Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Whoa poo poo this comes out in a few days? That snuck up on me.

I added my name to the goonlist, looking forward to some racing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Slightly annoying that you can't send messages to the other players between races before you've picked your track, OR after everyone has picked. Doesn't give you much of a window to communicate if there aren't many players.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

If you have the bandwidth and patience, just upload the whole race and use YouTube's on-site video editor to grab the clips you need.

Is there a way to do that? I just tried and the game told me I had to cut it down to 60 seconds or less before uploading.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I don't think it's your connection so much as it is everyone's as a whole, I pulled an online racing all-nighter and random lag is pretty much unanimous

I haven't seen any lag at all, so it's not something that affects everyone. I'm on wireless but the router's about three feet from the console and there aren't many other signals in the area. I'd definitely suggest trying a wired connection if you're having problems.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Can other people not hear your horn online? I never hear other people using theirs.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Last night I found out if you are in first place when the Blue Shell comes out and go down to a lower position before it gets to you, it still hits you anyway.

I've successfully got it to target someone else by braking and dropping back to second. Maybe you left it too late and it was already locked onto you?

Also:

Shy Guys don't look at explosions :cool:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

High-acceleration characters might be better if you're playing in frantic mode, maybe?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey wanting to give everyone a heads up that there's a bug in the game that completely bricks systems.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229600-mario-kart-8-glitch-bricking-systems

No idea what's causing it.

It's possible this is just the result of there being a ton of people who just got new Wii Us with Mario Kart 8 and some of these new consoles were defective. The game would seem to be a common element only because so many people are playing it.

Edit: oh, the source has people who have had the console since launch having the problem. Well gently caress

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 2, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Luigi is negation and will always be Mario's Jungian shadow

Nah, Luigi got his year in the spotlight, that must mean Mario faced and accepted his shadow and now Luigi is his persona.

Honestly it couldn't have been difficult, since "It's-a me!" Is one of the few things he ever says :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Is it some kind of sick joke that the only items it gives me on Rainbow Road are mushrooms?

Better learn how to drift around corners while boosting :getin:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I find it's actually easier to make a turn when I boost after I start drifting, than if I boost on the straight leading up to the corner, which usually ends in me starting the drift too late. Once you're in the drift adjusting it for the extra speed is pretty easy, the most difficult part is getting the approach to the corner right.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

So last night on Sherbert Land, my brother dodged not one but two blue shells. The thing is, he didn't do a loving thing to avoid them. They just didn't hit him, as if they vanished into the ether at some point in their pursuit. He was in 1st the whole time, so its not like they hit someone else that he got ahead of. He only got the warning for one of them as well, though I'm sure I saw two headed his way during the match.

Anyone else see something like this happen?

The blue shell's gone back to travelling along the ground hitting other people in its way, so it's possible someone else might have used a horn or something to save themselves from it?

Actually now I'm wondering if having a trailing item or a star protects people who aren't in first place from the blue shell, and if that works does it destroy the shell?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

The bad tracks are almost exclusively found among the retro cups: Toad's Turnpike, that Piranha Plant water slide, the music hall one with the dancing notes and what's left of Rainbow Road 64 in this game.

Are you kidding that's one of my favourite tracks :frogout:

Toad's Turnpike almost puts me to sleep though, yeah

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

HJE-Cobra posted:

Once I unlocked the Comet bike, I got a Kaneda Mii, put some monster tires on the Comet, then race around on the city maps.

Man, I should try to do that and do something cool and record it for posterity. Re-enact the "sliding bike to a halt" scene?

Have another player with an Akira mii hit you with a bob-omb or a blue shell at the end

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

I'm on my phone, so I can't check myself, but what colors do Yoshi and Shy Guy actually get?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

At least they don't have the mystery dlc karts in there where you'd have to scroll past them all the time :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Crawfish posted:

If Link can fit in, Other M Samus could easily fit in too.

But then everyone would bitch about it, because the negativity towards the plot and some of the character design overrides everything about that game apparently.

You're right, the reaction to the bad plot and character design totally overshadows the bad combat, bad level design and bad controls

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I like Moo Moo Meadows because the music is great

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Ohhh that's a sneaky trick they did with that part of Wario's Gold Mine with the mine carts.

In this version you want to collide with them, because it's an antigrav section

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

What's this about a puzzle in Hyrule Circuit? I've done that track twice now and I'm not seeing it, what should I be looking for?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Much like F-Zero then

I don't think I ever finished a race without destroying at least a third of the other racers.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That looks boring as poo poo, it's just an oval. It's not even a big oval. Why is that a popular track?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah some of the ramps have now become traps, have fun figuring out which ones!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

That track is insane on 200cc, I got my poo poo wrecked

Brake hard before that bit with the mecha-koopas :ssh:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Oh god I need to completely relearn that slalom section in Mt Wario

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Man nothing like nailing a bunch of people with a bob-omb and then failing to overtake any of them

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I hope everyone in the Goon Room plans on playing later tonight. When I was finally able to play last night nobody was there.

I would but it's 1:30am already :(

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

That's the dlc one right? Oddly I find that one easier on 200cc. There are a couple places that are 90 degree turn followed by another, and on 200 you can clear both of them in one drift, treating it like one large continuous turn instead of turn - straight - turn.

You can do this on 150cc too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Icedude posted:

Splatoon track where you can only go anti-gravity on ink, and more of the level gets inked over the course of three laps so more routes open up.

Inklings with rollers as track hazards you have to avoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

When you're using the wiimote+nunchuck, B is drift when you're holding the accelerator and brake when you aren't. Since you need to use all three at once to brake without killing your drift, this is impossible with that controller setup. If you want to do well at 200cc you'll have to shell out for another controller, sorry :(

• Locked thread