Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

CannonFodder posted:

After my parents die I plan on strapping on a SCUBA rebreather attached to a helium tank. I'm not so much of an rear end in a top hat to have them bury me, but after that all I would be waiting for is nuclear fire.

I have accepted eventual death and go through the rest of my life upbeat and accepting of all. My bp is borderline high because I'm fat, but I don't feel stressed. Unless someone cuts me off when driving, gently caress that :argh:

That is loving depressing. PM me if you want to talk but drat, you need to be hospitalized or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

VitalSigns posted:

If I'm posting in this thread at the same time, it's perfectly normal social drinking, right?

You aren't alone. So yes.

Edit:

It is only alcoholism when it fucks your life up.
You really don't want to go there, it isn't fun.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ParaPraxis posted:

I loving love this thread.

Heh, it isn't even Monday yet.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I'm starting to actually feel concerned because people are posting poo poo I find crazy.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

FBI doesn't generally deal with suicide. I wonder what the protocol is for those tips? Do they just shrug them off or pass them on to a local authority?

They would probably try to stop it if they could, but he wasn't talking about killing himself right now.
So they aren't going to care. Jesus people, drink up and chill out.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wubbles posted:

If there so many unhappy people in this thread, "prescribing" drinking is extremely irresponsible.

Holy poo poo, wa wa wa. Cry me a river;

Of loving alcohol. Yeah baby.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wubbles posted:

What? It is! That sort of talk risks affecting people in a very destructive manner. I'm not saying that any of you, personally, are going to make people abuse alcohol, but individual affirmations like these do make some contribution.

There's a reason people are going out of their way to tell the guy who was talking about killing himself that he should get help.

I was the first person to tell him to get help.
What is your point?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

See, Wubbles, this derail is your fault. Feel better?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Dystram posted:

Put your faith in the police state, comrade. :commissar:

Is that your argument? Come back when you can actually write about it and justify it. I'm not going to say you are right or wrong but your effort loving sucked. Try harder.

Or was that sarcasm? Your sarcasm sucks. :)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wubbles posted:

Oh, yeah. Well, at least I've been reminded of how good I am at suppressing unhappy things.

At any rate, it's probably not a great idea to advocate destructive behavior in what is apparently a hub for the depressed, be it alcohol abuse or murdering bankers or whatever else.

see the difference one comment can make? :smug:

Yeah, the next thing you know we will be riding our fixed bikes on non bike lanes. By god, we are going to revolt. This hub, is a forum with tens of thousands of viewers. If one person is suicidal, that doesn't make it a loving 'hub', which I'm sure you know. Your comment was dumb, so you managed to gently caress the thread up while people piled over each other to tell you how loving dumb you were.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

That is just loving unnecessary.

Hopefully a lot of people quote it and it never dies. Hah.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

As I am planning my enrollment in Graduate school for the fall, I'm also dealing with the reality that my undergrad loans are coming due soon. Holy poo poo this is a nightmare. I'm going to have to buckle down in the next few days and call the federal loan service and work out an extension so that I don't have to worry about it, or try and get income based repayment set up. I turned 41 in January, and I don't plan on paying this poo poo back. I know that sounds horrible, but the system is dumb as gently caress. Once I have my graduate degree I'm going to leave the country and they can suck my dick if they want their money back. Well, I guess if I land a good job that pays well, I might just pay them off the first few years. I live poor, so paying my entire income towards my loans wouldn't put me out too much. I could deal with it. But I know the reality, I will probably be well educated and in a ton of debt, with a lovely job. I refuse to be a debt slave. gently caress that.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

As long as you are half time in grad school(so 1 class a semester) your loans will go back into deferment and you won't have to pay poo poo, and the subsidized ones won't even accumulate any interest.

That is why I was looking at a deferment. Isn't it five graduate credits a semester to avoid repayment? I should find the financial aid thread again, that thing was really informative.
Essentially, I can't pay out much if any money over the summer before grad school begins in the fall. I've been looking for a job, but there are no real jobs in my state, they are all sales or retail. Imagine the most broken economic model you could, that is Idaho. I'm stuck working part time because my employer is a loving greedy corporation. I've worked for them for 16 years, but they can't find me 40 hours. They want flexibility, but I refuse to work outside of my schedule, because if you can't schedule me, then gently caress off. I have a bad attitude, but I if they want me to work they shouldn't ask me to stay when I am getting ready to clock off, they should schedule me. Amazingly enough, I'm not the only one with this attitude, they have a ton of part time people now, but no one will come in on their day off or stay late. Imagine that, people don't like being hosed with. Who knew.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 13, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

RATIONAL ACTORS, FREE MARKET...oh gently caress why are so many of our educated people leaving the country?

Though I am a bit curious. Do they not see the student loan bubble coming and think this can go on forever, is there some reason it won't actually happen that I don't understand or is there some finance industry horse-poo poo wizardry with no grounding in reality that can be pulled to somehow suck even more money out of the situation as the whole system burns to the ground?

It's the last one isn't it?

The government is making a ton of profit on interest from student loans. Elizabeth Warren just proposed a bill to bring that to an end, and lower payments, but meh. People in general don't seem to care that the system is loving over students.

I found her speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6N-bU2jiM

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 13, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

I got a lovely BA in Political Science (I now work in IT in a completely unrelated field natch) and I was one day from taking out the first semester's of $30,000 worth of loans to go to a sub-T3 law school in south Texas.

Instead, I said "gently caress that poo poo", withdrew my application, moved back to Colorado, and am student loan debt-free and have been working at a steady job for the last 6 years. Probably one of the best decisions of my life.

I'm extremely fortunate that I was able to escape with as relatively little debt as I did from undergraduate education. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be saddled with six figure debt that isn't dischargeable (which is the most horrifying loving part, frankly) and not have a degree that could realistically get me a decent job anywhere.

In fact, if I ever go back to school for further education, it's going to be in a trade like welding, carpentry, plumbing or some type of mechanical repair, which is probably what I should have gone to school for in the first place.

I started working when I was 12 in my parents bakery. I've been working every day since. I've been in and out of college for 20 years, for a variety of reasons. I went back to school with a determination to finish a few years ago, because I understood that I couldn't do what I do everyday for the next 30 years. I'm getting old, and physical labor is great, but it also breaks down your body. I can't do what I do and be healthy when I'm 70. Since I'm only 40, I still have 30 years of work ahead of me, it only makes sense for me to educate myself and get a desk job. I graduated in the top of my High-school class, and I graduated with honors in college. I took out loans because I had to. I didn't make enough to cover the costs of my living expenses and school, and while I could do full time work and full time school when I was 28, I found that when I was 38, I couldn't. Or, maybe I could deal with full time work and school, but I couldn't be bothered to work that hard. Why should I? Hard work is meaningless. It means nothing. People act like hard work is the genesis of a greater life, all I've found over my 30 years of working hard is that hard work leads to more work and you still get paid poo poo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nessus posted:

They took the genuine sense of satisfaction that comes from exerting effort towards a goal and decided to conflate that with putting huge amounts of effort into meaningless bullshit, then further added that doing so was morally valuable in its own right. I suppose this did get a lot done, but it hasn't left a great legacy.

I was promised that if I worked hard, I would be rewarded. That was never questioned, work hard and be middle class. I make $15 an hour, which is a really good wage in my state. It is also, what my parents made when I was a kid in the 70's - 80's. According to them, we were poor. So, I'm an individual making what 1 of my 2 parents made, (they bought their house for $25K by the way), and I'm making a really great wage in today's society. Unfortunately, I am only working part time because my employer cut everyone's hours.
I'm completely flabbergasted as to why people aren't incredibly pissed and spitting mad. People I talk to are just loving happy to have a job, and no one is rebellious at all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Warchicken posted:

The student loan bubble will burst when millions upon millions of people can't pay their student loans and just stop giving even a hint of a gently caress about it, right? Won't the banks start garnishing the wages of like 50 percent of the entire country at once at that point? How exactly can we expect that to play out?

E: I'm halfway through my doctor of musical arts and pedagogy degree and will probably clear 100 grand in debt when all's said and done, but if I can have a living wage I'm fine with paying it back. As long as I can live a simple life with the bills covered while being a professional musician and educator I'm fine, I don't need to be rich or even middle class. But I have a feeling that even with three loving degrees and an extreme level of expertise that's not gonna be a possibility without working myself to death, and that's a big part of my desire to emigrate too because I really don't give a poo poo if it hurts a bank.

Most people owe the government, not the banks. That was one of the things Obama managed to pass. This was actually a good thing, but it is still loving ridiculous.
I also agree that education is not about wealth, it is about society. We have turned education into wealth, however, so any field that is not profitable is questionable. Education is about about more than money, and people that complain about societal costs need to be boiled alive.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 13, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

One of my good friends is ranting on Facebook about how the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery and how Robert E. Lee was really a cool person (because it's Confederate History Day or something?). This is really upsetting me (the perils of having white friends i guess). I don't even know what to say. So disappointing. :(

There was a post about this a few pages back? Or was it the Freep thread?
Somebody help me out here. The post owned. I wish I could conjour it up for you.

What you have to ask yourself is, why is he/she a good friend of yours at this point?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I love you.
And Magres, too!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Yeah in a lot of those places people easily go decades without seeing a black guy except on TV.

I always said there was no racism in my state because there were no people of color. As you can imagine, I offended a lot of other white people with that statement. I'll never forget when my family moved to a really small town and there was a mixed race family. I made friends with one of their kids, and my mom about passed out when she opened the door after I invited him over for dinner.

Later, she told me that I should have told her that my new friend was 'black'. I was in 5th grade. I'll never forget that, because it was when I realized how hosed up everything really was.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

BUSH 2112 posted:

The grocery store I work at is union, and we have two self-checkouts. The places around here that aren't union are the ones that don't have them, so idk. Really, it's not taking hours for anyone, it's just that instead of having a cashier, there's a coordinator that takes care of any problems with them. It's pretty much a win-win: the company gets two lanes open, and the coordinator is free to do other things instead of having to sit behind a register.

Our self checkout has 8 robot registers, with 1 attendant, and it handles almost 50% of our customers. I'm perfectly fine with this, because cashiering loving sucks.
We often run another 4 expresses and those lines can't keep up. Once it gets busy, everything goes to hell, regardless.
I love nothing better than spending 2 hours of my day in a register when I should be on the grocery floor working. I make twice as much as the cashiers, so it would only make sense to have more cashiers, but some rear end in a top hat in a suit decided they can save money by calling me to check when things get chaotic. Grocery stores are run by loving idiots.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Spatula City posted:

lol, they might try, but it'd be pathetic. Young women will turn out in droves to vote in the First Female President. Considering the terrible records almost every major Republican candidate has on women's issues, that would more than counterbalance any "youth appeal". This is even assuming they could get competent at appealing to younger voters. The only one who could would be Rand Paul, and he's definitely bad enough on women's issues to give Clinton another advantage.

If women did what their husbands told them to, this wouldn't be an issue. Yet another reason that America is in decline, emotional free thinking women.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

amanasleep posted:

This is almost comically nonsensical, since the majority needed to impeach is one they already have, and the majority they do not possess is not sufficient to convict. This is leaving aside that the NSA stuff is about the last thing that any Republican congress would use as grounds for impeachment.

Anyway, just so I can more accurately target the date of your departure, do you mean that the US House will vote to impeach if the Republicans gain a simple majority in the US Senate?

I'm almost certain he meant if Republican's gained a majority in the Senate.
He was arguing that Republican's are so loving crazy now, they will impeach Obama for anything, even if it is something that aligns with their ideals.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

computer parts posted:

Was Clinton's cruise missile campaign?

There is a lot of legality, or illegality involved with it. Especially when we killed Americans. That is the point, it doesn't matter that it is a drone program, what matters is that it is a legal grey area. Republicans are primed to jump on anything Obama does or does not do, and anything is fair game in terms of Obama's impeachment.

Why are people trying to assign reality to this? If they want to impeach Obama, they are going to. If the drone programs give them their best option, they will use the drone programs.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They must have had a ton of fun writing that.

Our tax dollars. :mad:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Boon posted:

It's actually a pretty good exercise as far as military planning goes... which is the whole point since it's at JPME which is an extensive course with the purpose of developing those skills. Military planning, by the way, extends to things such as "A giant hurricane just crashed into our east coast" and "Oh holy poo poo, a nuclear reactor just went critical from tsunami damage" You know. Things you'd actually want the military to be able to effectively assist with.

But eh, gently caress whatever I don't understand.

I think my sarcasm failed.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Most Hispanics are white, yes.

You know "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, right?

It is funny how the right always accuses us of using race, but the right doesn't understand race at all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

It is almost as if the Right doesn't care about reality and will endeavor to use whatever scare tactic they can make up.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

People who use or create their own definitions for words or ideas that are commonly understood; well, they are people that simply can not be reasoned with. Language and shared meaning are a core feature in culture and community, when people start loving around with words and meaning, they are either crazy or really really anti social.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SickZip posted:

Abstractly, why should he receive anything? He received "stolen goods" as much as you can say that any white person did from intergenerational transfers.

If were talking about racism in the span of his personal lifespan then :lol:. Truly he suffered as a denizen of Hawaii who then shuffled from liberal institution to liberal institution. He is a suffering victim and not someone who disproportionally received benefits and sentiments meant to help those suffering from the legacy of racism and slavery since he's "black" but lacks all the unpleasant rough edges and cultural markers generated by the actual legacy.

He probably wouldn't take Reparations if they were offered, because he doesn't need them. Neither does Michelle. Neither do his daughters. Neither does Colin Powel... etc. See how that works?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

absolem posted:

someone suggested that this argument be taken to its own thread, and that makes a lot of sense, could someone either do that for me or give me some pointers? I'll pay you in not making GBS threads up this thread like this anymore.

Hit the post button, copy your pastebin material into your OP, and make sure the title is witty and relevant. Just type anything, really. Everything you write is such bullshit it will act like chum on this forum. Do it now, it will be a fun thread for everyone involved, and this thread can go back to being whatever the hell it was before you showed up.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you do do this, shoot Xylo an email or PM or whatever first because I recall he had some specific rules for the last time jrodefeld did something like this.

e: welp

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636675

Haha, I can't believe that loving worked. :commissar:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Climate change: Super PAC targets Republicans who deny human role in warming.

quote:

Environmentalist billionaire Tom Steyer is taking aim at Republican politicians who reject climate change.
The retired hedge fund manager’s super political action committee, NextGen Climate Action, announced plans Wednesday to plunge $100 million into seven congressional and gubernatorial races, where Democratic candidates face opponents who have publicly expressed doubts about anthropogenic climate change or who receive donations from the fossil fuel industry.

"The debate on climate change is settled," Mr. Steyer told Reuters. "It is here, it is human-caused, and it is already having a devastating impact on our communities, but we need to accelerate the level of political support to address this critical issue before it's too late."

Steyer has thrown his financial backing behind Democratic candidates in the past, including President Obama and Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, but the NextGen campaign represents a more concerted effort to counter the massive sums being spent on Republican candidates by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch’s super PAC, Americans for Prosperity, according to NextGen's chief strategist, Chris Lehane.

"We're spending a drop in the big-oil bucket compare to what the fossil fuel industry is spending,” Mr. Lehane told the Associated Press. “All Tom is trying to do is really to level the playing field."

Steyer has already pledged $50 million of his own funds to NextGen and hopes to entice likeminded donors to match his contribution. Still, it is unclear if Democrats will be able to compete with Republican super PACs. The Koch brothers reportedly poured $400 million into the 2012 elections.

What NextGen lacks in spending power, it plans to make up for in pointed strategy. NextGen strategists will focus calculated ad campaigns that play on issues central to local constituencies in seven states. Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania are all in the super PAC’s sights.
“We are not going to be talking about polar bears and butterflies,” Lehane told the Los Angeles Times. “We are going to be talking about how this issue of climate impacts people in their backyards, in their states, in their communities.”

Caros posted:

Damnit! That motherfucker! I just finished putting up a carefully crafted Libertarian thread :negative:

I checked it out, it looks like a good OP.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 23, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SirKibbles posted:

I like how black people and libertarians are a separate group, they aren't even trying to hide it's a movement for white people only anymore :allears:

You see, black people just don't understand. Remember how Will Smith taught us that "Parents just don't understand"? It is sort of like that, only not, because it is racist as gently caress. I can't even not laugh about this poo poo anymore. I probably shouldn't but this crap just makes me laugh anymore it is so absurd.

SirKibbles posted:

Better late than never which is looking increasing likely as Obama's term comes to a close.

Once he decided to say gently caress compromise and told Republican's he wasn't playing their games anymore, he may actually be able to get some stuff done. Wow. What took him so drat long?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 23, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

XyloJW posted:

Speak of the devil...
The rule was "don't" but you know, I think I'll allow it for containment purposes.

Oh god thank you, I think we are all kind of bored.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

absolem posted:

Sorry about that. By the time I noticed someone suggest I contact you, I had already made the thread. I tried to make it something that could serve a more general purpose, but that probably didn't work.

I mean, my OP was a clusterfuck, and his was well written. Of course I still disagree with a lot of what he said, especially bashing ideas for the people originating them being nutty. On the other hand, I too dislike Molyneux (both stephan and peter, heh), although I don't think he's charismatic at all.

Then, after we do that, we can follow it up with a classic response to nuclear failures, a giant cover!

Stop being dense. Either close your thread or fix it.
If you think his thread is flawed, argue it in his thread.

Don't talk about this crap in this thread anymore.

Or... do whatever you want. I'm not backseat moderating at all. Nope. Not me. poo poo. :shobon:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Generations is a handy guide to gauging when someone is born, but if you want to understand someones beliefs you need to use the cohort system.
The fact that pollsters and politicians still use generations baffles me. There is no real accurate data there. People born at the same time in different places don't even represent each other, so the generation thing is just dumb.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

It's not about accurate data, it's about what the people who pay them want to know. X organization wants to know what "millenials" think, pollster duly uses the reported age of the interviewee to assign the response to the generation.

I was talking more political polling but you are exactly right.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

Has O'Keefe been even remotely as influential as he was before Breitbart dropped dead? I swear all I've seen him in the news for since has been him being a knobby little sex predator.

He was arrested and convicted for loving with Sen. Mary Landrieu’s office phone. Give him time, his kind always comes back.
http://thehill.com/capital-living/in-the-know/100105-filmmaker-okeefe-sentenced-in-sen-mary-landrieu-break-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Is it that inconceivable that I want to hear the argument of people that disagree with me? I understand that a gun control argument would derail this thread. That's why I simply want people to tell me their reasoning while I sit here and listen. I want to understand your position without ruining the thread by starting a gun control argument. I do not feel some obligation to defend my side of the argument, I just want clarity on what exactly you are supporting and what policies you want enacted.

You realize there is a thread on the shooting? You basically just destroyed this thread. :sotw:

Hell, delete your post and start a gun control thread, it will be fun! You can simply post the OP and you will never have to argue anything else in the thread, because other people will do it for you. It doesn't matter if you post or not, everyone else on the goddamn planet is going to.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread