Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I was about to post that, I don't even loving know what to call it, switch turning side kick? reverse tornado kick? it's some serious wcl stuff

What did Roufus call it, a double-touch 360 kick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

that last body shot was brutal

however, my question after watching is what age does it become inappropriate to have a hairstyle like that?

Well JLB dabbled in MMA for a bit, so he has tenure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Any K-1 Max tournament featuring Masato, Buakaw, or Andy Souwer. Their fights feature really talented wins over other good fighters, OR, getting dismantled by other fighters. So it's very rewarding viewing material from a tactical standpoint.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Somebody once linked an article on Suriname, from like NYT or Time or something. I think it peripherally mentioned Suriname's output of kickboxers, while mostly commenting on its economy. Was it from this thread, or the last one?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm the chair hovering in the air.

e: Christ, that full fight. By my count, that's a 22s count the ref does to carry Melvin. Disgusting.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 31, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The video is lighter than that description, but still cruel :(. I guess his mean streak runs everywhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Other than possible bellies, they look pretty in shape.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno why I click new posts thinking it'll be kickboxing news instead of crime news.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seeing that K-1 Japan card got me wondering what was going on with Noiri. I'd forgotten his name for a bit, and searching for 'triangle boy kickboxing' didn't help.
Why's he been sitting out his year?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The flourish at the end really puts it over the top.

It's like a karate return to ready stance move, right? Who else did it, Feitosa? Filho?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

insanely brutally sick fight. the ring is mic'd up beautifully so it sounds like somebody learning drums on a pile of steaks

I thought it was one of the ring announcers groaning after hard shots, but it was Shimano! It's weird how neither guy is hissing as loudly as the strikes landing sound.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

K-1 taking Koshien to its logical conclusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPE6oL8Rk0

:3:

I can't imagine how different standup striking would be if headbutting were legal. Those kids were clashing headgear on every other strike. Not that would happen if they had any reach.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes. He has big power and works at a measured pace with good technique. His blood smelling instinct isn't as explosive as Robbie Lawler's, but whose is?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buakaw vs Masato 2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522Ikuee6fw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What org was it? Was it kickboxing or Muay Thai?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is he still competing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Without any context, that logo is really cool.
Much like the MONOLIT sponsor logo that once adorned his fight trunks :(.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Well, one promoter in Thailand unfortunately didn't recognise Albert Kraus

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertTheHurricaneKraus/videos/761209703966682/

Lol, was wondering if Kraus was really puffy between fights or something. Not that, I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm Mwekassa's manager and am signing new fighters to my agency -- ITPlanB.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He's been just as active boxing, but pretty much only continental stuff.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol that gay people are still so strange to people that they need to specify "gay relationship" instead of just "relationship".

Tbf, if you didn't know the gender of the name Badr, you'd never know if he was male from that phrasing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

right, but i guess my point is why does it matter? the interesting part is that a famous soccer player's significant other beat a bunch of people up and got arrested. throwing in the gay part just makes it seem like they think the gay-ness of their relationship makes it more lascivious than if a straight guy beat a bunch of people up and got arrested.

For me, it implies that it was not the norm for Ronaldo's relationships, which still doesn't seem progressive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Why is the double forearm guard/bending to cover your core so popular as a defensive tool in k1?

It works well enough defensively and doesn't take away your kicking base and range as much as some kinds of head movement would.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Also, you're still in position to check a leg kick when you're doing it, which isn't the case with most types of defensively responsible head movement.

Oh yeah. In that sense, I guess it's a degenerate case of the Thai shield where you correctly assume your opponent will lead with hands and might throw a kick.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fatherdog posted:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/an-interview-with-idris-elbas-kickboxing-coach

Short version -
  • He's going to have a couple amateur fights first and his coach will gauge from there
  • Because he travels a lot for acting work he's trained at a lot of places, including with Masato
  • He's probably going to be fighting someone from Mike's Gym

If this is the new-and-improved, hoo boy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI4XmsGgu86

There's something too slick about the way the coach talks that makes me uncomfortable. Like he's saying what the skeptic in me wants to hear.
"When he spars, he spars professionals. [...] And he handles them very well. I'm not going to say he beats them, but he does very well."
If he's hitting the bag like that, anybody at the gym (wherever they are) his size with a few years of experience would do.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Yeah I bet he looks like a monster when he has a full gas tank

I thought about that -- given the nature of promotion and Instagram, why wouldn't they have gone with a shot when he was fresher?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I mean, I don't understand why weight classes are subdivided so frequently when you switch from MMA to something like boxing or kickboxing. Like, do you have weight classes every 2.5kg/5lbs because there are so many fighters in every division>

At the low end of the weight scale, I can get superfights being negotiated for +/- 5lbs, which is about what 2.5kg is. 121lbs vs 132lbs.
But to add in a division, not sure there are that many fighters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if, when Reem seems pics of Badr like that, if he's like "glad I knocked him out when he was skinnier," or thinks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd say looks fine for an amateur debut, but that better be the last round of a pure slugfest for him to be gassed out that bad at the pro level. If I were the trainer, I would have not let him go out if that were his level at the end of his documentary project.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That was killer, but those two shots while the guy was sitting down were unnecessary, especially the second one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Wouldn't this be muay thai without leg kicks basically?

Sorry, I'm confused -- there's no rule about leg kicks in Glory, is there?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crimes against Hippocrates.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Jose posted:

Does this forum have a gif thread because I can't see it and want to post this knockout that isn't boxing

https://twitter.com/ChaseShermanUFC/status/913936978881761280

There's a kickboxing thread and yeah that's extremely rad poo poo

It's a foul cuz the guy's taken a knee at the point of contact, no?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guess who decided to dip down to do an amateur turn in a different sport?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwIURMN9aY&t=9364s
Guessing the Romanian federation really wanted the help and he had nothing else going on?

I've explained the rules to sanshou in the MA thread, but basically, you get points for throws and pushing off the platform in addition to landing strikes.
Ghita doesn't look super comfortable in the extended grappling, but that's academic in the face of his firepower.
He's gonna crush the fat Chinese guy who won the other semi of 90+ kg.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sanshou is different enough that even an amateur with the right (grappling-heavy) style can shut down a pro kickboxer.
In a two minute round (paused whenever a throw or fall happens), you're maybe scoring 10 pts tops in clean strikes.
It's 1-2 points per throw, 3 pts for pushout, and you only need 2 pushouts to win the round.

Against a pro who Leko who couldn't seem to stay up on his feet, most of the kick-catch throws would work.
Against someone who was used to working on the ropes, they'd not sense urgency from being at the edge of the platform.

One of the interesting things about sanshou is the open scoring. You know at the end of the round who won or lost.
Each of the 5 judges has clickers for red and blue corners to track points.

At a top tier event like this, the clickers are digitized, so you can see total points for red and blue as the bar between the round win indicator in the upper left.
After red scores two clean kicks to the body after 2:37:03, you can see the bar quickly shoot up for red.
Based on watching the other fights, these judges are particularly strict about cleanness of strikes. Probably plenty of striking heavy matches scoring in the single digits on strikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

So here's an interesting wrinkle, the guy Ghita faces in the final is fighting on the Glory China card in 2 weeks against Junior Tafa. Amongst the limited talent pool in China he's very very highly regarded.

His fight is at 2:32:38 if you want to scout it. Yes, not many Chinese fighters >200lbs who aren't fat.
The commentators talk his movement and speed up. He doesn't look slow, but not at Ghita levels.
He could easily take this tournament if his trips/throws are up to snuff, but doesn't look like a great prospect for straight kickboxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm obsessed with this live scoring meter.
The 5 judges sit around the platform, and whenever there's an iffy kick that doesn't quite land clean, you see the score shoot one way and then the other as the different judges call the strike differently.
It's also nice how as the round wears on and total points shown by the meter grow, each individual winning exchange counts for less and less.

Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A7wHh55uk

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The other prospect, Xiang Ye, looked really impressive in his fight. I'm curious how that showdown will look now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A7wHh55uk&t=12278s

this was badass too, I like the kooky rules with no knees and the lei tai, are there any sites to keep up to date with these competitions because I'm definitely down for stuff like this and chest punching championships every year or so

Lol, yeah, the breath-taker.

Worlds is every other year and Pan-Ams is every other year on off years. As you have seen, the level of talent is not very high. The mix of countries is very Soviet-bloc and Muslim, which is interesting. I think the rule set is pretty spectator friendly, though it errs on the sport instead of combat side.

I'm not sure if there's a good news source for the world-level events. Looking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Opal posted:

Dude so poo poo he makes Ghita fight badly. That's something

Amateur heavyweight in low participation sport not nearly as good as Ghita :monocle: