Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

CaseFace McGee posted:

For what purpose does one get such a box?

Halloween decoration, or for the aforementioned possibility of a curse.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Added to my gallery of terrible artwork.

The face, the child's ear, the freakishly long arms, the giant hands...

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And one more piece of "art" for $1. This time a copy of Claude Monet's Le Bassin des Nympheas from 1904.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought a nearly new Surface Book at a pawn shop for $535. Didn't know I needed one, but after playing with it for ~5 hours I'm mad I didn't buy one sooner.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought a head

Signed Sara Morris 1985, it is close to 20 pounds and larger than it looks and it creeps me the hell out now that I have it.

Also been buying a bunch of bad art

Not as creepy as I thought it would be

I like this one

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

Can you feed coins into the head?

Yes, but I'd have to cut the felt off the bottom to get anything out so I haven't actually stuck anything in there.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Had a half-day at work, so on the way home stopped off at a couple pawn shops and came home with this

90's Made in Korea Ibanez PF-10BK acoustic with a hard case. Plays good, neck is straight, top is straight, bridge is still securely glued down, and the string height is about as good as it gets. Capo and a spare set of strings in the case, too. $45. Guy at the counter made the comment that the case is worth more than that, and he's right. Other than being dirty and the slight smoke smell in the case there is nothing wrong with it. Hell, the strings on it even seem pretty fresh.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

What, you don't get birthday texts from a pawn shop with 20% off coupons?

Grabbed this fuzz pedal for $67 after tax. If I don't like it I can sell and maybe a make a few bucks.

Also bought another high quality bit of art

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A guitar, late 70s Epiphone Made in Japan ET-290

Another rack which holds many guitars

And another weird-ish painting that I am in love with

Dated 1981 but if you told me it was from the last 20 years I'd have believed you.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

post the dunkin/BR guitar

Autographed by Trace Adkins and Lauren Alaina, as if anyone cared

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Hit the pawn shops on my way home from work, came home with this

~2012 Squier Vintage Modified HSS Strat, Gator polyfoam case, Snark tuner, and a strap for $152. Case alone is ~$125 new. Other than the fretboard being a little dry and the case having some cat scratch marks it's all in excellent shape.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I mean, do you have a pastel drawing of Kenny Rogers with bedroom eyes? How could I not buy it?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another guitar I don't need, Firefly GD90 Les Paul copy, $227 shipped to my door

Long story short; very good for the price, which is Firefly's whole thing. They've done limited amounts of this model and they sell out within a few minutes so I'm pretty happy I got one.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I need to stay away for the pawn shops for a while

Squier Affinity Hello Kitty Stratocaster, $150. They were about that price new, but currently sell for ~$500 in black and ~$800+ in the pink. They became kind of a jokey thing when they got clearanced out for $100, then the people buying them found out that were actually really nice guitars with a decent sounding pickup and the prices shot through the roof for no real reason.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
More stuff for my walls. ShopGoodwill had a group of 11" x 14" framed pics that was dirt cheap

Bing says this is Melissa Manchester, and I would agree. Google says it's a picture frame.

Harry Chapin

Comedian Robert Klein

Springsteen

A very young Bonnie Raitt

Chuck just found out I'm going to hang this in the bathroom over the toilet.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Since last week...

1980 Hondo HD-770AB, a set-neck, double-cutaway Les Paul copy, made in Korea, with american made pickups, and and ash body and top. So far, superduper awesome

DOD Grunge FX69(nice)B. I had the original version, it was terrible, but instead of low and high that had butt and head controls. This version isn't any better, but it was cheaper and I won't lose any money selling it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Rolo posted:

I got a painting for my bathroom

That is one of the greatest things I have ever seen

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Items 1 and 2 of 4 arriving this week

Homemade, hand-painted copy of George Harrison's "Rocky" Strat. An "official" Fender Custom Shop version is $20,000, this was $176.

24" x 24" painting of Cobain with lyrics of Smells Like Teem Spirit scrawled in the background

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Items 3 & 4 this week

Korean-made Lotus Strat copy in red

I have another in black, both will get new strings this weekend and probably tossed onto the"sell this" rack.

And then I had to buy this because, well, look at it

Hand-painted on a ceramic tile. Both the medium and the subject confuse me

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought a bunch more cheap guitars

80's Lotus Strat copies

A fancier Lotus Strat copy

An Aria Strat copy

A Japanese made Jackson Soloist for $175 which should have been about three times that.

They'll get cleaned up, new strings, and probably flipped for a few bucks profit each, or more than a few in the case of the Jackson.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A numbered photo of Emmylou Harris

A print of a Gary Saderup drawing of Eric Clapton

And a new bright pink guitar strap that was so I could retire my 27 year old one on the left, but the new one kinda sucks because it's too slippery

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Browsing ShopGoodwill.com as I do, looking for bad/interesting artwork and came across this, which arrived today.

Really looked familiar, and the name rung a bell, because back in April I bought this from the same Goodwill.

So because of who I am, I had to have both. And I do

FYI, Bonnie Rand died on 4/1/22 at 89 years old. I bought the first picture on 4/20/22. Didn't take long for her paintings to be dumped at Goodwill!

https://www.independent.com/obits/2022/05/05/bonnie-byrnes-rand/

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another week, another bunch of things I might keep or might resell.

1995 Squier VN-serial number Stratocaster. Made in Korea, these seem to have gone up in value and this was cheap enough I could possibly double my money if I sell.

Hondo Professional H-1090, a Japanese copy of a Fender Telecaster made by Tokai around 1980. True story, when I ordered this all I had to go off was a description that said "GUITAR W/CASE-HONDO II PRO" and a $95 price tag with $26.70 shipping. I had a hunch and it paid off, these normally sell in the $5-600 range. I may have screamed a little when I opened the case. Needs a little work, but I am thrilled. This is a keeper.

Hondo Professional H-1100, Japanese copy of a Fender Stratocaster made by Tokay around 1979. Actually ordered before the one above, but arrived after and I knew what it was going to be. In a great coincidence, they have the same 3 color sunburst finish. This one is also a keeper.

60's DeArmond "Mustache" Goldtone guitar pickup. I used to have a stash of these I had picked up over the years, but sold them off like an idiot. Now I have some projects and could use a few, so I'm grabbing them when they're cheap.

And a dirty, nasty, gross Mach1 Les Paul copy that has been turned into a 2-string bass. I could clean it up and swap it back to a guitar, or try to flip as is, or keep it. Not sure which I'll go for yet.

I've also picked up two more multi-guitar racks, which somehow don't have any guitars on them yet. The really important thing is I've also sold 8 guitars in the last month.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A youth size bass drum, because, come on.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Since the last time I posted

80s Epiphone Strat copy

early 80s Hondo LP copy, ash body and maple neck/fretboard

Firefly Jazzmaster copy

Early 80s Hondo-branded, made in Japan G&L F-100 copy that needs a full rewiring

And this painting that I both adore and am incredibly creeped out by

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Bought another guitar, a Squier Starcaster

And something more for the walls

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Got some Swamg Dogg on vinyl

When a 78-year-old man tells you there's nothing wrong with having sex with your ex, you listen.

He also co-wrote one of Johnny Paychecks biggest hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bNQEB6Xsnc

And I bought more guitars to fix and flip

Louts Strat copy, they're cheap, but decent enough

Late 70s Unbranded Les Paul copy, likely Japanese, could be Korean

1960 Silvertone H1213 archtop, made by Harmony in Chicago

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
More for the walls

Dated 1978, marked 3/25, and has the photgrapher's name, address, and phone number on the back. And not a single search result for his name.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And another piece for the music room wall

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Both another guitar AND art!

Fender MA-1 Parlor-size acoustic that has been hand painted with a "close enough" copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

And I think that's Tinkerbell on the back

Somehow this a playable guitar, although the paint on the back of the neck isn't so pleasant. String action is good, and could go lower with a quick filing of the bridge saddle. I was surprised because it's usually junk that gets painted when it finally reaches the unplayable level. But it's also not an expensive guitar, they're about $120 used. I paid $45 shipped, which I thought was cheap enough even if it was a junk. It's a good wall hanger even if it played terrible.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another old Hondo guitar from around 1980.

To sit on the rack next to it's unidentical twin

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A framed, autographed poster of stock car legend Dick Trickle, RIP

Other than his excellent name, I remember him coming to the local track before, during, and after his NASCAR days and just stomping the locals.

And an autographed photo of former bears, current Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky.

As a Packer fan I loved watching him play, and he is a man of refined tastes

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Can you get any more 90's than a Nagel-inspired painting of Cindy Crawford?

It's kinda huge, 24in x 36in

And signed by the artist

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Goes on the wall next to Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton in the "Let's just talk about their music, OK?" section

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One more for the creepy life-sized head sculpture collection

This one's a mermaid!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another guitar

Firefly Bad Cat, a copy of the old Hohner that Prince played. $227 shipped to my door. Double bound body, flame maple top and back with a walnut stripe down the middle. Damned impressive for the price.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Where are you picking these up, ebay?

Firefly has their own online store

https://guitarsgarden.com/

Some of them end up on Amazon, probably the ones that aren't selling, and they do sell some on ebay now and then. I think those are the returns usually.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another cheapo guitar that's nicer than I expected

Marina Feeling Series FL-2 from the mid 80s, probably made in Japan, could be Korea or Taiwan or China, but I've had enough to feel confident saying Japan. Not much known about them, but it's a good player and everything is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And even more guitars

80s Lotus Strat copy, had the same model in black earlier this year, will be cleaned, fixed, and flipped

Firefly Tele Thinline, great guitar for $130

Another Lotus for flipping

It has a dirty word on the back!

And one for the mostly permanent collection

1981 Hondo H-745. Walnut body with "flame maple" top and neck(veneer top, painted flame on the neck)

I like it a lot.