Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Andorra posted:

I've been replaying Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and while it's a pretty enjoyable game, I had forgotten just how bad the first boss, Mogenar, is.

For those of you haven't played the game or have somehow forgotten the tedium, the only way to damage Mogenar is by shooting 4 small red orbs on him, except they're only shown for about a second at a time and when they aren't shown you can't damage him. Shooting the orbs makes them gradually turn white then break, but whenever you aren't shooting them they heal. And since sometimes he covers the orbs for a long period of time, they often completely heal.

So then you finally break an orb and you can actually damage him by destroying the spot the orb was in. The only way to do this is by shooting at the slot in hypermode (hope you have the 100 energy hypermode requires), all while the slot is still being covered most of the time. And if you can't destroy the slot fast enough he uses a move that replaces the orb. Good luck stopping the move on the hardest difficulty!

They don't heal. They move around. The orbs switch what spot they are in. Also, the move that replaces/heals the orbs is also your key to getting more energy to use hypermode. Destroy the hands to get pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Leal posted:

Final Fantasy 14:

This little fucker right here. You get 3 daily quests from this one NPC, and almost every drat day I have to do this one where its a transportation quest. Transportation quests are you carrying something somewhere, you're timed and every time you're hit you lose time. For this particular one you lose 10 seconds out of 50, and you need to run to specific spots to get your time reset to 50.

And this little fucker right here, every time I do this quest I need to run past him. There is no way to sneak around him (and even then maybe I'm just getting lucky, I thought enemy detection is based on line of sight but I've been wrong many times running behind something just for it to instantly turn around and sucker punch me) and you can't fight back, you can't sprint. So this little fucker attacks you and you'll lose 10 seconds of your time. And he'll chase your rear end, and he throws lightning balls at you so he doesn't even need to be near you. Once he starts casting that spell is going to hit you unless the rng decides that you dodged the attack. He attacks like every 2 seconds and you wont be at a full 50 seconds when you get to him. So in like 6 seconds he can bring you from 30 seconds (if you're lucky to arrive with that much time) to 0 and you have to restart all over. If you kill him and run all the way back to pick back up the item you're transporting he would of respawned by the time you get back. You need to rely on another player to kill him/distract him to get past him without him loving up your quest.

I really loving hate this guy.

I assume 14 works like 11, so some mobs work on LoS, some work on sound, some work on scent. Get a deodourizer or whatever it's called, see if that helps.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiggum posted:

How does this even happen? What is the supposed point of those tutorial tips that convey no information? It can't be a left-over console tutorial thing as far as I can see, since gamepads don't have a "fist" button either.

If I recall, that example is from Assassin's Creed, and the buttons were Xbox colour coded, even on the PC version.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'd say it works really well though. It's a big fuckoff circle that speeds up when you're not on an option and slows down when you are. Makes navigation of weapon and power select faster.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ryoshi posted:

I really could not disagree more - I manage to overshoot the edges of my inventory consistently.

And on top of that, even if it WAS perfect for heat-of-battle inventory management, it's still dumb as hell for stuff like selecting your character at the beginning of the game and the In Orbit screens. When you're in orbit, there is only one of two possible buttons on the entire goddamn screen, SELECT DESTINATION or LAUNCH. There's no button to "click" them, you have to go over with the mouse cursor and select them every time.

Well, you're absolutely allowed to not like it, and I will admit to overshooting my weapon when switching and needing to reopen the fly out, but I don't think you can reasonably say that the interface was designed for PC just because of the cursor aspect. Remember, the game was at no point destined for PC. I think they just wanted to try something different.

I feel it was more hit than miss, but I can see others not liking it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ryoshi posted:

It's a really good thing that I never said anything of the sort then, isn't it?

It just stands out as a poor design choice (particularly on those screens I mentioned before with literally only a single option) in what's otherwise an extremely polished game.

Ryoshi posted:

The menus in Destiny are atrociously bad and seem to be designed for a mouse.

Sure as gently caress reads like it. Not like mice are loving common on console. :colbert: Qualifies as "of the sort".

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

Also, just read that Bungie is patching Destiny next week to change the way Engrams work. They'll no longer give an item of lesser rarity and are supposed to be adjusted so that they more frequently give a higher level one instead. For example, I've played the game for over 30 hours and had the higher level thing happen exactly once.

I got an exotic machine gun out of a purple. :p

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Firstborn posted:

- Black Flag: Nobody cares about the Animus stuff. Please stop loving doing this. You are doing something cool, and get to break immersion and drive the pacing to a goddamn stand still while you walk around a big metacommentary on how hard it is to be a video game designer. gently caress you, Ubi Soft.

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
At this point I think jumping on Tiggum is simply the cool thing to do. If you actually read what he says instead of assuming he's saying something wrong, it's pretty reasonable. Mechanics like Assassin's Creed that show you the stuff on the map after you sync, and give you a list of the collectables is basically what he seems to be talking about. And he's right. poo poo that drags down games for me is when I have 1 collectable left and no clue where it is, or which I've collected.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

For some reason in Shadow of Mordor when you get the Brand power it doesn't really make a lot of sense because you just start using it when someone tells you that you need to build up an army of orcs.

Yeah, that was dumb. I get that you've technically been using brand to get Intel, but it comes across like "hmm, I can actually NOT kill them..." Kinda silly.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

oldpainless posted:

In 'The Evil Within' somewhat early in the game, you're in a village and you need a chainsaw to cut a chain and you have to fight this crazy chainsaw guy in a barn and I just cannot beat him. I'm low on ammo and like 8 other enemies spawn when he shows up and I have died like 15 times to this guy and I am really getting annoyed.

I just know 15 year-old-me could have sliced and diced this guy but my skills are fading like so much dust in the wind :(

Flash bolts helped me there. Can you make any?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

My real problem with that game is that it combined a bunch of roguelike features with a huge emphasis on grinding stats that persist between playthroughs. I feel like those two things just don't go that well together.

Well, as the flip of your coin, I was grateful for the persist stats, and it's why I hate most Rogue-likes. I hate playing for an hour+ and having nothing to show for it with a couple seconds bad play.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Colonel posted:

EarthBound has some really great and fun writing, but it's a perfect example, at least for me personally, of a game where I have to deal with some really, really unfun turn-based combat for all the stuff I love about it. I don't even really know what about the combat irks me in particular, I just really don't like it.

Get your speed up scrub, and attack from the back. Can't hate the fighting if you instawin.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm ~6 hours into Alien Isolation and there's a lot of really good things about it. However I currently have over 40 revolver bullets along with a large number of flares, flashbangs, sound grenades, pipe bombs, molotovs, and EMP grenades. I'm pretty much carrying 50 kg of throwable items around.

If I use literally any of this even once the alien will show up within five seconds, no matter where it is (which doesn't mean much anyway because it teleports anytime you put down the motion tracker for a half second), instakilling me if I'm not rubbing my face under a desk already or just instakilling all the human enemies in the area anyway (making the item pointless). I have no idea why I have all of this poo poo, and even if I do use a single item a single time safely, it will result in another exciting 30 seconds spent sitting in a locker or under a desk waiting to be able to play the game again.

Maybe this changes at some point but I have no idea why I have all these options when they all functionally do the same thing which is "call the alien who just kills everything."

Most throwables are for herding the Alien. Toss a flashbang or flare down a hallway, or in a side room, it goes in there, giving you time to go the other way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Chard posted:

Ground Zeroes doesn't want to play nice with my dualshock4 and I bought the drat thing for couch based sneaking missions. If anyone else has solved this I'd really appreciate the tip.\

E: this is on PC if that wasn't clear

Go ask in the PS4 thread in games. People go there all the time for help with ds4 to pc issues.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DStecks posted:

OK, wow, I know this will not be the first or thousandth time his has been said, but the gunplay in Alpha Protocol is un loving playable. I'd heard it was going to be bad, but nothing can prepare you for the total shitness of Alpha Protocol's gameplay.

(the stealth and cover systems aren't hot either)

Because it's an RPG, not a shooter, but it REALLY wants to be a shooter. I can understand people not being able finish it because of that, but the thing dragging AP down for me is there won't be a sequel where they get to fix the problems.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alteisen posted:

Destiny PvP is such garbage that I refuse to believe any talented employees at Bungie actually worked at it, the maps are crap, the lack of balance in any aspect is astonishing and right there's a mode where level advantages matter and there's no soft level cap to join, so if you saddled with low levels you might as well just quit the match because there's no hope of winning.

It really rewards the top players to, if you're good you get your super faster which is basically a no effort auto kill or kills depending on your class and 90% of the time the top players are using the most broken weapons in the game, on top of their map knowledge, great players are usually terrors, in Destiny a great player might as well have god mode on.

Get gud scrub. Seriously, everything you say is false. There's data from previous Iron Banners that low level players do quite well, super charge rate increases with time alive, which matters more than kills, and weapons are constantly tuned to Nerf standouts. There's complaints to be made, but you missed every legit one.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Tiny Tina was Terrible and the Loot Lamentable.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Elysiume posted:

I wonder if real police have this problem.

Ambulances do. I saw an ambulance with full lights and sirens go through an intersection where everyone was stopped, and someone hit the ambulance in the side right by the rear tire. It was loving ridiculous.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

Just in case you're reading and want help, raise your vitality. Run for 30 as quickly as possible, then slowly bump it up to 50. Also, sometimes you can parry with a blunderbuss. I find it more forgiving, even though I'm in love with the pistol, when I'm not using something twohanded. Once I hit 1000 hp, pretty much nothing can one-shot me.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Poulpe posted:

Bloodborne-

-For some reason you have to manually compare stats of equipment in the shop against what you're wearing because apparently it's 1992.
-For the most part, the chalice dungeons offer rewards for opening up more chalice dungeons. It never really felt "worth it" except to squeeze a bit more gameplay out, and in my experience the "randomly generated" setpiece arrangement really takes away from the experience. It doesn't help that they threw a pile of exclusive bosses/content into it.
-There was a lack of weapon/build diversity. Save for a select few choice weapons, many were just strictly inferior to others. (Looking at you, stake driver/tonitrius.)
-The armor choices available are for the most part cosmetic, with underlying "Play dress-up to make people happy with you" mechanics. This isn't mentioned anywhere in game.
-"Oh, another four-legged boss, I wonder if the safest place is between its legs."
-Whyyyyy did they make playing with friends such a trial?!
-Kind of an abrupt conclusion in my opinion, though all of the Souls games have kind of done this "you are a part of something grand, piece it together" thing.

I definitely enjoyed the game and the art design/aesthetics of the universe knocked it out of the park, but, yeah.

The only random chalices are the Root chalices. And gently caress the chalices anyway, I'm having to play them because one weapon is in Ailing Loran.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
One changes to reflect the state of the town and power thereof, and offers an alternate way to access resources. The other is a screenshot. It's not a huge leap to see why people prefer something dynamic over static, and it's idiotic to pretend people are stupid for wanting dynamic, changing cities in a strategy game with a big focus on building cities.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alouicious posted:

actually i think you will find that the pictures we are looking at are BOTH screenshots

You are funny, and never let anyone tell you otherwise :)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

oldpainless posted:

More like Gora Croft
This needs more love.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

death .cab for qt posted:

Dark Souls II has the best durability system. Everything has fairly low durability, it automatically repairs at bonfires, you pay souls to fix items at a blacksmith otherwise, and weapons have a little bar below their icon on the HUD showing how much durability is left.

Your items are never destroyed, just rendered temporarily useless, and it forces you to diversify your weapons in order to survive extended exploration trips.

Playing for the first time, I'm going to disagree. It's hard enough managing equipment weight and stat requirements, so why should I have to also deal with the poo poo breaking, or running back and respawning everything, and repair powders don't even fix weapons to 100%. Dark Souls 2 has too many mechanics going on to make durability a good addition.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm getting pretty sick of the main threats in Dying Light being the zombies that spawn behind you the moment you turn around and the fall damage which is basically a dice roll. Sometimes you can jump off a bridge, nbd, other times half a foot takes half your health off.

Get the skill that lets you roll out of a fall, mash button every time you jump. Not a fix, but it's finally reduced my falling deaths to less than regular zombies.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RyokoTK posted:

I actually think GTA 5 handled this really well. The GPS in the mini-map is really useful, it plots a smart and direct route to your goal and draws a path on the streets in the mini-map... but if all you do is stare at the map, you're going to slam into other cars constantly and never get anywhere. So you have to use the map smartly, figure out how many blocks you need to go before you turn, and actually pay attention to where you're driving.

That's not actually fixing the problem he's talking about. Saint's Row 3 putting giant "turn here" arrows in the world instead of just on the map fixes the problem.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Morglon posted:

Well yeah my point being it's super bloody and you pretty much get covered in that poo poo but somehow that didn't bother German censors at all. It's all kind of uneven.

"fantasy violence"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Morglon posted:

Oh so you mean just because they're green and talk funny and aren't actually people they're not people? That's just racist.

gently caress you.

It's specieist.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Brain In A Jar posted:

I just beat the long, boring and uninspired boss that has weak points you need to to access, but the game hints are vague enough, and the game buggy enough, that you accidentally score a hit and then spend 20 minutes running around confused, trying desperately to replicate what you did before, like some kind of cargo cult tribe member, then you get sick of being exploded into a pile of limbs and rolling your head over to your torso only to find that the hitbox won't let you connect so you have to blast your way to the other side of the room and try again to avoid the vacuum cleaner game-over spineballs, then getting tired of this so you go to look it up on gamefaqs but the game is so dire that no-one has ever even written a gamefaqs guide, leaving you to go to some shady-rear end GameCheats site and find the inane forums postings of some weirdo who actually enjoyed this shitshow and try to decipher what the hell they meant when they typed out this vague and typo-ridden mess of an internet comment, then go back and figure out the gimmick by yourself, which in hindsight was obvious, but only in one of those 'it's really obvious, all you have to do is do the thing that's really easy when you have prior knowledge' kind of way, then get to the second phase, which involves you hurling a piece of your body across the room and hoping that the boss AI RNG decides that today's your lucky day to do the one attack that lets the weak point appear and you can knock out maybe 1/5 of its hit points and do this whole loving debacle over again.

Sounds like my first date.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kaubocks posted:

Couple hours a night on weeknights, marathon sessions on weekends because I'm an enormous loser with nothing better to do? :confused:

4 hours on weekdays, 10 hours Saturday and Sunday. Don't admit this poo poo dude. Have a little loving self-respect.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I picked up Shadow of Mordor for the 360 the other day, and while I've grown to really enjoy it, there's a lot of technical stuff that's bogging it down for me.

First of all, it's clearly a next-gen game they dumbed down for those of us with old consoles. The load times are as annoying as they are frequent (MENU SCREENS SHOULD NEVER HAVE LOAD TIMES, DAMMIT), the FMVs stutter and flicker, the audio cuts out at odd intervals, and the FPS is less than stellar. I'll accept a little cut content here and there -- because there's only so much a 360 can do compared to a PS4/Xbone -- but there's no excuse for the game to look as muddy and play as shoddily as it does.

It puts me in mind of Sonic Unleashed for the PS2, which is about as damning an admission as one could make for a game.

Get a real console.

Eta:saw your post in the other thread. apologies.

Bunni-kat has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Sep 27, 2015

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

aardwolf posted:

iD Software spent years claiming "Doom 3 is not too dark! Shooting at enemies that you can't actually see is a fun mechanic!" and yet the very first thing they did with the BFG edition was make the whole game brighter and attach flashlights to all the weapons. I'm glad they finally fixed it but they still pulled their collective head out of their arse about eight years too late.

I feel like if Doom 3 was called Captain Grimace's Terrifying Space Adventure it would have been more liked because it would not have Doom baggage, like shooting lots of things with big guns as fast as possible.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alteisen posted:

I understand why Destiny removed re-rolling weapons, everyone just rolled for the same perks cause they where the best for any given weapon, but it kinda sucks to have to wait an entire week to get a gun from the gunsmith and the perks are kinda bad for its type, I mean hipfire for a scout rifle? When the gently caress am I gonna use that, scouts are strictly long/mid range.

Everything is a point blank weapon. Every. Thing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sleeveless posted:

she gets away scott-free because she's still a kid and you can't kill kids in Bethesda games.

Also how Alpha Protocol had the mute teenage girl assaasin in a creepy pseudo-incestuous relationship with her adopted father/handler but since they don't give a specific age in the final game it's totally cool.

But at least you can kill her in Alpha Protocol.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aphrodite posted:

Religions adapt. You can sure as hell bet today wasn't something they thought possible when they wrote the Bible but they change all kinds of stuff to stay with the times.

Not nearly enough.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

Cavia does for sure. To get the True Ending in most of their games you have to get all the weapons and, if I'm remembering right, upgrade them to the max level. In Drakengard and its sequels this is not only an incredibly mind numbing task but a lot of the weapons are hidden in hosed up obscure places like "go to one specific map, wait five minutes and run to a room you have literally no reason to go to because there's nothing there, and a chest will spawn containing a useless sword" kind of poo poo. There was also one achievement in Nier that was 100% RNG. You could grow flowers, a completely pointless task but it was neat. You bred the flowers into different colors and very, very rarely you could get a white one that came with an achivement. Flowers grew in real time. People put their PS3 clocks years ahead in gradual flower growth increments and still never got the drat thing just because of bad luck.

Neir also has an ending that deletes your save completely. Hope you finished 100%ing before getting that ending.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

To get it you pretty much have to 100% the game though. Oh and here's another one, about Nier. The game is divided into two parts like Ocarina of Time's young and adult link bits, except you can't go between them at will. There are separate achievements for beating the first part's bosses under certain times but the only way to replay the first bit is to start a new game.

No. You don't. Ask me how I know, and how I'm still missing ending C.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing flower.

Nope. I beat the game for ending A. Did one run through NG+, got ending B. I didn't have all of the weapons, or side quests, or anything completed, and said at the end of run three "yes, I will give up my existence" and then watched the game delete everything. I have no excuse beyond not having played a Cavia game before so I didn't think they actually meant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SkeletonHero posted:

You must have had all the weapons, because that's the requirement for C and D endings. The only deciding factor is the prompt at the end.

You were so close.

Maybe I did, was a while ago. But also, gently caress.

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting, but doesn't the last confirmation prompt for that ending just break the forth wall and say "This is actually going to erase your save"?

Did you see the part where I said I didn't believe it? Dumb of me, I know, but I'd never run in to anything like it before. I thought it was a test.