Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weekend at Bernie's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

She's one of the longest serving Democrats in the Senate, placement on committees, she's currently on five, including appropriations (budget), judiciary, rules, and intelligence (CIA etc) those are some pretty important ones

Of note she was the chair of the intelligence committee for almost a decade, stepped down as chair in 2015/17 depending on how you count that

I would imagine as a senator you wouldn't let go of the intelligence committee chair unless there was a serious problem, wouldn't surprise me if her mental facilities started to let go in the 15/17 period

She's also still chair of the drug war committee, which, probably isn't a bad thing, that was a mistake to begin with and probably best they let her continue to chair it post humously

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think your ability to chair a committee is determined at least in part by how long you've been on that committee, I'm not sure how it works exactly. My guess is that an appointed senator has a pretty low chance of reelectability compared to someone who won the popular vote.

Feinstein started as SF City council, was appointed interm mayor, then won reelection, later was elected to the US Senate so (to me) makes sense to put her on powerful committees since she'll probably be there until she dies (see thread for details)

Democrats will probably put some up and coming person on the new junior seats in intelligence, judiciary etc. Feinstein stepping down means California loses a very powerful voice especially on the judiciary committee, I bet they were hoping to see her chair that one and let California help choose supreme Court justices etc. Even if he appointed CA senator gets on those committees they'll be junior members, barely above observer status.

California also would have, I think, two appointed senators? Probably not good, going from a lvl99 Senate presence to a lvl1 with 100exp standing in half a decade

I would imagine there's probably some prejudice against junior senators who were appointed

This is all wild speculation, I'm not a Senate expert

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 17, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

wait do we live in the same california (or texas i forget is hadlock still in CA?)

I'm back, baby. As of about three weeks ago

If you put on your reading comprehension hat you'll note I was trying to compare two theoretical politicians up for reelection on reelectability, then used feinstein as a prime example of a strong grass roots candidate

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I wasn't sure what happened with his situation. 2022 was a weird year for me

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm not an expert on this

Presumably feinstein is working with Californians interests first and Senate democrats interests second* so there's some kind of synergy between the gubernatorial office back home and the Senate out east and make sure our tax dollars are being routed back to our state, or something

*:lol:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

encephalitis

Encephalitis is swelling of the brain I think, in more extreme cars you're basically nonfunctional besides waking up to use the bathroom and feed yourself. Probably extreme cases are more common as you get older. I'm not a doctor but what we saw today might be close to as good as it gets. Hope she gets better but the fact that they decided to wheel her out last week is probably indicative that they don't have a lot of confidence she's going to improve substantially any time soon

Kind of surprised they even bothered to waste everyone's time hiding it this long

Sydin posted:

The Dem establishment is already on record that they do not give a poo poo as long as they can prop her up on the Senate floor and have her vote with the party. So unless she declines to the point where they can't even do that it looks like she's absolutely going to serve out her term, lol.

Hadlock posted:

Weekend at Bernie's

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.latimes.com/california/...tial-california

quote:

As staff shield Feinstein from the press, a picture really is worth a thousand words

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The state is going to have to update fire insurance regulations finally

A lot of people in rural areas have been complaining about how their fire abatement measures don't impact their property insurance rates, I don't know the specifics but it's a deep rabbit hole. A stucco house with a steel roof and no trees within 100' might fall under the same rate as their next door neighbor who has a cedar shingle roof nestled in a bunch of bone dry pine trees. Or something. Apparently rates are done very broadly because the calculations were designed in the pre computer era

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nationalizing property insurance would be very interesting

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it did cross my mind that they're doing this during an election cycle

Florida as always has been a swing state

I'd love to know the political affiliation of both the CEO and CFO, and any of the other C suite

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brah I've had my Biden 2024 political sign out in the yard since January 1st

Also my "anybody but feinstein" sign since April 2nd

Maybe we should allow a 6 year first term, and a 2 year "extension " term still max 8 years. This 4 year cycle is exhausting and only benefits the news outlets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whoops, is this cspam?

I mean, id rather vote for anyone else, but apparently the rasin puppet masters will not give us any other choice

I can see a 80 year old limit being added at some point

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

My "Harris 2032" sign is raising a lot of questions answered by my sign

Is 2032 when black voters will forget she's a cop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's fair, objection retracted

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Someone link me to the forum power rankings plz

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FYI some time in the last 24 hours this thread got moved (back?) to D&D and thus is under different rules than GBS

I figured a badmin would point this out since most people browse via bookmarks, but I guess not :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

im saint germain posted:

This thread got moved without my permission (which is required) but I refuse to cede the territory

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

This whole situation is bullshit, [...]. No attempt at de-escalation,

Serious question, is de-escalation even taught/advised in police academies outside of maybe Berkeley

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Didn’t that dude get fired for not shooting the person holding the knife?

Edit: It was West Virginia lol

Cop fired for not shooting armed suicidal suspect

"for insurance reasons, I now have to shoot you, otherwise I'll lose my job"

amazing society we live in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Law has only been in effect for ~1 full year; according to statista 93,000 police officers in california* and according to icma 66% of officers do patrol** = 61,000 patrol officers, 53 bans = ...

1 in slightly less than 1200 chance, per year, of getting banned from being a cop

Although apparently the average cop only stays in the profession for 3 years***, so basically 1/1200 people who apply and ultimately are hired are criminally bad at their job. Or something.

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/750805/number-of-state-and-local-police-in-the-us-by-state/
**https://icma.org/sites/default/files/305747_Analysis%20of%20Police%20Department%20Staffing%20_%20McCabe.pdf (page 9)
***https://www.zippia.com/law-enforcement-officer-jobs/demographics/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean yeah if you just have to own and maintain the infrastructure in an urban area that's super cheap. PG&E has to maintain all the infra for pretty much the entire state right? Urban areas probably subsidize rural customers to a huge extent, and rural customers (or, infrastructure that services them anyways) are almost exclusively the source of wildfires. If cities become their own providers of course it's cheaper, the risk of fire is pretty low and manpower needed to inspect/maintain power infra in urban areas is probably a third of what is needed in rural areas, maybe less.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much does a Yale graduate worker make

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months, that's about $30/hr @60 hrs/ wk or $23/hr @80 hrs a week which is honestly pretty fair given it's effectively a paid apprenticeship with a bunch of tax advantaged loans and other cost of living discounts and programs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

enahs posted:

Why do you count only 10 months here?

from my post, "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months" or did you mean "why do you assume only 10 months here?" to which the answer is merely "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule"

fermun posted:

You don't seem to be doing your time and a half calculations correctly.

Salary workers don't get time and a half

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh whoops when he quoted the $38,300 the word "stipend" wrapped to the next line I assumed that 's' word was "salary" and we were dealing with actual facts

Still waiting on actual negotiated salary of a graduate worker

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

negotiated? they take what they get and make it work (meaning, accumulate debt) or they drop out. thats why they're unionizing dude

e: also, a salary isn't an exemption. an exemption is an exemption. at least in california, if you're non-exempt and salaried you're owed overtime

from here

quote:

With the election results finalized, the union can now bargain with the university for a contract. In a statement, Stanford said it looks forward to working in good faith with the union.

Presumably the union will negotiate for some kind of payment, I'm not sure what else they would negotiate for, or what other purpose they planned on unionizing for. I thought they were negotiating for salary, per my previous comment mixing up salary and stipend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ranter posted:

It surprises me that university workers haven't been unionized since the early 20th century. Is this unique to the uni in question given it's history? Like there were never many commies there?

Stanford owes much (most?) of its prominence due to cold war era military radio and radar research contracts, they were basically a DARPA research lab for most of the 20th century; this is well documented

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have really good luck opening my windows at night and then closing them around 5:30-6am. Traps the cold air inside and even though it's 90 outside it's 76 inside. And the insulation in the house sucks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Highbrow Slick posted:

It’s in Fresno single pane windows. Plus my wife and I WFH all week,

You probably qualify for at least one kind of energy efficiency rebate on switching those windows to double pane

Also maybe get your AC serviced and check your duct work for leaks. Being low on refrigerant makes your AC less efficient. Also track down all the leaks and cracks, cover up the gap under your front door

3M makes several different grades of thermal reflectivity window coating, usually is pretty affordable to get installed will cut heat from sunlight by half. Sounds like the payback period on this would be three years or less

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

acksplode posted:

California Politics: Madame Senator, this is a Wendy's

New thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly this sort of thing should be encouraged at all levels of government. Cable news owns too much of the conversation, we should be televising actual conversations like this on a regular basis, at least quarterly

Direct, live debate between politicians ought to be the norm, not the exception

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't think harris or buttigieg are less robotic and unappealing as newsom

The only time i've seen buttigieg was after the new palistine rail disaster (a week after the fact) is he that robotic? He campaigned on mayor pete and seemed likeable enough during the 2020 race I thought

kamala is dead weight that brought out the georgia vote otherwise she is serving her traditional purpose of being a do nothing say nothing VP (although secretly a cop)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jokes posted:

because he was the best candidate

because we have a two party system

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

every passing day makes me more convinced that you're the most prolific and accomplished troll in sa history

i haven't been kicked out of TFR yet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have very little pity for the desert dweller living in a 1000 year flood plain who had well over a week to get their poo poo in order and move to higher ground. Literally saw this coming 1000 miles away

The burning man Facebook group has been :lol::lol: with the head in sand posting going on over there

If you're in an affected area I would plan on being stuck in your house for at least three days, poo poo is going to be off the hook. I'm not a weed dude but if I lived in socal I'd probably buy Skyrim for the switch and a 1lb bag of weed gummies and all the flamin hot cheetos

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is correct, and FEMA owns generating the maps, which are then important for land use and city planning

Starting in 2018 FEMA updated their flood calculations which made a bunch of people in NC very mad as basically any land within 300' of water is now in a 100 year flood plain which has serious knock on effects to property insurance and major factor in whether or not you can even get a construction loan from traditional lenders. A bunch of narrow 5 acre river front lots went from future family river house, to, unbuildable mosquito ridden swamp selling for $10k/acre (down from about 60k/acre)

If you have insurance and you have land you know if you're on a flood zone, and if so what kind. Like owning rural California land and knowing how many feet or miles you are from a calfire station

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I know... so very unlikely to flood.

Go make this assertion over in the home buying thread :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's mostly correct yeah. There was a recalculation done that uses more up to date data (2012?) but in a lot of cases what was a 100 year flood zone is likely to be a 10 year flood zone by 2050, current FEMA flood maps are way better than they were, but they're not forward looking

The market has already responded though, waterfront property values in low lying areas already has global warming/future development/insurance costs baked in

Also lol at the guy "1000 year flood zone :rolleye:" and when challenging his assertion they just loving fold, in D&D of all places, ok