Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
That guide was pretty helpful. Thanks, Leo.

I've been dicking around in the Su-25T waiting for a sale, but July might be too far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
What iPad app do you use for the A-10C dash, Vahakyla?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

Aside from the steep learning curve, the one thing that has been messing with me is that it's hard to read a lot of the cockpit displays. Is there a separate resolution setting for these?

There is a separate option for cockpit resolution. It may have defaulted to low.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Is there an easier way to change steerpoints other than manually jamming the number in on the UFC STRP menu?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

S
Shift-S

Thanks!

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Krause was better at 1.5x speed settings. He covers almost too much.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
So ED is having a flash sale for another 10 hours, but rumor has it steam summer sale 2014 starts tomorrow. I want the helos. This is a toughie.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

DSauer posted:

All the same, gently caress dogfighting at night; having your vision restricted to a little tube is harsh.

I'm pretty sure you can enable full screen night vision in the game difficulty options.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
A friend and I picked up DCS A10 and CA and completed Hideout. Anyone have any mission recommendations for two people?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Count me in for helicopter shenanigans! Safe landings not guaranteed.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
There are some really neat DCS community missions that make use of all the modern aircraft. They seem to require more than a handful of people, though. Operation Silk Road is an example of one.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Don't contrail guys.

Ha. He rage quit. That's the real kill.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

EpicPhoton posted:

Unofficial Poll: Would you play a study-sim, based on a fictional plane(s)?

Definitely. It would need a good hook though. For DCS, its that you can pick up chicks by telling them you can probably fly a real fighter jet.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
One week until ED reveals DCS 2.0 was just an April Fools joke and that their next module is the Cessna 152.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
PSA: Steam is having a DCS weekend sale. Most modules are 70% off. Steam keys will activate on the ED standalone. Link.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone want to take a wing of Mig-21s out for a Sunday drive this afternoon?

I fell back in love last night when I discovered pop-up strikes, and the resulting canyon chases. Feels good to take out 4th gen fighters in a tin can with a rocket on the back, even if they are AI. :black101:

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I use Iron's x52 profile for all modules and just map each new plane as I learn within DCS itself. I avoid using Saitek's profiler whenever possible.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Dedicated servers were mentioned as not being ready for v1.5 and are currently slated for v2.0.

The new server browser is in though.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Hell yeah. I'll be there- likely on fire.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I did a fresh install of BMS 4.3.3 and imported Iron's X52 v2.3 key file in BMS. It seems to assign slightly random assignments (MFD 15 on trigger?). The key file itself checks out in Notepad. Each variant seems to be 50% correct, 50% random after import (3 hat directions are good CMS, 4th is lock target?). Its recognizing the correct button is being pressed, just has the wrong action assigned to it.

Anyone else run into this?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for the tips on the stick. Fought with it for an hour and couldn't get the Win 10 drivers to install on any other port.

Maybe one day the computer gods will reassign it to ID 0 and I can be terrible at another sim.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

If you hung out on IRC with us old fuckers I could have given you the utility you need to change your joystick IDs around.

Everyone needs to be in the IRC.

I found a utility that does this on a Street Fighter fan site. My x52 is the only device.

I'm thinking it may be with the keyfile import. Apparently most people are just using their old keyfile, not trying to bridge a new one in. It seems to break the file when its imported and reassign things to where they would be on the default profile (e.g. pinky on button 3). I suppose I will wait to see if Iron's profile gets updated.

Has anyone else done a fresh install and sucessfuly imported an original 4.32 profile (not a custom one used/saved with the old client)?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I resolved the issue! I imported the Iron x52 keyfile in BMS, saved it in BMS as a new profile, then restarted BMS. I also kept the x52 profiler clear until after it was done. This seemed to resolve it. That or it was just all the restarts and plugging unplugging.

Works great now. Was so enamored with the new visuals that I oversped my gear off.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

While I'm waiting on them to finally make a download link for BMS....

(chat was what made it worth it.)

https://youtu.be/MRh6o35diiU

Elo: Wait what.
Elo: What got me?

Beautiful.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Jiblet posted:

Thanks, but so far it's consistently 32 buttons off. So every time I do what you've suggested, it's still wrong.
I think it's detecting my pedals as device 0 so assigning all the fun important stick functions to the 32 buttons don't have on there.

I guess I need to go edit the keyfile and add 32 to everything. Which is why I always go back to DCS :(

There is a tool to switch the DeviceID. This is the one I used- JoyID.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Heads up- the Warthog hotas is $314 at B&H right now with free shipping and no tax outside NY.

I finally caved. And of course I need rudder pedals now. God help my wallet.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
They just dropped their 9/10 rated used Warthog to $250 as well. It comes with a Warranty but doesn't specify the length.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Wh1plash posted:

Can fly an f-16 without rudders. It really only helps with slow turns

That's a very good point. I do like the Mig and occasional Huey though.

Anyone have experience with the Saitek Pro Combat pedals? They look the least offensive. Maybe I can pretend they are to a car I'm fixing up.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I had the random assignments issue. I'm not sure exactly what solved it, but I think I restarted, loaded it up, loaded the keyfiles, and then restarted the game, and it miraculously worked.

I kept playing around with the profile saving/loading a whole bunch too. It was a huge fight and I probably should have just changed the keybinds manually.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I have put a few hours in it. It's pretty great.

There is no content for it currently, so only recommended if you like flying around. There is one target range mission for the a10, that's it.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I'm running 3440x1440 and it looks phenomenal. It filled in the aspect ratio on its own.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Did anyone pick up the DCS Mirage 2000 that can share their thoughts?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks. I love the mig21, but have a hard time finding uses for it given its unique era. Sounds like the same deal.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

slidebite posted:

Also, I just ordered a new monitor, a Dell U3415W widescreen curved, 3440x1440. I assume it will have no problem with that resolution? Running a 980ti.

You will have no problems. Currently maxing the same resolution with a lowly 390x.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I fly the mig21 on and off. I've been working through the dynamic campaign trying to get better.

I'll try organizing something next week if there's interest

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Join me this Saturday at 1PM EST in purging fascist aggressors from the Caucasus in everyone's favorite Soviet death rocket- the Mig-21bis!

The mission is is the famed Mig21 dynamic campaign by MBot. Mudspike raves about it here. Seven slots available; six Russian rocket-coffins and a player AWACs (in spectator).

Mig-21 #1: Comrade Snaxx
Mig-21 #2: Comrade Forums Terrorist
Mig-21 #3: Comrade Mirage
Mig-21 #4: Comrade BMan
Mig-21 #5: Comrade Deutsch Nozzle
Mig-21 #6: Comrade Ghetto Wormhole
AWACs/GCI: Comrade MrYenko (Tentative)

Alternate 1: Lockmart Lawndart

Snaxx fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
1.5 stable.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
And the flight is full within hours! Those capitalist pigs are likely still trying to fit into their pants.

If for whatever reason you can no longer save our Republic on Saturday, please let me know so I can open the slot.

I'll put the server up at noon for practice, to help limit our self-induced casualty rate. We can use the airgoons mumble.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Putting up the server now for practice. Real deal at 1:00EST (45 mins from now).

Server name: "goony goony goon goon"
ip: 69.116.183.74:10308
pw: lljk

AirGoons Mumble (in Op)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Looks like we will have a free spot. Lawndart has dibs if he wants it. Otherwise, jump in.