Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jaxyon posted:

Right, I'm saying that LA could really use high density housing on top of public transit.

It won't get it though.

Basically all of the area west of the 405 and north of the 10 could be converted to mixed use 4-6 story (I forget the height limit on wood frames) and it would be awesome. I live in a much smaller city right now and it’s built that way and it’s much better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

West of the 405 and north of the 10 is some of the wealthiest parts of LA.

If that's why you're picking it, hell yeah I'm fine with bulldozing Brentwood.

There was a plan for adding huge density along Wilshire some decades ago.

Yeah, generally speaking, we should be replacing low density-high value single family homes with taller buildings. It is the only way out of this mess that I can think of: build more housing where people want to live, not in Valencia. While we're at it, throw in Bel Air and Beverly Hills and I'll drive the dozer myself.

The Wilshire corridor near UCLA looks like someone had a plan and then chickened out just after crossing the 405 to the west (Barrington Plaza and those brown office buildings come to mind) and certainly when approaching Beverly Hills to the east.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Kill Bristol posted:

Fake edit: stupid question, but does anyone know what the gently caress the dabbing unicorn in my previous post is a reference to? Loretta Sanchez? That’s the only thing I can think of. It’s been bothering me all day.

It is a reference to CA Republicans being rare.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a War on Thanksgiving now? Who won the long-running War on Christmas? Is Santa finally dead?

Autoerotic asphyxiation in 1892. Sorry.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The Clitoris posted:

This happens to me all the time because I'm in Oil and Gas. I get a ton of Trumperism and global warming denialism on the beat. It sucks, and I hate it.

A peak :ssh:
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-03-05/deserted-oil-wells-los-angeles-toxic-fumes-cleanup-costs

That's strange, I would have assumed they'd never even seen you.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

cali burrito top pick:

rf beans
rice
light pico to make room for ketchup
fries
light guac

-

This is some serious NorCal poo poo right here. Rice and beans are filler.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

confused posted:

Reminder: residential water usage is like 10%. The issue, fundamentally, is all about agriculture. Unfortunately, this drought is going to be the new normal. Unless we, as humans, go full bore fighting climate change right now, in 30 years CA is going to look like AZ. Politically, the question is, "When do you admit that agriculture is dying in CA?"

https://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf/JTF_WaterUseJTF.pdf

For those who want more trivia on this. The "sector" level breakdown on water in CA is 50% to the environment, 40% to agriculture, and 10% to urban. Further still, half of that urban water usage goes to landscaping. If you don't have a farm, golf course or lawn, there is basically nothing you can do to help with water usage in CA as you simply don't use enough as it is. I guess you could be a weirdo who leaves their shower on all day to keep ghosts from coming up the drain pipe, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

This is why you see signs on the 5 telling you to support dams. The only bigger water-user than the farms is the environment, and they want that water. They aren't dumb enough to tell you to use less water, because they can't get much from you even if you cut a great deal.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sorry, my state is low on water all year every year.

Your personal water use it almost totally irrelevant, unless you have a lawn. Don't water that poo poo.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Panfilo posted:

What's the ratio of water use to state tax revenue with almonds?

Agriculture in general uses 40% of the water and makes up less than 2% of CA GDP. Almonds are $5.6 billion/year, so a small part of the CA economy. Based on those numbers, I'd be surprised if agriculture as a whole was a useful amount of revenue for the state, to say nothing of just almonds.

Agriculture was "nearly $50 billion" in 2018. California GDP was $3 trillion in 2020, and it shrank that year.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I honestly kind of do feel this way about the night sky. I recently moved to LA County and the amount of light pollution is insane to me. On a good night I can see maybe a dozen stars, and the constant sky glow makes my brain think it's twilight all night, which has a noticeable impact on my sleep patterns. Research shows that this amount of light pollution is terrible for people and for animals but no one in LA seems to care, or maybe even know what they are missing.

Ohh, we care. But what are we supposed to do about it?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Well, LA County could always pass light pollution laws and install dark-sky friendly outdoor lighting. Putting limits on the brightness of billboards and store signs would be great, too (there are some near me that I can read from literal miles away). And also, we could give people some money to retrofit their outdoor lighting to be dark-sky friendly. This link shows what some other legislatures have done.

I get that we have lots of other stuff to worry about here in LA, but I do also think that part of the problem is that residents seem like they are all just kind of used to the level of light pollution, so it's not a priority to fix it.

I’m with you on all of this. In addition, I’d like noise levels on streets (not just just freeways) enforced (none of those loud motorcycles and so forth). In fact, I’d like the freeways closed after 10 or 11 PM until the morning. Light pollution isn’t the only problem in LA at night.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 16, 2021

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
As long as we are wishing for a better LA, can we have parks that are used for things other than homeless encampments and dog toilets?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

also this is literally the gas emissions version of the we should ban pools and lawns thing lol. someone find the state 2020 water use pie chart where residential use (including pools and lawns and laundry) was like 2% of total usage lol.

i understand where you're coming from but the first step to solving many of these problems seems to be 'bring back the ELF' and 'punish planned obsolescence with the death penalty'

This is sort of beside your point, but landscaping is 5% of water usage in CA (from that chart). It is equal to all other "urban" water usage. Relevant to this page (I think) is, when cities want to cut back on water usage, they should start with landscaping.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

So I, uh, guess NorCal's fire season is done...

It'll turn out that PG&E is insulating its new lines with phosphorous or some other crazy nonsense to save $5 this year and we'll get burning water.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Fill Baptismal posted:

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/status/1454181222855299077?s=20

It would be hilarious is this was what got SB NIMBYs to be ok with normal apartment buildings. Just threaten them with The Cube whenever they complain about views or neighborhood character.

UCLA built a bunch of graduate student housing and then didn’t pay grad students enough to live there and then got mad we weren’t living there and then the department got mad they had to start paying us more or they’d loose their share of housing. At least that was the case in my department. The rental cost was more than our take home.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Weyburn terrace?

Yep!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

The vaccine lottery could be a good idea if you thought that the main reason people weren't getting the vaccine was because they were dumb and/ or lazy, but it doesn't work too well if the main reason people are holding out on the vaccine is because it's a deep state 5G microchip that tracks you and makes you magentic and changes your DNA

Or you think it is a way to infect the population with AIDS and malaria.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Sydin posted:

Granted it's one of the highest prices in the city but I drove by SJ City Hall today and the station kitty corner to it had no gas under $5, premium up to $5.69 :lol:

There is a station 2 blocks from me in Los Angeles charging $5.87 for something.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Barbara Lee is great, but she's in her seventies. He'll pick someone younger and way more corrupt. Breed seems like the obvious choice.

Please, no more mummies.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
I like this disingenuous headline from CNN on water use in CA: As California's big cities fail to rein in their water use, rural communities are already tapped out . The clear implication is supposed to be that city dwellers are self indulgent wastrels using more water than they need, but buried about halfway down they talk to the people in these communities who know exactly what is up:

quote:

Ruth Martínez, who lives in the small, unincorporated town of Ducor in Tulare County, has been advocating for clean water for decades. In the town of roughly 600 people, mostly Latino residents, their drinking water had been contaminated with nitrate, which is typically caused by the fertilizer used in agriculture.

quote:

Martínez, a member of Ducor's water board, says she's been fielding concerns from her neighbors who want to know what the government is going to do. She tells CNN that residents there blame agriculture and industry for exacerbating the crisis by pumping more groundwater, despite dwindling supply.

Briggs, whose family farm is in Tulare County, also points to nearby dairy farms that he says have been drilling deeper wells and pumping more water out of the ground, which leaves less water for residential use.

Seems like a better headline would be "Agriculture drinks deeply from the wells of some residents, while poisoning the wells of others."

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Don’t we have several unpopular former LA mayors we can dragoon into the job?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I wish we could remove all at-grade crossings for Caltrain, and in the process also eminent domain all of Atherton

Absolutely not. Atherton is a cesspool of the worst kind of people. Wall the whole thing off and open it up again in a year when they are all gone. Then eminent domain the whole thing.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

I'm a renter :)

Same.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

I just wish I could put this acre of low-pitch roof to good use and have guilt-free cooling :(

Guilt-free cooling is easy, just turn the knob to the temperature you want and go do other stuff inside the place which is now the temperature you like.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

hekaton posted:

Couldn't you use this exact reasoning to justify littering? The personal impact of an empty bag of McDonalds, which is basically just paper anyway, when thrown out the window on the freeway is a drop in the bucket. Compared to a fly ash spill its less than nothing and needling people to hold onto their filthy trash until they can get to a garbage bin is going to turn people off the environmental movement, not to mention how unsanitary it is in this age of pestilence.

Its a really gross sentiment that allows you to eliminate all personal responsibility for your actions, just because you don't see the impact cause its taking place far away doesn't mean its not doing real and measurable harm.

Littering is not a systemic issue about how modern American society designs its transportation, power, and housing infrastructure. To take your argument to its ridiculous conclusion, anyone who drives a car powered by fossil fuels (ICE or EV) is doing harm to the environment and should stop immediately, even if it means losing their job from lack of attendance. Or to go even further, the carbon footprint of the average American is 16 tons/year. The carbon footprint of the average European is 8 tons/year. Half of the American's footprint is totally beyond their control and individual action will do nothing to reduce it. So, in order to reduce the extreme damage to the environment you cause by just existing, you should kill yourself. (This is obviously a reductive argument, I don't want anyone to kill themselves.)

The next part of this argument is then going to be about what temperature is a "reasonable" setting and for who. Opinions on this are going to vary widely and it is largely intractable, because while we are arguing 74 vs 78 (or whatever) Ted Cruz is singing the praising of bitcoin mining in Texas. The solution is to fix the systemic issues of transportation and power generation through fossil fuels as well as housing. Your AC setting will do nothing in those arenas.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

alternatively, not every argument in the world needs to be treated as a slippery slope and immediately taken to its "ridiculous conclusion"

there is nuance between "use all fossil fuels" and "use some fossil fuels"

I don't think climate change can be solved by hoping individuals all make good choices, but the rhetoric where individual choice is thrown out altogether seems like it's justifying nihilism.

I think you are confused? I’m saying individuals should have the choice to set their thermostat to whatever temperature they prefer and not feel guilty about it. No one in this thread/forum is personally responsible for the systemic use of fossil fuels in America.

Nor do I believe in nihilism/nothing matters. But your thermostat setting definitely doesn’t matter. You can do anything from changing your voting pattern to engaging in ecoterrorism (not recommended) and that will be more consequential then pushing your thermostat up a few degrees.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm living on a fixed income of 20,000 a month I simply cannot handle more taxes. But THEY CAN

“Fixed income” is one of those euphemisms I just don’t get. My income is fixed, too. I can’t just tell my boss my salary has gone up with costs or anything like that.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You have the possibility of OT, promotion, raises.

Not quite the same as counting on the $800 SS check every month.

At least, that was the traditional wisdom. Everyone now is like "goddamn 3 days to payday and I have $16 in my checking let's goooo dollar menu!"

withak posted:

I always figured the “fixed” meant that you had no say in what it was and no option to try to increase it like you could if you were working and campaigned for a raise/promotion or looked for a better job.

Retired people can get another job, too. My pet theory on this is that "fixed income" is a euphemism for "poor old person" but, if we went around saying all our old people are poor, someone might get it in their head to do something about it.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Kenning posted:

We should be able to vote on 25 people per election cycle who have a net worth above $20 million who can be freely hunted for sport.

And you get to keep what you kill.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Smythe posted:

thank you for the advice Colin

Your other mouth.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Smythe posted:

It’s wet

rear end pussy

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

jokes posted:

How would you characterize the cum you've sniffed

It smells like pancake batter.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Who cares what flag their city is flying? For all I know LA could have been flying the ISIS flag for the past year.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I agree with the man at 1:15. They should take down the american flag

Who is forcing that guy to genuflect in front of the pride flag? Is his dad still alive? What is the pride flag pledge?

I pledge allegiance to the chads
with the biggest dicks in America
and to the vaginas
our girlfriends smash...

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Oakland Martini posted:

That's crazy. In my field (economics), graduate students work at most 20 hours per week as TAs and/or RAs. In my department, grad students are paid for 20 hours per week, but very rarely have to work anywhere close to that. I'd say my TAs work 5 hours per week on average, and my RAs maybe 10. They also receive stipends on top of their TA/RAships.

They obviously spend a lot more time working on problem sets (in the first two years) and working on their own research (from year three onward), but this shouldn't be counted as work for which they ought to be paid.

Things in your field might get fuzzy if the 60 hours per week in the lab results in coauthorships on journal articles. That's incredibly valuable for graduate students and should be viewed as part of their compensation. In my field, the present value of an article in a top journal is estimated to be in the six-figure range.

You cannot eat your good performance on problem sets or live in the future imputed remuneration from a potential publication. Everything that grad students do in pursuit of their degrees is work that should be paid for today. Academia as a playground for well to-do white men to establish sinecures needs to die quickly.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

bit of an odd one, really not sure what to think feinstein says late husband's trust not paying her medical bills

unreal that someone who's been a public servant for the last 30 years has a fortune this massive, and that apparently the heirs are apparently ready to get into public fights over what amounts to scraps of the whole sum

It could be that she sees her mom as brain dead but still capable of giving away all her inheritance and is worried that some consigliere is going to abscond with what is rightfully hers. In that frame of mind, two of them already have taken $1-5 million.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

DWP is doing OK on pricing AFAIK

My last apartment was right by the freeway, so my windows were shut 100% of the time and even in the months where I ran my AC the whole time my largest bill was less than $80. LADWP is great.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Cursive is fine, but I'm not sure it is an effective use of ELA classroom time. When I was teaching elementary, 7 years ago, reading levels were on the decline. My friends still teaching are constantly telling horror stories of middle schoolers that can barely read.

Phonics isn't being used as much/as heavily to teach reading anymore, in favor of some highly flawed new methods, and in conjunction with various other factors is going to give us a generation that really struggles with literacy and comprehension.

Part of me said “no way” when I read this, but that’s just because I don’t want it to be true.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Labor is more into dill girth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Cut all [limits on] taxes, repeal environmental law [restraints], bulldoze the libraries suburbs

I guess I’m a republican now.