Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

King Prawn ain't wrong.

MrGreenShirt posted:

That robot's even better in motion!

He was using it to scare baby monkeys into choosing which "mother" they preferred, a fluffy "mother" or a terrifying wire-mesh "mother" that dispensed milk.

And that is completely horrifying, jesus christ

For content, here's a perennial favourite: Albert Fish. Cannibal and general shitheel. Article includes an excerpt from that dreadful letter he sent the mother of the child he ate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ernie Muppari posted:

Man, he better have been trying to hide his terrible poo poo, otherwise this mostly looks like various US & AU medical boards being unwilling to do anything about a fantastically poo poo doctor even when his fellow medical staff are constantly trying to alert said boards to his shittiness.

Umm, sorry you had to find this out here, man.

quote:

Medical victims of a jailed cocaine-addict surgeon have called for an independent audit of his patient database to establish how many botched operations resulted in death or suspicious injury. The Medical Council of NSW knew Suresh Nair had a severe cocaine addiction as far back as 2004, but allowed him to continue operating as a neurosurgeon at Nepean Hospital until November 2009.

Dude doesn't have a wikipedia article, though

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

moller posted:

Different states have implemented laws to fulfill the requirements of the VAWA in different ways. Some states charge the victim a large bill up front with promise of reimbursement in the future. Some states have unrealistically low caps on the amount paid for services to the victim - such as Oklahoma's limit of $450, less than a third of the cost of the tests. Other states put severe limitations on circumstances under which the victim can seek reimbursement such as Louisiana's rule that

A prosecutor in Michigan turned over a metaphorical rock and found 11,000 untested rape kits, some dating to the 1980s, ostensibly left to sit because no one had paid for the testing. Looking through them allowed her to close several cases and pinpoint serial rapists who had gone unpunished.

More from Human Rights Watch
An in-depth state by state analysis by the Urban Institute (pdf warning)

One silver lining is that the 2015 version of vawa forces states to pay for untested rape kits, but it still allows them to try to get the victim to pay first, and given that there will be 50 different implementations applied to dozens of hospital chains each, some flaws will still remain.

The "hosed up place" you referred to could easily be roughly half of the US, pretty much the same states that sued to be exempt from the medicaid expansion.

Well that's definitely scary or unnerving, gently caress.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Nettle Soup posted:

Depends on how severe it is, go through my ? for when you posted that before. :v: I linked a good documentary and such about it.

Some kids will, they'll eat their hair and pick their skin and eat out of bins. Live animals would probably require some form of social conditioning on top of it.

Actually, that video doesn't seem to be available any more. But yeah, it is a disturbing disease, the thought of having the constant feeling of starvation is horrible.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Does that help?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

"A spokesperson for the Department of Family and Community Services said the children were now safe and living with foster parents.

The department declined to explain why it had taken two years and seven risk-of-harm reports before the children were removed."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/children-removed-after-generations-of-incest-20131206-2ywrt.html#ixzz3t99Ux2E2

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I can't stand Sword and Scale, those people are so fuckin self-righteous. I really like Caustic Soda and Last Podcast On The Left, I think they've both been posted in this thread. I'd love to find more podcasts like that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Why did they eat the food after he said that??

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Good on that Craigslist conman.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Harold Stassen posted:

Harold Holt, the sitting Australian PM who went for a swim within sight of his friends and disappeared forever without a trace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt#Disappearance

http://harold-holt.net/

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The Lone Badger posted:

Australians are racist as gently caress.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

willus posted:

there's something else that gets around it by leaving the body for a few days until the poison is all gone but gently caress if I can remember what it is

Crocs will eat the legs of the toads (which are also not filled with poison) but that's all I could think of.

Researchers are tossing cane toad sausages out of helicopters over the NT to try to train quolls not to eat them. That's not really creepy though that's just a little peculiar. But apparently it works. [source]

Australia, like Canada, has a lot of problems with being monstrous towards our indigenous peoples. In 1992 there was a Royal Commission to investigate black deaths in custody. Cops would take people in non-airconditioned police vans from their very remote communities (not using that phrase for exaggeration, that's what they are called to distinguish them from remote communities for legislative reasons!) in the middle of the desert, for upwards of four hours to rural centres were the gaols were. People died.

Oh wait did I say that in the past tense? Naw that all still happens. How far have we gone in improving indigenous incarceration rates and deaths in custody in the 25 years since that commission? Backwards, you say?

Somewhere on ABC there's another transcript or article about an indigenous boy who was murdered and no investigation was ever properly done... I can't seem to find it at the moment. The kid's body was found in a dam with rocks weighing him down, and was last seen with a sketchy whitefella they think murdered him. No investigation.

At any rate RN's Law Report has transcripts for each program and some of them are pretty messed up.

Oh, how about this? Two years ago a homeless woman in Sydney was murdered in an acid attack. It took a few weeks for her to die after she was found in bushland, and they think she may have been attacked some time prior to that. I don't think they ever found out who killed her.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A combination of :smith: and strangely uplifting for what he's accomplished.

How a Son Survived Being Injected with HIV by His Father

Fuckkkk the bits with the letters from the father's supporters and the dad being like "well HIV is a myth anyway :smug:"
ughhhhhh

great article though, drat..

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The Milgram experiments were also done in La Trobe, Victoria (Australia). Here's an interview that talks with some of the people who were involved: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/beyond-the-shock-machine/4044812

quote:

Lynne Malcolm: Tell me your memory of your involvement?

Diane Backwell: Well I went along, there was a little caravan that the La Trobe site department had purpose built and the girl that had asked me to help her was behind a screen. There was another person there who was the prompter, I would ask a question and to start with she got the questions correct and everything was going along fine and then she got t a wrong answer and I gave her the shock and then she continued to get a number of questions wrong and the intensity that I was giving her the shock increased and if I would question the person beside her, her prac partner would tell me that I had to keep going and then she started to make louder and louder noises and screamed and I remember saying this is ridiculous that I can’t do this and the person beside me was saying you have to keep going, you’re committed to do this, you know that she’ll fail if you don’t do it and she’s got to learn it. Then the last one was when she was silent and I didn’t know whether I’d actually killed her and just remembering the ridiculous thought process that she’s already dead and another one is not going to hurt. And if she’s not then I’ve got to keep doing it because if I don’t it’s going to be my fault that she has to leave university.

Lynne Malcolm: And then after that were you consoled in any way?

Diane Blackwell: No, it was the opposite to consolation at the end of it. She came out from behind the screen and she and her prac partner it was almost like they thought it was really funny, this joke, it was like oh, you really didn’t shock me the experiment wasn’t on me the experiment was on you and you went the whole way, like you would have killed me, you were like one of the people that did that to the people in the Holocaust. And then there was just disbelief and I got back to La Trobe and my friend Ade was there and I told him about what I had just done and he said yeah, I know, I was in that as well but I told them where to go. And I remember feeling that made it even worse, like it wasn’t the experiment itself, we’d both underwent the same thing, he’d chosen not to do it and I chosen to do it, so it was absolutely definitely a statement about who I was.

Lynne Malcolm: And how do you think it’s affected you as a person since it was a long time ago, how has it affected you over all those years?

Diane Backwell: Well I haven’t actually stopped thinking about that since it happened back in 1973; it has just been part of who I am ever since that day.

Diane: Well I’m another Diane and in 1973 I was approached, really the same story in what Diane has said, but I think I read about this in the newspaper, couldn’t believe it, it was on the front page of one of our daily newspapers and I must say it was cathartic and it felt quite good that other people had experienced these shocking experiences to use the pun as we all have been I think. But it’s always with you, I mean I have thought that I have risen above it or beyond it in the 39 years but certainly it was coming out again in recent times and you realise that it is with you. I’m probably now as angry as I was 39 years ago that the powers that be will likely get away with what they did all those years ago.

Diane Backwell: It’s just one thing Roger was a person who did the experiment back in 1973 and he pulled out, he gave a couple of shocks and then stopped and left and when he was interviewed for Gina’s book, he said the thing that haunts me about it is how would I live with myself if I’d kept going. I’ve thought about it many times over the years, it had a profound effect on me; I’d been the sort of kid that went along with others even if I knew something was wrong. So that sense of relief afterwards, I was just so relieved and when I read Gina’s book it was like that said everything for me because for the rest or Roger’s life he had that to hold on to that he didn’t do it and that was the inner core and essence of him. Whereas for me, I had done it and for the rest of my life I knew that that, to use the words of the man in America, that black evil part was my core. So that’s the effect that it had on me.

The interview goes on for much longer than that, it's a pretty interesting listen (or read, transcript's available)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Yeah, besides that the lake is very carefully cultivated to look welcoming. It has a small little sandy beach where the child was wading, it's right by the resort. It doesn't look like a place they want you to keep your children away from. That "warning" sign is totally inadequate, and there's no staff warning people - hell, a lady posted a photo of her child wading in the same place less than two hours later.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

willus posted:

we run concentration camps for refugees fleeing violence in other countries so this doesn't really come as a surprise

e: both major parties' party line is that these concentration camps are necessary to secure a strong future for the country

Unironically titled "The Pacific Solution"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

That drat Satyr posted:

Are personal unnerving stories ok in this thread?

I related this story in a different thread, but it kind of feels like it fits here. My long and strange nightmare of 15 years of internet stalker- turned- real life stalker psychopath. The woman that has been doing these things is a notorious internet trainwreck and unfortunately she's just smart enough to cause real, lasting damage. Sigh.

Trigger warning for rape accusations and kind of graphic death threats. :ohdear:

http://brainmurk.tumblr.com/post/151603563235/myinternetstalkingnightmare

That's remarkably messed up

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Jack Gladney posted:

It's called Boomerang, but I've had a hell of a time finding info on it because lots of shows have had that name. It airs at 10:00am on The Works (one of those weird-rear end broadcast-only digital subchannels). It marks itself many times during broadcast as "a Jack Sheridan production" and was originally for Channel Four in Australia. The kids are known by first name only and nobody else is credited that I would have any chance of googling. It's kind of like my own Candle Cove, really. There's just something unsettling about the dreary, blurry video and happy kids talking about gallows and fatal spider bites and historical dysentery.

The National Film and Sound Archive might have a copy, but if they do it may or may not have been digitised. I haven't been able to find it on their online collection, but I might not be looking right.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

DumbparameciuM posted:

See also: "Pointing the Bone"

In :siren: breaking :siren: news, Four people got minced by a family ride at Dreamworld, a theme park on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Not a lot of details but the response workers are traumatised by what they saw. Four people receiving "injuries incompatible with life", likely because they got sucked into belts...what a hosed way to go :smith:

continuing the long tradition of people getting killed horribly in amusement parks, huh?

quote:

Lisa Walker, a New Zealander visiting from New Guinea where she works as a police officer, was one of the patrons trickling out and said she had been on the Thunder River Rapids ride only 10 or 15 minutes before the accident. She went back to the area after hearing commotion and sirens.

“We were around the area afterwards and saw people coming out very distressed. We saw a lady and a man run back who must have had family in there.”

A distressed young girl was being comforted by police, Walker said.

Referring to the Thunder River Rapids Ride, Walker said: “It is one of the most tame rides here and certainly one for the families.”

quote:

Two riders were understood to be trapped by the underwater conveyor belt after the ride in front up-ended and two people were trapped in the raft. Two other riders were able to escape.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

WickedHate posted:

Technically, it wasn't even his taunting. He straight up just asked them if they could trace a floppy disk, and they said no, so he sent one and got caught.

Which is still loving hilarious. "Can you trace me by floppy disk? No lying!" "uh yeah no we definitely couldn't do that" "lol ok here you go"
eat poo poo Rader, you dumb dickhead

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Basebf555 posted:

States should have mandatory "execution duty" just like jury duty, where citizens are entered into a drawing to decide who's duty it is to witness a scheduled execution. Maybe if people were forced to witness, or at least accept the idea that there's a chance they may have to, they'd change their minds about it.

Nah they should do it like they did it in the old British colonies, first person to get the death sentence gets to become the executioner.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Wwwwwelp that took a much more hosed-up turn than I was expecting.

That MIL is a piece of poo poo too, apple don't fall far from the tree

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

whiteyfats posted:

There were at least several more bodies the accomplices told the police about, but the cops stopped looking once they broke the record for serial killer victims.

Yep, they didn't want to look too bad about letting so many kids die. The police were incredibly incompetent through the whole case. So many kids were going missing in the heights, and the cops ignored every last one of them. One of the victims was last seen around Corll, which was reported to the police, but they never looked into it at all.

The best article on it isn't wikipedia of course, The Texas Monthly has a really good piece on it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Aleph Null posted:

This one time, a demon was sitting on my chest.

I think that's what's called the fencing response

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Caustic Soda's a good podcast that covers a lot of creepy topics. They finished it up though so there's no new episodes, but what they've done is good

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

The Hometown Murder episodes of MFM are the best part I think, them reading emails from people describing murders that happened in their hometowns.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Wasabi the J posted:

Bulls don't have udders

Our bulls are going to have the best udders. The best.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

was your mum's employee a guinea fowl?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I have also watched far too much of that show. I cannot deal with Candice though, god drat she says the dumbest things all of the time. "This woman was heavily abused all of her life" "WHAT COULD HAVE LED HER TO KILL??"
She does make it fun to yell at the TV though

she also guests on Dr Phil sometimes, and she is not at all out of place there

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Sarcopenia posted:

Pfffft. Look at those former quiverpussies whinning about their dumb bitch made cult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_(Australian_New_Age_group)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_International

:smuggo:

The Grau had a good article about The Family (that cult was previously called "Great White Brotherhood"...): https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/20/growing-up-with-the-family-inside-anne-hamilton-byrnes-sinister-cult

quote:

The survivors recall being given daily doses of Mogadon and Valium as children to keep them docile. Then, usually when they reached the age of 14, they underwent formal initiation into the cult by being given “huge, relentless doses of LSD” in trips that often lasted several days, says Chris Johnston. LSD was part of the cult’s fabric. The prolonged doses were harrowing, even for adult followers. The effects were catastrophic on some of the young teenagers, who suffered depression, personality changes, nightmares and social withdrawal, sometimes for months afterwards. And that was on top of all their other childhood traumas.

Rosie Jones says “the longlasting nature” of the emotional and psychological trauma experienced by the cult’s survivors shocked her the most during the making of her documentary. “It made me realise the critical importance of love in a child’s background.” For most of the children, Hamilton-Byrne was the only mother they had. In a police interview shortly after the 1987 raid, one rescued teenager tried to explain how she felt. “It’s hard to say how devoted we were to her; how we hung off her every look and every thought she had about us. We wanted so much for her to love us, but I don’t think she ever really did.”

Extraordinarily wealthy, with overseas properties in Kent and upstate New York, Hamilton-Byrne managed to hide her whereabouts for two years preceding her capture. She was eventually extradited to Australia from the US to face charges of conspiracy to defraud over fake birth certificates – the only charges dogged detective Lex de Man felt would stick, and his best hope of forcing her to face any sort of justice. Now she has dementia, her victims have had to come to terms with the fact that she will never be brought to account fully for her bizarre and unusual cruelty. It’s probably little consolation that all she has left to torment is a plastic doll.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Here's the pic, by the way

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

Here's a mutant frog with its eyes in its mouth.

what!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

John Big Booty posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Excuse you

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only good bird is a dead bird. Eat all the birds.

whoah

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Droogie posted:

don't murder anyone.

dealbreaker

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

hooray, goon project!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Sure they had a chimpanzee in Jonestown and it was shot as part of the mass-suicide

quote:

As I gazed upon the scene, Colonel Gordon, the gruff no-nonsense joint task force commander approached. “Brailey,” he barked as he returned my salute, “Did y’all bring a psych tech with you from Panama?”

“No sir,” I answered. “Why?”

“They were trying to put that dead go-rilla into a body bag,” he claimed.

Mr. Muggs was a huge chimpanzee Jones kept in a cage near his cottage. It was rumored that small children were placed in the cage with the old primate as a form of punishment.

I had seen Mr. Muggs during my first tour of Jonestown a week earlier. He had been shot to death. That dead chimp smelled much worse than any of the human remains.

Gordon went on, “They kept tryin’ to push that big go-rilla’s shoulders into the body bag, but they just couldn’t get it zipped up. I watched them for a few minutes until one of them graves registration guys was gonna hack its shoulders off with a machete.”

“Hold it, I commanded,” said Colonel Gordon in a loud voice to replicate the one he used in Jonestown, “Why are you gonna hack that go-rilla up?”

“Because he won’t fit into the body bag, sir,” came the respectful reply from the ringleader of the practical jokers.

“But why are you putting him in a body bag anyway?” came the exasperated question of the colonel.

“Why, sir? Why? Just wait until they open this one in Dover!” was the devilish reply of the leering GREGG soldier.

(Author’s note: In the first edition of this book, written in 1998, I reported that Mr. Muggs was the only Jonestown resident from the United States who remained in Guyana. I was wrong. The mortuary affairs specialist who opened a body bag at Dover that was occupied by a gorilla told me the truth after he read my book.)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Phanatic posted:

The victims are all their children.

They didn't their entire lives chained to a bed but if you look at their Facebook photos and the words "freaky-rear end Disney-themed cult" don't spring to mind, I don't know what to tell ya.

https://www.facebook.com/davidlouise.turpin

Please tell me you took screenshots

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Yes, it sure would be terrible if America treated its prisoners on death row horribly inhumanely. Good thing they definitely don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Save your outrage for someone who deserves it. The guy who got shot was wrong all the way, from parking in the handicap spot, to coming up from the side and assaulting the dude. The video is clear. You run around attacking people in a state full of gun nuts with stand-your-ground laws, and you’re going to end up shot.

And it's OK to fatally shoot somebody over poo poo like that? jfc