Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gibfender posted:

I'm a big fan of this BBC docu-drama covering the immediate aftermath:

http://youtu.be/yk3-XUe0oEU

That is some high-quality TV right there. I think I've watched it like 8 times by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

You can't make a megapost about unbuilt insane structures without mentioning The Palace of the Soviets. Nearly 500 meters of weapons-grade :ussr: :smug:, featuring a bronze Lenin twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty.

A photoshop showing how it might've looked in present-day Moscow had it been built:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bompacho posted:

That's Cassius, currently the largest Crocodile in captivity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_(crocodile)

Kicker is, he's just the largest in captivity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile

I remember watching Rogue, a fairly crappy horror movie about a giant saltwater crocodile stalking and killing a group of tourists. Afterwards I was like "Heh, well, there's no way they grow that big in real life, right?" :smug:

*checks Wikipedia article*

:stare: ... :stonk:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

p-hop posted:

Reminds me of a nasty plant we have here in New York state, Giant Hogweed.

Oh god jesus gently caress this goddamn plant. :smith:

Spent most of a summer a few years ago with a 2" by 3" reddish-black blistering burn mark on my left thigh.

It's literally the Xenomorph from the Alien movies in (giant) plant form.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

It doesn't justify the abuse but I've heard that Falun Gong is one of those cults that takes money in exchange for the promise of special powers like Scientology and Happy Science (not sure how big these guys are compared to the others but I found out about them when I walked by a branch in my city, wtf)

It's basically crazy-rear end apocalypse Buddhism. The world is doomed because the sheeple are dumb and unenlightened. Signs of lacking spiritual enlightenment might include horrible crimes like homosexuality or interracial marriage. Aliens are walking the earth in disguise, and Supreme Enlightened Leader Li can totally fly (but due to his humble nature refrains from doing this in public, of course). If you get sick, it's divine punishment for your poor karma. Also, Western medicine is the devil, but traditional Chinese medicine can cure everything.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

This could easily also go in the badass thread:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people

This article is pretty much a must-read if you're the least bit interested in the Sentinelese:

The Last Island of the Savages

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Have they made this into a television film yet? Can they please not because I don't want it to exist.

Too late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Storm

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

Who the hell jacks it to still pictures anymore? Hey, here are some racy daguerreotypes for ya. :corsair:

:stare:

Yep, that sure is a bunch of 19th-century vaginas.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Basticle posted:

Been catching up on this thread and wanted to post that this is a fascinating article but is it missing the rest of it? It sort of just ends

I think that's how it ends, unfortunately. Unless they left out the ending on purpose, AFAIK it's a reprint of a magazine article.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Harold Stassen posted:

Neither the blimp nor the people aboard it have ever been found. THAT to me is loving unnerving :stare:

Wouldn't the most reasonable explanation be that it drifted away and eventually fell into the sea?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FourLeaf posted:

Is there any way to retrieve/find them?

Trust me, you don't want that. :barf:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up in Europe and then emigrated to the Pacific Northwest (US). Germans/Europeans don't look at a world map when they are planning their meticulous trips. German LOVE LOVE LOVE to plan trips with maps and poo poo, at least all of my family did/does.
No, instead they'll be looking at local or national road maps like they're used to from home. And they won't notice that the scaling is far different. They look at relative size of things and relative distances.

It's already in the thread somewhere, but, yeah, looks like you're right about that. :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

poo poo, just using stupid pseudoscience poo poo like FC should probably be an imprisonable offense even if you didn't use it to rape someone.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh. I'll just pack my bags and move into the mountains as soon as I get pregnant.

>CLICK HERE< for the Sarcopenia Mountain Pregnancy Challenge! :getin:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Azathoth posted:

However, I would recommend folks avoid Sword and Scale. It's well-made, in that it's competently presented, produced, and edited, but his whole take on mental illness is lovely and it really colors his stories.

Is there an actual podcast somewhere in Sword and Scale? I tried a few episodes but it 98% of it seems to consist of low quality phone interviews and police/court audio recordings.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I liked sword and scale early on but it's pretty much poo poo now. Like someone else said, it seems like it's just endless conversations with the authors of some new book or audio of 911 calls and poo poo. The guy that narrates it is a dingus too.

I wouldn't mind the narrator if he, you know, actually did some narration instead of

<slurry 30-minute phone interview>
"However, nobody would expect...this!"
<45-minute recording of a court hearing>
"Well, that certainly was a thing that happened. See you next time!"

LPotL, on the other hand, was just aggressively bad. I was worried I'd break the screen on my phone with how fiercely I hit "Unsubscribe".

While we're on the subject, are there any good podcasts that focus on weird and unnerving stuff and events in general? Things like Dyatlov pass, Taman Shud, the Isdal woman, etc.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

My eyes are tired and I read this as "without a dick" and I was like wow, brave

New Scientist posted:

She described herself at one point as being ‘psychologically completely out of phase, where I no longer know what my values are or what is my purpose in life’.

Checks out. :quagmire:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Maybe the hatch disintegrated her head? I dunno how physics work in Denmark it could be like mortal kombat stuff. Was she found sorrounded by like 20 pelvises that exploded out of her?

Also, latest news says he claims her pantyhose and underwear accidentally fell off as he was hoisting her body up to dump it overboard. :psyduck:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

It may also be due to the fact that he has gangrene of the soul and is nothing but a sackful of human offal. He is rotting from the inside and it shows.

There are criminals who are charismatic, funny, interesting and, quite often, tragic. Debs is none of these things. He is simply evil. Bad to the bone. An oxygen burner who three courts in two states have decided must be segregated from the rest of us - forever.

Wow. Is this the Daily Mail of Australia or something?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This has been posted several times already, but I can’t seem to find it; does anyone have the link to the story about the guy who was axed in the head while sleeping, then later got up and tried to go about his normal morning routine before finally expiring right outside his front door?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pick posted:

Christopher Porco is the murderer, the victim was Peter Porco.

That’s the one. Thanks!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I'll give a counterpoint: the host has lovely opinions about the mentally ill and presents anyone suffering from schizophrenia as a ticking time bomb just waiting for the right trigger to start murdering. It's 80s infotainment level sensationalism

Yeah, it’s this. S&S is a garbage podcast made by a lovely sexist trash person.

Azathoth posted:

though with admittedly great production values.

Wait, what? Admittedly I only listened to 10-12 episodes before giving up completely, but 95% of them consisted of either poorly edited phone interviews with some sheriffs deputy’s second cousin drawling for thirty minutes in a thick accent or old taped court recordings where you can’t hear what half the people present are saying.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I might be mixing Band of Brothers up in my head with WW2 in Color. I take in a lot of WW2 stuff in my spare time.

It was definitely a thing that happened, and in more than one place.
:nms:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ewe2 posted:

For reference, the 1970's World At War series also showed live footage of town residents made to help bury the dead, regardless of their claims they knew nothing of the nearby camps. It may well have been this very :nms: footage. There's some icky stills on that page, you have been warned.

The radio broadcast from Buchenwald by Edward Murrow that they reference in the article is available on YouTube and well worth listening to.

“If I have offended you by this rather mild account of Buchenwald, I am not in the least sorry.”

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Must've crossed the wrong guy.

That did cross my mind as well. In any case, it’s one hell of a way to get your point across.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://longform.org/sections/crime Is your best source for unnerving articles. I'm not up for creeping myself out so I won't trawl through them, but there's usually something awful in there

There’s also a PYF Longform article thread right here on SA.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Just to check, since you didn't mention it, but have you checked out Casefile?

Is that the one where the host has a thick Australian accent? Hearing him try to pronounce non-English names is a wild ride. :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

n’thing the recommendation of Reply All, it’s amazing.

The episode they did on the 30-50 feral hogs meme was way more interesting than it had any right to be.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pick posted:

Remember the lady with four boyfriends who were going to raise the baby together?

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200325/jacksonville-man-jailed-in-abuse-of-5-week-old-baby

Content warning: extreme child abuse

Looks like the site isn't available in the EU. Any chance someone could post a C/P of the actual article?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Phy posted:

If it helps at all, I think it's supposed to be pronounced oh-oh-chi. Japanese doubles up vowels like that, but writing a double O as "Oochi" plays even worse with English speakers used to words like "booze" and "goose", so usually when I see "Ou" it's a drawn-out O instead of an Ow.

Doesn't matter, people will be furiously scrambling to make that dumb joke every single time the story gets posted on the forums.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jesus christ :stonk:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

nishi koichi posted:

edit: should mention if you’ve had any abuse and trauma, tread lightly with this one. unpleasant things floating up again

yeah jesus christ no loving joke that really did a number on me :smithicide:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I’m too shaken to look into this stuff further atm. This is a hell country with hell people on a hell world and capitalism is a disease.

Don't. There's always more and it's always worse.

And it's not limited to the US, either.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lots of odd details coming out in the news about that one. Getting a conviction might not be that easy, because apparently he wasn’t technically imprisoned as the door was never locked.

Oh, and it’s been implied that relatives were semi-aware of the situation the entire time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Wait, does coercion and abuse such that you don't need to lock the door to cow someone you've raised to never leave not count as some form of imprisonment?

Of course it does. But as far as I’m aware, the legal definition of deprivation of liberty does require that the victim must have been unable to leave of their own volition.

This has some serious mental illness-vibes all over it, and I’m pretty sure whatever we find out in the coming days is going to be worse than we imagined. :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PetraCore posted:

...well, hopefully they're still able to hit the parents with a lot of charges, even if legally imprisonment is out. I mean, this started when he was a minor so that should help with charges, I'd assume.

We'll see. There only seems to be the one parent (the mother) and she's apparently been living with him in what was implied to be hoarder-like squalor for all these years. Relatives have indicated that she became fiercely overprotective of him due to some incident in his early teens.

My guess is that no one's going to actual prison over this. I just hope the poor guy who's been living isolated in filthy conditions for 30 goddamn years can be sufficiently rehabilitated and be able to have an actual life of his own some day. :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

teen witch posted:

However where in the goddamn gently caress was social services?

Anyone who comes into contact with children while working in schools or healthcare is required by law to inform the authorities if they suspect a child may be in danger. However, a lot of the time, they just...don't.

"Yes, we did notice that the child came to school obviously battered and bruised, and we did also overhear their parent threatening to kill them. However, we decided we didn't feel like informing the police and social services because the parent might get mad and that might just make things worse."

(this is an actual thing that happened, by the way)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the reason mandatory reporters are a thing, people who are legally required to report anything even hinting at abuse to a relevant authority, presumably liable to get into deep poo poo if they're found not to have.

Yes, but part of the the problem is that a lot of those mandatory reporters are usually part of a system that can disincentivize them from reporting if what they have is just a suspicion or a hint.

Reporting something means there could be an investigation, which could make your superiors look bad if it should turn out you possibly could have noticed the signs earlier. If your boss gets in trouble, you're going to get poo poo on for causing it. Maybe it's better to just wait, you know? It could be nothing, kids make poo poo up all the time. It's probably fine. And if it isn't, you can always just pretend you never suspected anything.

It's a system that looks great on paper but often fails as soon as it comes into contact with actual human beings.

EDIT: To illustrate my point, there's some more information in the news regarding the case. Apparently his mother had him taken out of school in 7th grade, which isn't legal and is grounds for immediate reporting. Yet for some reason, out of five interviewed school supervisors that worked in the system at the time, not one of them can remember anything at all about the case or why nothing was done about it.

Comrade Koba has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Dec 2, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BrianRx posted:

If you're speaking from personal experience, ignore me because this is not something I've come into contact with in my professional life, but I have heard from teachers who have reported concerns and either nothing at all was done about it (bad) or there was an investigation that the parent was made aware of that was fruitless (worse). In the second case, the abuse could get worse if the parent blamed the child for the report.

Yes, that is indeed something that can happen. However, unless you're an actual social worker or other similar authority, that isn't your call to make. You're legally required to make the report and hand the matter over to the people who specialize in handling this sort of thing. But like I said in my previous post, for a lot of people this is easier said than done.

BrianRx posted:

From more personal experience, way back in high school I was a dorky peer counselor, mostly because I thought it would be a free 'A.' I spoke regularly with about 8 kids who were in really abusive homes. The first time someone told me that they were being abused, I sent it up the ladder to the (adult) coordinator who supervised us. Her advice? "Get them to 18." The state and county I lived in really did not want to separate kids from their biological families and besides, foster care could end up being worse than their current situation. So I tried to be a safe ear for them and help a little with coping strategies they could use to survive until they were adults. Some of them were freshmen. I had no experience with that kind of home and was a child myself, so as I write this I'm realizing how hosed up it was that a) I was in that position with those kids and b) the school extended a hand to help, then said "sorry, we don't want to make your lovely life worse. Be abused until you're legally not a kid anymore. Then if you want, you can move out (you'll have to figure that part out on your own), but you won't be a minor anymore so we won't have to be involved." The only time I was able to get action taken was when an abused kid told me he was suicidal, had a plan, and a date chosen. I ran into him a few years later at a supermarket and he brought it up and told me that the place they sent him was way worse than his situation at home. When I asked if he was doing better, he said "not really." So maybe we did the bare minimum by preventing him from committing suicide, but we really didn't give him the help a kid in distress deserves.

I don't know where the main point of failure was. The county, for not offering better options to kids in distress? The school, for not providing more assistance than one adult and four students? I actually have no idea if the school was reporting anything I told them. I never filled out a form or provided information for any kind of report, just informed the coordinator believing she would handle it. I recall around this time I was thinking about going to school for social work, but my friend's sister who worked in the field talked me out of it. In her experience, she said you could help about 5% of the kids assigned to you, but no amount of blood, sweat, or tears would improve the outcomes of the other 95%. That's depressing as hell.

This is obviously something that varies enormously depending on where you live, and I understand conditions in the US can range from horrible to somewhat decent depending on local legislation. At least that's my impression?

FWIW with regards to your story, I don't think you did anything wrong. You obviously did the best you could given the particular circumstances, and no matter the outcomes I don't think it's fair to blame you for being having that sort of responsibility thrust upon you while still being a child yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rascar Capac posted:

A CIA-backed death squad had been targeting boys as young as 8 in Afghanistan:

https://theintercept.com/2020/12/18/afghanistan-cia-militia-01-strike-force/

quote:

Before long, a crowd had gathered, and one by one, the bodies were moved outside and driven away. Assad Khan and Jamshid, the brothers whose father had promised to bring them new shoes, were among the dead.

Their father, Mahmoud, was still in Kabul when his wife called in a panic. She didn’t say what was wrong but told him to come home straight away. On his way out of Kabul, he stopped at a bazaar and bought two pairs of children’s shoes. He arrived home mid-morning, not long after the bodies of his sons.

“May Allah destroy them all,” he said, recalling the moment he saw his sons dead. There were many bullet wounds. In accordance with Islamic custom for martyrs killed in war, they were buried unwashed, wearing the clothes in which they had been executed.”

quote:

Whenever he sees police or Afghan soldiers, he attacks them with whatever weapon is within reach. He has been beaten several times for his trouble. But his greatest fury is reserved for Americans. “If I take revenge,” he says, “if I kill at least two or three of them, the fire in my heart will end.”

His wife, Malika, has taken to rituals. On Thursday evenings, Mahmoud says, she lays the two silk turbans her sons wore at the madrassa on pillows and tells the room, “Today, my sons are coming home.” And, every morning and every night, she cleans the shoes Mahmoud brought home from Kabul and lays them out for her boys.

jfc :smithicide: