Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

"Not completely terrible" is basically the only requirement for a Democratic candidate to get elected in the populous parts of California. Kinda wish we had higher standards but when the other options are rightwing shits it pretty much guarantees them a win, unless they like, ate a baby or something.

e: if a candidate whose general description was "More rights for women and gays, continued corporate fuckery but maybe some anti-prop 13 statements, also ate a baby" ran against "deport all the immigrants, lower taxes on the rich and stymie road maintenance and other civic goods" I'd vote for the baby eater nine times out of ten.

e2: Fat Bastard for Governor 2020

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Once every few months I gather some non-smoker friends and hightail it down to Mexico. They get cheap duty-free booze, I get each of them to carry a carton. Win-win, except for my organs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm all for a cigarette ban imo. Could probably make bank smuggling 'em.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We should ban assault cigarettes and extended packs imo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

stone cold posted:

:ohdear:

hoist with my own petard

literally translated that means you got lifted by your own fart, a fine metaphor for politics in general

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was working a public hearing in Carson when the city council was gearing up for some kind of vote about it and lemme tell you, there are a lot of people who don't see any difference between weed and meth. Most of them are over 40 and have the time to show up to a city council meeting at 10am on a Wednesday.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

god bless our weed laws

without them dealers would be out of work, but instead we got dudes openly slinging at the rosa parks/willowbrook metro station, literally just shouting like carnival barkers that they have weed and their price per ounce

and still old church ladies give me the side-eye for knocking back a couple airline shots

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How is it taxed if you buy it from a dealer?

Everyone I know who smokes just gets it from a weed man

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're being an rear end in a top hat and I'm not sure you actually comprehended anything they wrote

California's education system strikes again

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

What the gently caress
the diss was intended to land on filthyimp but I reckon I hosed it up,

something something layers of irony so i win at this poo poo somehow

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO GAVIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwHqLtK_TpY

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Sup District 42 buddy.

I think 42 will flip eventually, but it going to be tough. Calvert still covers a lot of the lovely parts of the IE but this entire region is getting bluer. If you look at 42 specifically, dem vote share has been growing the past few elections

Julia Peacock is currently the strongest Dem challenger.

http://peacockforcongress.com
https://mobile.twitter.com/peacock4ca42

There are a bunch of peacocks in the IE, right? Easy photo-op.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

And thus we begin discussing whether those unsafe jet skis should be able to continue white lining to get around the morning commute on highwaterway 80

I'm just trying to get from Huntington Reef to downtown sub-angeles when a goddamn garbage scow doing like 20 knots, tops decides to cut in front of me. Goddamn central trench assholes

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Here in LA a lot of crowded bus stops are just a sign on the sidewalk.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Prop 14 a few years back. Can't remember which election.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We already got Norms idgi

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah they do. They use them to let people behind them know that once the light finally turns red and the oncoming traffic stops coming they will making an illegal left hand turn on the red.

just as god intended

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's amazing that this is such a well developed unwritten rule only in LA - exactly two cars will make left turns after it's red and everybody knows it and it just seems to work.

I had no idea that wasn't universal.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

The thing is you can still serve more people without hugely increasing congestion by investing in public transportation (and encouraging people to use it). For example, a fleet of buses that can hold 40+ people each could serve as many people as a new lane without the construction costs, and it'll be better for the environment.

The real strength of a solid public transit system is that you can drink on your way to work. If we really advertised that feature I think a lot more people would get on board.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Most people don't have tech jobs where they're allowed (encouraged, based on what I've heard) to drink, I think

So what? Neither have I but unless a foreman comes around and sniffs your breath when you clock in you're good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Vacaville

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Every building in Southern California is either gratuitously overpriced, falling apart, or both. Enjoy your stay!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Of course there is! It's just in places where no one in their right mind would want to live.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Of the many, many mistakes the politicians and voters have foisted on us, the Plastic Bag Ban and Tax is easily the most nefarious, hateful, and directed. No longer are Californians able to go to the store without wondering: Will this be it? Is it my time? I, too, have had this worry. Like many of those gathered here, I have bought groceries. I know, I know, we all have servants to do this, but I find a perverse pleasure in buying my own home goods. Who can hate the lovely can of Cambell's soup? The joyful Ziplock? The gregarious Pedigree Dog Chow? It was with these images in mind I went to the store to fulfill my addiction to plastic bags. As I gathered my hard won resources the worry crept in. I looked to my right hand and saw it held naught but a 24 rack of Bud Light Lime. I looked to my left and saw it grasping a single Hungry Man frozen dinner. Ignoring the growing terror in my throat I approached the cashier. Would this be my time of ending? With a detached mind, I saw them sweep my food across the scanner. I saw them look down the belt, then at me. I saw them mouth the words, those terrible words. I nodded. I paid. I am humiliated, a mere husk of what I had been. I knew then that the government had gone too far, that our freedoms had been curtailed. The divine right of kings had been abrogated and humanity now wanders in the dark, ready to die from whatever blow strikes us.

When we banned the Bags, we banned ourselves.

I'm cheap enough that if I forget a bag I'll whip off my jacket and turn it into a sad lumpy kinda-bag thing but at least that way Big Bag won't see ONE GODDAMN DIME of my HARD EARNED MONEY

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh sure, move the LA Times out of their fortress building.

We’ll see how great of an idea that is when it gets bombed by anarchists again.

that's what makes it a great idea

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

here's the website for one of them

https://www.themedici.com/

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

a sink that gives itself rimjobs?

stone cold posted:

which one was the one that got torched during construction, that ruled

this one, and yeah that was pretty rad

https://www.thedavinciapts.com/

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

State-wide rent control

there i said it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mass cannibalism is probably the only sensible policy for California.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

turn san bernardino into a reservoir?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This trek kelly sure seems like a fun du-

quote:

Before his first year, Trek traveled to Jerusalem where a half-blind beggar chose 12 countries for him, he then spent a month in each of these countries, symbolically delivering a key to the most inspiring 12 individuals he encountered. The second year, curious about solitude, he lived in a hogan and was a shepherd on and off the Navajo reservation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Thunder_Kelly

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If we just space out gay marriages to maybe 1/2 per week near that fault we should be safe

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ranked-choice is simple: pick the candidate you want the most for 1, the candidate you want the second most for 2, then rank the rest by how funny their names are, 3-whatever

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

California politics update: I'm in a city council meeting and it smells like old people

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's a funny way to say the People's Republic of Los Angeles

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Neither name means too much to me. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

What does this mean?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Wouldn't the arrest warrant not only for him but his wife be the first real indicator of said turbo fuckedness?

That's odd. Under California law you can't arrest a husband and wife for the same crime.

e: I have the worst loving attorneys

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 22, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

that's gonna be great when the room is both on fire and underwater at the same time

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bawfuls posted:

More money for solar panels and wind kites and wave energy is great but even if all of those technologies are gangbusters we still need large scale energy storage to manage the transient nature of renewable production and consumer demand. Fund me you fuckers :argh:

replace Fresno with a gigantic flywheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

fermun posted:

That's how Canada did it, Saskatchewan implemented single payer, and other provinces saw how popular it was and began implementing their own, all provinces had all added their own single payer system after 10 years, then they implemented the national healthcare system to standardize all the province single payer systems.

the united states will never standardize anything like that, we haven't even managed to standardize drivers' licenses. here in CA we may manage to get a sensible healthcare system by 2050 but when Mississippi implements theirs it'll be a "get sick and the state a no-bid contractor will euthanize you and bill your survivors for the bullet" kinda deal