Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fried Chicken posted:

please continue booze suggestions here

Hopped Vodka (~$45) is delicious as is Beer Barrel Bourbon (~$40). Actually, if you can find Dragon's Milk, the beer that bourbon is based off of, you should try it because it's amazing.

If you are (quite rightly) boycotting Russian products, Tito's Vodka (~$20) is good enough to sip straight, as is Prairie (~$20) and River Baron (~$40), if you can get them wherever you are. Actually, I can endorse MRDC in general - they make good drunkenness.

Referent horseradish infused vodka makes amazing bloodies, if A) you can find it and B) you're into that sort of thing. Have a cold? It also clears your sinuses while clearing your throat!

I also enjoy 2 Gingers (~$20) Irish whiskey. It's becoming widely available lately and isn't bad.

All prices are based on memory and not guaranteed to be accurate. Also, I mostly have a taste for beer, so my taste in liquor might be lacking.

Edit: I've been making tea infused vodka for the past year and a half or so and recommend it to everyone because it's really easy and can be good if you get the right teas. Just buy a dozen pack of mason jars for $10 and go nuts experimenting. I find that sweeter, sipable vodka (see above) with Earl Grey, chai, chocolate, or mint tea are my favorites.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Magres posted:

More drinkchat - scotch and coke works really well if you want something less harsh but still scotch-y. My roommate loves them and they're pretty good

That'd require me to keep soda in the house, so instead I drink rusty nails.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 7, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Good Citizen posted:

Ted Cruz has released his report on 76 lawless actions by Obama, and yeah, they're as bullshit as you'd imagine

http://www.scribd.com/doc/222704929/Ted-Cruz-Legal-Limit-Report-4

quote:

22. Gave supervised release to a convicted criminal (an alien here illegally) who later killed a nun in a DUI.79

Guess which citation is missing.

Did you guess 79? You're right!

E: I'm an idiot and it was on the next page. I'm just not used to footnotes :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

McDowell posted:

Ted Cruz <3 Anwar al-Awlaki

Apparently Ted has a problem with killing terrorists :confused:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Weren't people bemoaning the lack of conservative intellectuals a couple pages ago? How about David Barton?
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/david-barton-tackles-womens-voting-rights

quote:

Barton explained that women were not given the right to vote when the Constitution was written because the Founding Fathers were trying to protect the institution of the family by giving every “family” a right to vote through the male head of the household.

Sounds like a winner to me :allears:

Maybe this will be the issue that ruins some tebagger's career this time around, instead of talking about how they're all really just asking for it and totally deserve whatever punishment God chooses for their slutty ways.

E: I guess I don't know how to quote links properly

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

David Barton is as much of an intellectual as your angry grandfather is.

:thejoke:

That goes for every conservative 'intellectual' I can think of, but I did think his particular bullshit was particularly lovely.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Amergin posted:

I was listening to C-SPAN this morning discussing the Nigerian kidnappings/Boko Haram issue there, and most callers were asking two questions:

1) "These are girls! Why haven't we intervened sooner!"

Well mostly because the Nigerian government has a pretty good idea where Boko Haram is hiding but they've decided not to do anything about it because the government is corrupt.

2) "Why hasn't Western media focused more attention on this?!"

Because nobody cares about Africa, CNN is still looking for flight 370 and it happened around the same time a ferry capsized near Korea. We care more about Korea than Nigeria.

And what burned me the most is the media correspondent (can't remember who) was basically saying "Well I'm disappointed the media didn't pick this up sooner but at least it's picked it up now and helped drum up support along with the Twitter hashtags." Oh, great, a month after the event took place when many of the girls have been scattered to the four winds, we start focusing on it.

I mean yeah better late than never but come on.

Well the BBC has been talking abohhhh, wait, nevermind :doh:

That's silly. I mean, there are at least a couple hundred of the fuckers. We could go on for years past the attention span of the public at large :unsmigghh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mr Interweb posted:

I support Obama and the Dems 110% and all, but poo poo like this really needs to stop:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/12/5691934/how-massachusetts-screwed-up-obamacare

What the gently caress, Massachusetts? Same poo poo happened in Oregon and Maryland, all three run by Dem governors with Dem legislatures. Not a single one of these states can fallback on the excuse that Republicans are loving things up.

Producing software systems on time and on budget isn't something the industry is good at in general and Massachusetts maybe should have had a special exemption since they already had a working version of the same law. Supplanting the locally tailored, working laws they had with the generic PPACA was bound to cause problems and really highlights a deficiency in our governmental framework in that the national government can't just tell the states that they have to find a way cover everyone and let the locals figure out how best to do that.

Oracle really sucks donkey taint, though. Their effort was a goddamn joke and I hope Oregon sues them over it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

lothar_ posted:

Or put another way...

So basically

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Amergin posted:

Because to me, the idea of "solving the student loan issue" can easily be coupled with "make college education 'free'" (Scandinavia!) which is only going to discourage people from trades more, or at the very least waste their time for four years before they consider going into a trade.

No, you just make the free schools hard to get into, so anyone who wastes their time in high school gets a rejection letter instead of a 4-year detour before real adult life.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

computer parts posted:

You can basically already do this with Amicus curiae briefs.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/supct/rule_37 Looks like you have to be a lawyer and/or know someone connected to the case well enough to have them submit it on your behalf?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

zoux posted:

You'd think that would be required reading for some intro level econ history course.

I could see someone rejecting a lot of old economic writing that's mostly philosophy when what they want is to study and model real-world human behavior. Who cares how internally consistent your proposed system is if it falls apart or produces a shitstorm of misery on contact with actual people?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Aren't a lot of "libertarians" very socially conservative, anyway (whether explicitly or whether they prioritize ARE ECONOMIC FREEDUMBS over socially liberal causes)?

The ones I've bothered to ask seem to basically use it as signaling that gently caress You, Got Mine is just a little more important to them than making a transsexual interracial lesbian couple's lives as lovely as possible.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Miltank posted:

We don't have a legitimate reason to kill people just because the US has defined them as terrorists or militants or whatever.

e: remember that there is no transparency whatsoever regarding who is placed on various terrorist lists and what reason.

We have Congressional authorization to do so, so maybe you attack the disease instead of complaining about the symptoms?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

quote != edit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki, noted for his remarkable contributions to the September 11th attacks in 2001 as a precocious six-year-old.

I'm not going to argue any specific cases that they did(n't) gently caress up because I don't have enough information*, but, in general, you do not drag your kids into whatever stupid/dangerous poo poo you get up to and assume they're going to be OK whether that poo poo is conspiring to attack the United States and its allies, joining an armed defense of a crazy racist rear end in a top hat's right to mooch off the government or making pipe bombs in the shed out back. These people are endangering their loved ones through deliberate action and, while I feel bad for their loved ones, I'm not going to blame the scorpion for its nature.

*obviously, that is also an issue, but I'm going to point it out because I'm pretty sure that if I don't, the only reply will be some smuglord captain obvious

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably for the best, you weren't doing to hot in this discussion.

You desperately wanted to paint your opponents as kooks but all you managed to do is make yourself look like a hyperbolic rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, and your analogy was in no way the dumbest thing said/low water mark of the exchange.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

1337JiveTurkey posted:

So I guess the takeaway here is that if the US just loads a bunch of bombers up with napalm or something and blows a village to kingdom come that creates less terror than blowing up a car or house with a thousandth of the firepower.

It's an inverse squared relationship. Look at how little gunpowder you need to freak out the whole East coast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks

I don't dispute that the drone strikes are inspiring some terror, but I don't know how you conduct a military operation that doesn't, so I'm not sure how it's a useful label unless you're just going for loaded language

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

KomradeX posted:

Christ the whole war on terror had been a terror campaign, from the second Bush pretty much said we're coming for you! I just don't see how people can think that the done campaign on some level, with the whole don't join a terrorist group or the US will come down upon you like a finger from God.

OK, but how do you eliminate enemy combatants without scaring their neighbors? Assuming that's something that's going to be done because it's at least politically infeasible not to and assuming there's no operationally feasible mechanism to give them a fair public trial (because sources would be revealed by evidence or whatever excuse they make up), I can't think of anything the military can do that's not scary to be around on some level.

You can call bullshit on the 'war on terror' all you want and I'm behind that, but, if you have to have the military kill someone, it's going to inspire some terror, so then every military campaign must also be a 'terror campaign' so the terror label is meaningless and not really worth bringing up unless you're trying to make an argument by emotive language.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

KomradeX posted:

It comes down to waging a war against terror was a dumb idea from the start and a full military response was bad idea from the get go.
Certainly making the AUMF an open-ended license to kill/capture anyone anywhere was a bad idea, but I wouldn't go that far.

quote:

Every military campaign in the past century has been one of terrorism though as the increasing number of civilian causalities as the 20th century progressed can attest to and we need to really take a step back and assess just how awful the way of waging modern war has become.
I'm pretty sure war has had a terrorize+demoralize component since the dawn of time - it's not new and, like I said, I don't think you can separate it.

quote:

Or even if you don't want to follow that line of thinking, are you gonna tell me calling an airstrike on some ridge to hit a group of fighters attacking a patrol is the exact same thing as dropping a hellfire on a crowded marketplace to kill a terrorist leader? Because I don't think so since one is a tactical, perhaps necessity and the other is way to show civilians what the US will do to you if get on their bad side.
Of course not. Dropping high explosives on a market to kill one rear end in a top hat is horrifyingly irresponsible and ought to be prosecuted.

quote:

Or maybe you don't want to follow that line of reasoning either and maybe just come to the idea that all war is indistinguishable from terrorism in it's impact and maybe we should try and work for a more peaceful world. (Yes I know this option is pie in the sky idealism that is unlikely, but some people really are pacifists that believe things along these lines.)

Personally I believe a mix of all of these since, yes it is a complex situation, but I think that targeted drone strikes should be a measure of last resort and we should be aiming to capture these guys and put them on trial in full open US courts or even help some countries set up secure courts in the US though I'm sure that's really not an option.
Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JT Jag posted:

Things would be a lot more democratic if all House districts were drawn up by mathematical formula and the Senate was just abolished.

While we're at it we should re-draw state borders along population lines without regard for any geographical features (other than probably watershed boundaries) and officially demote 'states' to 'administrative districts'.

No, I'm being serious.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

zoux posted:

This is more or less the New Hampshire House of Reps and they have pound for pound the craziest motherfuckers in government.

Can we actually distinguish between the effects of their extremely localized representation and the free state project encouraging the worst and stupidest to try to take over the state?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

amanasleep posted:

According to the USDA the multiplier is 1.79.

That is one of the highest multipliers of any US government program.

Does anyone know if there's a comprehensive listing of all of the multipliers somewhere? Or at least for some of the bigger programs?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Full text from http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/19/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22udall%2C+tom%22%5D%7D

quote:

Section 1. To advance the fundamental principle of political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of the legislative and electoral processes, Congress shall have power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to Federal elections, including through setting limits on:
(1) the amount of contributions to candidates for nomination for election to, or for election to, Federal office;
and
(2) the amount of funds that may be spent by, in support of, or in opposition to such candidates.
Section 2. To advance the fundamental principle of political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of the legislative and electoral processes, each State shall have power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to State elections, including through setting limits on:
(1) the amount of contributions to candidates for nomination for election to, or for election to, State office;
and
(2) the amount of funds that may be spent by, in support of, or in opposition to such candidates.
Section 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress the power to abridge the freedom of the press.
Section 4. Congress and the States shall have power to implement and enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Tax-exempt religious institutions already aren't supposed to be fundraising for candidates, right?

as an aside, if your content management system can't accept real quotes in TYOOL 2014, you should set your unix beard on fire and jump in a barrel full of gasoline god drat

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Good Citizen posted:

Korea maybe?

That'd only be half credit at most.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

E: ^^ Wow, Vox is good poo poo ^^

Knockknees posted:

So I can't find an online summary of the VA scandal that isn't from Fox or similar. Any help? Everyone keeps talking about it, and I know the VA has been sucking, but I can't find a discussion of what specific thing came up to ignite this scandal...

Some of the hospitals were keeping secret waiting lists to make their turnaround time look more reasonable: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/ That's nearly a month old now.

The big :supaburn: is that some people on the secret list died, so maybe they died because they didn't get care in time http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/ That's over a month old.

And they keep finding out about other locations with secret waiting lists, so the chances that someone has died due to lack of prompt medical care are going up.

Here's a good podcast that includes a discussion of the scandal if you want to listen instead of reading.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 27, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Fried Chicken posted:

The Japanese actually attacked us though and did so with a sucker punch, just like how the Germans actually marched through Russia and did so despite the Molotov-Ribbonoff Pact.

To be fair, it wasn't intended to be a total sucker punch. The Japanese embassy in Washington just took too long to decode and translate the declaration of war. Can't find any decent sources online to back me up, though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

VitalSigns posted:

I guess, but a declaration of war an hour before bombs start falling thousands of miles away isn't exactly much better than an outright sneak attack. If your "honorable" declaration is to wait until the absolute last second and hope it's too late to organize any resistance, you might as well just not bother.

Eh, we still had plenty of warning. It was mostly a lack of manpower that kept us from being able to read drat near everything the Japanese navy sent over radio. Not that they knew that, of course.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Didn't get rid of any of the idiotic blue laws but now that regulations are out of the way it's time for my telegraphy startup to really disrupt communications :getin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mister Bates posted:

You're delusional if you honestly believe the wealthy or the politically powerful are ever drafted. It's nowhere near as much of an equaliser as people think.

That's fine because it increases solidarity among the non-wealthy and suspicion for any silver spoon who hasn't done his/her years of service.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

fool_of_sound posted:

"Please prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you attempted to prevent your college-aged son from having marijuana in his room, or else we'll have to charge you as an accomplice."

Some of you are as bad as Freepers when it comes to wanting justice only for the 'right' sort of people.

*ahem* http://www.propublica.org/article/law-to-clean-up-nuisances-costs-innocent-people-their-homes

Or just look up Asset Forfeiture

e: yes, I know they didn't arrest the owner, but it'd be laughably stupid to claim having her house taken away without a conviction isn't being punished for a crime someone else committed (probably) without her knowledge. She didn't even get the chance to try to prove her property wasn't worth of forfeiture, either, so it's worse in a way.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shageletic posted:

And we should go after white people due to how Mormons voted. So stupid.

No, we should call out a group pf people for, after fighting for their own civil rights within living memory, when confronted with a (partially overlapping!) group that also wants civil rights, tells them to get hosed because that's rank goddamn hypocrisy.

Christ, left-wing infighting is so :ironicat::allears: sometimes.

E: am I the only one who remembers this being a fairly common talking point when Prop 8 passed? The Daily Show had a segment about it where Larry Willmore said the same loving thing

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 4, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

VitalSigns posted:

Do keep in mind that there's an important distinction between calling out anti-equality black people as hypocrites, and treating black people as a hivemind just because a majority voted a certain way.

If Dan Savage strayed into "If only blacks didn't have the vote, this might not have happened" then it's definitely the latter.

Just listen to the audio the Paul MaudDib linked. He does his current events opinionating in the first segment of the podcasts, to it'll be the first thing you hear and it'll take less than 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Working men of all nations, unite! *immediately fractures into a dozen squabbling factions*

"The LBTQUIG Empowerment Front denounced the GIBLT Power Network today for being insufficiently strident in their support for ...."

Or any Tumblr Socil Justis Warrir

• Locked thread