Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ZekeNY posted:

Not sure if I'll pull the trigger on that one, but it does look nice.

Same. It's cool that itll be in there and all, but the airframe itself doesn't do much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Want.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool WWII guy, but drat do I wants me some Tomcat.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Logged into my home PC from work via VPN just to download it. It's happening!!!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I didn't crash and burn on my first landing, so that's a plus, but gently caress I have no idea what I am doing in this thing.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Well calling it a night after ~3 hours with the tomcat. Wow, what a beast. Definitely a pilot's airplane with all the steam gauges and lack of all the modern amenities. My kind of bird. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
In the F-14, I find my pitch and roll stabilization switches keep turning off. I understand there's a threshold of the flight envelope that will automatically turn them off, but I've seen them click off on straight and level flight. That, unfortunately, instantly disconnects the AFCS. In fact, I was flying around last night using the AFCS for straight and level flight and all of a sudden it just disconnected. I looked down to find the pitch and roll stabilization switches were off again. Not sure if it's a bug, or if I'm outside of some mystical parameter that I'm not aware of.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

Went through the pilot cold start training mission a few times well setting up my TrackIR for the F-14. My neck hurts.

Yep. gently caress that hydraulic switch on the right rear panel in particular.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

TIL that the K- designation for tanker aircraft comes from the word "Kerosene."

Huh.

TIL2. Jet fuel is essentially kerosene, so that makes sense.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wow. That's awful. Reminds me of when the ARMA3 devs got jailed in Greece for spying when they were taking pics of some military base.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Oglogoth posted:

Is ED aware that we built an aircraft carrier inside a lake in WWII?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

Two, even. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've been really trying to get good with the Hornet lately and now that I've got the hang of it, I'm really enjoying it. I'm having a problem with the radar though and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. On the Hoggit Training Server, there's a respawning flight Aviajet C101's that circle around as A2A drones. I can't, for the life of me, get the Hornet's radar to lock on them. I slew my designator to bracket the radar contact and hit the TDC depress key. The radar azimuth indicator jumps to the designator, wiggles back and forth between the designator brackets for 3-4 seconds, then returns to its regular sweep. This happens at any range. I can get a successful lock in boresight mode on a target that I can't lock by slewing and pressing the TDC designator, so I know I'm within the radar's operational limits. But, not being able to get a lock in anything but boresight mode makes shooting sparrows or amraams nearly impossible.

What am I doing wrong?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

OhsH posted:

Press it twice.

That immediately drops the radar back to normal sweeps and returns the designator to the upper left corner of the display. :confused:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

OhsH posted:

Ah hell i dont remember the hornet.

Well, I appreciate the thought, anyway. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
LTWS was the problem. Thanks!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah I'm playing in expert so I don't think level autopilot is active.

Yeah I thought as much.

Next question: the bf109 CAN carry bombs though I know that's not it's primary duty, will I get ground attack bombing missions? It would be nice if I did to break up pure fighter duties.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe you will get many bombing missions in a 109F career.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Autumn sale is on now. 50% off most modules. Just snagged the Harrier for $35. Not bad. :cool:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Bf109 e-7 career has ended it seems. My pilot set down due to damage behind enemy lines and was captured. Enjoying Russian hospitality during WW2? RIP.

So I started my P-40 campaign and got a kill in the first flight. Plane agrees with me in a way the 109 didn't, which is curious. Hopefully this one lasts longer, since I didn't even make it to snow season in battle of Moscow as a 109.

I'm enjoying your campaign updates and I encourage you to post more. However, you know there is a dedicated Il2 BoX thread, right? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413. It's slow, but if you post, it'll pick up.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
An update was released today to unfuck A/G munitions in the Hornet. Seems that while building the Walleye, they forgot to test dropping bombs from anything other than an airstart, so if you ground started the jet, your bombs would hang on the rails ad infinitum. :stare:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The A-7 Corsair II was just announced, though it's from a third-party, so not the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

https://flyingironsimulations.com/blogs/news/dcs-a-7e-corsair-ii-by-flyingiron-sims

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
DCS World: This thread is in Early Access

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

DCS World: Only forward, never backwards, because those won’t be implemented even on carriers. And twirling, twirling towards 1.0

Love it

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

MrYenko posted:

There should never not be a USS Midway, but I also think we should throw caution to the wind and name the next one either USS Battle Off Samar or USS Samuel B. Roberts.

:colbert:

I would support a new Sammy B.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe I missed the memo on this, but how much of my A-10C knowledge is going to transfer to the A-10C II?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
One thing that has always frustrated me about DCS is how an update might completely change procedures that have been in place for years. I've been proficient with the A-10C (not the II subvariant) for 8-9 years. Tonight, I fired it up for the first time in six or eight months and when I try to drop GBU-12s I get nothing but "AUTOLASE FAIL" as my bomb sails off into the sunset.

Recent updates have also changed the way laser-guided weapons are deployed in the F-18, so now I have to relearn a routine to fight in that. Other instances I can recall are changing the startup sequence in the Huey and the Bf-109.

I get why it happens, but it's just frustrating and off-putting. I don't have a ton of time to devote to this and having the rug pulled out from under me annoys me.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

If you like that, and have IL-2, try the Pat Wilson Campaign Generator.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31229-get-pwcg-here/

It's a fan campaign generator that's supposedly better than the stock one. I haven't figured out how to get work it yet but it's promising

Make sure you install the 64b version of Java. That's the number 1 issue.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

Make sure you give Zucky all your data if you plan on getting a Quest.

I thought I heard that whole facebook requirement got dropped? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Saukkis posted:

The opposite actually. Grandfathered Oculus accounts will be dropped in the future and Facebook account will be mandatory.

:cripes:

Wow. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Unbelievable.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Unplug this device, then repeat with the other. Doing this with more than one device plug in can brick your stick/throttle.

Holy poo poo that's crappy software design.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

anything after Midway was just a curb-stomping.

I take umbrage with this statement on behalf of the entirety of the Guadalcanal campaign.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Wolfy posted:

Its my understanding that trimming planes in real life is a lot different.

I suppose it's like anything with digital vs analog controls. Lots of a/c have trim wheels (though this seems less common in more modern planes) which allow you to fine tune infinitely precise trim inputs. Most jets in this game have trim buttons that turn the trim motors on or off with no setting in between.

Or, as in the case with my IL2 settings, the aircraft simulate an analog trim wheel, but my input is a digital button, so I'm constantly fiddling with trim.

Anyway, in real airplanes that I've flown (light GA aircraft), even with a trim wheel, you're always fiddling with trim to some degree. It's unavoidable as the aircraft is constantly changing it's flight parameters in countless subtle ways. So, in short, digital vs analog, sim vs real... You're always fiddling with trim unless you hit autopilot switch.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
We're saying the same thing; you're just saying a lot more of it. :D

In all seriousness though, you're absolutely right. Flight is such a fluid and dynamic thing, that constantly mucking with trim is the reality until you start bringing autopilots to the table.

Edit to add: sincere thanks for the effort post. That's a perfect summary of trim and stability.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Every now and then I have to take my old pedals apart and blast the pot with electric contact cleaner, else I get a lot of what you're describing. If the curves don't work for you, consider cleaning the potentiometer.

In an external view on the ground, move your feet and watch the rudder. Does it smoothly follow your motion or does it jump around and/or jitter at some point in the travel? If the latter, clean your potentiometers.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Xakura posted:

Easier to check for jitter in the axis tune panel, than looking at the rudder ingame.

You do you.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

Lol

“I bought a study sim that openly advertises near-to-life fidelity on almost all airframes and I am pissed it doesn’t play like War Thunder or IL-2, games that are either free and/or fulfill my desired level of gameplay.”

And the point of those infinite ammo/invulnerability options is so you can practice with those systems.

Don't be a dick.

Gonna go against the hivemind here and side with OP on this. It's a game. Making ultra realistic settings optional should be a standard, not an afterthought. I should be able to play a game however I want.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
"Hey, the DCS thread has some traction today! Someone must've mentioned VR."

"Yep, someone mentioned VR."

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I’ve never flown in any military aircraft but even just having been in several GA planes could tell you DCS feels the most realistic.

MSFS was super disappointing in this regard, and for that one I have direct references to the aircraft being simulated. Xplane did a better job.

I agree with everything you said. I have about 310hrs in GA aircraft and fs2020 is the weakest FM by far.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's DCS's inane ground handling that totally unsuited for tail draggers. It totally destroys the WW2 birds for me.

Wait, what? I'm no DCS fanboi, but ground handling for taildraggers is *light-years* ahead of things like FS2020.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

(gently caress you comcast)

Behold! The herald of truth hath spoken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Without any WWII opfor, what exactly are those neato corsairs and hellcata going to be used for?