Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'm the biggest loving carebear that never ganks players from opposing factions, but I always roll on PVP servers because

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Open world PvP is way more fun and breaks up the monotony of collecting space bear asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Taear posted:

There we are - I couldn't log in because my region was still set to NA from the open beta. I wonder how many others have the same issue?

I'm on the only EU english PvP server - Hazak. It defaulted me to the german RP server, which was a fun few minutes.

:siren: EU players that have been in the previous betas have to change their region through the launcher by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner! :siren:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't really wanna play a bunch of open beta and ruin retail for me so can anyone tell me if they optimized the game yet so it doesn't run like rear end on higher end stuff?

Still runs like rear end on decent hardware and dash bound to mouse 4/5 still doesn't work properly! :downsbravo:

Syrek posted:

The dash problem I (and plenty of others) have doesn't seem to be fixed, and it doesn't work with Steer either.

To clarify, when in mouse freelook, either by holding right mouse button or doing whatever you set Steer to, and having Directional Dash bound to an extra mouse button, dashing only works every other time and far from reliable.
To make it work every time I have to manually let go of RMB and then press Dash.

I'm not sure what causes this but it's one hell of an oversight and I'm not really sure how other people play this game if they didn't bother fixing that.

Here's how you reproduce the bug: use Steer or hold down right mouse button, hold down a direction and slightly pan the camera while hammering on whichever mouse button you've bound to directional dash. This has been reported several times over a few months I believe.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 8, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Is there any recommendations to avoid the low performance issues on high end PCs? Is there a particular setting or two which is causing issues for a lot of people?

The game actually isn't CPU bottlenecked most of the time but it does peg the GPU for no reason. It doesn't seem to be using occlusion culling, so every single thing in your view is being rendered even if it's hidden by a different surface with the only cutoff being distance. This doesn't explain why some setups work less poorly though, but since going from DX11 (20-30fps) to DX9 (10-20fps) actually lowers performance, the only thing I can think of is that they're doing something weird with shaders or particles that works worse on Kepler and GCN GPUs than Fermi.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Taear posted:

It's bizzare to me that 15/20 is unplayable, I've played games without too much issue at 10 or even 5 (usually PvP ones where it's super duper crowded at this point).
Okay it's not ideal, but 20 seems like you wouldn't really notice a difference.

As someone who not so long ago poked at ini files and SM3 emulators just to get games working at >10 fps, let me tell you that the difference between 20-30 and 30-40fps is enormous, never mind Wildstar's 15-30 with dips well under 10 fps. The best part is that it runs so poorly because the rendering engine does stupid poo poo not actually complex visuals and effects.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cyster posted:

Yeah, we optimized for lower-end systems first. Still working on optimization for higher-end. A good deal of the content-side optimization is in maintenance mode at this point so I'm not as connected to the process as I used to be, but I know they're still working.

When a GTX660 and 780ti perform pretty much identically or the later preforming worse, it's less of an optimization issue and more something going horribly, horribly wrong with the rendering engine.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BQuietNDrive posted:

Anyone have any input on the Esper? I've played most of the classes to 15-20 range, but I can't get past Esper's lack of mobility on their base attack.

Start at max range, pop two Concentrated Blades, wait a sec, Telekinetic Strike twice, Bolster on self, Mind Burst. Congratulations, you've killed a pack! Espers get a mobile builder with Spectral Frenzy at 11 or 15 I believe, but it's sort of clunky to use.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

fugly posted:

Is the Engineer viable without bots? I've been dicking around with various classes and only have level <10 knowledge of all of them.

Engineer seems really fun - good AOE builder, high DPS spender, lovely bot that is way too slow to be useful

Esper - ugh, have to stand still a lot for the builder.

Stalker - fun rogue-y stuff, high DPS

Warrior - bit weird, animations feel a little 'off'

Spellslinger - slightly more mobile than the Esper but still a bit annoyingly static

Medic - didn't try it

It seemed that the only reason to use bots was for their actives but they didn't need much micro. Getting the Bruiser bot is worth it early on just for the two interupts though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, they really should flipped the level 1 and level 11 Esper abilities around. It's a fantastic class now I'm higher level, but the static nature of its basic attack really threatened my interest.

I think the issue with this is that Espers get most of their damage from throwing mind birds and the two builders achieve said throwing very differently. Spectral Frenzy builds points faster but needs some backup skills to offset the fact that you're a cloth class that has to stay in melee range, while Telekinetic Strike lets you build charges from a safe distance meaning more skill slots can be dedicated to builders. I think the later play style doesn't work as well early on since the skill slots you get to play with are very limited.

Edit: vvv iirc the first battleground opens at level 6 vvv

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 11, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Phrasing posted:

I like Medic, but Medic seems to be one of the most popular classes by far and that irks my unique snowflake.

As usual, goon consensus is about as far as you can get from the actual population: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/21bnwo/has_carbine_released_any_metrics_about_population/cgbuwoh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Phrasing posted:

Ok fair enough but I wonder what the numbers look like now? That data is a month old.

The previous counts I've seen were pretty much the same except Esper and SS numbers being a tad higher and Warriors being slightly lower, Medics being last by a good margin. It's possible that the open beta has shifted that a tad, but worst(best?) case Medics are about equal instead of being the least populated.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Poultron posted:

By the way, I hate to ask this here, but Googling this hasn't given me anything. I get extremely low FPS in this game. Way lower than I should be, on ANY graphical settings. My PC is definitely not the best (my CPU in particular is hideously outdated, but still relatively strong), but I can't even break 30 FPS on Ultra Low. That seems ridiculous to me. Other games run just fine, even though I usually have to turn the settings down just a tad.

I've already tried deleting everything in the AppData folder, as well as using DX9 mode, but neither seems to help. I have tried disabling/enabling vsync, and tried disabling a few addons that seem to hog frames, but nothing works. I did used to run some addons but even with no custom addons it's the same. My relevant specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz
RAM: 6 GB DDR2
GPU: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Game also makes my card run pretty hot, though I have a feeling that's because it's like 90 degrees here.

Congratulations, it's like that for me and a bunch of other people. I'm at a loss what's the cause but the game pegs the GPU at 100% and the difference between the highest and lowest graphics settings at native res is maybe 5-10 fps. I managed to get the game to >50 fps when pointing the camera at the wall or floor in the tutorial sections, worst case is looking at distant geometry, dropping down to <20 fps. Worst thing is that there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the hardware it happens to.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Your processor is seven years old. It's time to upgrade.

This would be good advice if he was CPU limited.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 11, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Protokoll posted:

WildStar, like other MMOs is a CPU-bound game. Those video settings you are messing with change GPU-bound settings -- you won't notice any difference in your framerate between ultra low and the upper bound of your GPU. The short answer is to upgrade your CPU. The long answer is that the GPU-bound settings in this game are only the shiny graphics effects that are right up in your face and adjusting the video options won't make much of a difference at all if you're being capped by your CPU. Carbine has acknowledged that the game is not optimized for multi-threaded computing right now; this is why most people have poor framerates. They're working on it.

This is bullshit, the tutorial ships are nowhere near CPU limited even on pretty ancient hardware and the GPU fan noise is a giveaway that it isn't being underutilized.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Protokoll posted:

As many people have pointed out, for many users the game is CPU bound most of the time. This is why for many of you, adjusting the options don't seem to help much; the options mostly affect GPU performance. In order to solve this, we need get more of the game to run in parallel on more cores. Unfortunately, this is a time consuming and fairly difficult task; code on one core has to be careful not to modify data in use on other cores. Mistakes could result in an access violation and a crash; to make things worse, reproducing the crash is difficult because it depends on timing between the cores. Writing multithreaded code isn't easy :)

But we are making progress - the next patch coming out has several more optimizations of this nature, as well as a fix for the target frames, which was causing some stuttering when moving around the world. This patch should go live early next week.

The main time when the frame rate is GPU bound is during large special effects right in front of the camera. We're currently adding some options to limit the number of those particles - these will take a little longer but should make it in before launch.

I can't promise these two fixes are going to make the game run like butter on every pc out there, but I can promise incremental ongoing improvement up to and beyond launch.

Thank you,
Sean

Believe what you want.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42544-client-optimization/page-5#entry421165

Best case.

More complex, no distant geometry.

Distant geometry, complex scene.

Distant geometry, complex scene min settings.

Distant geometry, complex scene max settings.

Distant geometry, simple scene.

Two cores loaded at 30-50%, 100% GPU utilization except when changing graphics settings (performance is identical when closing Opera for another 1GB of RAM)

Your quote would generally be true if not for what I can only guess is the geometry rendering code choking on random hardware configurations. Carbine, please provide me with access to the source and your preferred profiling tools, tia.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AzureRequiem posted:

Is 30FPS on Medium what I should be expecting for my rig (GTX 760 OC, FX-6300), or is the game still suffering from optimization issues?

The game runs like poo poo on random configs regardless of the CPU and GPU vendor, so it's pretty much a coin flip. No known fixes, if deleting the NCSOFT folder in %appdata%/roaming doesn't help.

• Locked thread