Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Ok, but does Saturn's blue sky come with fluffy white clouds? :colbert:

Saturn, Texas does! Maybe that tiny shithole that literally used to be called Possum Trot gets way bigger and more important in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Except for Spider-Man 3.

Stan Lee shouldn't actually speak in his roles, he's bad at it.

"Yeah. Can I have my shoe back?" was delivered just fine, and was a great laugh moment. I defend this man.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call the Superman speech in Kill Bill?

Well delivered but fundamentally inaccurate, as if it belies a deep misunderstanding of the nature of both Superman and Batman.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

They would if the lawyer was She-Hulk.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Does no-one in space have IFF? At least a couple of times in the movie I got wildly jarred out of the action when Our Heroes stole the gun(ship)s of whoever they were fighting and started going to town on them - even in the modern world we've invented (though by no means perfected, I'll admit) IFF systems to stop our guns being use against us, either by accident or on purpose.

Haven't they thought of that in loving space yet?

I figure any ship that fires something called Necroplasm is going to be piloted by a cackling evil guy with a 30% chance on any given day of turning traitor, so the Kree probably can't afford IFF.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

M.C. McMic posted:

This has probably been mentioned many times already, but I'm so loving sick of cars not starting in order to build tension in movies.

Every time someone is being chased in a movie and hops into a car or onto a motorcycle I cringe and think (sometimes out loud), "for the love of god, please don't have trouble starting the car." Nine times out of ten, the car doesn't loving start until the bad guy is right there. OH poo poo, THAT WAS CLOSE! :jerkbag:

An example that comes to mind immediately is T2, when John Connor first encounters the Terminators and jumps on his bike in the mall parking lot. At least in this film, they showed him tuning the bike earlier, but still... gently caress right the hell off. Can't anyone think of a more creative plot device to allow a bad guy to catch up in a chase scene?

Why sure writers have! You know that thing where they fumble with the keys and then drop the keys and then have to reach really hard for the keys and then fumble for the right key and then are too shaky to put the key in the ignition? That's the other thing!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, i thought Dredd was just full of gallows humour and dark humour that was the point, it's probably one of the best adaptations of the material that you could hope for. It's pretty much perfect on every level. It's not for everyone though, but if you grew up reading Dredd then you probably loved it.

I mean Dredd is a huge social commentary book and just send up of a fascist system in a democratic state. Specifically the idea that we have a basically fascist organization to protect us and how just hilariously hypocritical that is.

Basically , the Dredd movie is amazing.

I loved the new Dredd. I especially loved that Urban has basically no backstory or growth, he's just playing a force of nature all the way through. There isn't even a scene where he dramatically has to remove his helmet. He never removes his helmet. How rare is that in a costume hero movie? That's straight up commitment to the role to not require a bunch of face-time for the actor.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

If it's actually 45 seconds, about 8000 feet, not factoring in any negligible effects from updrafts that are often near waterfalls.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Holy poo poo was that actually a thing doctors used to do?

That's a thing doctors still do.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Have you watched it recently? It is just a terrible movie. Like the constant "jokes" about people not being able to pronounce the main character's last name. Or the bizarre digs against Siskel and Ebert or how the only thing Vicki Lewis' character does in the entire movie is just ogle Matthew Broderick.

Everything about Godzilla 98 is rationally irritating. You've got headphone gags, people yakking on about Noo Yawk, a monster that changes size and speed depending on the shot, a military radar system that shows a pile of fish on the street using a giant fish icon, a female lead that does nothing but lie, steal, and smarm her way through the film (literally, she is an rear end in a top hat from start to finish), tossed in velociraptors, a "french guy is snooty about food" joke line, and it goes on like this.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

In star trek at least once an episode someone will use a common phrase or metaphor that they know no future people will understand.

Picard: Now we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Geordi: The shoe? I don't understand at all.
Picard: It's an old expression it means blah blah blah

It's incredibly douchey to randomly speak in a way you know no one else will understand just so you can show off and explain it too them. Also no one can understand any sort of context and make a guess at what the other person might be saying if they don't spell it out. It's especially dumb when Data has to ask what a word is since he has a whole dictionary and encyclopedia built into his brain.

You want irrationally irritating? I hate that every time Star Trek: TNG drags the past into their conversations or brings up some old metaphor, it's from our actual past. The show starts in the year 2364 and I think they mention something that happened between 1991 and 2364 like four or five times total, generally in reference to the original series, and never once in relation to cultural or artistic development. They're all obsessed with Babe Ruth and Dixieland Jazz and detective novels, and it's just like if everyone now was alway whinging on about Caroline-era stage plays and the value of natural philosophers. I mean, I know that there's supposed to be a sort of post-war dark ages in that timeline, but you know what's interesting is post war dark ages! Also, did no one invent a sport worth obsessing over in 350 years? American football is only 120 years old or so, if we were following TNG rules we'd all be on about pugilism and the Cotswold Olympicks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mng posted:

Hey, they invented neon see-through cymbals! Bringing a classic instrument straight into the future. It's really difficult to find a good picture because 'star trek wedding' turns up all of the very wrong things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OOgsPQNT9U

And Picard's photo album from Generations has these stupid hologram borders.

I hate like, 75% of the TNG movies, everyone acts so differently compared to the show.

I know what you mean, I remember the neon cymbals, they're from one of those movies where Worf is just back for whatever reason. Big green plastic cymbals, would totally make a noise like "clack" unless they were just an aftermarket USB plugin for a drum machine. Probably makes that percussionist feel real good, all "I could be replaced by a button."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fair enough. Fair enough. I forgot about the squares thing too. They did invent a few crazy future sports, and I think there's even a goofy racquetball variant in DS9.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What would have been great is if just one time in Quark's bar as all the people traipsed in and out of the holo-sims dressed as WW1 fighter pilots and 60s superspies there was a group of people in the background heading up dressed as TOS era crewmen. Like you know Kirk's adventures have to be super popular pulp heroism stuff in the TNG era.

Green space cymbals. Note that 380 years from now our advances in music will be plastic cymbals and cerulean becoming an available color for mandolins.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Oct 1, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aggressive pricing posted:

And they talk about hoverball in at least one episode. Who wouldn't play a sport called hoverball?

Just the Sisko, whose dedication to a 500 year old sport is incredible. I love that the rules of baseball survived an apocalypse,a cultural dead period, and a eugenics war unchanged. Or maybe they didn't and he's just a weird 20th century purist (who am I kidding, every major character is a weird 20th century afficionado, even the aliens and the robots).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

You talking poo poo about my home, man?

They should remake watership down. But only someone like Burton would make it right and dark.

Burton's Watership Down, featuring Johnny Depp doing a CGI dance in pancakey rabbit makeup, and Helena Bonham Carter as a rabbit that whispers into some other rabbit's neck.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

They all had some stupid thing they liked to do. Picard liked old spy novels, Bashir liked less old but still ridiculously old in Star Trek years spy novels, O'Brien wanted to reenact wars that are further away from him than the Revolutionary war is from us, Paris liked 1930s adventure shows with pots and pans robots, and Barclay liked to gently caress his coworkers. Also I think Geordi used it to practice loving his coworkers or something, is that right?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I think they did a good job with that, he generally understood the words but not the context they were used in. Someone would bust out a random phrase like 'thats one way to skin a cat' and he'd ask, why would one skin a cat. How is that applicable to a warp core breach.

How is it he wasn't programmed with a library of idioms, that's the thing. If nothing else it should have been easy to program him with a subroutine of "if someone says something that sounds like unrelated nonsense, that's probably an idiom. Just ask them what they mean instead of adorably pointing out that there isn't any local water or even a horse to lead to it."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Frankly, Mystique's power doesn't make any logical sense but that's pretty much the same for all mutants.

Yeah, she's drat near normal compared to someone like Chamber, who's the top third of a body floating over a chunk of raw energy which is sitting atop the bottom third of a body.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

My favorite part of Big Daddy is when everyone cheers while Sandler breaks into a guy's house and robs him under threat of violence. Because he is the good guy in that scenario.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What really always adds insult to injury for me is that usually the animals/pets aren't in ANY danger or even close to as in danger as their human counterparts. Like, I don't think the zombies were gonna eat the dog...was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

Probably? Isn't one of the aliens in 3 born out of a dog?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LoonShia posted:

I've always wondered how Mike Nelson eats and breathes, and other science facts.

Well, he breathes at the discretion of the Mads, who turned his air off once as a warning, and he generally eats okay, for example there's a crate of hamdingers in the ship storage.

As for some other science facts, did you know that pine nuts actually are nuts right out of pine cones? They're very difficult to harvest, which is why they are so expensive.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It took a long goddamn time for Arrow to have and loving humor about itself.
Also, Solomon Grundy is just a strong guy in a black mask? That worse than Black Canary not having sonic powers. Those little disks don't count. The Flash has actual super powers, why can't she?

That's probably not Black Canary, rather it's the future Black Canary's sister. I figure we'll see the real one when the show gets around to it. Also the Grundy thing ends with him getting acid(or some sort of evil bubbling caustic thing, maybe more of the Japanese wonder drug) on his face, and even makes sure to call that back. So I'm guessing he'll be all zombified and gross in his inevitable next appearance. It'll be just like Deadshot. First appearance he was some boring sniper with no distinguishing characteristics, now he actually has the cyber-eye and everything.

My problem with Grundy was that the literal only thing they did to give the character anything was to leave a copy of the Grundy poem in his apartment, it was more than a little stilted.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Faux Mulder posted:

Never mind the CPR, it's the defibrillator use that always cracks me up. They use a defibrillator to try and resolve a flat-line, caused by drowning, and they're all huddled together (IIRC, someone says "Clear!" and nobody moves), half of them are sopping wet, and they're all kneeling on a metal surface, in a big puddle of saltwater.

It's cool. Defibs are actually pretty safe to use in wet environments. You won't get much about 30v peak (current 30 mA peak) even in a saltwater puddle, at least with a bog standard AED with the maximum shock about a foot away from the body. Of course, that doesn't also account for those big hospital paddles.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The Mosasaurus is the Jurassic World trailer is way the goddamn hell too big. It's shown swallowing a big Great White whole which would make it easily around 100-110 feet long, and Mosasaurus topped out around 50-59. It'd be fine if the tone of the trailer wasn't Chris Pratt being surprised at engineering new dinosaur traits, since they clearly already have a giant terrifying adult one around he should have known about.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Len posted:

Someone in another thread called it a "liopleurodon" so maybe it is? I mean without knowing more than what we see in like...10 seconds you can't really get too angry.

Those (liopleurodon) got to be about 22 feet long. He might have meant pliosaur, which was originally thought to be super-huge but has recently been downgraded to 30-42 feet. Oh well, we'll see what the movie has to say.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That makes me want to see that in a regular zoo movie, straight up. Like people walking through the zoo, and in the background presented without comment is an elephant that's 40 feet high at the shoulder. No one mentions it or anything, they just ooh and ahh at the kangaroos, of which one is 15 feet high. The dad brightly says "hormones!" It is a good time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mng posted:

Even the freaking gate was CGI. How hard is it to get some plywood up?

Also it looks like Optimus Prime's head when it's opening.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

How in the world did they get blood of an aquatic dinosaur from a mosquito?

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

The mosquito caught it while it was somehow rocketing roughly half of its ludicrously overscaled body up out of the water. Whatever thrust it takes to breach 100 tons of predator meat straight up 50 feet to eat a shark, that part also takes a while, so aggressive grapefruit-sized Jurrasic World style mosquitos can get in there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

I hope to gently caress you aren't saying TMR was better than snowpiercer. TMR was agonizing from the first moment to the last. At least snowpiercer was shot well.

I like how every shot of the train from the outside doesn't show the one car that's three times the size of the others to fit that ludicrous CGI aquarium. I also love that the suggestion that the train has enough scavenger population that they can be harvested to support several cars worth of people's food needs. Also I dig that ending where they die like five minutes after the screen fades because either they freeze, starve, or a polar bear attacks them. Yay, humanity still has hope!

Actually I kid, I love heavily stylized movies and that film was about as heavy as they come.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

I also liked how every exterior shot looked like CG FMV from a PS1 game.

Like you keep expecting Squall to come steal a few cars off the drat thing, yeah.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Counterpoint: the matrix reloaded

I cannot believe you folks are defending the movie where lovely cgi playstation2 hugo weavings make a literal bowling pin noise when they hit each other.

Seriously, go re watch the burly brawl and tell me the matrix reloaded is not the worst movie ever put to film. You guys clearly do not remember what bad cgi truly is.

No one is defending Reloaded. No one likes it. They're saying that Snowpiercer is ripping it off, yes. But you can rip things off from a piece of poo poo if you want, it's merely inadvisable, not impossible.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

In Avengers when Agent coulson is explaining to Cap how Bruce Banner is a really smart guy he calls him a 'Stephen Hawking', which of course Cap has no idea who that is. Coulson just calls him a really smart person, instead of bringing up that other (arguably even more) famous smart person.

Arnim Zola? Howard Stark?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lotish posted:

How long as Einstein been a household name? I mean he'd been famous for decades in scientific communities, sure, but I do not personally know when he became a name that everyone instantly recognizes and holds up as the definition of smart guy. Coulson (and the writers) may have just wanted to avoid guessing that altogether.

edit: according to the "Jewish Virtual Library," the answer to my question is 1919.

He was big enough in world recognition in the early 30s to be spending most of his time turning down invitations to galas and stuff during a tour of the US. Not only would Cap know who he was, I think he was actually name-dropped in the first movie.

That said the Marvel Einstein has to share real estate with Marvel heroes in terms of the smartness pantheon. Is he smarter than Tony Stark? How about Howard Stark? At least thanks to movie rights issues we know he's smarter than a nonexistent Reed Richards.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Murphys Law posted:

Didn't something like this happen in one of the original series movies, also? One of the characters, Kirk maybe, asked Scotty if he's always been padding his times?

It definitely pops up right away on Voyager, in what might be the only part of that show that was any good. Janeway tries to get Torres the old "You've got two" routine, and Torres shuts her down with a quick "I don't pad times. If I say three, I mean three. It can't be done in two."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Imagined posted:

Roseanne was actually pretty unironically great until the Tom Arnold years. I still think it's one of the most accurate representations of the average modern American's life I've seen on TV, at least where lower class suburban white people are concerned. It was definitely the closest to the way I grew up anyway. Mom and dad aren't perfect, they work hard at unglamorous jobs for not a lot of money, they yell at their kids but love them anyway, they all try hard and still usually fail, and nobody's pretty.

I can't remember the last sitcom about a middle or lower middle class family set in a one-story house. Even the families that are ostensibly poor like Roseanne and the Simpsons have a huge two-level, generally also with a spacious garage, basement, and yard to boot.

Oh and there's never been any drama about having to share the one family car. Like there's always jokes about kids wanting to take a car, but there's never "well, you have to drive me to work before you go because of the drat headgasket."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rysithusiku posted:

Malcolm in the Middle

Ooh, good pull.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mans posted:

Did you just diss Kinzie and Pam in the same loving post?!

Wait you dissed Cheryl. That's even worse!

Cheryl hates her computer. I think the animated example would be Max from Batman Beyond. Personally I just hate hacking as a superpower. I've seen enough people get to the part of the DOD website that's all glowy green text arrayed in circles already, and doing it even faster doesn't impress anymore.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I think we can all agree though that Abby the perky goth lab tech on NCIS is the worst character on any show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Abby would be a great character on BBT. She's another walking collection of unrelated tropes associated with nerds, she'd integrate immediately.