed-

I guess he's also going to be in the Unlimited game, so that's neat too.

I have to say, making the O in the Oscorp logo look like the OCP symbol from Robocop is a genius move. Very well done.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

Why does the Anne Rice Fanclub suddenly want to go all multiversal genocide on their food supply all of a sudden?

This one has been explained in the series.

The Anne Rice Fanclub have a prophecy that eventually the Spider-Totems are going to unite and rise up and permanently kill all of them....some 1,000 in the future.
They have found a loop hole which is that if they can combine the blood of the Scion, the Bride and the Other into a ritual they can stop any more Totems from coming into being naturally. Ergo there will be no totems 1,000 years in the future to kill them.

On the flip side, the smartest of the Inheritors (Jennix) has decided that to get around the problem of starving to death, he has been experimenting with a method of cloning Spider-men that would still allow them to have a Totemic Essence that they could eat. (As he says, Farming of animals is what makes men Civilized.)

It would be funny if the end prophecy was that the Inheritors triumphed, wiped out the Spider's but ended up dying a slow painful death over 1,000 years due to the corrupting influence of their fake synthetic totem meals. However that's pretty dark, so i think a better ending is for Peter and the gang to raise an army of Spider-people and to take down the Inheritors that way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, did they forget they can eat other kinds of totems? Like the very first Morlun story is just him looking for animal totems, not Spiders in specific.

I think the Inheritors felt that a "Black Panther-verse" story was just going to end like the Black Panther: Civil War tie in. And they didn't want that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's Secret Wars 3. Secret Wars 2 was Spidey teaching the Beyonder how to use a toilet, and also some other stuff.

It's Secret Wars 4. Secret Wars 3 was a storyline in the Fantastic Four where the Beyonder and Molecule Man do the Fusion dance and become a Cosmic Cube.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

"So, we're going to exile you to this radiation filled hellhole when radiation is extra-lethal to you kind."

"Also since you're lacking any food source to devour you're pretty much going to source to death. "

"But we didn't kill you! Aren't we merciful.

Man this ending sucked.

To be fair, they were also a set of bad guys, that would respawn every time they died. Sure they thought blowing up the clone factory would fix that, but the Crystal thing with Solus shows they had plenty of tricks when it comes to cheating death.
The imprisonment/ slow death is most likely the only option that will really work.

I get the feeling that the idea was the souped up Leopordian was supposed to blanket the area with Radiation and help allow the Spider's to defeat the Inheritors, but it didn't really come across that clearly.

What's interesting is a preview for post Spider-verse shows a load of Spider's who are going to be part of Secret Wars, one of them is Spider-man Noire. Now, to the best of my knowledge, he died during Spider-woman's adventures with Silk. So there could be a fair number of Resutrections on the table in the Epilogue issue.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, I definitely think that there is still another twist to all this.
For instance with Otto.

I get the feeling that part of the reason that Otto killed the Master Weaver is that he knows his fate is to lose and be replaced by Peter when he returns to his time line. Maybe he figures killing the Master Weaver will have the effect of making everything mutable and giving him control over his own fate again.
I would not be at all surprised if the Superior Spider-man makes it out of Spiderverse with a continuation of his story.

Or maybe during Secret Wars Hickman will pull a "the Kree are alive/the Anhilatio wave is back/ Scott Summers has a Phoenix Egg" and say that Otto is on Battleworld.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

You're both right. And I bought them both because I'm a sucker for War Machine and neither was ever anything but subpar. (Iron Man 2.0 was egregiously bad because when you're writing a story about a guy called War Machine, whose whole gimmick is "having a suit designed to wreck poo poo harder than Iron Man" the best story to write with him is not a mystery where the final boss ends up being nanomachines and no one really gets wrecked)

What about a story arc where War Machine is a literal cyborg who is constantly bombarded with images of war crimes being committed to him 24/7 and those make him want to fly around and end all wars? Have him fight Ultimo, who can only be defeated by having Norman Osborn defeat him by showing that even he isn't 100% pure evil?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

And when Spider-man is cancelled for low sales, THAT will be conclusive proof that it happened because one time a character talked about fridging!

Least we forget this all occured during Spider-verse, a story which was about finding a way to get every iteration of Spider-man ever involved in one story.
And when you start bringing in non-comic versions of a character into a comic story, the fourth wall has to get punched as part of the joke.

If you are putting in the movie Spider-man(s) you have to make a joke about how they look like Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield. Since otherwise how will the audience know which iteration of Spider-man you are talking about?
The same for Newspaper Spider-man, Capcom Spider-man or Ultimate Animated Spider-man.
The story was always going to have elements of fun in it. It's not like in the middle of a serious domestic violence storyline, Gwen makes fridging jokes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Little Mac posted:

I can't remember any times he's mentioned the Spider-Mobile at all...

Apart from it appearing once in the Human Torch/Spider-man mini?
It makes an appearance in Spider-verse where it is a talking, living vehicle ala the 1970s Hannah Barbera cartoon, Speed Buggy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

They've been franchising the poo poo out of Spider-Man, going global is a smart move. Bringing back Spider Punk would be nice as well.

Even some of his villains want to be a part of the Spider-man franchise.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like the natural endpoint for this direction is Alchemax buying Parker Industries and getting one stop closer to being its 2099 megacorp self

That would actually be a really cool twist.

In that Spider-man ' s actions inspired and created the greatest hero of 2099. While at the same time, Peter Parker ' s actions created arguably one of it's greatest threats.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

rear end pregnancy? Wasn't that a plot point from that Frankie Boyle/Mark Millar comic?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Little Mac posted:

Hi, I'm here to talk to you about Megamorphs.

Megamorphs ruled and I'm glad it's coming back in Web Warriors.

Thank you. This has been the first post about Megamorphs in a decade. That's my time.

The Megamorphs are in Web Warriors? This I gotta see!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Also shouldn't Spider-man's web shooters not work underwater? If so that's a neat idea.

I loved that Annual. The Sinister Six make Spidey take them on in six Lion's Den matches. And he wins.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lobok posted:

Before Norman came back I doubt there would have been a Spider-Man fan who questioned Ock being Spider-Man's greatest enemy. I get the feeling Slott wanted to go back to that.

The only other contenders would be Hobgoblin, Venom, and Harry. Even in the 80s though when the answer might be Hobgoblin or Harry there were some big Dr. Octopus appearances. The storyline with him, Owl, and Black Cat was great. The sense of dread in the lead up to Spider-Man having to protect Black Cat at the hospital when he knows Ock is coming back to finish her off sticks with me from when I first read those issues over ten years ago.

That's something truly unique about Spider-Man.

He has a really great, diverse group of enemies and super villains. But he doesn't have any unarguable number 1 arch-enemy. I mean with Batman, everyone excepts it that the Joker is his number 1 villain. With Superman it's Lex Luthor.

But Spider-Man? He has at least three definite contenders for the crown (Norman, Otto and Eddie) and who knows someone else could come along and become the definitive Spider-man villain for years to come. And that adds something special and unique to Spider-Man stories that any villain can feel like a threat. And not just some also-ran who are holding the place before the big guy comes back.

I that I think only the Flash comes closest to out of any Superhero.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lobok posted:

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

While Flash does have a number of super fast rogues (and at least one who has Time Manipulation powers dressed up as super speed) he's got guys like Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Heat Wave, Grodd, Abra Kadabra and Captain Boomerange who are all legitimate threats and do so without super speed.

And of course his greatest Rogue, the Top.
No one tops the Top.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lobok posted:

We'll never know for sure but I would hope that Goblin's identity was not that important to Ditko. I figure it was more like Ditko kept wanting the stories to go one way and Stan kept saying no and this particular time was just the last straw.

Also, Goblin identity stories never go well. Norman's reveal cost them Ditko, the Bart Hamilton reveal was lame, Hobgoblin was a decade-plus clusterfuck of a mystery that pleased nobody... Does Menace count as well? She's not exactly a counter argument either.

Don't forget during Mackie's (shudder) run where there was a Green Goblin and Norman Osborn mystery going on for ages....

The resolution was Norman had kidnapped a homeless guy, filled him full of drugs and made him be the Green Goblin.

There was also the run in Thunderbolts where a Norman get's one of his T-Bolts (a executioner guy who I think was called the Headsman.) to pretend to be the Green Goblin as part of a PR spin so Norman can go "See! He was trying to kill me! I was never the Green Goblin!" The beauty of this plan was it was supposed to end with the Headsman dying when his glider malfunctioned but one of the other T-Bolt's fixed it so that this guy could be kept around.

And that character (The Headsman) was introduced in Kurt Busiek's pretty great 90's retro Spider-Man series called the Untold Tale's of Spider-Man, where he was a criminal who Norman Osborn supplied gadget's to that would later become Green Goblin weapons. Which was a nice way of closing the loop.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Gentlevillains Prefer Blondes.

But Anti-heroes marry Brunettes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah but it's a moment that is big enough that the impact finding out about it has on Peter is a story that should be told.

It's like if you had a comic where Batman has killed the Joker and no issue where it shows the reason why Batman made that decision. (This basically happened in Final Crisis. And that's one of the reasons why I hate that story so much.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TheHan posted:

Ignoring the incredibly childish plan of nobody dies forever, my least favorite thing about this issue was Spidey spoon feeding Jackal that red suit comment to set up his dramatic reveal.

I am going to just say that over elaborate setup's that result in lines like "This suit isn't red. It's more Scarlet..." are one of the things I love most about comics.
Long may they reign.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

it was like the perfect mj casting

and yea they chose the redhead for the blonde and the blonde for the redhead. it's just funny to me, idk

They cast Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen in Rami's third movie and she is a natural red head too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Technically (although this was a change made for the movie) Blade is British.
Or if he was filling out the census form White/Black British.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Nope, both blondes.

That said, if I was casting a Spider-Man movie (an adaptation of Newspaper Spider-Man naturally) Emma Stone would be my first choice for MJ.

But Bryce Dallas Howard is a natural red head.

I do agree with you that Emma Stone is perfect and should be in more superhero movies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I get the deliberate mockery of the sword instead of Cap's shield and Zemo literally draping himself in the flag, but it's a bit too on the nose for me.

Don't forget that Citizen V's mask was a big V too.

What I loved most about Citizen V was he was a Made up character with a made up background that Zemo made up*, and then it turned out that there really was a dude with that backstory. What are the odds?

*= So Zemo's dad kills the original Citizen V, gangsta style. And Helmut figures he'd take that guy and just pretend to be his Grandson. Since that sounds legitimate, if really hard to verify.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 10, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody bothering to write the faceoff between Peter and Jonah makes a lot more sense in retrospect since everyone knew that genie was going back in its bottle in like 6 months' time.

Man, I wish they hadn't done that. Public Spider-man would've made for a lot of great storytelling opportunities.

It was PAD who wrote Jonah and Peter's face off. It happened in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man. They hop into a boxing ring and Peter let's Jonah physically wail on him. While they verbally rip into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Didn't he? I remember something from around then when Peter clowned Norman. Like a super definitive win.

There was the issue of the List (written by Slott ) where Peter steals a hard drive of all sort of super evil stuff Norman was doing.
It was supposed to be the beginning of the end and was supposed to pressure Norman into invading Asguard.

Bendis of course ignored it.

• Locked thread