Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lemming posted:

And literally all businesses would save money due to not needing to pay for health care for their employees lmfao what a piece of poo poo

you realize by "some businesses" they mean for profit heathcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
it's almost impossible to overstate how clever evil, and perfect prop 13 is to gently caress california, a state with a top 6 world GDP and population of a major country

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I'd actually say I have more libertarian engineer friends than liberal ones.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People said this exact thing about Obama

Except, Obama is a calm normal dude, and Trump is fundamentally unable to be wrong or lose at anything

Not that it's likely, but it's quite a bit more believable under Trump.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cicero posted:

Being a bus driver is a fairly low-skilled job

Not really, it's just that the skills aren't respected or compensated well.

I can look down on codemonkies as well but society gives them a lot of money and they'll start whining in the thread.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, getting one of those accordion buses through clogged streets without constantly hitting cars feels like a freaking miracle some times

There aren't many unskilled jobs. There's just skills that society looks down on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I make a pile of money doing a white collar job you could pick up in 2 weeks.

Your job not being automated yet doesn't mean you have high skills.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

At some level it's tautological: every time a job proves resistant to automation, it will rise in our collective esteem, and every time one proves vulnerable, it will drop.

Sometimes it depends on who's doing it. Computer programming didn't become a prestige job until men took it from women.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I literally couldn't give a poo poo how long their training is. My job training was 2 weeks too, and I'm a techbro, so it's just assumed that I have a valuable skill that deserves loads of money. Bus driving is an unpleasant, unrewarding job that most people do not want to do and it deserves comfortable pay and good benefits -- not just a living wage.

100% this. I am not doing a fraction of the good to society that a decent bus driver is.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
You don't want to know how unhappy the doctors will be with their massive new patient load and fully paid procedures.

You can't imagine how horrible having more customers is for business.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which, again, I am personally fine with, but we have to own "we are going to let some people, who have people that love them, die sooner because we have decided that it isn't worth the cost to keep treating them. (Yay Quality Adjusted Life Year metrics!)"

"Which will be much less people than now but I felt compelled to bring this up for some reason"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
There's numerous ways you could revise Prop 13 to be less awful, like make it only apply to homeowner's primary residences.

The big giveaway of Prop 13 isn't regular folks, who still pay a ton based on their insanely high property values, but businesses for whom property doesn't change hands for decades and thus a golf course in the middle of Beverly Hills pays about as much as a taco bell.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
http://gizmodo.com/insanely-accurate-lip-synching-tech-could-turn-fake-new-1796843610

Welp, this will undoubtedly be working before the next election.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Maybe it will improve transportation infrastructure down there?

That was the major reason we were going for it.

Though pushing it back to 2028 doesn't accelerate stuff by that much.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

It's likely that whatever gains in transportation are made will be irrelevant after a ginormous gentrification wave overtakes the city and makes the $6500 3b/2ba luxury new construction in Little Manila look restrained.

The effect on housing will be interesting to measure for sure.

I am renting the gently caress out of my house for the Olympics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

silence_kit posted:

Before I moved to California, I didn't really understand what people were talking about when they complained about the coastal elite. After I moved to California, I saw that there was a surprising amount of truth to the complaints. Coastal liberals can be incredibly classist and closed-minded in their own ways, two things which they rail against Republicans for.

Yeah it was shocking for me as well, to find out that living near water didn't prevent people from being bad.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, this concerns me directly because I'm having a surgery soon. Should I skip the anesthesia and just chug a bottle of jack Daniels before they get the knives out?

Asking for a friend

Anesthesiologists actually implemented a checklist after some fighting over it, and now less people die in surgery.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

Surprising no one, a bunch of schools, public buildings and streets in Orange County are named after klan members.

Also, Hollywood Forever Cemetery has had a confederate memorial in it as well.

OC Weekly makes it a point to talk about how embarrassingly racist Orange County is as much as possible.

Santee, a suburb of San Diego, is also called Klantee

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Some truth bombs being dropped ITT

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see what's so hard about this: if you did something Really Bad™ then it becomes okay to fabricate evidence for the sentencing hearing to make sure you get the maximum penalty.

How do we know if what you did is Really Bad™ and it's time to sentence you with fake evidence? Easy that's up to the DA to decide!

It's fitting, because it's like most people I know against the death penalty.

"I don't support the death penalty but in this case I do because it was Real Bad"

Then you don't oppose the death penalty, dipshit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

So I wonder what the fallout is going to be if it is proved the PG&E was responsible for the current series of wild fires due to failure to comply with regulations about tree trimming near power lines? They've already been severely fined and sued for it in the past, and a lot more discussion in newspapers is pointing them out as a likely culprit

Judging by the last time they killed some people, a slap on the wrist.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Grand Prize Winner posted:

i was unpleasantly exclusionary to the mormon white supremacists

apologies all round!

In my experience i'ts more of a subset thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Panfilo posted:

My brother used to rent a place in Yolo county and tweakers there were like raccoons in that they'd only come out at night, rummage through the trash and communicate in a chittering, squeaking manner. You could be going down a country road with no domicile in thirty miles in either direction and have to swerve to avoid some bug eyed Skeletor of a man with a shaved head and no pants playing hopscotch in the middle of the road in total darkness :stonk:

This is simply sad. Drug addicts need help not scorn.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Long Beach is real mad about higher density, god forbid people be able to afford to live an hour away from LA.

http://www.presstelegram.com/2017/10/20/long-beach-city-planners-go-back-to-the-drawing-board-after-series-of-boisterous-town-halls/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I defaced a sign that basically said "HIGH DENSITY = HIGH CRIME + NO PARKING" a few weeks ago.

Just look at how white that crowd is.

Hint: Long Beach is less than 50% white.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Xaris posted:

Yeah was just about to say drat thats a lot of white people. I have very limited experience, but I've flown in and out of Long Beach a few times, and last time I had some time to kill before our flight out so we walked around "downtown" (lol) LB and it was just a depressing mess. It felt totally like a dead city and the walmart was even closing up with one of the last few days of sales which made it extra eerie and weird.

It's actually become way trendier and gentrified, and real-estate has shot way up. Downtown has a ton of new businesses.

Those people are sitting on houses worth 600k+ that aren't even remotely near the beach and don't want more brown people to come in. They studiously avoid downtown and anywhere else that isn't lily white.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Sorry poor people, we don't understand public transportation or what addiction is but we can't tax rich people or commercial property anymore.

You're just going to have take this one for the team.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've lurked this thread for a long time, but haven't really ever posted. I'm down in Orange County, about a 2 minute drive from the massive homeless encampment along the 57 freeway on the Santa Ana river trail, right next to Angel Stadium and the Honda Center.

A local resident has proposed a plan to create a private "facility" in which homeless people would be charged rent to be able to pitch a tent in a gated parking lot.

You can read about it here.

My favorite part is where she wants to charge homeless people $50/month to rent a locker.

Leave Orange County.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nah, the last thing OC needs is fewer people to vote against the insane poo poo like that. Though you'll probably be priced out of there involuntarily anyway.

Fair. Burn down the white parts of Orange County?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'd love to ban cigarettes but that'll never happen. For the time being, if the rich want to kill themselves while funding parks, education, and social programs... well that sounds awesome to me.

Banning cigarrettes won't work.

Like, they are addictive. This is not hard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Shbobdb posted:

I'm pretty exhausted but wanted to check -- no elections in CA today, right? Life has been crazy but I'd hate to miss a chance to spoil a ballot.

There are, local ones.

ABC Unified School District (General)
Ceres Unified School District (General)
Compton Unified School District (General)
Downey Unified School District (General)
Modesto City Elementary School District (General)
Modesto City High School District (General)
San Bernardino City Unified School District (General)
San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District (General)
Whittier Union High School District (General)
Fontana Unified School District (Special)
El Monte Union High School District (General)

https://ballotpedia.org/California_elections,_2017
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/upcoming-elections/county-administered-elections/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Issa is considered dead man walking as far as reelection

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Illegal immigrants aren't legitimate members of the community. We've created a legal process for those who wish to join the community on a temporary or permanent basis, and they chose to ignore or subvert it. Again, why do see fraud as different if it occurs at one remove? Why is defining "the community" as "people residing in California" morally superior to defining it as "people legally residing in California"?

Oh yeah, gently caress you.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think our border control and immigration systems are legitimate, and their enforcement is legitimate. Everything else flows from that.

It's not. It's a racist system set up specifically to cause this particular situation and it has been for a very long time.

You can tell how much you really care about the illegal immigration situation and rule of law by how much you talk about going after employers who are breaking the law in multiple ways.

:allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

gender neutral bathrooms are cool and good

I've been in several large gender neutral bathrooms central sinks with only stalls and Ally McBeal was both correct and way ahead of it's time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Man if we have universal healthcare in California there's going to be a surge of Mexicans coming across border to get a peace of that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

If only Mexico could provide universal healthcare for its population. It could be, I dont know, some kind of Seguro Popular

If only.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
While we're at it, this is a pretty hilariously bad quote.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Lol, pretty sure there are better things for California to be doing with its budget than subsidizing the homeless program of every other state that would rather buy them Greyhound tickets, even if we could afford it (cue chorus of, "But if we just appropriate all of Peter Thiel's money...")

"LOL, silly liberals trying to help homeless people by taxing absurdly rich people"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

It's this. It simply exacerbates the problems that funding schools via local property taxes creates.

The schools in Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach and Palos Verdes are great.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Duckbox posted:

Meanwhile, San Diego is lovely.

No it's not. I've seen the subhuman racist trash that lives your suburbs.

It's not on fire, but it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

bango skank posted:

Weed soaked in THC oil then rolled in kief. So basically THC crack, yeah.

So what's the outlook for this since Sessions rescinded the Cole Memo today? Are we going to go back in time 10 years to where even the dispensaries that aren't doing shady poo poo are getting raided in the middle of the day?

Probably gonna have a few raids in California because the Trump admin is babies and we're the biggest target.