Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The Aviator:

For this avian:

How well did s/he take to having it put on? I can only imagine the total bloodbath that would ensue if I tried one of those on my yellow-naped amazon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I Might Be Adam posted:

What sort of insurance doesn't require some kind of deductible?

Most US carriers offer $0 glass comprehensive policies. You have a normal deductible for other non-collision damages but glass repair/replacement is covered at 100%. Typically this only costs a few dollars extra per month, unless you live in an area with abnormally high rates of windshield damage.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Heresiarch posted:

So do you have a phone or tablet that you get a lot of glare on? Does it collect fingerprints to the point of absurdity? Do your fingers keep slipping when you try to do a longpress because you're a clumsy idiot?

I love the hell out of these matte finish Tech Armor protectors because they cut glare, have a nice texture to prevent slipping, and are amazingly good at resisting fingerprints. I bought one for my Nexus 4 last year and I just got one for my Nexus 7 as well and I just can't do without them now. They also come with really good installation instructions, dust-removing sticky tape, and (most importantly) a set of three so you can gently caress up the first one or two because you're a clumsy idiot like me.

They don't look as nice as the clear ones (which is what my wife uses on her devices) but I think they're fantastic. They make a ballistic glass version too which I've never used but it's probably good too. They also make them for drat near every device you can think of.

If you weren't aware they also offer a lifetime warranty and will ship you a new set of three for pretty much any reason.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You shouldn't be using boiling water for a regular French press either...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A consumer grade electric pressure washer isn't capable of enough pressure to strip paint off of a car. You could use that all day every day an inch away from your car with the most aggressive nozzle it comes with and not have any problems.
Also unless Karcher has changed its design that will be a ticking time bomb - I had one and the plastic pump housing cracked after about six months of occasional use. Basically if you aren't spending at least $300 on a pressure washer consider it disposable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Scarf posted:

This is from the old thread, but just to jump in on the coffee chat... I bought an Impress Coffee Brewer a few months ago and I absolutely love it and haven't used my drip maker or my keurig since.

It's a self-contained french press/travel mug and it's awesome.

http://shop.gamilacompany.com/impress/features/

I would take the "filter technology prevents the grounds from brewing further after the coffee is pressed" with a grain of salt though...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Scarf posted:

Uhhh nope. It flat out locks all of the grains at the bottom of the container away from the brewed coffee.

Does it have some kind of rubber or silicone one-way valve they didn't show or list on their website? I would hardly count the mesh filter at the bottom as water-tight.

I'm sure it keeps the grounds and the coffee separate but I still don't like the idea of leaving the grounds in the same container I'm drinking from. Call me a coffee snob but when I use a French press anything that doesn't fit in my mug after pressing goes down the garbage disposal with the grounds.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bape Culture posted:

I want white enkei nt03s I think :vince:

White wheels are like black cars: clean only immediately after washing, once you start driving they're dirty again.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Should be sleeping posted:

It's been a decade since I built my computer so we went shopping!

My wife and kiddo with new Computer gear.

• New Sabertooth Motherboard with a new 3.5 GHz intel i7 processor
  • GTX 760 video card, and
  • 16 GB of fancy new ram
  • Solid State hard drive for super fast OS booting

I'm supposed to be doing homework with it and finishing my degree. But we've been playing a LOT of PC games lately.

Sup new computer building buddy :hf:

Cooler Master Elite 130

Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI system board

i5-4570

8 GB Corsair 1600 MHz DDR3

Radeon R9 270 2GB

Samsung Evo 840 250 GB

Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Not pictured - WD Black 2TB HDD, Asus BD-ROM drive, Seasonic 550W G series modular PSU

I just finished an ITX build for my little brother who is currently finishing up his Army AIT and will be leaving for Korea a few days after the 4th. I talked him out of spending $1500+ on a gaming laptop and got him down to under $1000 with decent desktop components. I'm pretty impressed with that watercooling rig in a relatively underventilated case (only exhaust fan is the power supply), after an hour of prime95 stress testing the CPU barely broke 50 degrees C.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jun 3, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CaseFace McGee posted:

Cut it with ginger ale. Gives it some fizz and softens the bite, without hiding the delicious taste.

This, but with something strong like Vernor's or ginger beer (I've also had success with the Blue Sky brand ginger ale.) Really good for sipping on a warm summer night.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Alhazred posted:

I got it from a Norwegian store that specialize in stuff like that.

Are you a museum curator or just an eccentric private collector with a pile of money to burn (or is this stuff not as expensive as I'm assuming it is?)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JointHorse posted:

Ah the (questionable) joy of car ownership: Repairs! I have a bunch of stuff to fix on my Ford Ka, but I lacked the proper tools to do pretty much anything bigger. Time to buy a socket set!

I'm not too sure how strong these universal sockets are, but it came with a 10 year warranty so if something breaks I can always get a new one. Also the car has a mixture of hex and torx bolts, so having a set that works on both types is nice.

I'd be more worried about rounding off bolt heads with all of those 12 point sockets...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ChocNitty posted:

I finally found one of my favorite books of my childhood. Randomly spotted it in a used book store. Ordered the rest of the authors books on Amazon.

My favorite page is the T-34, where the gunner is cross-sectioned with the turret.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SaltLick posted:

Do people still use fancy paper for resumes? why?

I was thinking more along the lines of "in this day and age of everything being done electronically, who sends a paper resume at all?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

So I can start my lawnmower without having to first remove that part, manually rewind the cord and then reinstall it (recoil spring failure.) Also now I won't have three feet of cord hanging out while the mower is running.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fozaldo posted:

I repaired my old one of these a few times. You have known no fury like being just about to bolt it to the lawnmower when the coiled spring you have spent 10 minutes winding shoots out everywhere for the third time.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with mine, tried to fix it but there's zero rewind. For under $20 might was well just replace the whole assembly anyways.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
On a lark (and because my previous pair are falling to pieces) I bought a new pair of trail running shoes:

Nike Wild Trail, $20 off MSRP at Gabriel Brothers.

I'm hoping with a decent pair of shoes my metatarsals will settle down and stop sidelining me at least once a month.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

My dad's been a professional photographer since the early 80s and used to shoot weddings on this. Is it still ~$30/roll or have prices hit rock bottom since film is a niche market in the age of digital?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rock2much posted:

Do you like this better than Rain-X spray-n-wipe?

It has the same effect as Rain-X but instead of getting a week or two out of a single application you get several months between applications. In my experience you can do the front glass (windshield, driver/passenger windows and mirrors) with two applicators on something that isn't a land barge. Its more expensive and harder to find than rain-x but well worth the effort. If you buy in bulk on Amazon they're less than $5 per applicator.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CaseFace McGee posted:

Beckmans because one pair of Red Wings isn't enough. They were a great price so I won't feel bad about wearing them through the snow.

I'd suggest a pair of overshoes, or else religiously treat the soles with mink oil. The original soles on my Beckmans fell apart after two winters of wearing them in the snow.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CaseFace McGee posted:

I tried overshoes with my Iron Rangers, wasn't a fan at all. I've got mink oil, I guess I'll just have to apply it much more often than I would otherwise. I got them for a hundred bucks, though, so two seasons still wouldn't be awful before re-soling if it really comes to that.

Basically the leather that makes up two-thirds of the sole doesn't handle getting wet and drying out again, eventually it gets stiff and cracks. These really aren't built for wet weather, I ended up buying a pair of regular Red Wing logger boots to wear in the winter.

Resole should be $75 BTW, takes about three weeks from drop off to pick up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Logitech K800 wireless illuminated keyboard, 45% off on Amazon this past weekend.

8 pack of PPG Aquapel.

...and a bunch of other odds and ends I've been meaning to buy from Amazon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sunblood posted:

I've had two of these and they're great. Got the first one because my noisy keyboard kept my college roomie awake. Got the second because I pried off some keys to clean it and broke the rubber inside :(

I've had my eye on it for a while but I can't generally stomach spending more than $50 on a keyboard. With this past weekend's sale it dropped to $54 with prime shipping, close enough.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The first Black Friday deal I've ever taken advantage of:

Case of Thirsty Dog Barktoberfest (Marzen/Oktoberfest style lager) for $15, direct from the brewery.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DrBouvenstein posted:

The old Product Recommendation thread is closed, so I'll ask here:

Anyone know of a good remote car starter? Looking to get one for my girlfriend for Christmas.

If it matters, she drives s 2014 Yaris.

New thread here.

Ideally you'll want to either go to a dealer and have the factory part installed, or else have a high quality aftermarket unit professionally installed. The cheaper ones generally work by taping an extra key to the inside of the steering column to bypass the PATS (passive anti-theft system), at which point someone can literally hot wire the car.

Unfortunately I have zero experience with adding a remote starter, so all I can suggest is the OEM part through a dealer.

You might get better results asking this in the AI stupid questions thread.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

noseparade posted:

do you have a link to that source image?

WF said on the last page he was going to put the source images on his own server and then distribute to everyone asking. I guess send him a PM? (I, too, am interested in the source images.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mu Zeta posted:

You probably bought the wrong size

Seconding this, I went through a few weeks of foot pain and its been smooth sailing every since. I didn't even have to go through another break-in period after sending them back to be resoled.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Building a new (and smaller) HTPC as an early Christmas present for my wife and myself:

Celeron NUC, 64 GB mSATA SSD & 4 GB DDR3.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bought some new bottles to restock my liquor supply...

(Maker's 46, Stoli, tequila & rum added to what I already had...still need more but I'm pretty much cashed out from the holidays)

...to go with the :krad: bar and glassware my awesome wife bought me for Christmas:

Geoj has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Dec 26, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bulleit is good but I'd hardly call it a sin to mix a sub-$30 750 ml bottle bourbon with anything.

Unless liquor prices are through the roof where you are...

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Dec 29, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dewgy posted:

My local bar is a brewery and their rotational is 9/10 hoppy bullshit when I know they make other, better beers. Makes it feel like wasted space. Why get defensive over the hops arms race? It seriously is the worst part of craft brewing.

Seconding this, I hate going into a place that has 30 or 40 taps and 20 or 30 of them are some form of IPA or some other beer that tastes like of the contents of a ball point pen.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So apparently that's a thing among band directors :ohdear:

My high school band director almost lost his job after throwing a stand at a student a few years after I graduated. The district required him to undergo anger management counseling as a condition of not being fired.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You get award-winning Japanese blended whisky in supermarkets?

This is rapidly becoming a thing in the US too. A regional grocery chain (Giant Eagle for PA/OH goons) is starting to put state liquor agencies in some of their higher-tier stores - at least in Ohio, Pennsylvania still has puritanical liquor laws so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

I'm not talking about the lovely cheap plastic bottle swill that you can usually buy at a grocery store - actual name-brand top shelf stuff that you'd find at a dedicated liquor store.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shrapnig posted:

Ketchup on a hotdog ffs.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to ruin the delicate flavor of a hotdog with a condiment that poors eat like ketchup...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Harry's shave cream and aftershave moisturizer were lackluster and overpriced. Ordered this from Amazon instead, mostly because I love that cool tingly feeling from the eucalyptus & menthol:

I

If you like it I'd suggest buying a tub the next time around, lasts much longer than the tube and it's easier to control how much you get in your brush.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dick Trauma posted:

That is seriously appetizing. Where is that place?

Based on his typical food posts ITT probably somewhere in the Bay Area.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

In Canada, everyone's paying constantly for medical care whether or not they're receiving it.

:ssh: this is also true in the United States.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Well, duh. But who in the US smugly sits there and smarms out "HEH, shame you aren't in CANADA, where it's FREE if you get sick"?

No, we smugly talk about how we have the best health care system in the world without realizing that only applies to the 1% who can walk in and pay cash (or more likely use their invite-only credit card with a bajillion dollar limit) for their in-home treatment with an exclusive doctor who has a total number of patients that you can count on two hands.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Feb 10, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Spent about $40 on two plates covered with starch, a side of starch and a bit of starch-covered meat (actual dinner not pictured):

From Sokolowski's in Tremont (Cleveland), OH, a Polish/ethnic eastern European cafeteria-style restaurant. The pirogies are worth the trip on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Didn't have it tonight - I had chicken paprikash and my wife had beer-battered cod.

Like everything else there I'm sure it's amazing.