Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
GOW Ragnarok is a lot of fun, but there's one big pain in the rear end if you're not the right level. If you are way under leveled against an enemy their health bar will be red, you will basically do no damage, and likely die in 2 hits. Tough but fair. If you are below the level the enemy bar is purple, but with decent skill you can tough it out. Cool. This is probably where I spent a fair amount of my time, challenging optional enemies maybe a little ahead of time. And by and large it's ok. Either I'd win after a few attempts, or decide that I need to try again later and then come back with better armor/more levels.

This game has a mechanic where you can buy resurrection stones, which, as long as you have a companion with you, you can get back up with half health when you die. There's a short window to hit square to start the action, or let it go and choose to continue from the beginning instead. Cool, a quick second chance if you are close to beating this boss. And I like those battles, even when I lose, as long as it's within a few hits or dodges, because I know I can get there eventually.

Except one Dark Elf bastard, and his 2 minion friends.

The Dark Elf chiefs have an ability where they will back up, out of your attack range, and shoot three grenades at your feet. You can't counter this, only dodge. Not a huge deal, but annoying as you are learning patterns or dealing with other minions. Remember that resurrection I mentioned above? It happens in "real time", meaning that while you are on the ground getting healed, enemies are able to move around, taunt, and attack. And without fail, this son of a bitch would throw a grenade at my feet every time. So now, queue a montage of fighting, dying, resurrecting, and getting immediately blown up, because there literally is not enough time to do anything between get on your feet and the explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

It's hard to believe that Santa Monica skipped putting equipment loadouts into God of War: Ragnarok. The number of things to equip would put any RPG to shame and in many cases even if you combined the equipment of your entire party compared to Ragnarok's 1 (and 1/3) playable character.

The game is clearly designed for the player to unlock powerful synergies in different builds but switching between them must be so tedious. Just the Amulet by itself has 9 slots.

Yeah, going back post game, this is annoying. There's a dozen different builds that are supposed to bulldoze the super bosses, but changing 3 armors, 3 weapon hilts, 6 runic attacks, a shield style, plus a rondle, relic and any number of combinations on the amulet - it gets tedious.

I am eagerly awaiting NG+ and I'd kind of enjoy a mini boss rush mode. Give me respawning drauger holes, more dragons, and more trolls. I don't care if it makes no sense, let me re-challenge the berserkers again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The best thing about Driver is after the tutorial garage, you basically never use any of those buttons again. You never have to burnout or slalom again IIRC. I think there were one or two missions where you had to scare a passenger by driving recklessly, and maybe you would have to hard brake before hitting a wall or do a sharp turn, but basically none of the skills thrust upon you in the first 2 minutes show up again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Phigs posted:

I was going to make a very similar reply.

There's also no point to it outside of the radiated zone. If I can fight just fine without something that is slow and clunky then that's what I'm going to do. Something slow and clunky, and that requires a consumable besides, is never something I'm going to use in the general case so you need special use cases for it to make me use it. And you need to make those use cases common enough for me to care about the suit overall and not just treat it like a special condition for 1 mission.

I always installed a mod that made power armor not drain fusion cores, but that brings up a good point.

In the tutorial, and pretty much everywhere else in the game, you get fusion cores from generators that are powering entire buildings*, and have been since before the bombs dropped. I'm no physicist or mechanical engineer or anything fancy, but if you have a power source that can power a three story, fully functional museum with lights, pre-recorded displays, dioramas and all the basic infrastructure for 200+ years uninterrupted, maybe a power armor suit shouldn't drain that battery in 5 minutes. Or if it does, the power should be super crazy. You should be able to punch a hole in that tutorial deathclaw. Then it makes sense, to need special training so you don't snap your own legs backwards, and then yeah, the massive power draw could be explained.

*And, disappointingly, what happens when you do pull the power supply for the whole building? A single light, directly around the generator flickers. I know it would be a lot, but if you pull the power supply, the whole building should go dark. Lights out, computers go down, anything locked electronically is either down to manual lockpicking or is just inaccessible. Add a mechanic like that for immersion. Are you playing a sneaky character, where cover of darkness adds advantages to your sneak attacks? Or are you looking to gain access to this super weapon that is locked behind this security gate that can only be unlocked from a nearby terminal?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Annoying that in Ragnarok there is not a quick way to the Map. It's either hold the touchpad down (works only half the time) or tap it to go into the menus and scroll over to it. Why the map isn't the default option for the menu screen instead of gear, I don't know. It's not like you need super convenient access to gear because the game doesn't allow re-equipping during combat anyway.

I had some luck with this where about 75% of the time I could get to the map by pressing on the left side of the touch pad. But it's awkward to hit that in any scenario. I don't think that was remappable.

But I hate, HATE, HATE the 180 turnaround on the touchpad. You want to know the last thing I want to do in the middle of a fight surrounded by enemies? Attempt to swipe my fat thumb gently up on the 2 square inches of real estate, without in any way pressing in the pad, and pulling up the menu or map by mistake.

gently caress it. To hell with all the touchpad poo poo. I played the hell out of that little Astro's Playroom tech demo thing, and the worst part by far is the touchscreen 'control a rolling ball' bit. It adds nothing.

I hope GOW NG+ allows for cutscene skipping

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, it would have been nice if there were two paths during that bit. One where you lose legitimately and it plays a cutscene where you are rightfully cut down, and another where you earn the satisfaction of handing him his rear end, and then still lose due to cut scene bullshit. I guess, given what happens in the story, if he wins that fight, then you need some even bigger deus ex machina to stop him from killing everybody.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SiKboy posted:

A normal hand can also use those things though.

Then do what MK9 did for Cyrax and Sektor. The alt costumes of those characters are their human forms, so they don't have cyborg enhancements, and those attacks have slightly different speed and damage numbers. So if you can beat that first boss, you still get the spear and grapple and whatever else, but since you are volunteering for hard mode, maybe the range is shortened or they don't hit as hard or are otherwise less effectivve.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

kazil posted:

Link is one of the greatest swordsmen in all the realm. He has the master sword, the hylian shield, 40 hearts and 50 defense. But a regular rear end bokoblin hit him and he's rolling on the floor for 10 minutes

You can be the best swordsman and still have a really low pain threshold.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SubNat posted:

I decided to check it out, only to be confused when steam said I already own it.
Was it some kickstarted game or something? I apparently played it back in 2017.

Anyhow: I ended up grabbing powerwash simulator.
I really loving hate how big objects will happily blink into perfect cleanliness while still dirty, but with smaller objects you sometimes have to pixel-hunt for grime.

And then you have an overview of what's left, but no indicators for what those things are.
On the playground the final thing finally started flashing after I'd taken 2 rounds trying to figure out what object I was missing.

(Really wish grime-o-vision would stick a little longer, and highlight objects if you hold it down.)

I will admit to playing the game through once normally and then using a cheat engine to have constant grime vision.

Then once with one-hit-kill mode. *PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!*

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

Talking about the pathing in BG3 is giving me flashbacks to the forge fight.

I just wanted you to move to the next platform, why did you drop into the lava instead of walking over that half foot gap!

I wish the game would warn you when your chosen path is going to end up with you eating 30 points of free damage. For that matter, I would also like a warning if my moves would proc an attack of opportunity. I know there’s an indicator that tells but it’s small, can blend in, and I’m usually looking at where I want my character to be, not where they currently are.

I feel like this is asking for a "Friendly DM" mod of sorts, and I think it would probably get annoying quickly. I can see it popping off and popping up a confirmation message multiple times during a move action. "That move will invoke an AOO. Do you wish to continue? Y/N" Over and over again.

The pathing should probably be smarter, but I get the feeling that BG3 is programmed from the perspective of a dick GM. I want to move from point A to B. Cool. You didn't specify moving around that thorny bramble, so I'm going to assume you wanted to take a straight path right through it. Oh, you want to undo that movement? Well, you're already gone past the hazard, so you retrace your steps and take damage coming back as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This is probably old content for this thread, but I picked up CP 2077 a few weekends ago, and overall it's actually good. I've managed to avoid any major bugs, clipping has been annoying, but not game breaking. I've had one minor recurring glitch where out of nowhere a solid black "thing" will appear directly in my field of vision, and then race towards the horizon before eventually disappearing.

I have three complaints at this stage (which is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way through by my guess)

First, I'm playing this on PS5 and it runs and looks great. But I'm playing it on a decent sized screen (36") and I can just barely read the descriptions while sitting on my couch 10ft away. Red text on a black background is not my friend, and it shouldn't be yours either.

Second, early into the game there is a side mission where you go all over town and challenge people to bare knuckle boxing matches, and if you aren't spec'ed out right, you'll go down in 1 or 2 hits. That's OK, it's a learning curve, and a solvable problem - I prefer flaming gorilla arms. What's broken, is that when you lose a match, you get dropped into a dialogue tree that has three options. 1) Rematch. 2) Rematch, but with higher odds and better rewards. 3) Maybe later. The problem with option 3 is it doesn't make you exit the conversation like the other 2 options do. And unlike walking away from a merchant or other non-story NPC, you get stuck in conversation mode. This means that you can't run, you can't use your detective vision/cyber eye, and probably other functions. The fix I've found so far is to either manually reload, or go get killed and respawn, and then everything works again. But it shouldn't really happen either way.

Lastly, and this one is unforgiveable in modern gaming, if you abandon side missions, you fail them and cannot retry. I had an early mission series pop up for helping retrieve rogue AI cars. The mission starts off pretty easy, find a car, drive it back to HQ with no damage. Next one is similar, find car, talk it down from suicide. Fine. Next one, it's a mad dog, put it down. OK, not super challenging. Then you get to GlaDOS. The idea is that you have to tail this car as it leads you down under a bridge and then eventually into a trap. Now you have to survive an ambush by 6-8 higher level enemies. These are enemies that take very little damage, and can kill me in 1 or 2 shots. I try several times as my save is about 5 seconds before the ambush happens, but I just can't do anything. So instead, I just book it, so maybe I can return after leveling up a bit. Nope. I get a big red bulletin on my mission screen showing that I failed the mission. Fine, I can surely call up the quest giver and try again, right? Nope, not an option. Doesn't appear on my to-do list. (Typing this out I just though to see if I can call the NPC again, but I kind of doubt it.) It's just so weird that I couldn't try again, except from that specific point in the mission.

But what AAA game in the last decade has a mission structure like that? In GTA or Skyrim or Fallout, if I get a mission and it goes tits up, I either wake up at a spawn point with a few less resources or I get auto-loaded to a recent save (that doesn't usually gently caress me over). And in both cases, I can move away from the mission area, regroup, stock up, and try again later.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

very risky blowjob posted:

What I will miss the most whenever I replay Cyberpunk 2077 is not being able to pause in the middle of a melee attack and then just leave the game running while a glitch spends the next half-hour feeding me Athletics XP

Man, I think that might be another love/hate thing, and it sucks because it's a game giving me exactly what I ask for. The terrible irony of getting exactly what you want.

I play Fallout and Skyrim and some of these other ARPG games, and the level ups are kind of pointless. Yeah, I can increase my points in small guns, or blocking, but that doesn't really stop me from using two-handed weapons, or sneaking or any of the other mechanics. But CP2077 really feels like while it doesn't block off my access to game mechanics, by spec'ing into a specific path, I do feel ineffective at certain parts of the game. Like my melee is really weak compared to my handguns skills, and while it doesn't stop me from being able to punch and swing a sword, it does limit my effectiveness doing those things.

I do kind of like that, because it does feel more like an answer to one of my problems with RPGs like this, where you can max out all the combat trees and be good, if not great, at everything and just cheese the game. Like Fable, a game with 3 attacks that you can level up (melee, ranged and magic) and there's nothing stopping you mechanically from maxing out each of those stats. And personally I like that it's restricting me a little bit. And if it really bothered me, I can respec at any point by just throwing money at the problem.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up Agents of Mayhem for practically nothing the other day, and I wish I could turn off the dialogue altogether instead of merely muting it. Every time I hear a character - any character - speak, I feel part of my soul dying just a little more. Every piece of dialogue is full of some lovely quip, one liner, joke, or Whedonism that really came to be emblematic of the last decade in popular culture. It feels like the perfect example you can point to if someone is asking about the death of sincerity in media. I really don't know what I expected; I'd heard the warnings, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

How's the gameplay? Also bad?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

50% armor boost but your boots loudly honk with every step

50% boost to armor, but -100% stealth penalty.

Unless you get an entire clown suit (Honking shoes, loose baggy pants, stuffed shirt, cotton gloves, red nose and fright wig). Then it becomes 200% stealth bonus because everyone actively ignores/avoids you. This locks you out of all face to face dialogue options though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

freelancer mode in hitman seems really loving cool but it adds so much weird new poo poo in scenarios that are ridiculously high-stakes that it's hard to actually figure some of it out before accidentally losing a campaign. i wish there was some kind of training mode where you could choose a level and type of scenario with a few complications if you feel spicy and run through it without tying it into the reward system

Doesn't Hitman have user created "Contracts" where you make scenarios like Kill person X using weapon (or weapon type) Y while wearing costume Z. Don't get spotted. Don't knock out anyone who is not the target. Final Destination. Slappers only.?

Couldn't you use that to make up a similar scenario like a freelancer stage? Yes, there are freelancer specific mechanics like find the npc with these attributes, and don't kill the wrong one, but for learning layouts of people and weapons, it should be useful

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm sure this is a classic complaint at this point, but the cars in CP2077 are just anti-fun to do anything with. They look cool; Even the beaters have a 1980s retro futurism that I like. But it's like driving a brick on icy road. As far as I can tell there's only like 4-5 racing missions, and they're easy as hell, so it's not too bad, but drat, do I dread any occasion where I have to drive a car. Motorcycles are a bit better, but I am really used to the GTA/Saint's Row school of if you run into anything solid at more than 20 MPH, you're going over the handlebars. Here, you have to hit something bigger and heavier than an SUV at over 100 in order to dismount or take any damage. It's nice for crossing the big empty desert ASAP.

Related to the above, I don't like that buying cars is a "job" for the local fixers. If it was ever a thing like "I need you to disappear this hot car before the cops come looking for it", that would be something. But all of those missions are just "Hey, heard you were looking for a new set of wheels". No thanks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Haven't played Cyberpunk but from both of your posts it sounds like they went overboard on giving players easy drifting?

I mean, it is beyond easy to do an Akira slide, but that's often not what you want to do.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Did they patch out the bug that let you use cards you don't have yet? That was some pretty fun Pokemon Red/Blue style jank. The worst were definitely the holy/dark cards whose enemies only existed near the end of that big gauntlet that unlocked based on, I wanna say, map completion.

Nope. Just straight up the same bugs and glitches that exist in the original.

And I still can't beat Dracula. :(

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SubNat posted:

I'm trying out Cyberpunk now again with the new 2.0 patch and all that. Let's not get into how they've made stealth netrunning really obnoxious, it might be there's some solutions to that later in the game.
(Any directed hack fires up a generic 'tracing' by the entire enemy base, can't neutralize a netrunner or anything, it's just a 'oh you used a hack, they'll detect you in a bit.')

Was literally just going to post this. I only picked up the game about 2 weeks ago, and was 90% through the story when 2.0 dropped. Because of the update all my skill points got refunded to be redistributed through the new system. OK, that's fine. But before the update I was a hacking god. I could kill just about anything with a single Shock attack, and if I was in stealth, only the person I targeted would be able to try and trace me. On the one hand, compared to 2.0 that tracing went really fast. OTOH, if the target died before the trace completed, the trace ended in a failure, and I could target someone else and still be in stealth. Now, the whole drat area is aware of me, unless I use one of the more or less pointless untraceable hacks.

I didn't really dive through the whole redesigned skill trees, so maybe there's something deeper in there where you can craft a version of a hack that is not traceable, but it uses way more RAM, and costs a lot of crafting materials. Or maybe there could be something like one of the cyberdeck implants where it can highlight what enemy is the netrunner and if you take them out they can't trace you.

Did it make the game way too easy? Maybe. But I put all this time and effort into becoming a literal cyber bully. How dare you take that way from me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Also forgot to add the sharp shrill chirp that comes out of the PS5 controller whenever you do almost anything in CP2077 is even more so now. Get a call on your phone? Chirp-Chirp! Text message? Chirp-Chirp! Get out of hacking a camera? Chirp-Chirp!. And there's no option to turn down the volume from the controller, it's either on or off.

Also, 2.00 seems to have broken the map and scanner interfaces just slightly. When on the map screen I have to hit O twice to exit back to the menu. When scanning I have to hit R1 twice to swap between target data and hacking info. The scan thing happens very rarely, but I'm in the map all the drat time. Annoying as hell.

Overall, I still really, really like the game. Setting is great, I really feel like I'm role playing a character, and there is a lot to just do. The missions are varied and the approaches really give a lot of freedom. It's a great game and I dig it. But there are a lot of little things keeping it from being everything it could be.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

Same with Cyberpunk too. Female V just had a waaay more characterful voice, especially whenever she was speaking as Johnny.

Doing my second playthrough as Female V, haven't gotten to those parts yet.

Have been called C*** more times in the first 30 minutes than I think I've ever heard in my life.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That was the poo poo that sucked the worst. I remember being 8 or so and renting the Batman Returns game from Blockbuster. I wasn't great at games so I put the difficulty to Easy. Get past the second level and then get the "Good job. Too bad you're too much of a wuss to see the rest of the game. Try again on a higher difficulty." message.

gently caress that. That's a lovely way to build your game. If you're going to do that, then don't have an easy mode.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

CyberPunk 2077

It's a little over 50 years in the future, in a timeline where cyber limb/organ technology is common enough that nobody blinks at people that are literally half robot parts. You can get robot powered gorilla arms that will poison your enemies, while you can use robo-psychic powers to set their brain on literal fire, perform a double jump, and fire a relatively normal rear end gun, that can shoot magical homing bullets. And you do all of that will bullshit eye implants that can, among other things, target and highlight enemies through solid walls.

You have access to that level of technology, but no one in this reality has ever heard of a flashlight?

It's so bizarre, because I'm on my second playthrough, and it's only happened a handful of times where the environment is dark enough that I really need that extra light source, and there's just nothing I can do about it but stumble around in the dark. But, I mean, with all the gizmos and doo-dads that I can attach to my guns, not one of them is a directed beam of light to illuminate my surroundings? No Night Vision implants?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I would say that the Dark Souls lore is classically bad because none of it is available unless you go into item descriptions.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Ahahahaha. The Republic version of the new story patch in Star Wars: The Old Republic, at least, requires a series of clickies. That can only be clicked by one person and have a several second respawn time. Huge crowds gathered around these spots spamming clicks trying to get them.

I'll come back in a week or two I guess. I thought MMOs had learned to not do this.

There's supposed to be a patch out today to fix that. Usually they aren't that quick on the draw, but they must have caught on to this one quick. (Not quick enough to fix it pre-launch obvs.)

Coolness Averted posted:

Did they ever rework the skills in SWTOR? It was wild how many design choices at launch were already a decade behind other MMOs, like 20 skill buttons or tanks and healers having to unlock basic toolkit abilities-with different unlock orders between classes.

Yeah, a few years back they did. My wife's been playing since release, and I was on it for maybe a year. They reworked the skill trees into something simpler probably around year 2 or 3.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Messenger is a pretty great game overall, with some decent platform puzzles that in general are optional for 100% completion. Most of them are challenging but fair, and it's rewarding when you work out the solution. But the biggest thing in the favor of those puzzles is there's no time constraint. You can look at the puzzle and see all the elements and how to get from point A to B to C and plan a route. And if you fail, it's not a huge setback, usually just a handful of screens to the last checkpoint.

Until you get to the post game bonus levels, and the final final boss. Or maybe penultimate, I'm not sure because I'm stuck. The last challenge is a race against a shadow copy of yourself like the Mario Sunshine and Galaxy games, where you race to some object. First one to 5 wins it all. But a) there are 10 possible courses, randomized; b) these courses tend to pull out all the tricks (invisible platforms, instant death floors, multiple cloud-step bouncing) c) at least one of these courses requires the opponent to flip switches so you can progress.

Some of those courses are OK, but for most of them, a single mistake can throw you off and make you lose, because the AI, while not unbeatable, doesn't make mistakes. And if you fall into an instant death plane, it just gives one point to the opponent, rather than respawning you with a penalty, restarting the course or the whole trial, meaning that there are courses that I haven't even seen what they look like beyond the second or third obstacle. It's a strange difficulty spike in what up to this point has been a frustrating but fair game otherwise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Splicer posted:

"Here's a tick box to give you all the DLC stuff don't click it on your first playthrough" too hard?

I'm wondering if it was a malicious compliance thing. Oh we need to include all the DLC? Blame the legal system for the port sucking.

You're not wrong, but as a developer which would you rather deal with? People who don't read the pop ups, who paid for the pre-order bonus stuff, and then miss out on the pre-order "God killer shotgun/coffee maker combo" at the start of the game because they ticked that box. Or, similarly, "I just paid $10 for this DLC which is supposed to gave me the Nya-Nya of power, but I have no idea where the forest of dank effect is, and I'm not going to hunt it down. I need to have it in my inventory, ready to go, no thinking required."

Sure, a checkbox at the start that says "Let me find the DLC goodies on my own" is a good idea, and I like it. But you want to cater to the lowest common denominator if you want to have the easiest implementation and the fewest support tickets. Personally, I see the "Give everything at the start" option as the lesser of two evils.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cyberpunk 2077 Why can I not have cosmetic robot arms and legs? Yes, I can have functional robot arms in 4 different flavors, but they all look basically like human arms with weird tattoos. And yes, not only am I usually wearing long sleeves, and even more to the point, opportunities where I can see my full character model in action are close to 0. But in a game engine, with a city where about 1 of every 4 pedestrians is someone rocking a homeless Johnny Silverhand look, and the tag along character, who lives in our head, is named Johnny freakin Silverhand, why can I not have a terminator arm?

It's not like I'm playing a game about pirates in the 1600's and looking for a future robot arm. I'm in a world where replacing broken (or even perfectly functioning human arms) with tricked our robot appendages is a solved problem. It's part of the setting.

I understand that it would probably cause graphical issues if you couldn't have 'skin' covering the cyberparts. It's minor, it's silly, it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest, but it just seems weird, right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Even worse if any of your party goes invisible and an enemy can't figure out what to do so it spends its turn doing the John Travolta meme.

This reminds me of a bug from the original KOTOR game. At about the mid-point of the game your team is captured and put in jail. Just before you get thrown in you pick one of your crew to use their special powers to rescue everyone else. So the droid goes into sleep mode and will wake up after X amount of time, or the old Jedi will use mind tricks. Or you can go with onw of the two women who can make themselves invisible. OK, that sounds good on paper. But apparently when you sneak back and try and talk with the rest of your crew you're trying to rescue, if you are still invisible, you don't register, even to friendlies. So, you are stuck in a frozen conversation prompt where your character can't be seen by allies, and you can't interact with anyone to actually unlock the cage. Because there's something about this being built on a D20 system, there was a rumor that apparently every few seconds it rolls an imaginary die to try and see the invisible character. If one character happens to roll an in game nat 20, then the scene will unfreeze (in theory), and you can continue. But I think that explanation is BS, because I don't think the game is doing checks every few seconds. I think it's happening before the cutscene triggers, and that's it.

From the Wiki:

quote:

If you manage to have a high enough awareness to spot Mission though, the game will continue as normal, although this isn't often because it uses your main characters awareness, and most people do not level up awareness for their main character but tend to level up a high stealth for Mission.

So if you min/max your stealth character, and you forget to turn off stealth before trying to trigger a cutscene, you might soft lock your progress, because your sneaky character is so sneaky, your main PC can't see them, and thinks they are being rescued by a ghost, and are so scared that they can't talk.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

The game really doesn't seem to be depicting what's described and pictured in that wikipedia article. And besides, that's "silvered glass", not "silver glass." The "silver glass" from BG3 is a thing you generally find sitting next to a "silver plate" and a "silver knife", is pretty clearly supposed to be made of solid silver, and it has flavor text describing it as a "silver cup" made of "metal."

I was going to post and agree with Dienes, but after reading your post I think you're closer. You're right, the less confusing term would be "Silver Cup", or "Silver Goblet". But instead, they seem to have gone with "Silver drinking Glass"

Poorly worded, and arguably technically correct, but confusing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

credburn posted:

I remember being an anal dick about games holding my hand too much. I wanted Morrowind level of assistance; a journal, a compass, a map. That's all I needed. Get the gently caress outta here with quest markers and arrows pointing at things.

Now in my old age, if I don't know exactly where I'm supposed to go after ten seconds of looking I start raging.

I just had this last night. Started playing Star Trek Online and one of the Tutorial missions is "Go explore the starting city". Here's the auction house, here's the shops, here's the healing station, etc. Then there's one for "Go see Garrula in the slums West of the fighting pit". OK, go to the slums, which are West of the fighting pit. There's no mission marker or named NPC around there. The quest marker on the map shows that the NPC is North of the slums, in a bar, North West of the fight pits. OK, maybe he wanders. Go to the bar, look around, plenty of NPCs, none named Garrula. I'm standing on top of the quest marker on the map, guy's not showing up. Go back around to the first area, no dice. Check the map because in a smart decision, all the NPCs show up there, and their names will pop up. Scan the entire map, cannot find this guy. Go back to the bar, walk around, still no joy. Finally, find that there is a side door in the bar which leads to stairs going down. Apparently, the bar itself doesn't count as the slums, but the basement does.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I would add that while you are correct about the melee weapons having limited range/use against small enemies or foes at angles, that's where the entire enemy skill function comes in to play. You may have to farm a bit to get the really useful shards, but you should be able to find 1 or 2 that will fit your basic attacking needs. I'm sure you're aware, but just adding it since you didn't mention it specifically.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Splicer posted:

Sounds like a no-win situation. Have you considered cheating?

A real Kobyashi-Mariner situation

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SilentChaz posted:

The Warhammer 40K DLC for PowerWash Simulator is great, even if I have no real familiarity with the setting. It's just fun to clean new and different things.

There's a small problem when you reach the end of a level and you get a checklist of the last few things that need to be cleaned and I have no idea what they are. So I just blast everything while slamming the "show dirt" button on the controller over and over and hope I get it. :v:

In the last level, there are areas that I can't seem to clean at all no matter how I position myself, what nozzle I use or wand I try. There must be something I'm missing, but I don't know what it is. :sigh:

iirc, it's some of the landing gear. I can get close enough to see it, but the spray or soap never cleans it.

I had a similar issue with the BTTF DeLorean and Train DLC levels. First of all the items in question have cutesy names like "Temporal displacement actuator" or "Inversion blingee", so it's kind of difficult to know what it is looking for. Second, there are a lot of tubes and pipes and wires that all need to be cleaned. But because it is a three dimensional object, either the pipes are on top of the thing that needs to be cleaned, making an obstacle that needs to be overcome, or it's the pipes themselves, but it's the underside that you can't easily see, much less spray clean.

I will say that if you go to the menu and look at the list of things that need to be cleaned, you can click on the item in that list and it will highlight and flash repeatedly until it is cleaned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

WWE2k24

It has a lot going for it, and while it has corrected a lot of jank from previous versions, there are a few things that annoy me.

Character Creation - It's big, there are layers and most of the navigation makes sense, but there are two big annoying things. First, there are some CAC items that are not available from the get go. They have to be unlocked by playing in other modes, or buying from the in-game store, which is fine. What I don't care for is that these items are strewn about the grid system, seemingly at random. There's no 'sort' option I've found to exclude items that I haven't unlocked yet. In fact, point 2 is that there's almost no sort system to speak of at all. If I want to pick out a hairstyle, I can categorize from All, Generic(?), Short or Long. OK, I guess. And technically, items appear in the same order across all 4 of those options. Hairstyle 26 will come after Hairstyle 23 in every list. But there's no label on anything and the preview is not very clear. Is the hairstlye in grid 7A a better look than the one in 8C? Who knows? If they were broken down into generic names like crewcut 1-14 at least I'd know what I was looking at, but when you have dreadlocks next to a mohawk, but separate from other dreadlocks it's a lot to figure out. And the clothes are just as bad. The difference between shirt A, B and C is that one is tucked in, one is not, and the third has an ugly little logo on it, but you can't see that from the preview window.

Maybe I'm missing something there, and there's a sort that I just didn't find yet.

EDIT: I remembered the other thing that kind of bugs me. There is a story mode for your created character to go through, and I think it's the same basic storyline from one of these games 20 years ago. You're an established, but low level, relative unknown wrassler, and almost immediately, you are thrown into a title match. You play through a certain part of that match when typical WWE scripted drama happens, and due to outside interference, you win the belt. Now everyone is looking to take it from you, and/or calling you out for cheating to win. Also, the guy who handed you the win is a piece of poo poo who insists on his superiority, but as of yet, I have no opportunity to make him eat his words. And that's more or less OK. I know there will be some big showdown or another to finish the story. But every match, minus 1 so far, has been a title match and a story failure if I lose. It would be boring as a viewer if this nobody came up at summer slam, won the title, and then every match after was for the title, and the holder won time after time. The game advertises branching paths in the story, how about an option where my OC loses and has to deal with that fallout? I screwed up, I need to fight my way back to get another shot at the title.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

more WWE2k24

Overall I really enjoy the Showcase mode, which is a look back at the last 40 years of Wrestlemania. What it does is pick out one or two highlight matches from past Wrestlemanias and have you reenact them by hitting specific moves at certain times, and do a transition between hands on gameplay, to an in-game cutscene, then to archival footage, then back to in game cutscene, and then back to game play. And I like that, it's pretty cool, and fairly challenging.

Until this latest one. I have to play this one match, and the AI is being incredibly cheap. In short there are two things that are annoying me. Firstly, as part of this recreation, you have to hit a finisher at some point fairly early in the match. That's not too difficult. By the time you hit this point in the checklist, you probably have at least one finisher bar filled. But one of the next items on the list is "Now, do a specific 3* finisher with your character here, and the enemy on the ground here". Except that you can only have a max of three finisher bars filled. And since you had to just spend one a minute ago, at best I have to spend 5 real world minutes attempting to build up that last bar, slowly, by doing basic moves. And how do you do that quickly? By doing a signature move, which uses a separate bar that builds more generously. Why not use the signature move? Because that same bar is your emergency "Escape a sudden pin" button. And you only get one of those.

Which brings me to point 2 - for some reason, the AI on this match is cranked to 11. I spend the first few minutes beating the absolute hell out of them, so they are weak in all stats, and their health bar is as small as it can go, but they are a counter striking, move reversing machine. And if they get on a roll, I can't reverse/dodge any of their moves. It's crazy to see the AI go from spending 90% of the match on their back, breathing heavy, barely able to do anything to stop me, to knocking me down three times from full health, and getting a 3 count with an impossible to escape pin.

But the most annoying thing is that they are gonzo for winning/losing by ring count out. Most of the time, you can toss the opponent outside and get a little breathing room, and the AI is decent about getting up and getting back in before the 10 count is reached. But every now and then, they are happy to lose by just letting time run out. Technically you win, and can advance to the next match, but you lose out on unlocking any of the goodies. The AI has done this to me three times in trying to beat this match.