Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Benagain posted:

Any reason Veep isn't in the recommended list?

Only bourgeoisie scum can afford HBO (seriously though, Veep is fantastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What are they even going to do?

Probably hold John Kerry in contempt, because why the gently caress not. On the plus side their tough talking "prosecutor" heading the committee looks like a cross between Julian Assange and Pepe le Pew, so that's fun.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

What if your grandpa had a youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZByJ5z0LaLs

Man that really reminded me of Leonard, but with complete poo poo ignorance of Constitutional law thrown in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbuPT1ai98I

Nessus posted:

Before I answer I have to confirm: Which answer is best for Romney's chances?

Proceed, Governor.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 8, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
to be honest; from a legal standpoint I don't think the government even had the evidence to convict these motherfuckers, let alone go China on them and summarily execute. Yes, I have read the emails, and Yes, I have seen the Levin hearings (they're fantastic). To put more bankers in jail for the poo poo they pulled in 08 would require a substantial revision of securities laws. I completely agree that Wall Street executives who marketed mortgage backed securities that led to the crash are robber baron motherfuckers, and that it would hilarious if Bill Clinton gave Lloyd Blankfein a Colombian Necktie, I just don't think that a criminal prosecution of a top executive under our current laws would result in anything other than an acquittal, or a guilty plea if he is a dipshit, unless there was a paper trail that literally said "hey, let's do this fraudulent thing to defraud investors fraudulently." More controversially, I am also p. sure the DOJ looked into this as best they could, and did not find sufficient evidence to prosecute, because that is how prosecutors do. I do believe that civil charges may have had more luck because of the lower burden of proof, but there is still a lot of plausible deniability for higher ranking folk.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

The laws are insufficient

I concur completely, I am just maybe challenging the notion that the failure to string up Wall Street is completely the Executive Branch's fault.

Edit: I am only speaking from the perspective of being frustrated with how many smoking guns are necessary to put financial dickholes behind bars. I do not know the full extent of DOJ work post-crash, but from what I've seen I can understand why it may have been deficient in this area.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 9, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread and just want to point out that this post is factually incorrect. SEC regulations, Securities law '33, etc, puts the onus on not misleading investors, not establishing intent. Its slam dunk stuff, its why 1110 people were prosecuted for the S 'n' L scandal, why Enron and Arthur Anderson got reamed, etc. Lack of prosecution is a lack of prosecutorial will and balls, never forget that.

This is true of some civil violations, criminal penalties do require "willful" violation though, or conspiracy, etc, so whatever man. To nail the fatcats the government would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fatcats knew that the asset backed securities were complete garbage, and were actually involved in it. Things like the AAA credit ratings from "independent" agencies, presumably shielding themselves from liability by limiting actual involvement and knowledge to low and mid-level thugs (see, Levin's "lovely Deal" hearings), as Mafia leaders did in the past. The government has been trying to nail Steven A. Cohen for 10 years for basically building a fortune entirely from insider trading, and have failed to get a strong enough case to prosecute him even though they (a) loving hate him and (b) 11 or so of his staff have been sentenced to prison.

Also, Arthur Anderson was convicted for obstruction of justice for shredding audit work papers. The S&L prosecutions were pretty much entirely low and mid-level losers, and to the extent that executives were prosecuted they were generally officers of relatively small companies. Enron and Worldcom are the few examples of high-level crooks being stupid enough to get personally involved and directing the fraud, which resulted in the prosecutions. The government also had useful witnesses in those cases.

Penalties:
'33 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/77x

'34 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/78ff

'40 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/80a-48

Fortune's "Favorite Felonies" from S&L Crisis
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/11/05/74309/index.htm

EDIT: Maybe they could be charged under RICO or mail fraud or something, I dunno. I think securities laws would be hard.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 9, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

AnemicChipmunk posted:

If they can cut the budget from a state college just because they don't like the literature on a particular subject, then could they do this to punish other schools for teaching/assigning books on evolution/big bang theory/insert topic here?

This is basically already happening through the charter school movement (I was shocked to learn that it wasn't solely about screwing over minorities and robbing the state coffer)

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_texas_public_schools_undermining_the_charter_movement.html

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

Eh, not really right wing, but when I was younger I was one of those "I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative" types.

Now I'm the exact opposite.

So still a oval office?

Most conservative thing I've ever done is dislike the Bay Area, apparently. It makes a lot of folk here presume I am Republican.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Good news, the Republicans are getting cocky about 2014, which means the probability of Senate GOP candidates making weird rape comments, comments disparaging minorities, or comments calling all minority people rapists will be approaching 1:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/05/09/the_dizzying_heights_of_republican_optimism.html

Weigel posted:

[T]hough so many of its points could be obliterated with links to public polls.

Ed Gillespie in Virginia is a good example of a candidate who wins over donors and state activists who then are willing to take a chance on a race in which the Republican is still the clear underdog.

Current polling shows Warner up 19 points on Gillespie, in a state Democrats were barely able to win in 2012 and 2013. (Though this is better than Warner's 2008 romp against Jim Gilmore.)

Terri Lynn Land is proving to be an overachiever in Michigan. She is running a disciplined race and has effectively tied her opponent to the anti-energy agenda of big donors and liberal elites.

Land, who was not her party's first choice, is actually receiving largely negative coverage within the state, mostly when she doesn't talk to reporters. After a strong winter, aided by $6 million of outside spending, Land eked out a small lead, but it's now gone and Democratic Rep. Gary Peters is narrowly up. And Michigan's a source of regular fool's good for Republicans -- only two polls, throughout the 2012 cycle, measured the 21-point landslide that Sen. Debbie Stabenow would win.

Iowa may also be falling into the GOP’s lap. GOP insiders admit that they had largely written off the state. But Rep. Bruce Braley (D) is proving to be a problematic candidate, not only because of his gaffe insulting farmers, but also because of his unpleasant and wise-guy demeanor.

One month after the gaffe, Braley leads every Republican challenger and maintains a bouyant approval rating. Fair enough, Republicans have yet to dump a few million dollars on ads reminding people that Braley insulted farmers. (The "wise guy" link is to Braley attempting to prove that a GOP witness on a health care panel did not have qualifications. Damning!)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Americans are the dumbest loving people on earth, is what I make of it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

agarjogger posted:

Widespread and acute fear of Republican government will keep Democratic turnout from being too depressed, so I don't think it'll be as bad as they say. I'm not sure what difference anything will make though. Vetoing one hundred of the most sociopathic loving bills ever to cross a presidential desk, that's more than enough of a legacy for Obama to claim. If they can't tone it down, he can't sign poo poo. And why would they tone it down if they've just picked up the Senate.

I think the big things running counter to human decency with Republicunts taking the Senate are; confirmations, and passing appropriations bills. Obama needs both, and with this loving party ruling the entire legislature whatever happens is guaranteed to be worse than the political stasis that has characterized almost his entire presidency, and such stasis sadly is the best possible outcome of 2014. Also holy poo poo, if there has been a party that deserves a victory less and actually got it in U.S. history please point me to it.

Edit: vvvv Louis C.K. introduced me to that word and I fell in love with it

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 11, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

:laffo: Anyway, I think appropriations exist until the end of FY 2014, which would mean another shutdown is possible at the beginning of October, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

Whenever I think Australia cannot possibly get any worse, I remember that I don't live in your piece of poo poo third-world kleptocracy.

At least Australians experience buyers remorse when they elect dipshits. Don't know whats the deal with boats, good internet, and censorship tho

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/06/tony-abbotts-popularity-plunges-latest-polls-show

Edit: note: my knowledge of Australian politics is limited almost exclusively to watching Clarke and Dawe and Googling what they're talking about

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 11, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I'm honestly amazed that hasn't been knocked down and replaced by a McDonald's or something similar.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
US Politics Thread for June: E/N, but sadder and with more alcohol abuse

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hooray someone mentioned murdering bankers again see you all on the other side (3-5 pages from now)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I take a lot of meth to better understand the Republican approach to Benghazi

wikipedia posted:

The psychological effects of methamphetamine can include euphoria, dysphoria, changes in libido, alertness, apprehension, concentration, decreased sense of fatigue, insomnia or wakefulness, self-confidence, sociability, irritability, restlessness, grandiosity and repetitive and obsessive behaviors. Methamphetamine use also has a high association with anxiety, depression, methamphetamine psychosis, suicide, and violent behaviors. Methamphetamine also has a very high addiction risk.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

quote:

There have been 16999 posts made by forbidden lesbian, an average of 33.37 posts per day, since registering on Dec 18, 2012.

Ah

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Some Democrats competitive for Senate in the South!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/southern-democrats-competitive-despite-rough-midterm-climate-n102856

Still early, but Mark Pryor of Arkansas seems to have a robust enough lead that I would not be surprised to see him reelected. I know nothing about Michelle Nunn of Georgia, who is slightly behind in the polls, but I could only imagine her winning if her opponent talks about rape. McConnel v. Grimes is going to be the most expensive non-presidential race in U.S. history, so I feel bad for any Kentuckians and all of the stupid poo poo that will be on your airwaves from now until November.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

To be fair he has kind of a lovely past with liberation theology and I've yet to see anything of substance come out of the church lately that meets his proclamations. I'll admit that the verdict is perhaps yet to be out on Pope Francis but I would like to see more substantive measures taken.

Thing about Pope is that he is already an old dude and won't be Popin for several decades like JPII was able to. He has to make changes to the church that are enduring and can't just be rolled back by the inevitably reactionary pope the cardinals are going to elect once he kicks it. That requires incremental changes and persuasion.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

The Court was plenty goddamn political from way before FDR.

What we are seeing now is more accurately described as a result of the 80s' hook-'em-while-they're-young approach that is exemplified by the formation of the Federalist Society, brainchild of Edwin Meese, Robert Bork, and Steven Calabresi and better known as purveyors of free non-vegetarian lunches to unscrupulous law students nationwide. That approach itself is probably best understood as a reaction to the Warren Court.

SO that's why FedSoc has the only events worth going to

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Can we get a trigger warning ITT for closeups of Ted Cruz's face I'm Literally Shaking

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

:effort: The shakiness of my editing makes it look like the image of Ted Cruz is shaking in some sort of mockery of him.

I am proud that my shitpost eventually led to this. :911:

Evil Sagan posted:

There is no way this is the same Alaska that I live in. Do the people they poll not actually vote or something?

Alaska is basically a social democracy with nothing to do but smoke pot and hike or whatever, but still love to vote for regressive social policies for whatever reason, so I guess that explains the poll. They were at the forefront of marijuana liberalization in the past IIRC?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I went to read whatever the retarded comments were and got this as an ad:

I have no idea if it's a joke, the people making the ad couldn't figure out Photoshop, or if my browser decided to completely gently caress the picture. In the end, I'm leaning towards "scam where people doing the scam have no idea what the gently caress they're doing", though.

Edit: BRB going to FEMA summer camp y'all

I'm signed up for several Tea Party listservs and this is one of the most common ads that they include. Other common themes: tricks to avoid the effects of Alzheimers (lol), one weird trick to cure cancer (doctor's hate him!), and alternatives to US currency.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

absolem posted:

Fun stuff, definitely

Simplified, it was caused primarily by failings in three areas.

First, the federal government decided that it was qualified to interfere in the banking industry. It did so in several ways: Regulations (which generally helped create larger, more monopolistic firms), private pressure on semi-private firms such as the FHLMC et al (largely designed to increase home ownership), and a combination of fiscal and monetary policies designed to keep interest rates low and large banks and the poor liquid.
Second, banks allowed pressure from the federal government in conjunction with prevailing positive economic indicators (created in part by the government) to override their desire for safety. This is due largely to government pressure on the FHLMC et al to increase home ownership and housing starts convincing the those organizations to forgo traditional safeguards and guarantee loans that were riskier than acceptable for the institution. When those organizations decided to buy (and signal that they would always buy) sub prime packages, many banks decided that since the government was largely happy with this course of events, they would always be able to sell these packages, causing them to forego the recommendations of their risk managers (or at least those with heads on their shoulders).
Third, loan consumers failed to take into account what they could truly afford, misled by government talk of home ownership and advertising by banks so hungry for profit they neglected to cover their asses.

Basically, the administration pushed the FHLMC et al to buy subprime packages, which caused banks to ignore risk warnings based on the incorrect assumption that there would always be a buyer for these packages, and go into a blind feeding frenzy. The combination of these two pressures and consumer ignorance meant that people actually bought stuff they couldn't afford. This was all backed up by artificial liquidity and artificially cheap money sponsored by the government. The crash was predicted well in advance by many Austrian economists. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with subprime lending, its just playing with worse odds, so you should do less of it.

Holy gently caress. Incredible.

Here is your analysis:

Step 1: Mortgages to poor people
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Mortgages are a systemic contagion

I would write a rebuttal but your "analysis" has been rebutted by economists and financial experts about as much as "there is no anthropogenic climate change" has been by scientists so whats the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
TO THEIR CREDIT: Austrian economists did predict our austerity driven economic boom that we all live in today

EDIT: Trap loving sprung, Warszawa, nice

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 22, 2014

• Locked thread