Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

FS title away as overrated.

I once punched a demon through a house in Otogi. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Elden Ring continues the long video game tradition of dragons being incredibly poo poo to fight

If you use sorcery every Dragon is just a nail waiting for the hammer named space laser.

:science:

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jan 31, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Every time I try to like Rise it sucks. It feels incredibly shallow compared to World and has little to no tactile feedback on anything. (People say this is because its the "mobile" offering which ok maybe)

Why learn a map when you can just jump over everything? Environmental hazards? jump it. Monster flying away? So what you can fly too. The map might as well be flat for all it matters.

Id say that the one improvement it had was coop but literally every friend I had that played world bounced off Rise just as hard so even if the cutscene bullshit from world are gone so are all the people I played with.

Anyways its not just you that didnt like it

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They disappear? The caelid gently caress was one of the last bosses i beat in that game

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Honestly this is what kills WoA for me, the scale is all wrong and the levels are too big. Did they really need to have the town, the drug lord compound, the hidden tunnels and the coca fields on the same level? especially when you killed their family in Blood Money with only the compound and a few tunnels. Same with a lot of other levels, for example Mumbai has multiple city districts, an abandoned train yard and a high rise building in the same map, even when the BM had tall buildings it cheated and only really had like 3 floors, you just skipped the rest with the elevator. I know it's mostly for the bonus missions , but it makes it a whole lot less focused and having to run around a huge area to find the thing you need for a challenge or whatever really sucks and even more so in the freelancer mode. It also really sucks when one of the targets never really leave their designated area, so it really is two separate hits, just on the same map. The previous games were way more ok with splitting up a single contract across multiple levels( or even games) and they benefited a lot from that.

I don't disagree with you on this however as an aside i would suggest watching a speedrun of them because on some of the levels the scale can cause them to be very funny.

(This will not solve your issue but it might provide you with a new type of enjoyment)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least their lore is mildly funny

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I just do auto-complete for QTE. If the game wants to show me some big cinematic action sequence then yeah, do it! Don't toss it to me to screw up.

I dont disagree with this but some times failing a QTE is its own reward like in Wonderful 101

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

So here's a discussion topic inspired by my own grumblings over Master Chief Collection crowbarring loredump crap into Halo 1 that doesn't mesh with the actual game at all: What are some games that were made worse after the fact? I'm thinking moreso along the lines of re-releases/remasters than "Blizzard ruined WoW with a bad balance patch" or "the original PC port of Dark Souls was poopy" kind of stuff. I'm sure there's sequels out there that retroactively ruin the previous game(s) somehow too.

Just off the top of my head, IIRC, people have a bone to pick with the DS version of Chrono Trigger's bonus dungeon. You've got Final Fantasy X's super bosses stinking up the joint. And I think there was some kerfluffle about random new poo poo being slapped into Disco Elysium?

Destiny 2 took a lot of the implied lore from the first game around the human AIs and just loving chucked it out the window. Did that with a bunch of stuff and made it all a lot more boring

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Its because they made it semi mmo and learned nothing from WoW

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

i think the lesson they learned from wow is "we can do whatever and people will pay for it"

Good point

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

It was already a pretty big disappointment that nothing from 1 carried over.

This literally put me off playing three. If you are going to make a big "integrated" game respect my loving time.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

My JA3 annoyance: one merc's perk is to automatically generate two shaped charges (think grenades +2) per week.

Problem is, if said merc has a full inventory they don't pop over to another characters inventory, or the sector stash. They just poof into the ether.

Makes sense I mean they have enough why would they make more.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

AC Black Flag: I'm used to the franchise's "tail someone without arousing suspicion" missions, but I was not expecting to do one in my ship, following someone else's ship. Full on stealth map with enemy ship's cones of vision and everything. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was also very tedious and I hope I'm not dooming myself by saying that I hope these sequences aren't a mainstay for the game.

I remember them showing up but not often. But its been a bit

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm sick of janky AssCreed stealth missions. I've been at the same plot quest in Black Flag for probably five days now, it's a whole set of maybe ten instafail stealth sequences to get through with groups of enemies designed to sit around waiting half the time. I'm sick of doing them, only to gently caress up or fail because the knock out button doesn't quite trigger and I jump into combat yet again.

It's not even that long in total if you could just go straight through it, but I've been in a cycle of trying half a dozen times and going "gently caress this, I'll play something else" for almost a week. I know, best practice in this game is to just go off and do pirate stuff, but I keep running into things gated behind story progress and that's getting old too.

I could be causing you even more pain here but I feel like i remember the beserk darts not breaking stealth? So whoever you hit would run off to get killed and not be in the way anymore?

I may be misremembering though, i just remember beserk darts being wildly useful

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I figured there were probably some items I could be using to help out, but I don't have anything beyond smoke bombs. I just haven't really seen anything at all in the game telling me what new equipment might be available or pointing me towards it, I'll probably just try to get out of the mission and look up where to find some stuff like that.

Yeah that may help i dont know what the darts are gated behind unfortunately, been a long time and it may actually be a stealth mission though so oof.

The darts are really helpful but i remember being stunned that the tranq dart was less useful when stealthing than the berserk because beserk could get up to two enemies removed without triggering an alarm (somehow?!)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like i can see eternity

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rise also feels like garbage to play.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Starfield: In hindsight Outerworlds was an 8 out of 10"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
AC3 would have been "fine" if it didnt have loving "oops you cant kill this person yet your not skilled enough" gated enemies. I hated that poo poo.

Rest was eh and fine.

Black flag made up for it tho

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Destiny is probably the best example of a bad way to do lore where the only way to get it was an app outside of the game.

This is from two pages back and I dont care. I have to quote it to agree.

They also decided not to have interesting plotlines ever again in the second game which was a bold move cotton

Edit:

Zero_Grade posted:

Hell yeah they do

All the ingame effects still apply of course.

Is there actually an effect? I was playing and saw that and thought it was just a funny pop up.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Picked up Cyberpunk on a whim and the whole game feels like a studio western set. They may be telling a compelling story (which remains to be seen) but a lot of the time i attempt to engage with something i find its a half implemented facade.

I'm barely in it though so maybe it gets better.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Go try Alien: Isolation

Such a good game. Also terrifying

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm aware this makes me a piss baby idiot but Far Cry 5 was the exact opposite of a story i needed to hear in 2018 post Trump. Game sucked rear end

The crazy militia people win was not a fantasy i wanted to live in at the time because it was reality

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I understand why people hate it, but the ending of 5 isn't a complete non-sequitur and I sort of almost like it. But also so much of the rest of the game sucks and I'm pretty sure Joseph is written as having magic powers, which bugs me way more.

I didn't think it was a non-sequitur. I thought it was loving stupid.

Ubisoft caught something dumb from their Tom Clancy wing and it seeped into the rest of their garbage.

Presto posted:

I will join your piss baby idiot club.

All are welcome. Name tags are to the left of the coffee machines

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

The SH1 piano puzzle is the worst actually: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Piano_Puzzle

This didnt link to a post on the SH circumschism and that is dragging me down

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Stop picking the Titanic! Of course you win if you have that! Its back funnel folds down to become a booster its unfair!

hydro thunder is so fun

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

That is without doubt the worst pirate game I've ever heard of

But you have heard of it

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If streamers have revealed anything its that Gamers are loving stupid and unobservant at best.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Being a cyborg means his underwater jumping is leagues above everyone else's.

He has internal cybernetic air sacs because dr. Light foresaw this.

i have no idea. the only megaman fact i know is that the opening theme to 2 slaps

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

I just vaporised everything with a gigantic laser.

This was how i beat Elden Ring and it is the way.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Everytime i think "maybe i should try a mmo again" i am reminded why thats an absolutely terrible idea

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Feb 28, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pepsi

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was me. I love them.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Borderlands did Kreig dirty and ill never forgive it

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

all this reminds me of the insane nerd fandom with claptrap including apparently having him officiate an IRL wedding.

Holy hell i have never been happier to have no idea what someone is talking about

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Are pants only cosmetic in Cyberpunk? I get rid of any clothes that don't give a bonus, and I'm 35 hours in and so far all I have is upper body stuff, and I'm just running around town with my dick flopping around everywhere.

Tell me you modded cyberpunk without telling me you modded cyberpunk

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

It's vanilla Cyberpunk. Dick-floppage is an integral part of the experience.

They must have changed something then as my memory is they removed the nudity from everything except the inventory screen and a few specific scenes.

Which is fine but honestly very funny considering the marketing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Ah god dammit, Cyberpunk 2077 has one of those "don't let that car get away!" quests that's bugged as hell. I don't know what's causing it, but I keep failing the mission. The truck slows to a crawl, and the guy goes "AH YOU'RE USELESS! THEY GOT AWAY!"

But the car we're pursuing is right in front of us. It hasn't gotten away. Am I being spotted, maybe? Am I not supposed to be spotted? Because it's definitely not "getting away", that's not what's happening :mad:

edit: this quest is garbage. Three different times the quest ended early and I "failed" because "he got away." I still don't know what's triggering that. It also has this annoying thing where cars drive out in front of you, which makes sense because it's supposed to be dramatic, and difficult, this car chase, except that none of the other vehicles that get in your way are obeying traffic signals! So what, are they all working for the guy I'm tailing?

Then we finally reach the guy I'm tailing, and I kill him. This doesn't cause me to fail the quest, but the guy I'm next to is still shouting at him, and then he just dies. Nothing killed him, but he's now dead.

So what the gently caress. So I reload. Apparently I'm supposed to let the two argue and then he gets shot. BUT I also learned, you can kill the bad guy with one shot if you do it before he kills the guy who gave me the mission; if you try to fight him AFTER he kills the guy, for some reason he's super ultra mega powerful and annihilates me.

God dammit this quest is buggy as gently caress.

edit: oh I looked it up and everyone hates this quest, but they seem to mostly hate it for what comes after. I think the biggest problem with this is... you're not supposed to get too close to the tailing car or "it gets away." I presume you also shouldn't let it get too far away but I've let it get 100+ meters away and it doesn't seem to trigger the mission failstate. Even though you're there to help your client, you're definitely not supposed to protect him, because he is scripted to die, even if the person killing him is already dead. You're also not supposed to kill the guy who kills your client, but just let it happen and then talk to him. This is just an awful quest by design and is so incongruous with how every other quest I've played so far has been.

Skip it, its garbage.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

No, getting the currency to unlock them takes place in your first three games. But it's put in a place that is otherwise for cosmetics (and in other games, is entirely for cosmetics) that you're never actually pointed to.

I spent that currency on cosmetics before I realized that the gun on that screen wasn't a cosmetic.

I am blind and it is the games problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or has eyes and the ability to perceive differences between things.