Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CopperHound posted:

I hope we can offload as much of this bad as possible onto rent seekers.

As of now it is just county orders of "gently caress you, stay home without pay but keep paying the people who aren't actively providing a service to you"

yeah. we should really be pushing for a rent strike if this isn't addressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

like, we could just all stop paying rent at any time. what are they going to do, evict millions of people?

and yeah landlords will take a hit but it's ok: they can also stop paying the mortgages and property taxes on their rentals

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your state? Shouldn't it be good since it's all Democrats in office?

it could be, if democrats were appreciably different from Republicans in any way. alas,

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

also don't forget that california rocketed reagan to the white house as america's great white hope on the strength of him having disarmed the black panthers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

our state legislature and congressional reps are, nearly to a one, landlords. small time, 1-3 unit ma-and-pa-retiree type landlords are no making GBS threads like a solid quarter to a third of the voting base. california housing policy is the quip about democracy being two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner, but irl

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i dont understand why people who want ferrets dont just get a skunk

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

any invasive species in a state with this much agriculture is pretty much always going to be a nonstarter with any politician. nobody wants their legacy to be 30-50 feral capybaras

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I just need a big yard

which basically means I have to move out of California

lol what? this state is lousy with five-acre plots

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Complications posted:

When it comes to dogs, just follow one simple rule: mutts only. Just avoid the inbreeding.

this. puppy mills are for rich people

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

having been piss-poor while living somewhere with completely fare-less, non-means-tested public transit, this can't happen soon enough

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

You just know these fuckers bought rental property they couldn't afford and need rent to be ridiculous to pay their own mortgage.

i mean, yeah, that's always how it works. the tenants pay for everything, including the mortgage

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Evil Robot posted:

any rent > $0 is the landowning gentry exploiting the proletariat

bUt SoMe PeOpLe PrEfEr ReNtInG

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

droll posted:

I actually feel less safe now than I did a month ago. Now I'm worried everyone else is going to throw caution to the wind and spray me with their virus laden droplets because "Governor opened her up, vaccines!, I'm tired of this, it's summer!"

this is exactly what's already happening, yes

we are too dumb to live

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

I've heard people get shots for saying they're "caregivers" because they take care of their aging parents.

why the scare quotes friend

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

all this to avoid just paying people to stay home

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

america isn't going to jail moneyed white people to protect poor nonwhites, we only know how to do it the other way around

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Cool, as usual it looks like I could maybe get like 3 different appointments around San Francisco - but never any where I live in dipshit chud Placer county.

try sutter health. they might still only be doing olds and healthcare workers but it's worth a shot if you already have a chart with them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it may also have something to do with sutter not asking for insurance information. is that typical? when i said my medi-Cal was in another county it just got handwaved away with "that's fine, we don't need your insurance info". i can imagine if uncle sam is footing the bill there's probably very governmental sort of broad, coarse restrictions in place about who can be given it and when

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

AtomicFishStick posted:

That makes more sense. So much for prioritizing vaccines to those with the highest risk of exposure I guess?

the goal is to get everyone working in education vaxxed. the goal is not to wring our hands about the hypothetical ways the system may be abused, or the anecdotes we've heard about someone who knows someone who is on food stamps and totally was buying lobster and cigarettes you guys!!!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if this was going to be a permanent system, or was for something significantly more deadly (think 25% rather than 2%) there would be a case for making it more robust. but generally speaking, if you need to get something done right loving now, simpler is better. putting red tape in front of people inevitably reduces how many people use that thing, and in situations where the percieved personal risk is low and there's an appeal to peoples' sense of altruism, most people can be relied on to use the honor system most of the time.

e: especially considering full vaccination is the theoretical ideal goal here. joe builder getting his a couple months early despite having a questionable connection to education is not a big deal. it is far, far preferable when contrasted with a janitor or student teacher or someone else with direct contact with kids getting stopped by red tape due to language barriers or not having the bandwidth to handle navigating bureaucracy

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Still Dismal posted:

EU: *spends decades and trillions building post-war welfare states*

US: haha vaccination machine go brrr

every vaccination is a stack of government cash in big pharma's hands, so yeah, our system steps to it with a quickness

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

honestly i feel anyone who doesn't give off the wine cave egotist vibes would get people crossing the aisle from either direction. newsom is such a slime. if he wasn't pretty and charismatic he'd have no appeal at all

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm going to keep saying The Rock because it's funny

I'd probably vote for him in a general. if we're going to be stuck with celebrities we could do a lot worse than ones that came up working class and are arguably still petit boug

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I don't think California should keep electing Republican movie stars as Gorvernor

oh wait he's republican? lmao

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, we've had that dumbass "WHY NEWSOM NO PRINT MONEY FOR CALI" argument in here more times than I care to remember.

I'm sure the idiot voting public was like "I'm locked in mah house with no work and Newsome and the LIMOSINE LIBERALS are eating caviar every weekend!" and wondering why we can't open er up like Florida

when the government COULD be paying people to stay home, but chooses not to, and someone is consequently faced with bankruptcy and/or homelessness (depending on where they are socioeconomically) it tends to make them impatient with the rich folks telling them they have to lose everything for the public good while literally dining at one of the most famous and expensive restaurants on earth

e: you can be annoyed with it, but don't pretend it's not reasonable on an individual level

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If Devito becomes governor would he have to stop starring in "It's Always Sunny"? Alternatively, would he still keep starring in it? Because the latter possibility is certainly tempting.

his twin brother will cover for him. his zanily-mismatched, large austrian twin brother

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

workers moving to texas from california is funny because they're the only state that doesn't require businesses to have workmans comp

also in california you get paid maternity and paternity leave, it rules. while texas is trying their hardest to outlaw women's clinics because they sometimes do abortions

and then there's the whole californian protections against noncompete clauses whereas texan employers can basically claim the profits from a book you wrote in your spare time unless you can prove you didn't think about the plot while you were on the clock

lol texas. and my family there doesn't understand why we'd ever consider moving closer, nevermind the whole powergrid debacle that's for sure gonna be annual now

if you imagine someone who cares more about their hobby of collecting and discharging a wide variety of firearms than they do about womens' health it starts to slot into place

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

This is why Nevada’s billionaires make extravagant luxury purchases in Oregon and then have their fine art and exotic doodads trucked in.

At least a trucker's getting paid, i guess

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it isn't perfect but god drat some of the public housing projects in hong kong are amazing. a cluster of a half dozen forty-story buildings right next to hilly open green space. everything in the us just gets covered in a thin layer of mcmansions without leaving a semblance of nature to be seen in any direction

just look at this. why can't we have nice things

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing_estates_in_Tseung_Kwan_O#Kin_Ming_Estate

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Shammypants posted:

I mean.. to a lesser extent, we have that in San Francisco downtown and NYC as well. I've taken elevators a number of times to businesses like this.

the only ones i can think of are inside hotels. this sounds like something different

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I mean I like the helicopter view of these, but I'm looking at real estate listings, and they seem kind of small. For example, three beds and two baths in only 674 square feet.

I'm not saying we shouldn't build something like this, but you're not going to stick as many people in them as you might think you are.

i mean we're already indulging in fantasy just daydreaming about public housing in general, why not

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

What should the state do with incidental landlords (e.g. an only child inheriting their parents house, who presumably has a non-landlord job)? Force a sale? Not trying to argue not all landlords, but it seems like a somewhat different situation than someone buying up properties with the intention to earn their income by being a landlord. An obvious partial improvement would be to repeal Prop 13 so more taxes are paid to go toward other services, but I am not sure how to prevent all landlordism without the state forcing sales and then also prohibiting owning more than one property.

Note, my family has been in the bay area for generations with a chain of a single children on one side so I am literally asking this question for future advice. What should I do? At no point has anyone in my family been rich or above middle class and these are all smaller houses in cheaper working class areas, but just due to a single property per generation getting funneled down at some point I will have multiple properties in the bay area. Charge below market rate since the tax basis is so low? In before guillotine.

it simply should not be legal to own housing that you don't live in

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

iirc a condemned building on a thousand square foot lot went for 400k in SF a few years ago

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

money stolen from others is plenty useful, or people wouldn't do it. the tedium has nothing to do with it and the stolen value has everything

and if you think automation is going to be used for anything under the current system besides consolidating power for the already-powerful, you're a fool

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hi, i used to live on irving street, and it's almost entirely multi-unit buildings owned by small-time landlords who either bought the houses as retirement-investment properties or inherited them. if anyone is fighting development from an address on irving it is highly likely they don't actually live there. the actual residents are overwhelmingly rent-paying workers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Spazzle posted:

No, there is a tower proposed on 26th and irving that the usual whiners are complaining about. There are some terrible graphics saying "out of touch with the neighborhood" with big rings around them I've seen on Facebook. The rings include an 8 story tower across the street from the proposed site.

that stretch of irving west of 19th is a dense area with a lot of shops and restaurants, and a lot of families and old folks, and there's a major streetcar line one block to the south. if there's going to be a big tower of affordable housing plopped anywhere in the sunset that's the place to do it. i hope it succeeds

e: hopefully everything west of 19th being built on sand doesn't cause problems lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

What do you think low income housing actually is? In an area with $3000/mo rents, some place instead offers 2bd. places at $1000/mo? That's a fairy tale.

If there's a big tower of brand new places, there are gonna be 500 units at $3500+ in that same area, and then 100 units at $2800 for means-tested "low income" people. It's still incredibly unaffordable. Whether it's racism or classism or just economics, having rents be based on what people earn isn't even a part of the conversation.

edit: the demand for housing in California is so high that it's basically impossible to build enough housing that it would decrease in value substantially. There are millions of middle class people with more money than the poor, and who also can't afford housing, waiting in the wings to gobble it up first. It's going to take a very radical change to make things different for the poor.

wait you're telling me an 8-story nonprofit housing project isn't going to singlehandedly solve the inequities of housing caused by capitalism??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cicero posted:

It's virtually impossible politically, yes. Practically, with the right change in regulations, it could happen. I'm not an expert, but as an amateur with an interest in this area of government:

* Upzone nearly everywhere. The lowest legal density max should still allow for fourplexes and townhomes and small apartment complexes. Vertical limits near rapid transit stations should be particularly generous, with bigass towers possible in the general vicinity of every BART station or similar. Front yards/setback requirements should be drastically minimized or eliminated. Parking requirements, mostly gone, though if you want to add something about underground parking, that's less bad than surface.
* Streamline CEQA so it doesn't take years to figure out that replacing a surface parking lot with an apartment building is acceptable.
* As of right building: if a project plan meets local regulations, residents and local community councils can't block it on random concerns. Have a problem with how some development might go? Cool, make that a regulation that goes through the normal democratic process, not have it be, "well if enough old angry white people show up at a local meeting..."
* Repeal all of prop 13, or at least all of it minus some kind of 'grandma exception' for primary homes where the person has been there a long time and is income burdened by the property tax increases. Dump all the resulting property tax revenue into building public housing, ideally in conjunction with new rapid transit lines/stops.
* Use value capture on new major transit expansions, pour all that money into public housing too.

And I'm sure actual experts have other ideas that would also help. But even if it was just those five things...I mean jesus, there'd be a shitton more housing, absolutely.

edit: forgot one of my faves

* Metro-level land use and transportation agency with the final word on zoning and major transit projects. Devolving these decisions to specific cities, or worse, specific neighborhoods, has been a total disaster. The metro area level is the smallest unit that makes sense.

this sounds like a wonderful way to have even more useless luxury condos sitting empty all over the bay area

nothing improves without the decommodification of housing. giving developers the power to poo poo five-over-ones wherever they want is not a solution