Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

I just had a decent paying gig for a school musical, and I've been putting off these upgrades for a while so :homebrew:

Maybe I'll burn some more gig money by getting my ten year old bow re-haired for the first time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Can I still PYF purchase if I tried to buy it? Close your eyes, imagine a full zip hoodie with the zipper on wrong side. (Still in the front, just on the left instead of the right.) It's confusing to operate.

That was a women's hoodie.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

I too got me a watch.

Classy watch, looks lovely, but I've got such a hard-on for the blue Milgauss that I won't really consider any other Rolex.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

A cheap 48" Samsung and Fire TV Stick to fill the empty corner in my man cave nerd lair:

Fanatec Formula rim to attach to my Fanatec CSL base, which is in the opposite corner of the nerd pit:

And a season pass for the local ski hill, because we apparently skipped autumn and went straight to winter.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I have a relative who used to work for Firestone, we would get tires at a great discount so I'm running the same tires for winter. I hope I can get two more winters out of them... that guy retired so I'll have to pay a lot more for the next set.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I have aluminum rims which can benefit from a cleanup every so often (they were in bad shape the first time I replaced the tires), and I drive a lot of miles so I will only own my car for a few more years. I remount tires on the same rims.

My brother in law has a nearly new car and doesn't drive a ton of miles, so he will have the car for a long time. He has cheap black steel "cop rims" that he uses for his snow tires.

A lot of people around here (Wisconsin) just use all seasons, but I would rather buy snow tires than deal with a collision or slide-off.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Mix it with ginger ale! :science:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Check out the Simul8r and Deathmobile for cheap-to-build plan ideas. My rig is based on Simul8r, with mods for triple monitors and a more sturdy shifter.

Then show him iRacing, and throw your wallet away!

I bought the iRacing Mercedes AMG GT3. The next season of Blancpain Endurance Series starts next week and a team of goons will run the season.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I have a compressor based on the Orange Squeezer on my workbench, ready to solder. The case has been painted for a couple weeks, I just needed to pick up some solder wick, now I can start soldering.

DIY gear is great - I built both my bass cabs, and I'm sure I will make a bunch of bass fuzz pedals after the Orange Squeezer is done.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

As a March backer, I'm still waiting for mine :qq:

Were you a December backer or March?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

If anyone is experiencing chugging framerate, they need to exchange their system.

There is a small pause when you hit things that is a stylistic choice that has been very common in action games for a long time now.
It helps to make the impacts have a little more weight.

The stylistic hesitations give more substance to the hits, and are a good thing.

Chugging framerates due to lovely hardware and lovely software is a bad thing.

On that note, I like eye candy and don't like lovely framerates, so my 1080Ti Founder's Edition is in transit. No "early-adopter tax" since Nvidia apparently learned their lesson from the 1080, and I should be able to switch out my 970 Monday :dance:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Scrub some of that gunk off and it might be a decent cymbal underneath!

(I bet that has some sweet tone, my drummer is trying out some new cymbals and it's fun to listen)

I gave more money to iRacing because Dirt got released this week and it's rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltboE-WP5IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq0ciCSbKk

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Apr 2, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

strangemusic posted:

I'm not 100 percent sure if you're kidding or not, but it's a Sabian "Big & Ugly" series - all the cymbals in the line are deliberately heavily weathered and beaten-up looking. Sounds awesome though!

Next up: Vanguard hats and a Vanguard crash. :homebrew:

Sarcasm for the first part. Does that treatment give them a darker tone or anything?

My drummer has been messing with a Zildjian Trashformer. Stacked with a small splash, both upside down, it's got a really cool dirty sound with quick decay.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Because otherwise you couldn't get the satisfaction of telling people that you bought $500 fashion boots.

LOL if you paid that much for Red Wings

That said, they're pretty great once broken in. The snow might be almost done for the season which means no more boot-killing salt, so I might break out the Iron Rangers soon.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

Pay hundreds of dollars for boots that you can't wear in weather that boots are designed to be worn in. Gotchya.

Um, yea, Iron Rangers are definitely not a snow boot and were never crafted for use in the snow. There are plenty of options with Vibram soles which work just fine in the snow when properly maintained (rub some boot wax into the leather before /after the season, wipe off salt with a rag when you come inside, etc) or you can keep buying lovely ugly snow boots that weigh 10 pounds.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fidget cubes finally arrived, only a few months late...

Also got a camera with non-garbage sound quality, which is surprisingly rare for a portable camera. It should be much better than GoPros and cell phone cameras for recording rehearsals. Hopefully it can handle some dog slobber, as it got investigated by the dog as soon as it was out of the box.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

Older jeeps are cool and good. New jeeps are piles of garbage.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Once you try Don Julio you'll never go back.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:allears:

I bought another effects pedal kit - a Brassmaster clone. Brutal octave fuzz, instead of my current boring Bass Muff fuzz pedal.

Most resistors are done, but there are plenty of components left to solder. I still have to paint the pedal enclosure and finish the enclosure design but that's coming along.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Brian Jacques was my jam growing up, I have hardcover copies of every one of his books that was published through 2007 or so. I should see if more are out so I can top off the collection. Is he still writing or is he not around anymore?

OniPanda posted:

I would like to know more

Link to the kit, they ship internationally for reasonable prices

It's not 100% straightforward for a beginner kit but it's fine if you've done it before. BYOCElectronics has more comprehensive instructions with their kits but this seems to be slightly higher quality.

The board is populated and I tacked in the switches, but I didn't order the board-mount pots and didn't want to deal with tiny jumper wires quite yet... good stopping point.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Handcrafted leather wallets are great. I've had my Tanner Goods wallet for a few years, and it has aged really well. It was a bit lighter than the interior seen in the corner here.

Also pictured: recently purchased Samsung wireless phone charger so I can live in the future.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

What are you considering entry level? Automatics like the Bagelsport knockoffs (or whatever they're branded with now) are like 20 bucks, and Seiko 5 autos start around 50 bucks. My Hamilton has a nice ETA movement and wasn't that expensive, way below a Speedy etc.

For content, a fellow watch nerd coworker just gifted me a Seiko 7S26 diver and I don't have any good straps for it, so I've got a few natos on the way.

E: I like autos because of the mechanism. It's just cool, and in a digital world it's nice to have something that contains no batteries or electronics.

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Nov 14, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Roland Rubix 22 interface. Works with desktop and iOS so I can chuck down a recording whenever something pops into my head. Also works great as a clean headphone amp for practicing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Back in September, Esperanza Spalding wrote, arranged, rehearsed and recorded a ten-song album in 77 hours, with the entire process streamed live. My copy just arrived, and it's glorious.

Massive sheets of paper were used to put together the songs and work out the lyrics. Each album has a chunk of that paper attached to the album sleeve. I think mine was attached upside down :downs:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I’ve heard they are a great live show, but most of their stuff just sounds sterile and uninteresting. That being said, my band is playing 1612 mashed up with You Can't Always Get What You Want... but that's one of about three or four songs of theirs that I can stand. The new album just doesn't work at all for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

A DCI show ticket is one of my planned upcoming favorite purchases. It's been a few seasons since I've had a drum corps blow my face off.