Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

No plans (as I said I wasn't even seriously considering buying it in the first place) and I don't mind halogen bulbs but if I can do it without hacking it up, I'll probably give it a try.

Just in case you were interested, I had been looking into an LED bulb when I got that lamp years ago and just never bothered following through, but you inspired me to look into it again and I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQZ7J89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it would work, it's the right size, dimmable, but I just plugged it in both directions and nothing. I have no idea if maybe I got a broken bulb but I'm probably not going to bother returning it and finding out and just go back to never using the thing and letting it sit there looking cool and 80's. Pretty sure the villain from Robocop had one of those on his desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I want to want to play GTA V but I just got online with it and hoo boy. Need a YT tutorial on how to have fun with that one. (single player is worth it)

Hint: forget the grinding in hopes of buying every single car and new base of operations that's no different than the last base of operations, and just play wacky fun game modes with goons on the infrequently scheduled nights we play them. 16+ dudes trying to knock each others' cars into the hole in the middle of a funnel in the sky is good times. Aside from that just log in sometime this month just to get the free money and office building they're giving away just so you have it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

(also in frame is the Steelcase Please chair I got a week before the lamp)

I guess I didn't realize how enormous it is, but it actually works out perfectly for my desk. I can keep the base in the corner and position it to pretty much anywhere I might need, even down to where the old lovely lamp is. The light is very warm especially when you dim it a bit, so I'm glad I ordered some LEDs already. It's in pretty good condition but one of the rivets holding the vertical post is loose and so it's a bit flimsier than it should be. The seller didn't mention anything about it unfortunately, though maybe it happened during shipping.

You've made me really appreciate the fact I simply inherited one when my parents moved, and since that LED I bought failed completely I moved it directly onto my desk and have been using it with the halogen a bit more often. You're right it gets super hot, so I'm very interested in what LED works for you if you wouldn't mind following up once you pick a best one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

evobatman posted:

I got a Mac Pro 4,1 for $100

I spent the weekend bringing it up to High Sierra, and ordered a wifi card, 6 core cpu and NVME SSD kit. Have to decide on a GPU before I can take it up to Mojave. Picking up a keyboard and 23" Cinema Display for it later today.

Wait I have several of these heavy hunks of junk sitting in my garage from work. Are there things you can do to make them worth using? My only idea was gutting a G3 case to try to make an atx motherboard fit but I lost interest when I figured I'd need a dremel.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I bought six pounds of Lego because someone had a buy 4 get 2 free sale. My kid is still on MegaBlocks so for now they're all mine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My wife has that $25 Yeti coffee mug and loves it.

I bought a 1tb nvme ssd so i can shuffle drives around and make more space on my home work computer to install more games that my friend/roommate and I play on our lan. And because I think long term I also bought a canister of the brick and mortar water sealant so I can respray our chimney sometime this Summer to keep the water seeping into the attic and dripping into the living room because our house sucks.

Oh also six white fast food style plastic serving trays, because the three of us have gotten back into Lego recently, and it's tough for three people to do a lego set simultaneously so this way we can sort pieces by colors and just pass the trays around.

and a duster and some packing tape.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nooooo, don’t sort by color, sort by type. Eg bricks, plates, tiles, technic, slopes, clippey pieces, minifigs misc. Clear plastic cocktail cups are also excellent for finer sorting :sun:

The trays are a good idea for sorting though. I’ve been using clear plastic shoe bins, same idea

And completely agree, those 25$ yeti mugs are excellente, they’ll keep your drink warm for hours

Well new sets come in bags so partitioned out that it's just easy to brush stuff quickly into colors, but yeah when I got the Tantive IV used and sifted all the pieces at once I did it solo and had enough space to divide up by type and color. We've had a dark green towel on the coffee table so I figured white trays would be easier for sorting everything but white pieces. What this will really help with is when we buy a set with missing pieces, or get instructions on how to alter existing sets, and have to sift through the six pounds of spare lego I got. A fun but rather expensive hobby.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just realized that in 34 years I have never once been missing a single piece from a set. Does this really happen? Lego must have the most absurdly good QC

It sure does when you buy used ones! But no I've never had a piece missing from a new in box set.

Used sets can be great if you save a ton of money, and single-bagging the build definitely extends the time it takes which can be nice. I got into the trains recently so got a used one off eBay where I knew I wouldn't care if it wasn't 100%, and for some reason one of the minifigs had it's chest caved in like someone had shot it with a BB gun, but it got me all the pieces I wanted so I was happy. And if you are missing pieces, bricklink.com is your friend.

davebo has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Dec 31, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Just tell me which bike I need to use that mod where you ride around a bike in GTA5.

I ordered that super huge lego Millennium Falcon with the understanding that once it's built and I realize I have no place to display it I can just sell it used without losing much... assuming I don't lose any pieces.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

giant lego MF sounds like the basis of a great mobile over your kid's crib, to me

It weighs 37 pounds apparently so... maybe not.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Humerus posted:

Dang I extremely wish I could justify the $110 to play House of the Dead 2, but it's extremely cool that this exists.

It's making me want to get that PS3 Namco gun out with the two sensors. Before that I hadn't played light gun games at home since the Super Scope for SNES, which prompted me to buy some third party blue Uzi for PS2 where the paint rubbed off on my skin after playing the first random game I found that supported it on the old CRT tv at my parents' house.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Guess I have to buy a Corvette. :smith:

I bought a used Corvette when I was 25 off ebay. Fun as hell and I kept it for 14 years. But... does that mean I'm going to die at 50? Because if so, hell, I may as well just blow my savings and buy a new one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I want to buy ugly shoes too. Maybe something with goldfish in the heels. Know what I spend my money on?

That loving window. That's my recent purchase. Wanna know what it cost? A lot. Know what I get to do with it? I can look at it, or through it. Maybe twiddle the little cranks that open the side parts. Smudge dicks onto it with my fingers for a chuckle.

This month I get to spend seventeen grand replacing cracked cast iron pipes with pvc then redoing all the poo poo that had to be torn up to do so, and all it does it take poo poo water out of the house. Do you know how many ugly shoes I could buy for that amount? Because I don't. I have no concept of how much ugly shoes go for these days. I've spent the past year in slippers.

That being said, I also want to replace two small windows with a picture window like yours so I can better watch the cars go by with my toddler son, and smudge dicks onto it for a chuckle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Oh hello, my video editing monitor from the 90's.

I bought a $16 shower head to pair with the $17k we just had to spend having to tear up an entire bathroom and a half to rip out the cracked cast iron pipes in our old house, put new pipe in then rebuild the bathrooms.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

My Fire Stick was rebooting a lot and there was so much menu lag. Amazon released a new FS last week so I grabbed it.

Honestly the remote alone was worth most of the 40 bux. It can control the rest of the TV, which hitherto was the original tv remote with buttons that were getting janky. Also has app shortcuts and menus are smoother and I can switch much quicker between services. It took me 45 minute solid minutes to pick something to watch.

One remote to rule them all was the dream. I loving hate having to hunt remotes down.

Was that the original fire stick you replaced? I've got an original where the remote doesn't do any tv stuff, then some version 2's that control power and volume, then some 4k's that do the same. The 4ks recently received the new menu upgrade which they said would be gradually rolled out to the older versions throughout this year, but the original version 1s are getting pretty laggy. Just wondering if that's what you had.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Vostok Amphibia came in from Russia much earlier than expected. Got some nato straps on order but the silicone one it came with is nice enough.

Won't those clash? Russia isn't even in nato.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Rolo posted:

So that Naked Gun joke was based on a real life but somehow funnier thing??

Assuming the writers had a time machine, then yes!

I bought hardware to mount a stair railing which I probably will put off buying and painting for a few months but hey at least I've got the hardware!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was picking up two $5 bookcases off craigslist a few weeks back and driving through the person's neighborhood, someone had a bunch of trash left on the curb for pickup, and among it was a Rock Band drum set with the cymbals. Even if it was non-functional I kind of regret not slamming on the brakes and throwing it in my car just to test it. At the least cymbals don't have much in the way of moving parts, just plastic and the sensor, so they were probably fine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Nice, I just received another used Lego modular set off eBay, because the 10 modulars I bought from a goon had a couple in the box and I felt like they're too valuable for me to open so I have to replace them with used ones before my wife notices.

Edit: also from eBay, an XLR adapter and microphone for a Sony camera I don't even have yet.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bought one of them newfangled records

Also a beer but in a different establishment

I'd really like to try the beer version of this album.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SetSliRol posted:

There's actually a good amount of airflow and space for fans - I made sure to have a friend double check the specs and layout for me before I bought it. I just didn't want something that was, y'know, basically a bunch of open panels stuck together that'd just suck in fur and dust and stuff.

But if it has airflow like your friend claims, then it is also inherently sucking air in. Does the space it sucks air in have a mesh to catch hair and dust which you occasionally clean, because looking at the photos on their website it sure doesn't look like it. It looks like metal with some holes in it? I'm sure there are lots of cheap crappy "gamer" cases out there but I'm used to well made cases that are "panels stuck together" because they fit properly and don't let all my cat's hairs into it and the air intakes have mesh guards.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Bought my boss's used Sony A7s ii with only 3200 shutter actuations since it was mainly used for video. Then a new Sigma lens that should arrive today. Mainly going to use it for more work but also better photo/video of my toddler growing up. I just hate cell phone video with its variable framerate.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Wacky Delly posted:

A few days ago I got up too early and stood in a line for the privilege of giving Best Buy my money.

My 3060ti should arrive tomorrow, because a local goon I know got a better card in the meantime and gave me his slot in EVGA's line for the 3060ti he signed up for last fall. It had been so long I forgot I was trying to find one to replace my 970, and then I forgot again that it should arrive tomorrow until this post reminded me. Looking forward to trying to find free time to play the games I've been putting off for the past year until I got a new card.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Megabound posted:

Fancy keyboard

I was considering that earlier this year but ended up with a cheaper split mechanical with a smaller footprint and a layout I preferred, but what I really liked about yours was the idea that the keys were in columns. How are you liking that aspect of it? Is it an awkward transition after standard keyboard layouts or is it the kind of thing where it's so natural you wonder why all keyboards haven't been that way forever?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Have fun putting on/taking off your glasses that aren't there. I did that quite a bit at first. I'm 10 years later and still have perfect vision. One of the best things I ever did.

One of the crappy parts of being a camera operator with glasses was pushing my eye up against the viewfinder, which of course was solved with lasik. But then cameras changed and now we're all using the flip out screens, which sucks because I actually lost a couple inches of close-up focus when I got it, so everything has to be about a foot away to see perfectly. I was wondering if I'd regain it a little over time as the effects wear off but yeah it's been 10 years and distance vision is still perfect.

I bought a wired microphone and a stand for work. Also a toy millennium falcon for my son for xmas that was 52% off, thereby justifying its purchase despite ny house having like six or seven Millennium Falcons in it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
For what it's worth when we had a kid and shortly thereafter the pandemic started, I became a housedad 2 and then 5 days a week, so it took no time at all to destroy my old $30 slippers. I replaced them with about $60 Timberlands which needed insoles to be cushy enough but have otherwise held up for over a year now without much signs of wear. No idea how long they'll last though so I'm definitely bookmarking those glerups for the future, thanks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jfff posted:

Sock talk - socksaddict is running another black Friday sale on Darn Tough socks this year. 25% off code HIKETOUGH good Nov 17 - Nov 30
Last year replaced all my smartwool with darn tough, no regrets.

Thanks for this, I'll probably send it to my wife and parents. Gonna count how many pairs of my socks already or almost have holes in them, then just ask for that many darn tough pairs for Xmas since I can't think of anything I want that isn't just a digital purchase.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Just made my largest purchase in a while, a Sony A7C. I've been raising my kid full-time since covid, trying to work a little on the side while my wife sticks with her much better job, so I transitioned from my 25 years with a video production company to freelancing, finally buying my own gear. Since I ended up with several Sony full frame lenses, it occurred to me I'm taking family photos with my 7 year old a6000, and since all I asked for for christmas were a bunch of Darn Tough socks as a direct result of everybody in this thread (which I'm wearing now and love thank you) I figured I'd treat myself to a new camera for fun and doubles as a second camera for work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have been spending thousands of dollars on boring house poo poo like paint, more paint, exterior paint, trim paint, paint rollers, paint brushes, drop cloths, exterior lights, interior lights, window sill boards and a bunch of other stuff.
I still need to buy flooring (more $$$) and possibly a whole roof.
I'm trying to get my house ready to sell so here's a speed run of 12 years of neglected maintenance

I remember doing all that when I sold the house I had been in for 12 years back in 2017. Then feeling really dumb when I saw how great the place looked and that aside from the roof which gets redone after time anyway, I could have done all that poo poo when I first moved in and would have lived in a much nicer house for 12 years.

I bought a new laptop and tomorrow I'm hopefully gonna buy a buttload of used Lego trains and tracks off Craigslist.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Warbird posted:

https://youtu.be/MMaYUGA3d04

Man I’m considering it. I don’t need it by a mile, but man.

Well I absolutely want this, but it looks like it's a $3k kit for an $8k machine? And since it's a pinball machine I assume it'll require periodic and expensive maintenance. That's gonna be a no from me but if anyone gets it please post all about it so I can live vicariously through you.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
In theory I like the mental image of us throwing infrastructure to the wind and just have everyone weave around potholes like a field of race cars warming their tires on a safety lap.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

Electric pressure cooker with steamer racks + quartered potatoes on for 16 mins at low = the best mashed potato ever

Too much effort. I throw them in the instant pot rackless for 10 min on high and we're all happy, but we like 'em chunky. Also appreciate any time different foods climate impact is mentioned. Doesn't mean anyone has to give it up, but if one person makes potatoes instead of rice a couple times then good for them. We do a bit of chicken and rice, which is obviously better than beef and potatoes, but worse than lentil beans and lentil beans.

Speaking of waste, I bought more LED bulbs because these lovely bulbs that are supposed to be good for 15 years keep making GBS threads themselves after 3 or 4, so I try different brands then wait 3 years before I know if they suck or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I started composting in January and like 90% is just coffee grounds, banana peels and egg cartons. I guess it's good we don't have a lot of food waste but it's probably more indicative that we don't buy enough veggies to begin with.

I bought a 12.5ft telescoping ladder because we have mice/squirrels in the attic so I need to get up there more frequently and cramming our 10' A frame ladder into the tiny closet where the access panel is became a pain. Hope it's secure!