Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Withdrawal Plans posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

In 1979 an Air New Zealand DC10 crashed into Mt Erebus, Antarctica. It was a regular sightseeing tour but the flight plan was altered the night before and the pilots weren't fully informed. All 257 on board died.

My friend's mother was on the cleanup team. She was given a medal for it a little while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

a kitten posted:

Inspired by this thread, or it's previous incarnation I decided to watch the documentary series Paradise Lost about the murder of three little boys at Robin Hood Hills and the trial, imprisonment and eventual freeing of the West Memphis Three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills

I was lucky enough to be at the premiere of Peter Jackson's documentary about them, and he and Damien Echols did a Q&A afterwards. Echols was very well spoken, just a really warm, intelligent guy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I was home sick from school one day, and ended up watching the History Channel screening a documentary about Jonestown followed by one on Waco. That was a hell of a day for 11 year old me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Davfff posted:

e a bit this was widely republished in NZ on websites associated with reputable news papers.

As if we have reputable newspapers.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

You can tell by the slope of their foreheads, the set of their eyes and the shape of their skull.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Billmac posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet in this thread, it's sort of a different idea of ~unnerving~, but it did creep me out a little bit somehow?
What if we actually do live in the end times, but a way more subtle way.

Man, gently caress Fukuyma and his regressive neocon bullshit.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

pienipple posted:

Our you can love yourself and not watch either of those

I watched the two of them in quick succession a few years back. Jesus, that was a bad decision.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Where IS the Ghost Story Thread, anyways?

Not in GBS anymore, that's for sure.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy! Kennedy's was named Lincoln!

Lincoln was in Monroe, Maryland just before he died! Kennedy was in Marilyn Monroe just before he died!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

This is an interesting article I found on Longform, about houses that have been stigmatised in some way due to death or disaster. It's not as good as the Rogers' article, but I thought it was worth a read.

https://read.atavist.com/the-ghosts-of-pickering-trail

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Wait what is the proper doneness of a steak in France

You take the cow into the kitchen, show it the frying pan, let it scream for a bit, then bring it out.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread or not, but I dug this article up for a friend today and thought it would be right up the thread's alley.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117

A look at the semi-religious folklore of homeless kids in Miami back in the nineties.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm into paranormal/cryptozoology podcasts, too, and my favourite right now is definitely Expanded Perspectives because they're a similar change of pace. They don't go into as much detail as some of the others, but when most other podcasts in the genre are just guys snarking at each other, it's refreshing to listen to two guys from Texas who just love them some bigfoot.

I've been really digging Lore lately. It's more about folklore and urban legends than explicitly paranormal stuff, but I really enjoy it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just read Dave Cullen's excellent book on Columbine. If you're an American, you've probably heard about the Columbine high school massacre: in 1990, a sociopath and a deeply depressed student teamed up to kill 13 people and injure 21 more. They shot up the school and then committed suicide.

On this note, I read this article the other day , an interview with Sue Klebold, Dylan Klebold's mother. It's reasonably chilling (and ended up with me wanting to go and hug my mother).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Harold Stassen posted:

Harold Holt, the sitting Australian PM who went for a swim within sight of his friends and disappeared forever without a trace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt#Disappearance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt_Memorial_Swimming_Centre

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

nockturne posted:

If you liked Wake in Fright you'd probably also like Picnic at Hanging Rock, also up on youtube, which is another Australian New Wave film. Bunch of girls disappear at the spooky Hanging Rock in Victoria. I've been there, it is indeed spooky, but the story is fictional. Still a good spooky movie, captures the eerie atmosphere of that area very well, the huge weight of time that hangs over parts of the landscape here. 6.25 million years of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Rock,_Victoria

This is one of my favourite movies ever, and I highly recommend it. The eerie sense of dread permeating the entire film is something I've rarely seen done so well.

cptn_dr has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Apr 29, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I probably shouldn't have read that on my morning train ride. Now I'm second guessing my seating choice. And method of public transport.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I assumed that the last earthquake I felt was just my cat getting inside the couch again. It was only when I saw the news the next morning that I realised it had been an earthquake. The time before that, I assumed it was a big-rear end truck driving somewhere nearby.

Basically, my mind never jumps to "Earthquake", which is probably going to end in disaster for me one day.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My grandmother's great uncle owned a tavern/boarding house around the turn of the century. One of his patron's had been letting a friend sleep on the couch without paying anything. Well great-great-great-Uncle wasn't having a bar of this. He confronted his errant boarder while he was drinking at the bar, and told him that his friend had to pay up or get out. Things were getting heated, and a fight was obviously about to begin.

Great-great-great-Uncle uttered the phrase "I am the strongest in Auckland, and I fear no man."

In the ensuing brawl, he was hit in the head with a bottle of whisky and died some days later.

I guess that's not really unnerving, but it's my favourite story I have about my family.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sometimes it's possible to be too efficient.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I went to a funeral yesterday for a distant relative who had been an Anglican pastor. It was a really lovely funeral, and filled with the people whose lives he had made a difference in. And a lot of clergy members. And a bishop. Listening to all the stories of his life, it was another example of positive Christianity. Just a really decent guy doing all he could to make other people's lives better, through the medium of his religion.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My cousin once went there to run a marathon. His photos were pretty surreal.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Battlemaster you're too good for us.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My job is to spend all day reading social worker's files, and it's depressingly common to see a person have a large file from when they were abused as a child go on to have a file as an adult for abusing their own children.

It's absolutely not a rule that people who are abused will become abusers, but often when that's all you've ever known, you just don't have any other way of interacting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of unnerving avatars, when did your chybut guy start vibrating?

Look he's just really excited by Shartball, okay?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

What do you mean there's a difference between getting coked up and stabbing someone vs operating on someone with a scalpel?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Jezebel does an annual scary story contest and these are all supposed to be true stories, but one can never know. They are spooky as hell though.

That made me miss the old GBS Halloween Ghost story threads.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn't last more than 6 months. I had to go cry in a storeroom more than once after some of them.

I feel like I mention this every time I post in the thread, but my job involves reading social work files all day. The only reason I'm still able to do it is because it's marginally easier to read transcripts of these kind of interviews than it is to listen to them (I've listened to a few recordings, and that's more than enough for me).

I've read files from the fifties all the way up to ones that are still being added to right up until the day it comes to release them, and the two consistent things are that people are horrible, and that abuse cycles are so hard to break free of.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Make like a tree, and impale a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ugh. I read the whole "recovery" portion of that article, and just shuddered. Good on them for finding some liquor that survived and taking a break to have a macabre "party".

I'm in no way trying to be edgy or disrespectful, but what is the point of trying to get ID on the bodies in a situation like that? Clearly there are no survivors. I couldn't give two shits if they found a femur and some charred goo that may or may not be (what used to be) me, just let the gulls eat me.

Maybe I'm a beep boop robot, but stories like that often make me feel more for the rescue workers than the victims.

Another part of it is that in 1979, the population of New Zealand was about 3 million. 250 people dying was a huge scar on the national psyche at the time - even if you didn't know someone who had died, you almost certainly knew someone who knew someone.

I know a couple of people who lost family members in the crash, and the mother of a friend was involved in identifying bodies in Antarctica. She got a medal for it, and a lot of trauma, and doesn't really talk about it, but I know she's proud of having been able to do something.