Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm wondering if this crisis could help support of SB 562.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
"Gov. Newsom announces 90-day California mortgage payment grace period"
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Gov-Newsom-announces-90-day-California-mortgage-15157133.php?t=c36830038e

Now we need a rent grace period.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ntan1 posted:

CA just overrode their previous stat and says that a minimum of 66800 tests have been conducted in the state of CA.

This is a doubling of the 32,000 and due to the fact that private hospitals were not reporting negative cases until yesterday.

This is good news. Do you have a article for that? I'm curious how many new cases have been added from that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

This is incredibly regressive without doing rent as well

:agreed:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

TheAgent posted:

I'd expect this soon, otherwise its rioting in the streets in less than 40 days

or just a total default as several million people are unable to leave their apartments or pay rent or find a job and california goes "well, we aren't enforcing any evictions until 2021 at the earliest"

Seriously. If the landlord doesn't have to pay their mortgage, having the renter pay rent is just stupid.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 26, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Hollywood not account for a lot of that or does it get underreported because of Hollywood accounting? Like I imagine it's a not insignificant percent of the entertainment industry, but maybe I just get lost amidst all the billion dollar box offices and whatnot.

Well here's a graph from Wikipedia

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

:guillotine:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

From what I've seen in Oakland, most people are SIP, and maybe half of the people I see out and about are wearing masks in shops. Maybe 1/10 wearing masks outside.

Lots of people doing dumb poo poo like crowding around Lake Merritt though.

Well it is Lake Merritt, there's probably a lot of people like me that just take a walk around it every day for lunch or after work to break the tedium.

Also yeah I'm not bothering with masks or face coverings. I wear gloves, wash my hands when I get home, wash produce and move takeout into different containers before eating. It's not a rigorous scheme but it doesn't really need to be - that's why we have SIP. The goal is not to avoid ever getting the virus, but to move back when you get it as much as possible.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I'm glad that they're mandating businesses give employees masks, but where is everyone else supposed to get masks? If some random business that managed to worm its way into being "essential" closes because they can't provide employees masks, then ok.

But some people still have to go outside for groceries. I would like the mask requirement more if Riverside had some plan for distributing masks outside of the market (which is clearly not up to the task).

E: the language is vague - just "face covering". So I imagine people could come up with ad hoc solutions.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 5, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Green Party are a gaggle of anti-vax, anti-nuclear power, anti-science, pro-woo numbskulls. Do not vote for them even if you think Biden sucks.

Yeah... I would prefer the DSA put up their own candidate.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

https://youtu.be/KqOsrniBooQ

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ugh why are we having generalchat discussion here, it doesn't matter. California is going blue. The electoral delegates are already guaranteed. I'm not voting Biden, and no one here is obliged to either.

BUT do vote downballot, and do vote for props. That's still relevant and important. If you show up to vote for any reason do so for that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

krysmopompas posted:

People dying from covid in san quentin because cop kamala threw them in there for doing sex work to pay for insulin, food or rent is what you traded for that.

What is the threshold of misery that forces you to reject a personal gain?

What exactly was the alternative? This seems like a false dichotomy.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I agree that organization and direct action are the best way to get change at the local level and eventually the state and federal. We all ought to be participating.

However, ignoring electoralism entirely seems to me a bad strategy. We only need to look at the situation with the virus right now to understand that our governors, reps, and senators do matter. I can only imagine what hell we would be in right now with Cox.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

But if you're already doing direct action and getting poo poo done, fine I could care less if you vote. You're moving the needle more than people who just vote.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Still Dismal posted:

Ambitious politicians doing their job well so that they can advance their career goals is literally the entire idea behind this whole democracy thing, there's not really anything sinister about it.

There are alternative models of democracy that do not produce or require career politicians.

For example, some past democracies have used sortition, or random selection of citizens, to appoint people to office. People appointed were not allowed to be appointed ever again once their term was over. We already do sortition with some public duties like jury duty.

I think it's important to make a distinction between the republican form of democracy we have in the US vs direct democracy.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So how are people doing here? Still employed? Got sick? Got their landlords to suspend rent?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Remember when I said during Hypothetical Succession Chat that it wouldn't be California alone? I said it would be in blocs and we'd invite Oregon and Washington to go with us.

We'll look back on this as the beginning of the Western United States of America. The Stamp Act Congress of the WUSA... :smugbert:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So in the Bay area, there is drive-thru testing in:
- Oakland
- SF
- Berkeley
- Marin county
- Hayward
- Daly City
- San Jose

But it seems like testing is limited to people who are most at risk of getting the virus, like healthcare workers, service workers, people that work at shelters etc. Hayward will test anyone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/oakland-coronavirus-test-site-testing-bay-area-update-california-covid-cases/6081658/

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Why do you keep spelling it ORegon? Because of the state abbreviation?

Welcome to CAlifornia

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So Newsom did a thing:
https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1250506893568512000?s=19

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Undocumented immigrants give way more in their labor then they take in benefits anyway, this seems like the least one could do. Republicans are so entitled.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Jeff Sessions tried to stop legalization but he made the critical mistake of working under Donald Trump

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

As a guy who grew up in SoCal, then moved to Idaho, then moved to Michigan, and now back in Socal, I haven't paid attention to California politics in a few years, but it seems like Gavin is... fine?

I would say one of the best things Gavin could be pushed to do is to enact single payer in California. There is a state commission investigating new potential healthcare systems for California. As they say in their website:

Healthy California for All Commission posted:

The Healthy California for All Commission will work to develop a plan for advancing progress toward achieving a health care delivery system for California that provides coverage and access through a unified financing system, including, but not limited to a single payer financing system. The Commission will prepare an initial report to the Governor and Legislature by July 2020 with a final report in February 2021.

But kind of ominously the commission is not required to propose a single payer system. They could propose a mediocre (albeit better than the current system) public option.

With the general election being between Biden and Trump, single payer is off the table. It would be good for California to demonstrate that single payer works to challenge all these milquetoast Dems asking "wEll HOw dO yOu pAY foR it?"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It can be argued that public healthcare will be best done through state action, and gently caress the feds altogether:

https://youtu.be/U1TaL7OhveM

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I see we moved away from the discussion on calling the cops, but I find it interesting that posters essentially come into alignment with libertarian arguments about law.

The libertarian, by analogy, would argue that you should only make something a law if you're willing to put a gun to someone's head to enforce it. In essence posters arguing that you shouldn't call the cops are making the same argument - the cops could use violent force, and thus you should only be willing to call them if you're ok with someone getting a gun put to their head.

This is not a criticism in the sense of "oh you agree with libertarians you must be wrong durr" but rather an observation.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Incredible that D&D has degraded to the point that they cannot tell anarchist thought apart from libertarian thought.

It's certainly anarchist thought as well. Incredible that D&D has degraded that no one takes on arguments in good faith anymore.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I should probably read Talbot's Season of the Witch at some point

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with a police officer.

The first time I met a police officer it was a friend of the family, LAPD. She bragged about beating a mentally ill man. They had detained the man and he bit one of the officers, so in retaliation they turned off the lights of the police car so no one would see and beat him.

The second time I was in San Diego with my stepmom and we got pulled over by a cop who tried to hit on my stepmom. I don't even think he gave a ticket.

The third time was in LA again, and I was looking for a payphone because my phone had died so I asked a cop if he knew of a nearby payphone. He told me "where the hell would you find a payphone nowadays" and then looked away to ignore me.

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's just bad apples...

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

I decide who I eat based on who is a jackass.

quoted without context

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

Currently posting from the beach in Capitola and it’s open as poo poo. I have never seen more people in the lineup for almost zero waves.

The real pain in the rear end is the city owned parking lots are closed and they’ve limited street parking to one hour and the police are out chalking tires to aggressively enforce it.

Chalking tires is apparently considered unconstitutional in some states:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3549631002

quote:

Taylor's lawyer argued that the city's physical marking with chalk, done to note how long a vehicle is parked, amounted to searching without a warrant — a violation of the Fourth Amendment. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel unanimously agreed.

The city "commences its search on vehicles that are parked legally, without probable cause or even so much as 'individualized suspicion of wrongdoing' — the touchstone of the reasonableness standard," the court's opinion states.

The Fourth Amendment protects against "unreasonable searches and seizures." And the city's chalking of cars "to raise revenue" does not qualify as a public safety concern that could allow a search without a warrant, the court said.

The court's decision affects Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 24, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

droll posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people

Low-info voters and businesspeople (not mutually exclusive). I once overhead a product manager talk to another about how "awesome" Bloomberg's social media campaign was

E: also when canvassing I saw a few people that told us they were voting for him because they saw his ads and that was all they knew about him, again low-info

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 28, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

That underlies a more basic point that we should just have UBI instead of the stupid UBI with strings attached we have with unemployment. Being unemployed for any reason should not be a death sentence.

And also these Republicans are evil as hell. Seriously, it's hard to get a new job already and then they decide to screw workers to the maximum degree with this poo poo.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 29, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Sydin posted:

For those wondering why Musk has chosen now of all times to flip out, it's because he just managed to boost Tesla's stock ahead of today's earnings call last Friday by reassuring investors that manufacturing would all be back to 100% as soon as the SiP ended on May 3rd. Then the very next Monday the Bay Area SiP got extended :allears:

Wow, that is monumentally stupid, it's like magical thinking. The curve hasn't even gone down yet, he could have seen this coming.

I'm surprised investors haven't kicked him out already.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 30, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if people find inventive ways to get fired.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

🎶 Nobody's going surfin'
No surfin' USA

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Can people just relax for a moment outside in America without worrying about being gunned down?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Admiral Ray posted:

Home ownership and inheritance has existed for a lot longer than capitalism.

The idea that you need to have a big stock of liquid assets to survive by yourself in old age is very new in human history, because typically your children and the community cared for you.

And the housing market is very new in human history and unique to capitalist societies.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

You also died 20 years earlier

Eh no, people living into old age was not uncommon. The average age of death stats were skewed by all the infants dying from disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I stand corrected, I should have done some basic research before making that claim.

Nonetheless, my point doesn't change that much. Humans have cared for their elderly for a long time.

E: YouTube link
https://youtu.be/5n7yTEALxNc