Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Gladiator had actually been historically accurate they would have had the villain decapitate a running ostrich with a dart and have hundreds of amputees tied together so he could club them to death in public while pretending they were giants.

Then he got strangled to death by a wrestler in a bath house because the senate was tired of his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

the watchmen movie fixes the terrible climax of the book so good on ya zack attack

The original ending is admittedly very silly but a giant mutant space squid surrounded by mountains of corpses is a lot more interesting to me, both as a concept and an image, than fake dr.atom vaporizing everybody.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've actually seen people who refuse to believe that the Alien Xenomorph is phallic in any way and think that anyone who gets any dick vibes is obviously reading way too much into those movies. The Alien being a rapist dick monster isn't even subtext it's plain text. So much so that they hired professional dick doodler H.R. Geiger to design it.

I can understand people being a bit sceptical about the Predator pussy connection but saying that just because it's a dumb monster movie it can't also be smart is pretty dumb. A lot of seemingly dumb movies are pretty drat smart.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not Mussolini?

The Nazis are just a lot better known than their Italian comrades, even if they were into fascism before Nazism became cool. Most people don't even know who Mussolini was and his logo, which is literally a human being, is already everywhere and doesn't have nearly the level of brand recognition that the swastika has..

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pwnstar posted:

Crystal Skull worked as a tribute to 50s pulp sci-fi by having a cool premise that was let down by poor, idiotic and bizarre creative choices.

It would've been much more fitting of a tribute if almost all the movie was people talking in a cheesy laboratory set and nothing really happens until the end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MisterBibs posted:

There's only a handful of times where I've seen a potential zombie being actually picked clean by the undead.
Day of the Dead is good for this. Most characters who are killed by zombies are literally torn to bits and then eaten.

Of course in Romero films literally everyone who dies from anything other than decapitation or cranial injury comes back as a zombie. Being bitten just gives you a horrible infection that speeds up the process. So a lot of the zombies in his films were probably never bitten at all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dusk Til Dawn is the best film Robert Rodriquez has done.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My irrational moment is the opposite direction for that show. He gets radioactive chemicals spilled on his eyes and gets heightened senses / powers. They never even say what the chemicals were and every other character who learns about his powers seems to be perfectly okay with the idea that radioactive waste on your eyes gives you powers, but extremely surprised about other things.

Daredevil - "I was in an accident and had chemicals spilled on my eyes. That's how I can hear your heartbeat, know you're lying, and hear that girl scream from over 6 miles away."

Rosario Dawson - "Obviously, but how did you get into my apartment when... I LOCKED THE DOOR!??!"

They are living in the MCU where aliens invade every other year and a 1000+ year old pagan space God regularly makes trips to earth to take part in military action against techo-Nazis and go to cocktail parties.

Getting superpowers from radioactive gunk getting in your eyes is practically mundane.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

This comic irationally irritates me. The Proto-Indo-European language had hella complex grammar compared to English. Using "am" for all inflections of "to be" is inaccurate!! :mad:

Those cartoon cavemen are obviously speaking Proto-Altaic which was exactly like simplified English.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

In Pacific Rim the Russian robot is called Cherno Alpha. Chernobyl isn't in Russia!

. Ukraine is and has always been a part of the Russian federation. Any other claims are a filthy lie of western homofascists

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Celery Face posted:

Bent (it's about gay men during the Holocaust) has a lot of problems but the part in it that bugged me the most was when the main character's boyfriend whines that he can't escape Berlin because he'll miss his dance classes. This is right when the Night Of The Long Knives is going on and they just saw a gay man have his throat slit by some nazis. :psyboom:

I haven't seen the film but if the gay dude was killed in the Night of the Long Knives he was probably a Nazi himself. Seeing as it was for the most part an internal purge of the NSDAP, more specifically Strasserist and other left-fascist elements within the SA. Some of the SA leadership happened to be openly gay, most notably the main leader Ernst Röhm, and that was used in propaganda of to justify the massacre but it wasn't really the main issue.
Which would make it fairly easy to brush it of as not signifying the start of anti-homosexual persecution.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Aug 24, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually prefer Carnacki the Ghost Finder, who is basically the poor man's Holmes except paranormal, to Sherlock Holmes. Too bad that the author had to go and die in the Great War and only wrote nine stories.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Aug 25, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Groot is literally tree Chewbacca.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

While I do have enormous respect for the actors and other people working in the film industry, yeah this. Whenever I hear actors talk about some gruelling challenge I just think "Millions of dollars, millions of dollars, millions of dollars."

It's always fun to read about low-budget films because being an actor on a lot of those sound legit difficult since people were being paid really badly. Like on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre most of the creepy bone and leather props in the horror house are made from real rotting animal carcasses gotten from a vet. This was all kept in a poorly ventilated house in the middle of a heatwave making even being in the house really hard and they had to be there for hours trying to pretend not to be constantly on the verge of vomiting. Then the mob took almost all of the profits from the film and none of the actors ever saw any real money despite the films success.

The Evil Dead was also pretty grueling. The lenses the possessed people wore were so thick that it was impossible to see anything in them and they could only wear them for short periods of time or otherwise they might seriously damage their eyes. If a scene called for a window to be smashed they'd actually smash it, none of that fancy sugarglass poo poo, and hope that none of the shards cut the actors on the other side. If something needed to be shot they'd actually shoot it, they'd replace the actor with a puppet or something but they'd use real live ammo and just tell everyone to move out of the way.They didn't really have enough money to pay any actors other than Bruce Campell, who was heavily involved in the films production and willing to work cheaply, so basically any shot where you don't see peoples faces was done later by "Fake Shemps" dressed as the actors. Friends and family members of the director and producer who were willing to come out to a freezing cabin in the middle of nowhere and "act" for hours upon hours for no pay. I think the bulk of it is done by Ted Raimi, the directors brother, who was like 14 at the time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DecentHairJelly posted:

In It Follows, (not spoilering because it was in the trailer) what was the entity doing standing on the roof of the house when the group pulled out of the driveway? Like, how did it even get up there?

It is standing on the roof because the thought of It having been up there the whole time, just waiting, is spooky. The rule of Spook.

The whole movie does have a sort of dream like quality to it so it´s best to just go with the flow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also people still have tube TVs and there is nothing on but old horror films.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kizudarake posted:

I don't dig on dog or cat killing in movies. Even offscreen.

You should watch the Evil Dead remake. In the original film there is a creepy room in the basement where animal bones have been hung from the ceiling by strings in an apperent homage to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the remake those bones have been replaced by dead cats.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His dad is a Space-God of some sort though so he was probably born with six pack. A tiny baby six pack.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was the main girl's dad. There is like a several second close-up of a family photo to emphasize this. So something that looks like her dad is trying to chase her down in order to brutally gently caress her to death.

It Follows 2: Son of Follows should be about a sailor and/or pilot who has hosed someone being chased by It and then being stuck on a plane or ship with it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It Follows is good. Sense is pretty overrated.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

misguided rage posted:

Uh well they did blow up a planet a little bit

Collateral damage. If Alderaan didn't want to be blown up they shouldn't have been harboring rebels and weapons on their planet. In fact it's quite despicable of the rebels to be hiding behind women and children like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

This would be funny if a Danish politician didn't just use that exact phrasing the other week, to justify bombing civilian targets in Syria :(

That's the joke.

It's basically the standard excuse of anyone wanting to defend bombing people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So does reverse-flash move super slow?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PuntCuncher posted:

Just re watched Prometheus. Nothing between the opening and closing credits makes any sense whatsoever.

It's pretty simple. Stupid petty people land on planet for stupid petty reasons. Meet God, God hates them and fucks them up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the whole human cast spends the entire time being huge douchebags towards their own "intelligent" creation and belittling the idea he could have thoughts/feelings, then being surprised and shocked when they discover their own creators feel the same way about them.

I actually like Prometheus and am fairly certain that how stupid and shortsighted everyone is totally intentional. I mean it's not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens but it's far better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and at least as good as Planet of the Vampires.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

The Shining did ok, even though it was a slow burner.

It got pretty bad reviews and a few razzies though. Because people are poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From the on set picture I've seen of Pegg he doesn't have any of those motion tracking dots on his face and is wearing a bulky costume so it´s possible he was actually wearing a mask. But even if he was it's very likely that they fixed it up more with CGI to make it less rubbery.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cutting yourself with a sword is so difficult that grabbing the blade with your bare hands and wailing on the other due with the handle is an actual move in sword fighting.

Of course that wouldn't work with a laser sword.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the entire point of Prometheus was that everyone was a incompetent moron and then they meet God and God hates them because they are morons and decides to kill all mankind.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rewatching Game of Thrones, first season. I am trying to wrap my head around Ned Stark's expectations for what the gently caress would happen once he confronted the Queen about her, you know, loving her brother and maiming his own son. So honorable man he is, he goes right to the bitch, says he knows her weakness, tells her to leave, and...that's it? Did he really expect someone as hosed up as her to just pack her bags without explanation and hide with her kids? She's the loving Queen, her being gone will make a lot of people panic. And no one will believe she just went into exile for shits and giggles. She has more to lose by doing what he said, and even knowing she's a bitch and has no problem hurting a child, he thinks his plan will work.

Ned Stark is a good man that likes to believe people, even horrible people who do bad things, are at their core good.

He was wrong.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

Seriously?

Why even use a priceless ~150-year-old guitar for a goddamn movie?

I loved the movie, but Tarantino is one hell of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Imagine if someone had found a perfectly preserved copy of the full cut of Metropolis and just set it on fire for the sake of a scene in a movie. He would have been absolutely livid and probably gone on some kind of rage-fueled murder spree. But nooo, it's perfectly fine to smash an old instrument, because "it's just a guitar".

Apparently they were going to get a separate shot of Russell smashing a replica after using the real guitar for the scene before it but Russel didn't get the memo and smashed it in the same take thinking it was one of the replicas.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Who knows. Maybe the replicas were made to be more easily breakable and wouldn't sound good enough so they decided to use the real one for the take where she plays it or maybe someone just decided it would be cooler to have the real one in the movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Supernatural was a really good show as long as you only watch the monster of the week stuff and avoid the dull angels/demons stuff.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Febreeze posted:

My favorite scene of them not believing something was in like season...3? Before Cass. Sam is talking about the monster of the week being an angel but Dean just refuses to entertain the idea.

"I ONLY BELIEVE IN THINGS IVE SEEN SAM"

they've literally seen a door to hell opened and have been fighting demons but AN ANGEL? THAT CAN'T EXIST. NO.

One thing I liked about the X-Files is that although Scully is the scientifically minded sceptic doctor she's also religious while conspiracy theorist Mulder is an atheist who believes in literally everything supernatural and paranormal except if it if it's connected to religion. He has no problem accepting lake monsters, werewolves, vampires, golems, gargoyles, gremlins, aliens, fairies, Fiji Mermaids and what not but the very idea that a mystery might have a divine cause is just silly to him.

I mean admitedly he has actually met vampires more than once and seen his fair share of aliens but never actually seen a God. Though I'm pretty sure Millennium, which takes place in the same universe as the X-Files and even had a crossover episode, had angels and demons and poo poo in it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not really he took out the avengers a couple of times and only were able to beat him with help from captain marvel or Adam warlock.

Adam Warlock, for those who don't know, is Space Jesus. Not like Superman in that he just has a lot of Messanic imagery attached but in a more direct way of him being crucified for our space sins and then resurrected. Also like Jesus he has PTSD and fights a future version of himself, who is an evil space pope with an afro, by traveling through time and killing himself right before he turns evil.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aphrodite posted:

They're all white, same poo poo.

The Irish white?
Don't be silly. Next you're going to tell me the Italians, the Greeks or the Swedish are white.

Everyone knows that the only white people are Germans(but only from the good parts of Germany), the English and maybe the Danes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ivar the Boneless is a lot cooler than his dad but I think he's a was a tiny cripple baby in the show last time I checked.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poe and Finn were just sizzling with chemistry. They were like a modern Bogey and Bacall. Except I seriously doubt John Boyega and Oscar Isaac are loving IRL.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lost was ok but went on for about four more seasons than it should've.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Speaking of breaking necks: when people snap necks just by turning their head to the side or giving a little Steven seagal chop. I've never tried it but I'd like to think my neck is a little less fragile than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-jv7doUI8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Last Game of Thrones thing, but no one ever, ever speaks ill of a certain dead man. Rhaegar. Dany's oldest brother, the one who, depending on the source, eloped with Lyanna or abducted and raped her. Regardless of those arguments, the dude might have been a great musician and a great warrior but he was a poo poo person. He abandoned his wife and two children for a loving teenager, but no one in the book or show comments on this. At all. It's always how great he was and handsome and beautiful and wonderful Yes the Mad King is more famous for his acts of insanity but Rhaegar was the one who started the entire mess. So do we take from this if Robert had died in the Rebellion instead, people would be talking how great and awesome and brave he was? Does no one speak ill of Rhaegar because Robert turned out to be a poo poo king? Because hardly anyone outside the council and his immediate family knew what a poo poo king he was.

It is hinted at that the reason he hooked up with Lyanna is because he knew about the oncoming apocalypse via climate change/Frost Elves and knew that he had to father the chosen one(s) and that the mother had to be a northern girl of House Stark. Of course no one knows this, well at least no one that isn't dead or Howland Reed. They just like him because he was really smart, kind and pretty and was probably going to be the greatest king since his greatgrandad Egg who was probably the best Targaryen king. There is even some indication that he was plotting to overthrow his father. Things that never reach fruition are always better than things that do because they never get a chance to fail. See: Romeo and Juliette, Socialism with a human face, anyone famous who died young.

Mostly it's just that fairy tale trope where a beautiful maiden is in love with a wonderful prince but is betrothed to a horrible and cruel adulterer so he whisks her away and they live happily ever after except in this case it causes a massive civil war and the beautiful prince dies, the maiden dies and the bad guy wins and becomes a lovely king.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jun 12, 2016