Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
In Desolation of Smaug, why was Thorin totally willing to leave Bofur behind in Laketown? "He overslept, leave him. We can afford it." No you loving can't! You'd think he'd want every able-bodied dwarf with him in the mountain, looking for the keyhole and whatnot.

What was even the point of Bofur in particular staying behind? If you wanted someone to look for athelas to cure Kili's life threatening wound, have it be his brother; make it a bonding brotherly moment between them before they both die in the next movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Wasn't also Bilbo invisible the entire time in the book? From what i remember part of the frustration was him not being able to see him.

I guess my pet peeve is why Smaug didn't just torch/eat Bilbo and then making a move on Laketown.
That was exactly it. Smaug also made the connection of Laketown to Bilbo through "Barrel-rider", like someone said.

Whatev posted:

Yessir, but there is no way for audiences to know that crap from seeing the films. There's never any indication that the birds are anything more than big dumb animals, so the characters seem stupid for not using them more.
This is an issue that the Youtube series Everything Wrong With addresses pretty succinctly.
here

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Can I post a moment I found awesome/funny but I'm sure other peoe will find irritating.

Saw Days of Future Past last night and loved the explanation for Professor X being alive when he was exploded into a million bits the last time we saw him.
They just didn't bother with any explanation at all and just ignored that it even happened.
Honestly I wish more movies would do that. Especially amusing since it's a time travel movie which gives you a "get out of jail free card" when it comes to retconns

Made even funnier by the fact that my mate seemed to be fixated on it before the movie started.
Didn't they address it sometime in The Last Stand? I know Prof X was lecturing some students on some metaphysical poo poo regarding a "what if" scenario that coincidentally led into the after credits scene where he (another Professor X body?) woke from a coma to say "Hello, Moira." :shrug: I haven't watched that horrible movie in a while so details are fuzzy.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

mng posted:

Here's how you really hack, anyway:

Oh, so Robocop did it first. And here I thought Frenzy in the first Transformers was the cutting edge of hacking technology. It's all so clear now: You just stick a pointy bit of metal into a mainframe and bam.
http://vimeo.com/7210944

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Die Hard is one of my favorite movies ever, but it bugs me every time they show the scene where they call Stockholm syndrome "Helsinki syndrome."

Why?
I've watched Die Hard, and I thought that was just something they did on Top Gear as a dumb joke. :saddowns:

"Well, what's Helsinki Syndrome?"
"It's when you're an idiot and get Sweden and Finland mixed up."

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Plus I imagine Thor would have been a little pissed, adopted brother or not. I think they also might have wanted that drat illegal alien :bahgawd: shipped back to his own country dimensional plane to be dealt with under their local laws.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Jul 27, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, even those annoying little yipping dogs don't get killed. Punted maybe, but never killed.

I was amazed when, in Mars Attacks, they not only vaporized a dog, but it was the President's dog!
Snakes on a Plane. :colbert:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I have to agree that Stan Lee does just fine in his cameos. I haven't watched Amazing Spider-man, but his scene was a fun bit of physical comedy, if this gif is anything to judge by.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

gently caress movies that don't use the actual language when portraying foreign people or countries. We're in the goddamn 21st century and I just don't understand why they gently caress it up so often. Is it an attempt at humor or something? Are they really too stupid/lazy? 90% of the time something that's supposed to be Dutch is either German or gibberish.
This is probably the only reason I like Inglorious Basterds. German people speak German amongst themselves, the French speak French, and Bradd Pitt's "Gor-lah-mee" cracked me the gently caress up. Also Cristoph Waltz's casting was inspired. :allears:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Watched World War Z yesterday, did they ever actually say exactly what Brad Pitt's old job was other than "someone who used to work for the U.N."?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apparently he used to be one of the 4 horsemen.
I forgot where I heard it first (maybe here) but I was telling my husband the movie was much more fun if you perceived his character as Death. Seriously Gerry, everything you touch turns to poo poo.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

THIS FILM IS ALL ABOUT KEN WANTANABE, BRYAN CRANSTON, AND A GIANT FUCKOFF MONSTER, AND IT IS TOTALLY NOT ABOUT SOME RANDOM GOOBER'S FAMILY
APRIL O'NEIL AND HER FATHER'S VILLAINOUS FRIEND, OH AND SOME REPTILES

HUGE MECHANICAL ALIENS loving EACH OTHER'S poo poo UP SOME SPAZZY GUY SHOUTING 'NO' IN FRONT OF EXPLODING TITTIES

I didn't watch these movies

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I think Mystique cut some chains that closed a door to cut their fight off from the other three. Think that's about it.

Here we go.
http://youtu.be/bIM0m_rZxQ8?t=40s

kinmik has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Oct 8, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

LoonShia posted:

I'm a faceburster.

I vomit a lot.
I would assume you just had a really pimply face.

:barf:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

sulphix posted:

I still feel awkward/guilty trying to explain to people why I watch the Walking Dead.
Because just like with Lost and Sherlock, you would otherwise have absolutely no idea what everyone was talking about around the water cooler.

Also because Norman Reedus.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I laughed my crabs off for a week when she killed that other little girl. They clearly meant it to be this huge moment that would shock people and it was so predictable and stupid - they clearly think they're making The Wire or Breaking Bad or something but they're so pedestrian it hurts. Like the episode the other week with that lass in the hospital - you know from the very start it's going to turn out to be a rapey hospital because they've done cannibals and psychopaths and rape is next on the big list of shocking things they're working from.
They actually addressed "rapey" late in season 4, when Rick's son is being manhandled by a dude. Then Rick turns around and bites another man's throat out. I kinda liked that part.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Android Bicyclist posted:

Speaking of The Walking Dead, It's established at the CDC that everybody is infected and will turn when they die, but I'm still bugged that the guys from Terminus all freak out when they find out Tom is infected when they start chowing own on his leg. It's not like they're eating decayed zombie flesh; Tom's living & breathing (for the time being). I know it's really an issue of us the viewers knowing more than the characters, hence the "irrationally irritating."
Bob
:goonsay:

Though Bob is about as nondescript a name as Tom, honestly.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I don't get it.
I forget the rest, but your mother's a whore. :wotwot:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

Netflix didn't want to give me subtitles on s2 of Orange is the New Black so the scenes that are entirely in Spanish were a bit of an adventure to try to understand.

I hate it in shows/movies when they get someone to speak a foreign language that that person doesn't actually speak but they pretend they're a native speaker. I know the politics of casting people of one ethnicity to play another are complicated, but I don't think it's too much to ask that if you've got a Chinese character and you want them to speak Mandarin on the show, you get an actual Chinese actor who can actually speak Mandarin. See also: Abed in Community and Arabic. In this day and age you're definitely going to have speakers of whatever language it is watching your show and it is going to sound like nails on a chalkboard to them.
To me, the most egregious example of this is one of Devon Aoki's roles in a forgettable movie (I literally forgot the name) where she's supposed to be the daughter of a yakuza boss or something and she says all her Japanese lines in the most atrocious accent. You couldn't even have a native speaker teach her to recite them phonetically?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm pretty sure the plan was to clone himself to lead the tour at some point. I remember them discussing early Hammond clone failures. In fact, in the original novel, compys with bits of Hammond's DNA became a nuisance when they made it to South America by sneaking on cargo boats. The US government became involved when several Americans were killed. The compys spared no expats.
I...

That big red report button was callin' to me, man.

Goddammit. :golfclap:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

what a lame reason to be itching to report someone

Frostwerks posted:

What sort of poo poo-tard would report someone over that? Goddamn dude.
Welcome to the internet, dicknuts. I was being facetious. Wedge your balls out of your assholes.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

It's an issue that's been addressed before in this thread. In the movie, it was mentioned that the kaiju's blood was highly radioactive, so it can be seen that a bladed weapon might have been a last ditch effort, as opposed to bludgeoning their heads in with their fists until they stopped moving.

I dunno.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I remember hearing a similar conspiracy theory about how most films with a black lead will have a hispanic love interest because if Will Smith ever kissed a white woman, america would burn.
But...Hancock? :confused:

I must have missed the Burninating.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

That gate noise drives me up the loving wall, so very overused. Oh look they are moving a prison door? Brace for stock sound!
That example is exactly the thing I was coming to post about. In the Sleepy Hollow television pilot, Crane is locked up and put in a holding cell. Door opens, stock sound; door closes, exact same sound. It just lodged in my brain and stuck there for the next two episodes.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I'm irritated there wasn't an after-the-credits scene, with the janitor (Stan Lee) cleaning up after the avengers.

He polishes Cap's shield, collects Hawkeye's recipients from home depot, picks up and dusts under Thor's hammer...
Haven't seen it yet, but now I'm a little crushed it doesn't have something like that. It sounds adorable. :3:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Saw Age of Ultron yesterday and I hated that Sam Wilson/Falcon is a bookend in the movie. Shows up in the beginning at the party and at the very end as a "new Avenger". When War Machine was flying around picking off the Ultron army in the air I was getting pumped like, "Yeah! War Machine! Aaaand...Falcon! :D ...And Sam! :) Falcon. Now. :geno: No Falcon. :saddowns:" I know he said to Cap "Oh Avenging is your thing I'll stick to thinning out the missing persons list" and stuff but I would think the fate of the world would pull him out to help. I was real disappointed with that. Great movie otherwise.

And the Agents of SHIELD episode last night would have confused a whole lot of people who haven't seen the movie. I actually turned to my husband and said it was a hell of a good thing we had watched it five hours earlier.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

This too. Again notice how the theory explains one thing a lot of people are bitching about-- Ultron's motivations.
It's probably just my memory being spotty but I thought his motivations were solely "No gently caress you, dad!"

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Do we have to spoiler this really? He's dead in the movies because they don't loving know. Fury used his death as a way to get them to work together better, telling him "haha yea i secretly brought him back" would gently caress that up and make them distrust him even more.
I recently saw a clip of that scene where Fury throws the bloody Captain America cards on the table to show Cap and Stark saying, "These were on him when he died, way to go you immature shits." Later Hill calls him out on it, pointing out that they were in his locker at the time. What the hell did Fury do, go to Coulson's locker, pull them out and swipe them over a gaping wound on his most prized agent? poo poo's hosed up, Fury.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Though I can see why some people would take umbrage with a literal wife-beater.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I was watching G.I. Joe Retaliation (I'm sorry) and in the very first scene, Dwayne Johnson puts on what basically amounts to a pair of gloves that superheat themselves to melt through a chain link fence. I winced through that whole thing. Why gloves? Why not a wand so that the molten steel that drips down from the fence above doesn't hit your skin while you're doing it? Also RZA. Also the whole drat thing.

I did like Ray Park as Snake Eyes though.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

That would explain how something else less than human lifted it so easily.
That's racist.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

In Princess Mononoke, when did Moro's head come detached from her body to bite that one lady's arm off toward the end? Even as a kid, that part always stood out and confused me.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

That's kind of what didn't make sense to me. Moro appeared to just kind of quietly die at the edge of the pool and then when next we see her it's her opening her eyes and her head wriggling over. What we saw of the Forest God's blood doesn't seem to have the ability to eat through flesh, just to "suck the life out of you", as we saw with the troops that got flooded with it. Iunno. Semantics. :shrug:

E: no, you know what, you might be right. I think what you're saying is that she got hit with enough force with a globule that it was sufficiently able to disconnect her head from her body? I really need to marathon Miyazaki's movies.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 22:35 on May 29, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also, physiology complaint: what the gently caress is a ten year old leukemia patient doing having a period?
Sadly (in America, at least), recent studies have shown that girls as young as seven are getting their periods. It seems to be affected most drastically by poor diet, and so the majority of that population are obese girls. The girl in the movie seems to be a pretty healthy weight though? I'm not a nutritionist or dietician anyway.

My IIMM is obviously fake rocks. Some characters are creeping around in a cave apparently comprised entirely of styrofoam. The only movie I can think of that did it very well was Shelob's cave in LotR: The Two Towers. Even then, we had that wobbling stalactite in the Glittering Caves under Helm's Deep, which was hilarious.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

It's the exact opposite. Onset of menarche is *delayed* by poor nutrition. It's been occurring at earlier and earlier ages over the past century, everywhere that people have access to enough food/micronutrients, and decent health systems that limit the occurrence of disease. There may be other influencing factors (like birth-control-pill metabolites in the water supply, etc), but "Most experts...agree that the early decline in the age of puberty is likely directly attributable to decreased rates of disease and increased nutrition, and the ability of human females to adapt their sexual maturation to environmental cues (e.g., health, food and shelter)."

http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39365

Certain treatments for leukemia might induce early menarche.
Consider me educated.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its so blatant sometimes it reminds me of old Scooby Doo Hanna-Barbera cartoons, where the cel animation style meant that backgrounds were sometimes not the same color as objects in the background even though they were supposed to be. So you'd have Shaggy and Scooby walking through a valley and there's all these rocks that are one color, and then all of a sudden there's a big bolder and its like a bright grey instead of a dark grey, it sticks out like a sore thumb. As soon as you see that you know that rock is going to be animated, there's a 90% chance somebody's gonna roll that rock over and jump out to spook Shaggy. Same with doors; if a door blends in to the background it won't be opened but if it stands out brighter its definitely about to open.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Unmature posted:

The cut in that will always piss me off. That movie has the terriblest editing.
This actually reminded me of a small bit from The Sound of Music. There's a scene where the Captain pulls the Nazi party's flag from the side of his house and tears it in half. After he pulls it from the pole we can see him fiddling around the edge for the tear they made for him. I have never been able to unsee that after my dad pointed it out twelve years ago.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Ehh, I think Furiosa is only about 27-8. She just seems older due to her environment. Max is easily just a really spry and fit 45 y/o.
Some eagle-eyed viewer saw that Max's bloodbag info tattooed on his back said he was 12045 days, so that would make him about 33. My gripe with that is, if he had fulfilled that particular role further along the line, would they have had to update that information? Unless they just keep the date they found him and made him a bloodbag.

Also, there's a continuity error before Max and Furiosa fight next to the War Rig. Nux is initially laying face down where Max dropped him, but there's a few cuts (notably when Max drinks) where he's shown on his back. It's a minor nitpick but that's my IIMM.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Spoilers for Jurassic World I guess?
In the climactic fight, if the T-rex's brain can parse the fact that she was saved by Blue, wouldn't she also have this huge instinctual hatred of raptors, seeing as how she's the OG Rex from the first movie and she got the scars after being attacked by others raptors? I do love that it's the some one, though. Also, I like to imagine that soon after Blue parted ways from Owen, sparing him, Claire, and the kids, she immediately attacked some other poor straggling survivor.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just assumed it decided it had enough, and killing something that isn't currently posing a threat wasn't worth the effort.
Makes sense. "I'm too old for this poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

My Irrational Irritation with Harry Potter is that some people are so appropriately named. I know :thejoke:, and it's fun to realize it when you hash out the pun, but forty years prior, Mr. and Mrs. Scamander decided that they should name their son Newt because he would grow up to write a book about magical reptiles beasts, sorry.