Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh yeah, they loving love that poo poo. If you've spoken out against the Church in any way, they consider it a religious obligation to come after you however they see fit. Some even say it should be a right protected by religious freedom laws. It's probably one of the most frightening things about the cult, especially since they've infiltrated government organizations before.

Yeah, I remember a Scientology thread a few years ago, and I want to say it was in the wake of one of Anonymous' big deal hacks, and there were a few people in the thread talking about checking it [the Church] out, basically wanting to be internet bad asses by messing around with them. The reason it sticks out to me is because the almost unanimous response from everyone else in the thread was to stay the gently caress away from them, no matter how sound you think your thinking is, and especially if you value, well, everything in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
The story of Genie kills me every time I read it, especially because even after she was finally rescued, the hospital was unable to care for her and she ended up regressing, as well as having to live with her mother again. :(

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
He's been going into a bunch of threads posting that same post.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

How legit are those newspapers? That would be a pretty easy story to invent.

I think the story may have originated from The Daily Mail so yeah, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone should buy the house and demolish it to see what happens.

Sounds like a goon project to me.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Geezus christ that is loving awful. I don't even know what to think. I mean good god. In the same breath she's telling this boy she loves him and he's her heart she's urging him to kill himself. The disconnect is just horrible.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the great write up and helping keep the thread on track, Droogie. If I'm ever in the area I'll try to remember to get you a beer. :)

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Jesus Christ i hope they catch that sack of whit

A suspect has been arrested according to a few articles. He was released pending further investigation but yeah. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40889511

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

What's the difference between a mass murderer and a spree killer or is spree killer not an official thing?

According to Wikipedia: Serial killing is not the same as mass murdering (killing numerous people in a given incident); nor is it spree killing (in which murders are committed in two or more locations, in a short time). However, cases of extended bouts of sequential killings over periods of weeks or months with no apparent "cooling off period" or "return to normalcy" have caused some experts to suggest a hybrid category of "spree-serial killer".

:doh: What a horrible page snipe.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Fututor Magnus posted:

http://www.healthline.com/health/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-psychosis#symptoms2

let's go down the list:

she withdrew from a several courses and found it difficult to keep up with what she had, according to her blog. she wrote in a strange way that could mean she had difficulty communicating. she talked about having no friends and being dissapointed in the few friends she does for having betrayed her somehow.

finally, the actual symptoms of bipolar psychosis:

which explains all that poo poo in the elevator video.

it doesn't explain how she ended in the tank, but rules out ghost posession or any supernatural poo poo.

This is your only post in the thread and it's to respond to a post from three years ago. Like almost exactly to the exact day my dude.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not that I necessarily need to read something that's so awful but my number of free washpo articles ran up so I literally can't read it

If you copy the URL and google it, you can read it that way. Glad I could help! :smithicide:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

Bleh, whatever. I still have the table open on my computer, I'll just c/p the drat thing here tomorrow when I wake up.

Seems the original link is working fine for me. :shrug:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ishikabibble posted:

gently caress that tone so hard. They use it here in the US (or at least in the western US?) for Amber Alerts and it's able to be pushed out to phones, so at any point during the day your phone could just go off with that horrific tone. Incredibly creepy if you're in a place with a bunch of people and you just suddenly hear that tone start blaring at almost max volume, or you're in a house with multiple people and it's late at night, with most of the lights off.

Holy poo poo this happened to myself and at least two friends at Blizzcon this year. We were watching a movie, blazed out of our mind, when we got an Amber Alert in the middle of it. Three phones going off all at once, scared the poo poo out of us. It keeps going until you acknowledge the alert too, so you can't really just ignore it. I'm in MI by the way, but we get them out here too.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that makes his death even more heartbreaking. :smith: I mean thank you for sharing, but I am sad.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

shelley posted:

neat, would you mind linking it? sounds like an interesting read

I found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/7dooi6/is_there_a_serial_killer_operating_in_torontos/

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth posted:

And sometimes you do everything wrong: meet the Death Valley Germans

The guy who found their remains, Tom Mahood, has a website at otherhand.org with an amazing and incredibly in-depth series of articles about his search, but it looks like the site is having problems. When it comes back up, definitely give it a read.

I was just talking about this the other day so this means I must read this again when the site is back up. Echoing it's a must read and probably my favorite story in the thread.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

I forgot how horrific thi woman is

I think this is the worst line in the article for me. It makes my skin crawl every time I see it.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone have any good articles or local legends that I could use for tabletop RPG ideas? It's a Supernatural-style ghost and monster hunting campaign across America, but I'm tired of just using ghosts and vampires. Some other ones I've got are Count Carl Von Cosel surviving as a necromancer in Key West and creating a platoon of patchwork zombies and an MRA warlock using stolen black magic to try and redirect the fire underneath Centralia to destroy a building in Philadelphia through human sacrifices of the entire remaining population (made more complicated by the megalomaniacal warlock he stole the tomes from coming after him).

I like stuff that can be connected to an interesting real world area or legend, instead of just interchangeable fictional small towns in the Midwest.

The Jersey Devil and the Mothman are two favorites of mine. You could also base something off of the story of Elizabeth Bathory if you're inclined. I also very much like the potential the Wendigo could provide in a story too.

Transmogrifier has a new favorite as of 22:37 on May 2, 2018

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
You could look into some of the old paranormal threads too to see if anything pops out. Even some of the ghost stories have really cool elements that are worth cribbing.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

subpar anachronism posted:

I like this weird Andy story, and the Final Fantasy house stories; what other internet-infamous people do y'all think are the most messed up?

There's the very infamous A/T thread about people who are "married" to fictional characters if you want a heavy dosage of similar.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

You can totally be invested in something without it becoming the very essence of your being. I don't remember mentioning ~real art~ or Tumblr tho. Maybe fandom was the wrong word.

What's the thing where people obsess over a piece of media and do fan art and cosplay, write erotic fiction about it, and make it the cornerstone of their existence? If that's not fandom then I guess I picked the wrong word.

Just another level of fanaticism.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

M_Sinistrari posted:

Is there a link or did it get pulled?

I think it was a post on an anonymous confessions thread, if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
My close call was just a few years ago, in 2017. I got into a small fender bender and we were checking the damage. It was me by myself and two adult women and a man. We took photos and swapped numbers.

I was on my way to work so I really didn't want to spend more time than necessary dealing with this and both parties agreed that we didn't need to call insurance. The man asks for a few bucks and I said fine, because again, wanted to get going but I'm on high alert. I'm a small woman and even though we were on a main road, I still keep my guard up. My wallet is in the car and I go to the driver's side and get in.

The whole time I'm watching them. The two women get back into their car and the man starts walking over to my passenger side door. I had already had my hand on the lock, anticipating this, and immediately lock it as he makes a grab for the handle to try to fling the door open. I scream at him to gently caress off and I see the two women in the car drive off without him. The whole time he's telling me to open the door and trying to get it to do just that. I left pretty much right at the same time. Their car didn't wait for him. I think I saw it pull into a gas station further down the road but I was not going to check.

They called me the next morning and hung up when I answered the phone. I don't know. It took two hours later, while at work, for it to really hit me. I'm incredibly grateful that I was being hyper aware in that situation. Unfortunately, every rule applies and doesn't apply and it's frustrating because the problem isn't the victims.

And yes, I'm aware of how ridiculous my story sounds but it was terrifying when I saw him circle over to my passenger door to try and open it as the car he's supposed to be in starts up and drives away.

Edit to add: this city I was driving through has an incredibly high crime rate compared to other cities in the state, including human trafficking and auto theft.

Transmogrifier has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 8, 2019