Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got sick of my heavy, noisy, bulky toshiba sattelite with it's 90 minute battery life. Needed something good for travel so I got the 11" model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Decided I needed a blender, to make blended ice lemonade in the summer, and strawberry banana milkshakes.

It was only $28, and it's quite powerful and not loud at all. Only takes 4 seconds to liquify stuff. But I definitely won't try blending my iPad with it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

'13 Gibson SG Standard

I've tried hard to bond with Les Pauls, but SG's are more to my taste. I like the lighter body, and the tone cuts through the mix better.
Got it on blowout for almost half the price of what 2014 models cost.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

No Egrets posted:

Spotless 1985 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe. And yes, the headlight does flip up :smuggo:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjpEPL_aqh4

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Playing it on my iPad mini retina. Played it for about 10 hours so far, and i'm just sinking my teeth into it. I'll be spending a ridiculous amount of time with it. Well worth the $15 price tag.

A case of these, @ 79 cents each. I've tried a bunch of coconut water brands, and this one is my fav, even though it's partly sugarcane water.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've always wanted these driving gloves, but I think people would laugh seeing me rock them in my Honda Insight. My next car should warrant using these. Especially with a metal shift knob and 115 degree days in southern Nevada.

So I got the bicycle equivalent of a 100,000 mile tuneup. They thoroughly take it apart, and everything gets soaked and blasted with cleaning solution, then it's re-assembled, parts are greased, drivetrain is re-adjusted, the wheel's trued, new brake and shifting cables and housing, brake pads, new tires, new chain, and new grip tape. Some of these things I could do on my own, but it all comes in one nifty package. My LBS always hooks me up, so they deserve the business.

I don't know dick about wine, but i'm trying this inexpensive bottle, to go with some cheese and crackers.

Old Vine Red Lot 59

It's layered, and soft in the finish, whatever the gently caress that means.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A snack to smuggle into the movie theater

Is that a giant gummy cola in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A book about the only known person to have been born in a North Korean concentration camp that managed to escape.

His life in the camp, his escape, and his transition to a normal society is pretty insane.

Since he was born and raised in the camp, he believed the rest of the world was the same, so he had no desire to escape.
It was only when a man who lived on the outside came into the camp, and told him stories of the outside world that made him want to escape.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This Japanese game called Ni No Kuni. It looks like I am watching a Miyazaki animation, not playing a video game.

Should be pretty sweet.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got this handsome Seiko wristwatch via Slickdeals. $58 shipped.

Going to get a nice leather clasp wristband for it.

And 80 days for my iPad:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Narciss posted:

(Not my pic) Try to guess which suburb of St. Louis I live near...

Join my facebook group, so we can coordinate strategies for overthrowing the government when they get out of hand, or to kill liberals, muslims, gays, feminists, and minorities. Whichever one comes first.

jk, have fun with your new toy.

I finally found one of my favorite books of my childhood. Randomly spotted it in a used book store. Ordered the rest of the authors books on Amazon.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

tomstuart posted:

In the past few weeks I've purchased assorted parts for my 2002 325i including: fuel pump, fuel filter, power steering fluid reservoir, valve cover gasket, post-cat O2 sensor, and assorted other small parts.

Hooray!

:(

Are german parts as expensive as they say? How much did all that run you?

I can't even afford to replace the clutch on my japanese car, so i'm driving like an old granny until its completely toast.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Picked up a deal for 3 months of audible for $6 (3 books) so I could get The Great Courses titles, which are massive and pricey.

48 45min lectures. The professor is surprisingly funny which is nice.

Next two months will be the courses in ancient Rome and Egypt. Good poo poo for history geeks, and people needing something for the gym or long work commutes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

Link to coupon stuff if possible? That's a fantastic deal. I'm almost done with a sixty hour audiobook on the Third Reich and that sounds like a great thing to add to my collection. I check out audiobooks from Overdrive but it would be nice to have my own copy of some, and not have to wait in line for the good stuff.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7338342-audible-three-month-membership-1-95-month-6

People who already have an Audible account can still do the deal.

Also you can get a NY Times and Wall Street Journal audio sub free with it as well.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

If you're doing the History of Ancient Egypt done by Professor Brier, get ready to enjoy. He's an immensely awesome lecturer and literally THE expert in Egyptian-style mummification.

I'll definitely be getting that one next. I hear mummification is wonderfully sophisticated. It's pretty amazing that we have the preserved body of Egypt's greatest ruler from 3,200 years ago. We don't even have a single portrait for many major historical figures who lived in the middle ages, but we still have the actual face, skin, hair, and nails of an ancient king who ruled long before Jesus, Buddha, or Muhammad was born. Even though he resembles beef jerky now, it's neat just to look at his face and try to contemplate everything he witnessed over his 67 year reign.

Now to segway into jeans.

My car got broken into a week ago, me and my girlfriends luggage got stolen. Got a couple pairs to replace ones that got lost.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Nov 13, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

^ Awesome deal.

Framed print of Andreas Gursky's "Montparnasse":

More stuff to replace my lost wardrobe:

Nike AF1 '07

Harness leather belt

Over time it turns into a dark copper color.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

HERAK posted:

Where did you get this? My wall needs it.

Since official prints cost a fortune, I ordered a custom print. I had to make it small, since the source photo isn't high res.

Its roughly 10"x24", with a few inches of matting. If it comes out looking okay, i'll post a pic and give you the details.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

colas posted:

[quote="ChocNitty" post="437728109"]
^ Awesome deal.

Framed print of Andreas Gursky's "Montparnasse":

3rd'ing in with where'd you get this. Also if anyone is a fan of Brutalism and knows where I might find posters that would be cool.

I took the highest res photo I could find to use as a source image, which was this one (1600x653):

http://i.imgur.com/RznllTw.jpg

Then I made a poster print on Staples website:

http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/copyandprint/posters.html

I chose the medium size 18x24". The uncropped image's actual size is about 10"x24". Mine was printed semi gloss. I had a look at the print and quality wise its fine, I could have maybe gotten away with making it 20-30% larger, but the size between Staples medium and large is too big. If they offered custom sizes, then I could have gone larger, but custom sizes are pricey.

This print size is good for smaller rooms, bedroom, office, hall, kitchen, bathroom. You'd definitely want a higher res image to make a print large enough to be suitable as a living room piece.

Now it's in the process of being framed at a local framing place. The matting and frame thickness will make the final product larger.

I picked Staples because their price made it a small gamble, they were fast, and offered store pickup close to where I live. I'm satisfied with how it came out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

martinlutherbling posted:

Where'd you get this sweet rear end belt?

Bottom Liner posted:

Looks like a Orion belt. I actually have a brand new one size 32 for sale in SA Mart for $30 if you want it. Didn't fit me.

http://www.orionleathercompany.com/40mm-Tan-Leather-Belt-With-Natural-Edge-p/40mmhtanrawedgewdlp2686govblk.htm

I got mine from a guy who specializes in leather belts at a local swap meet. The finishing isn't as consistent as belts from a retail source, but his prices are awesome.

Those Orion belts look pretty identical. People seem pretty happy with them.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

Oh man the whole point of a Gursky print is the large format and fine details. You miss out printing from such a low-res source.

True, but those large prints are unobtainable, and i'm hanging it in front of my desk where it will be viewed close up.

It's still going to look great and fill the empty space nicely.

Maybe someone can use their tech savvy and find a high rez scan that could yield a larger print.

Seeing some original Gursky prints in person must be a glorious thing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thats a nice little improvement.

This image here you can zoom in, and it looks to be a pretty good resolution. Anyone know if it's possible to get the whole picture in one file?

https://artsy.net/artwork/andreas-gursky-paris-montparnasse/zoom

I took 6 individual pics:

Top Left: http://imgur.com/2G56QjN
Top Center: http://imgur.com/PUx7G4n
Top Right: http://imgur.com/6OH5aqb
Bottom Left: http://imgur.com/aoxioHP
Bottom Center: http://imgur.com/MqhExZd
Bottom Right: http://imgur.com/AQgczkw

Trying to find out how I could stitch them together to make a higher res image.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Nov 17, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

Once I have some proper internet I'll run it through PS and stitch it together. I have a scan of Mercedes (Rastatt) somewhere too.

That would be awesome :)

Very much like Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, which I enjoyed a lot.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Rhein II also has some loving sloppy clone work, but that picture is poo poo all around anyways.

Awesome avatar/post combo.

Got a bag of the best japanese white rice that's grown in the states:

Beats the hell out of the rice you normally find in supermarkets like Calrose.

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Nov 19, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I didn't think wool was anything special until I bought a genuine merino wool cycling jersey. On cold nights I would bike up hill and i'd start sweating like crazy, then when i'd coast downhill my body temperature would drop and my own sweat would start making me shiver. But the wool keeps you warm even when its wet, while allowing moisture to evaporate. It's naturally anti bacterial so after using it on 3 rides without washing it, it barely smells, when a cotton shirt would be reeking of b.o.

Time to ride elephants and blow poo poo up.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Penguin Chukkas:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Rolo posted:

What'd you pay for these? I'm in the market for some black walkers.

Got em at a local Nordstroms clearance outlet store for $90. I think they can be had for around the same price from some online retailers.

I raised some cash selling some stuff, and jumped on a deal for an Xbox One, AC Unity, and 1yr XBL for $330 shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7439265-xbo...-daily-deal?v=1

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sennheiser HD429s

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Nov 30, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got my Gursky print from the framers today. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

It's about 48" diagonal with frame.

Thanks again, Woot Fatigue for helping me with that source image.

I got some headphones for playing Xbox.

It makes finding hidden poo poo in Far Cry 4 easier, and the sound quality is surprisingly good for the price.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Leonardo Da Vinci by Artibras.

It's a massive treasure trove. It weighs 11 pounds. It has over 1,500 illustrations and covers the wide range of fields he worked in.

Too drat big to take anywhere though. Reading it is an ordeal, like you're a wizard looking up spells in a harry potter movie.

I have some expensive watches, but i've been into old LCD watches lately. It's good to enjoy a watch for reasons other than it being cool or having prestige.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Vastarien posted:

Brand new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for $200? gently caress yeah! Also,

Zoom H4n recorder and Sony MDR-7506 headphones (which sound weird, coming from my old AKGs. Gonna take some getting used to).

I had a Zoom PS04, but the interface was horribly designed. Learning how to do anything beyond the most basic tasks was confusing as hell, and it used uncommon memory cards that were expensive, and ultimately the buttons started getting stuck. I was able to record much better sounding demo's with an iPhone and an iRig adapter, using NanoStudio and JamUP, which was a lot easier and cheaper as well. Hopefully they got their poo poo together.

I was also using those same headphones. Great sound, but the paper thin leather veneer over the earmuffs slowly came off and left little bits of black material all over the house.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Hollow and semi hollow bodies are awesome. When I got my first one, I had to ask myself why more guitarists don't use them. They sound great and are more beautiful.

A gag gift for my niece. She can appreciate some black humor:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got a new watch. It's the classiest thing I own now.

Seiko's are good watches. Luxury brand quality without the luxury brand price markup. I also have a fascination with anything solar.

Fozaldo posted:

A Christmas gift from the wife.

Orson Welles approved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDVt6cRg_A

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got this as a gift:

It's a portable battery charger that has a flexible solar panel that wraps around it when not in use. The solar panels charge slower than balls (2 full sunny days for a full smartphone charge), so that function is kind of a novelty, but it also charges via micro USB. Since I need to carry it on me anyways, and I live in an area that gets a lot of sun all year, it's worth using the magical solar.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

SaltLick posted:

I bought a mountain bike and helmet. Now I just need this rain to stop so the trails can open back up

Great looking bike. I'm hoping to get something like that soon. Riding on pavement gets dull after a while.

These guitar strings are pricey, but are worth it. Great sound and they last a long time.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

colas posted:

Yeah, it's 2015 and all cars are heterosexual. Content - this is probably the best diet soda I've ever had.

I grew up on an aged vanilla farm and I can tell you first hand, you can really taste the aged vanilla.

Also, my Solara is gayer than a Miata. I'd take a rwd car over it any day.

My parents had this in their fridge, and when I went to visit them I tried it, and was shocked that it was a diet soda. It's the only diet soda i've tried that doesn't taste like a diet soda.

You can't go wrong with Yamaha FG's. Easily the best entry level acoustic guitars out there. Elliott Smith's main guitar was an older Yamaha FG. Make sure to put some top notch strings on it to get the most out of it though.

I picked up Forza Horizon 2. I've been renting it from gamefly, but it's going to keep me occupied for several months, and the cost of it used made it a smarter decision to just buy a copy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got a bunch of these:

I feel like i'm the last person on earth to upgrade to LED bulbs. Pretty much superior to incandescent in every way, and I should have made the switch earlier.

Looking forward to lower electricity bills.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Reading sheets of lyrics and tablature from off my coffee table was getting old so I got a proper stand:

I stick my guitar tuner and capo to it for easy access. Also doubles as a smartphone camera stand.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

HaB posted:

Ugh. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I promise you will thank me later:

Put your capo on your HEADSTOCK and LEAVE IT THERE ALWAYS. Not a music stand, not a mic stand, not on top of your amp, not on the nightstand, not on your desk, and not anywhere but your FREAKIN' GUITAR.

There are only two times when it should NOT be on the headstock: when it's on the neck in use, and when your guitar is in the case (at which point your capo goes in the case immediately as well). The first thing you should reach for after you take the guitar out of the case should be the capo, which you should then put on the headstock of your guitar.

I can't count the number of times some schlep has been at a gig and been unable to do a song because surprise surprise - they forgot their capo or left it in the car or at home or a hundred other places it shouldn't be other than his goddamn guitar.

Think of it this way: when are you EVER using it OFF the guitar? Exactly.

Leave it on your guitar. Get religion about it. If your tuner is a clip-on - same freakin thing.

Sorry. I realize you never thought your post needed a trigger warning. :(

Daaamn!

I only just got a capo and have barely started to use it. But if I do end up using it regularly ill keep that in mind.

Though im kind of shallow when it comes to how my guitar looks. A pet peeve of mine are people who leave clip on tuners attached to their guitars. Which is fine for rehearsing at home. But ive seen it at live performances and even in music videos.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got this audiobook called The Other Side of History. A series of lectures about what life was like for ordinary people in ancient and middle age times.

The stories that revolve around the famous historical icons usually don't stray far from war and politics. But learning the details about the average citizens daily lives reveals some interesting insights into their culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got somethin to drink:

Not really...